MUFE Mat Velvet discussion

Junkie

Re: Velvet Mat + application

I don't use a primer at all - just moisturize right before.

I then apply the foundation directly from the bottle onto my face - from the "spout" in little waves or swirls concentrated where I need it the most; ie. long the cheeks, down the temples, along the forehead, center of nose, dotted around the upper lip and across the chin.

I then take the brush (similar to the MAC 168), spray it a few times with Fix+ (not too wet), wave it a bit to dry it and get it into the bristles, then buff in and out all over my face.

When I'm done I just touch up with my fingertips (around my eyes, nose, lips, and along my cheeks where I have some acne scarring).

Works like a charm everytime.

I only ever "set" it when I really need the extra coverage with MUFE Duo Mat by pressing the sponge pad into my oily areas rather than rubbing. You could also use a brush to do it all over for a lighter application.

Meisje

I had issues with MUFE face products in the past. I emailed them, and they responded saying that you should use a primer and that using your fingers basically destroys the formula and that you should NEVER use your fingers to apply their face products.

I never got them working any better using a brush, though. I think they just don't work with certain kinds of oily skin.

Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisje
I had issues with MUFE face products in the past. I emailed them, and they responded saying that you should use a primer and that using your fingers basically destroys the formula and that you should NEVER use your fingers to apply their face products.

I never got them working any better using a brush, though. I think they just don't work with certain kinds of oily skin.

lol, thats just fancy talk for "buy our already overpriced primers and make-up brushes"
tong.gif

monter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie
I don't use a primer at all - just moisturize right before.

I then apply the foundation directly from the bottle onto my face - from the "spout" in little waves or swirls concentrated where I need it the most; ie. long the cheeks, down the temples, along the forehead, center of nose, dotted around the upper lip and across the chin.

I then take the brush (similar to the MAC 168), spray it a few times with Fix+ (not too wet), wave it a bit to dry it and get it into the bristles, then buff in and out all over my face.

When I'm done I just touch up with my fingertips (around my eyes, nose, lips, and along my cheeks where I have some acne scarring).

Works like a charm everytime.

I only ever "set" it when I really need the extra coverage with MUFE Duo Mat by pressing the sponge pad into my oily areas rather than rubbing. You could also use a brush to do it all over for a lighter application.

How does it wear on you? I guess I mean both how long does it last and does it sink into your pores/separate or whatnot. Because I've tried it with primer and without (both silicone based and non), with setting (MSFN) and without, with brush and with fingers... and it always ends up looking not very flattering within a few hours - doesn't matter if I'm in the heat/humidity or not.

I'm thinking it's just not meant to be for me.
ssad.gif
I really want to love this foundation, but it's just not workin'.

makeba

Monter what are you putting on your skin to cleanse it? Do you cleanse, tone and moisturize and then put primer on? Since I started using a toner I have noticed a big difference in my skin during the summer months at least. toning helps then I use a lightweight moisturizer with a low spf on my face very lightly becuz I know I have oily skin but need the spf protection. I put on my primer first and let it sink in for a few minutes before I begin my makeup routine. I have the Korres primer and you dont need a lot only a dime size amount for the entire face should do. I use the blender sponge damp to apply my foundation and it works but you have to work a little faster at blending. I hate to see this not work for you. My summer makeup routine differs from my winter routine so maybe try altering it a bit.

monter

I usually do my makeup right after I get out of the shower/finish my face routine, so--

Mornings I rotate cleansers - I've been using Lush's Herbalism (which is for oily skin, exfoliates a little too), Lush's Ocean Salt (exfoliator), or Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Anti-Blemish/Anti Wrinkle. I tone with Tea Tree Water or Eau Roma from Lush, and use Lush's Paradise Regained moisturizer (for oily skin + SPF 15). I let my moisturizer sink in for maybe five minutes, then put MAC's Refined Zone on my nose and cheeks, and whatever other primer I'm using (I've tried Smashbox, Victoria's Secret, Korres, and Lorac) on the rest of my face. I wait another five-ten minutes beore applying Velvet Mat (I use a 109 brush, and it applies fine and looks nice at the beginning of the day! it's just after a few hours when it starts to look bad), apply blush, set with MSFN. I've tried misting with Fix+ afterward too, but I don't think it makes a difference.
ssad.gif

Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by monter
How does it wear on you? I guess I mean both how long does it last and does it sink into your pores/separate or whatnot. Because I've tried it with primer and without (both silicone based and non), with setting (MSFN) and without, with brush and with fingers... and it always ends up looking not very flattering within a few hours - doesn't matter if I'm in the heat/humidity or not.

I'm thinking it's just not meant to be for me.
ssad.gif
I really want to love this foundation, but it's just not workin'.

Its probably been the best foundation for me in terms of my skin looking even and flawless - at first. I work 8 hour days in the heat and humidity so I can sweat and this is its only downfall. My skin in oily, however my forehead seems to be the only place where you can really see this. I like it, but sometimes it feels too heavy for the summer. I don't use primer as my skin reacts to it (dries it out completely to the point of flaking). I don't recall it separating or looking cakey/seeping into my pores. But a lot of my foundations (different brands, not just MUFE) seem to react with my powdered blushes and do this.

The only one I really liked the most and saw little oil or cakey-ness was the HD foundation. That with Duo Mat overtop made my skin flawless, but SUPER fake looking. It was too perfect. I'll have to try the combo again, but with Fix+ overtop.

makeba

Monter I wonder if you can skip using the Refined Zone product and go right to the primer. You could be putting to much on your skin so the foundation is just setting on top and not sinking in like it should. try that and see what works. Girl look i am gonna make this work for you if it pains me!!
smiles.gif

rachel89

I love using the Studio Tools skunk from Target with the Mat Velvet+ foundation. (sadly that brush is D/C now, but I still see it on clearance at some of my Targets.) I find that it gives me a very even, airbrushed finish.

Oh, and I use the MUFE HD primer underneath too
smiles.gif

Eye_ronic

has anyone tried the Sephora platinum brush #55 with this foundation????

jazmatazz

When I wore this everyday I used the MAC 109 to buff it out. Since it dries pretty quickly you have to work pretty fast. I would just squeeze out a little for whichever area I was doing (cheek, forehead, etc) and once done with that area squeeze out some more for the next.

Lovely foundation!

EmilyIsElectric

MUFE Mat Velvet + help!

Hey guys, I really hope some of you can help me with this. I've been stuggling to find the right foundation for a ridiculously long time, I've been using Estee Lauder Doublewear for some time now, but it just doesn't seem to be cutting it for me. I have been matched to Desert Beige in the doublewear, if this helps. Although I find the undertone not quite now - it looks a little pale, but too pinky/orangey
ssad.gif

I'm not sure on my mac colouring I'm afraid. Perhaps nc 25?
Anyway - after lots of research I've decided I want to purchase the MUFE Mat Velvet + as I haven't yet found a foundation that can last on my oily skin and provide me with the the flawless finish that I want.

The problem is, there is nowhere that I can get my hands on this foundation in England aside from buying it online - which I don't mind except for the fact that I can't check the shades.

When I was in New York last year I bought the HD foundation and was matched to the shade 117 which was WAY too pale for me, but the undertone was good.

I hoped some of you might be able to help me find out what shade I am. All I know is that I need one with yellow/olive/tan undertones as opposed to pink ones.

I've included some pictures of me:
Natural light, wearing no makeup (I'm on the right)

Unnatural light with flash

Natural light (I'm on the left)

Thanks so much for your help!