Music that moves you?

V15U4L_3RR0R

The reason I post this is out of curiosity and because I got some mind.in.a.box CD's today and they totally move me. They just resonate with me completely. They can make me feel, Happy, sad, crazy and euphoric. Often at the same time as well lol.

So what moves you? I'm sort of interested to see what everyone has to say.

Chic 2k6

any rock ballads sung by Guns N' Roses such as:

November Rain
Don't cry (original)
Knocking On Heaven's Door
Patience

I just love those songs and it just makes me think about different things and they move me

MACATTAK

I totally agree with Chick 2k6. Those are my favorite GNR songs...also anything and everything from Staind.

Beauty Mark

Somebody that I Used to Know- Elliott Smith. It reminds of one of my formerly good friendships..

Someday- The Real Tuesday Weld. I don't know, it just resonates with me. There are two versions, the Someday (Soon) and the Someday (Never). The former is good for optimism. The latter is good for a crappy day where you want to feel bad.

flowerhead

placebo's without you i'm nothing, dummy by portishead, dog man star by the (london) suede, the bends by radiohead, the holy bible by the manic street preachers...these albums are drop-dead beautiful & very sad

Renee

Anything by The Smiths or Morrissey! Never get tired of it...some say the music is so sad but it always make me feel soo good!

j_absinthe

Alot of stuff moves me, whether it's moving me in a sentimental way, an angry way, a fun way, etc.

Recently, the song that's been getting to me has been Radiohead's cover of Bjork's "Unravel."

Araylan

Running- No Doubt (makes me think about old friends, current friends, etc.) (Okay, No Doubt is my favorite band ever, so it all affects me differently I suppose.)

Heavy Metal of any kind- What can I say, it just freakin' rocks. Makes me want to F some stuff up, but in a good way lol.
boxing.gif

Guns N Roses, Motley Crue (only the really good songs), Skid Row, Aerosmith, Billy Idol, Down...

You know, I'm not even going to try to finish answering this because there will be an endless list.

flowerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee
Anything by The Smiths or Morrissey! Never get tired of it...some say the music is so sad but it always make me feel soo good!

asleep by the smiths is about suicide, that always makes me cry...and this night has opened my eyes. i love louder than bombs

iamlelilien

MySpace.com - Jimmy Gnecco - New Jersey - Experimental / Acoustic / Rock - www.myspace.com/jimmygneccosolo
Listen to Dove Coloured Sky. It's actually by Neverending White Lights, but it's on his Myspace because he's the vocalist. Anyway, it's intense. There are so many moments in the song that give me chills that I'm pretty much in a constant state of chills for the entire length of the song.
Edit: That's really cool that this board automatically does that to Myspace music links.

Placebo has a lot of songs that could be mentioned in this post. Peeping Tom is pretty notable, because it's really, really sad, and you totally wouldn't expect it from that song because of the subject matter. I have the biggest fascination with songs that make me feel sorry for the narrator. When I listen to it, I have to just stop and think about it for a while after it's over.

The Sneaker Pimps song Lightning Field is freaking incredible. It's really dramatic and soundtrack-ish, so some of you might not be into that, but it's like, the definition of expressive. I bet it would have the same effect on me if I didn't understand a word of English.

I'll probably post in here some more. This is totally one of my favorite subjects, obviously.

SingFrAbsoltion

Lately most Death Cab for Cutie songs. Also Muse and Placebo which are my favorite bands. I'm surprised Placebo was already mentioned, usually no one knows who they are.

iamlelilien

I think Placebo is becoming more well known here. By here, I mean in the US... I'm assuming that's where you are when you say that not many people have heard of them, since that's what it's like here. But most people who have heard of them only know about Running Up That Hill (which I don't even think is the best cover they've done, I don't see why people are all ZOMG about it) and maybe Meds and Infra-Red.

But this gives me an excuse to talk about Meds (song), so that's good. I know most Placebo fans hate it, but I think it's amazing live. I don't think I would have liked it either if I had only heard the album version, which doesn't do it justice at all. It's really overproduced (the whole album is, actually, but I won't get into that right now.) Look up live Meds on Youtube. It's actually a really well-structured song. It's got this rising anticipation thing going on and then the last 30 seconds of the song sound like it's spontaneously combusting. I don't like it when people talk about how simple and boring it is, because there's so much to it that you just can't get out of the studio version.

spectrolite

Just to name a few:

The Host of Seraphim - Dead Can Dance
American Dreaming - Dead Can Dance
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Hurt -Nine Inch Nails
Hurt - Christina Aguilera
Something I Can Never Have - Trent Reznor
Homesick - The Cure
The Blade Runner Score - Vangelis
Lux Aeterna - Clint Mansell
Gloomy Sunday - Cover by Bjork
Pictures of You - The Cure
Claude DeBussey - Claire de Lune
How Soon Is Now - The Smiths
Cry To The Morning - Richard Ashcroft

flowerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingFrAbsoltion
Lately most Death Cab for Cutie songs. Also Muse and Placebo which are my favorite bands. I'm surprised Placebo was already mentioned, usually no one knows who they are.

they have a fairly big following here & in europe. they did find some popularity in the states in the late 90's with pure morning.
they're one of my favourite bands too, although i prefer their first second & third albums. you can see i liked having a brian bob!
tong.gif

SingFrAbsoltion

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlelilien
I think Placebo is becoming more well known here. By here, I mean in the US... I'm assuming that's where you are when you say that not many people have heard of them, since that's what it's like here. But most people who have heard of them only know about Running Up That Hill (which I don't even think is the best cover they've done, I don't see why people are all ZOMG about it) and maybe Meds and Infra-Red.

But this gives me an excuse to talk about Meds (song), so that's good. I know most Placebo fans hate it, but I think it's amazing live. I don't think I would have liked it either if I had only heard the album version, which doesn't do it justice at all. It's really overproduced (the whole album is, actually, but I won't get into that right now.) Look up live Meds on Youtube. It's actually a really well-structured song. It's got this rising anticipation thing going on and then the last 30 seconds of the song sound like it's spontaneously combusting. I don't like it when people talk about how simple and boring it is, because there's so much to it that you just can't get out of the studio version.

I saw them live and for the life of me can't remember how Meds sounded
shrugs.gif
and like flowerhead said, I guess they're a lot more popular in Europe. I went to visit my family in Russia for the winter break and when my friends there heard that I went to see Placebo they said "you saw Brian Molko live?! I'm so jealous!" haha and everyone in the US is like who???

edit: iamlelilien i just looked at you myspace and you have Muse and Placebo in your top 4 just like me wow haha

flowerhead

they have a kind of cult following in america though, from going on placebo forums..
@ iamlelilien - peeping tom is so depressing
ssad.gif
my sweet prince & burger queen too...i love burger queen, i can play it on guitar. it's about being gay & feeling very alienated from society, which i can relate too..

iamlelilien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingFrAbsoltion
I saw them live and for the life of me can't remember how Meds sounded
shrugs.gif
and like flowerhead said, I guess they're a lot more popular in Europe. I went to visit my family in Russia for the winter break and when my friends there heard that I went to see Placebo they said "you saw Brian Molko live?! I'm so jealous!" haha and everyone in the US is like who???

edit: iamlelilien i just looked at you myspace and you have Muse and Placebo in your top 4 just like me wow haha

YouTube - PLACEBO - MEDS - FESTIVAL DES VIEILLES CHARRUES
I guess it just has more energy and it's more dramatic. I don't like it when he sings the ending note that way, though.

You can add me if you want... I'll add people if they're a member of one of the message boards where I post. Oh, and I have Lightning Field (Sneaker Pimps song I was talking about up there) in my profile, so you have a convenient opportunity to listen to it if you haven't heard it! The music player is hidden at the bottom of the scroll box in my interests section.
winkiss.gif

coachkitten

I love...
"Let's Get Lost" by Elliot Smith
Anything from the Garden State Soundtrack
"Destiny" Zero 7

Those are a lot of old songs but ones that really move me.
smiles.gif

darkishstar

Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
This song makes me so sad, but a happy kinda sad. Does that make sense?
Suspension Without Suspense - No Doubt
Yeah, pretty self-explanatory. Gosh, I miss No Doubt so much.
Those are 2 from the top of my head. They make me crazy sad.

slowhoney

There are so many bands, singers and songs that I could list but to avoid pages worth of typing... Rufus Wainwright. <3 That man can move me to tears, happy and sad ones. He is one of the most talented musicians I have ever come to know, a stunning vocalist, an amazing performer, and an endlessly talented songwriter. He has such control over his voice, and he is so versatile in what he can do with it. And his French songs... *melts*

Since they were mentioned, Placebo is also a band that moves me, especially live in concert. And I agree about Meds! The song is not my favourite but live, it's amazing.

Latest posts