Myspace is getting ridiculous...

ashleyisawesome

I just deleted a friend of mine that I've been friends with since 6th grade. She was actually on my top 4 until this. It's funny how an election can bring out who people truly are. Apparently calling the president (or ANYONE for that matter) a "jigaboo" is perfectly acceptable, you know, because he's black. It is one thing to be disappointed, upset, and angry that your candidate didn't win. It's okay to voice your opinion on Obama's ideas, plans, etc. But to use racial slurs, to alienate all of your friends who are black, and to regress back in history (especially at a time where things should be moving forward) is not and will never be okay with me. I do not befriend racists. Period. I've never been so ashamed, disgusted, or offended in my life.

Beauty Mark

I kind of think the seriousness people put in MySpace/Facebook/etc. is ridiculous, as is the carelessness. I've seen too many people get all upset when someone doesn't friend them fast enough

ashleyisawesome

I'm just saying, people are posting bulletins with pure hate and racism toward Obama, and it's ridiculous. This election has brought out people's true colors.

Simply Elegant

I agree. Whether it's on the internet or said to your face, this person still believes it and that's very sad to me that they're being so ignorant. He's barely had any time to prove himself.

MAC_Pixie04

That's not a Myspace problem, that's a people problem. Unfortunately forums like Myspace and Facebook and whatnot just give them an outlet to show off their ignorance.

I've stopped talking to several people because of issues raised in this election, and I don't think it should be that way, but ya know people show themselves eventually, and quite frankly I'd rather know now than later.

I learned very quickly that one of my boyfriend's friends was a douchebag when he refferd to me as his "nigga" (in a friendly context, but still unacceptable) all of 3 hours after knowing me. Just because I'm mostly laid back doesn't mean I'm gonna let you spit in my face. Two years later, I'm STILL not cool with him. I can't tell my bf to stop talking to him because they've been friends longer than I've been with him, but he knows now to tread softly and be more cognizant of his friends attitudes toward me. They all grew up around each other and not around many minorities, but that doesn't excuse racial slurring and ignorant behavior.

MzzRach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
That's not a Myspace problem, that's a people problem. Unfortunately forums like Myspace and Facebook and whatnot just give them an outlet to show off their ignorance.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

friend_of_MAC

That's sad how there is still people like that and some things will never change with some people. Why is that?

cre8_yourself

good job.. its sad to say but u do find out peoples true colors through things such as myspace/facebook.. anyways congrats to u for not taking that mess!!

ashleyisawesome

Yeah, it blows my mind that people think that is acceptable. People should seriously start thinking before they "submit", but at least this way we know how people really are behind their fronts.

AdlersMommy22

LOL some people take myspace/facebook way too seriously.. but I even find MYSELF doing it.. this new guy im dating... I was veryyyyy toasted the other night and texted him and actually asked him why he wouldnt change his facebook status to "in a relationship." I literally stopped.. put down my wine.. looked at my girlfriends and started laughing so hard i had tears coming out of my eyes. I immediatly texted him back and go "haha jk! Im not 12"... but the sad thing was i REALLY was wondering why he hadnt... LMAO LMAO LMAO..

my girlfriends thought i was ahuge dumbass.

Anyway... lol

I think its good that you denounced things... but just maybe dont totally exile your relationship with her 100%.. like a PP said- myspace is just an outlet for ignorance... have you talked to her about it?? Like in a non-heated way? Because you might be able to get down on a level where you can explain to her that its not right- and you love her because she's your friend and dont want to see her thinking those kinds of things..

Its just sad to lose a friendship
ssad.gif

aziajs

Well, like you said her true colors came out. They always do. There was someone on here who's makeup I really liked and I went to her myspace page to look at more pictures and couldn't believe the racist things she and her friends were saying in her blog. It was heavy.

metal_romantic

I joined up with a photographer to volunteer my makeup services to her clients (we are both starting out in our fields). The first job is scheduled for this coming weekend.

Today I looked at her myspace page... her headline said "The Germans didn't kill anyone who didn't deserve it".

I took deep offense, as I should hope anyone would. I sent her a message about it asking why it was on her page, asking if that was what she really believed etc. and she said it's not her opinion, it's a quote from some old German lady and she was using it as a "shock factor". She said that the Jews have done nothing against her so she has nothing against them. Nothing against the Jews huh? Then why display such a disgustingly hateful remark for all to see? And what about the millions of other people who were exterminated by the Nazis (not all Germans of course, but a group of them)- men, women, and children, even babies?
She reckons it was a way of "weeding out" those who genuinely wanted to add her from those who just wanted her as a "statistic". (Don't ask me- it makes no sense to me either). I had already told her that I found it deeply offensive and that others would too.

I sent her this:

"To be completely honest, you would have "weeded" me out because I would not want anything to do with someone who is or presents themselves as Anti-Semitic.

I am not Jewish and I don't know if I have even met any Jews. I am human however, and they are fellow humans and to know that it was humans who exterminated and dehumanized not only Jews, but Soviet prisoners of war, Slavs, gay men, Jehovah's Witnesses, the disabled, the elderly, and political opponents- all other humans- as if they were worthless, makes me deeply ashamed to be human and it sickens me for anyone to treat this as some kind of joke.

I understand that this is not the way you intended it, but on the page it seems as if it is your opinion that the victims deserved it. I really appreciate the opportunity to work with you, but I need to ask if you intend to keep the remark on your page. I know it is YOUR photography business and I am volunteering my services, but if my makeup work will be on the page I am very uncomfortable for my work and my name (I would appreciate my name in the credits) to be associated with it. I hope you can understand and respect my position on this. I really hope we can work together and I want the chance to work on Saturday, but it would be against my beliefs to associate myself with antisemitism."

...but she has not had the decency to reply (it has been marked as "read").

I could go on and on about this.

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyisawesome
I'm just saying, people are posting bulletins with pure hate and racism toward Obama, and it's ridiculous. This election has brought out people's true colors.

man this is old but i agree with you. it has nothing to do with taking myspace too seriously. i believe ppl do take it too seriously but that's in cases where someones bitching because they aren't on someones top 8 or someone didn't add them ass a friend or someone gets booted from #1 to #5. THAT'S petty and taking it too far.
but racial slurs like that??? that's hardly taking it too seriously. i think deleting her was probably a good decision. she basically put herself on blast......

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_romantic
I joined up with a photographer to volunteer my makeup services to her clients (we are both starting out in our fields). The first job is scheduled for this coming weekend.

Today I looked at her myspace page... her headline said "The Germans didn't kill anyone who didn't deserve it".

I took deep offense, as I should hope anyone would. I sent her a message about it asking why it was on her page, asking if that was what she really believed etc. and she said it's not her opinion, it's a quote from some old German lady and she was using it as a "shock factor". She said that the Jews have done nothing against her so she has nothing against them. Nothing against the Jews huh? Then why display such a disgustingly hateful remark for all to see? And what about the millions of other people who were exterminated by the Nazis (not all Germans of course, but a group of them)- men, women, and children, even babies?
She reckons it was a way of "weeding out" those who genuinely wanted to add her from those who just wanted her as a "statistic". (Don't ask me- it makes no sense to me either). I had already told her that I found it deeply offensive and that others would too.

I sent her this:

"To be completely honest, you would have "weeded" me out because I would not want anything to do with someone who is or presents themselves as Anti-Semitic.

I am not Jewish and I don't know if I have even met any Jews. I am human however, and they are fellow humans and to know that it was humans who exterminated and dehumanized not only Jews, but Soviet prisoners of war, Slavs, gay men, Jehovah's Witnesses, the disabled, the elderly, and political opponents- all other humans- as if they were worthless, makes me deeply ashamed to be human and it sickens me for anyone to treat this as some kind of joke.

I understand that this is not the way you intended it, but on the page it seems as if it is your opinion that the victims deserved it. I really appreciate the opportunity to work with you, but I need to ask if you intend to keep the remark on your page. I know it is YOUR photography business and I am volunteering my services, but if my makeup work will be on the page I am very uncomfortable for my work and my name (I would appreciate my name in the credits) to be associated with it. I hope you can understand and respect my position on this. I really hope we can work together and I want the chance to work on Saturday, but it would be against my beliefs to associate myself with antisemitism."

...but she has not had the decency to reply (it has been marked as "read").

I could go on and on about this.

yeah she's full of shit. who the hell says they don't want to be a statistic on myspace?? myspace isn't a place to be taken that serious as to say you want to weed out certain ppl. if it's that serious why have a page at all?

i believe that is one shitty headline but hey, it is what it is. it's sometimes easy for some ppl to make light of serious subjects like that but she's creating an image for herself that leans a little more to the negative side.

i wouldn't expect her to write back because there's really nothing to discuss. do you really think she would have anything relevent to say?? probably nothing more than the bullshit she already tried to feed you

sad....

COBI

Quote:
who the hell says they don't want to be a statistic on myspace??

No kidding. The easy way to weed out people who are just worried about their friend numbers is too ONLY accept people you know. You wouldn't need to post such ignorant, rude and offensive statements to weed people out; however, it certainly helps people weed you out when that's how you represent yourself on your page.

metal_romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren1981
yeah she's full of shit. who the hell says they don't want to be a statistic on myspace?? myspace isn't a place to be taken that serious as to say you want to weed out certain ppl. if it's that serious why have a page at all?

i believe that is one shitty headline but hey, it is what it is. it's sometimes easy for some ppl to make light of serious subjects like that but she's creating an image for herself that leans a little more to the negative side.

i wouldn't expect her to write back because there's really nothing to discuss. do you really think she would have anything relevent to say?? probably nothing more than the bullshit she already tried to feed you

sad....

I just want to know what she has to say so I know whether I will still be doing the makeup for the shoot on Saturday.

I really want the experience and I've bought more makeup so I would be ready for it, but I don't want to work with someone who is going to put random hateful comments on their page.

Now, I appreciate the "shock factor" when used in the right way. I am a big fan of Alice Cooper, the original shock rocker. But... I'm thinking this girl is just a sicko. If she wants to make a business out of this, it's a pretty stupid idea to put stuff like that on her page. She will scare the business away. She'll only attract sickos.

metal_romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
No kidding. The easy way to weed out people who are just worried about their friend numbers is too ONLY accept people you know. You wouldn't need to post such ignorant, rude and offensive statements to weed people out; however, it certainly helps people weed you out when that's how you represent yourself on your page.

Her comment about that made no sense to me, because the people who genuinely wanted to befriend her or were interested in her photography services would read the page and then most likely decide that she was someone to stay away from. The people who just want to up their friend count would just click "add" and not bother to read what she has to say- and if they did, they might not care because they just want her as a "statistic" after all.

Mabelle

I'm sorry, but what is a jiggaboo? I've never heard this slur before.
Obviously i know it is some kind of racist insult towards African Americans, but does it have a specific historical meaning or is it a general disrespectful term?

Just wondering. I've never heard it. I thought i misread the word Jiggalo.

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle

Just wondering. I've never heard it. I thought i misread the word Jiggalo.

lol.gif

it's a word referring to black people but in a negative way. like when ppl do the whole "blackface" thing it's like feeding into and joking about the negative stereotypes of how a "typical" black person looks physically (i.e. black skin, wide nose, huge lips)
it's kind of along the lines of using the "N" word as far as it being derogatory and a racial slur but it's referring more to the stereotype of how black people "look"

Latest posts