Nail Polish Discussion - Any Brand

BuickMackane

I can understand the rationale as n/p is highly flammable. Just imagine an accident where thousands of n/p or perfumes break. It would be a disaster.

Maybe the packaging and/or wrapping needs to be changed.
I'm not convinced NP being potentially flammable is the real reason behind this but I fully agree re: packaging/wrapping. The way some sellers (and I don't mean some dodgy eBay person either) pack these things is unbelievable. They just pop them in a flimsy envelope and off they go halfway across the world.

Mac-Guy

I'm not convinced NP being potentially flammable is the real reason behind this but I fully agree re: packaging/wrapping. The way some sellers (and I don't mean some dodgy eBay person either) pack these things is unbelievable. They just pop them in a flimsy envelope and off they go halfway across the world.
Just watch this video, which explains how flammable n/p is:

jennyap

The weird thing is, from what I can tell, the rules have actually been relaxed. Nail polish has been on the prohibited list for years apparently. The change now is that they are allowing even consumers to send limited amounts (contract mail users could before, but in even more limited circumstances and never internationally) but because of that there is an additional risk so they've introduced new scanning procedures to enforce the new rule, which at the same time means they're enforcing the rules that were already there but they apparently never checked on before.

Mac-Guy

The weird thing is, from what I can tell, the rules have actually been relaxed. Nail polish has been on the prohibited list for years apparently. The change now is that they are allowing even consumers to send limited amounts (contract mail users could before, but in even more limited circumstances and never internationally) but because of that there is an additional risk so they've introduced new scanning procedures to enforce the new rule, which at the same time means they're enforcing the rules that were already there but they apparently never checked on before.
I don't even want to imagine the additional costs of scan (both hardware and manpower). It's crazy.

BuickMackane

I'm not disputing its flammability. All I'm saying is that I'm sceptical about Royal Mail's recent hissy fit being motivated by that (NP has been on RMs prohibited list for quite some time now and noone lifted a finger). I'm not convinced that banning them is the best solution either.

If RM insists on imposing the ban on items sent by private individuals, it sucks but fair enough. Bad for the customer, but it's not the end of the world.

UPS et al. will be falling over eachother to make deals with large businesses with high sales volumes (such as BeautyBay), so they won't suffer much either. I doubt that the shipping prices will rise dramatically for such businesses because they'll be able to make good deals. While they'll still be able to offer low rates or free shipping, I'm sure the increase in shipping costs will be reflected in the prices they charge for goods. Again, bad for the customer (and for the customer alone).

However, for small business (like AE) that don't have the clout to negotiate lower prices with UPS & friends this is not good news. I doubt anyone will be willing to pay such high shipping cost. This will leave them reliant on overseas distributors, eating into their profits considerably. Bad for the customer and bad for the small business. You'd think a state run institution like RM would strive to support SMEs at these times, not stifle them.

MACina

icon_eek.gif
....OMG, I had no idea that n/p was THAT flammable
shockt.gif

Thank you for posting this video, Mac-Guy!

MRV

So did I. On Sunday. Still nowt.

We'll just have to wait and see
shrugs.gif

I really don't get this hazardous materials stuff. By that rationale we shouldn't be allowed NP in checked in luggage either. This is just a cash grab IMO - they're coercing people into using the more expensive options out there.
Yes, there's no logic in this thing any more. They are stopping companies doing their business. How are they going to deliver to their foreign distributors?

And is this the way of the free trade? I hear EU and US are supposed to launch negotiations for a free trade agreement. And all they do is impose more restrictions and higher prices.

I have always put my n/p to my luggage (my other makeup takes the 1 liter room for liquids). Like last summer I had 9 bottles (only, I know) and a few kilos of suspicious dried weeds in tins in my luggage, and it came home, but only 24h late. Tea seems to be so dangerous a commodity to transport that I was even caught up at the x-ray inspection because of a tin full of tea I had just bought at the airport.
th_rolleye0014.gif

Mac-Guy

icon_eek.gif
....OMG, I had no idea that n/p was THAT flammable
shockt.gif

Thank you for posting this video, Mac-Guy!
The cosmetic industry is certainly working on developing different formula that are less flammable. I have a friend who works as a cosmetic scientist (she was formerly a physicist), so there is definitely a lot of research going on, but they are not quite there yet, though apparently water-based n/p already exist.

Mac-Guy

Yes, there's no logic in this thing any more. They are stopping companies doing their business. How are they going to deliver to their foreign distributors?

And is this the way of the free trade? I hear EU and US are supposed to launch negotiations for a free trade agreement. And all they do is impose more restrictions and higher prices.

I have always put my n/p to my luggage (my other makeup takes the 1 liter room for liquids). Like last summer I had 9 bottles (only, I know) and a few kilos of suspicious dried weeds in tins in my luggage, and it came home, but only 24h late. Tea seems to be so dangerous a commodity to transport that I was even caught up at the x-ray inspection because of a tin full of tea I had just bought at the airport.
th_rolleye0014.gif

Where did you travel from/to? This might have to do with the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

MRV

Oh, I almost forgot: inspite of this - real or not - hassle I just received my first Llarowe order! Which BTW was extremely well packed. Plus the two more DLs I ordered from a local webshop.
rasta.gif

And this evening I will be hunting BL at a tax free!
nanaparty.gif

MACina

This is very good to know!

I am still shocked because I have a lot of polishes in my apartment.Knowing how flammable they are, makes me
indeed worried
ssad.gif

So I really hope that there will be less or even better not flammable n/ps in the future!

I have never heard of water-based n/p before and have to check google.

Thank you again!

The cosmetic industry is certainly working on developing different formula that are less flammable. I have a friend who works as a cosmetic scientist (she was formerly a physicist), so there is definitely a lot of research going on, but they are not quite there yet, though apparently water-based n/p already exist.

BuickMackane

Oh, I almost forgot: inspite of this - real or not - hassle I just received my first Llarowe order! Which BTW was extremely well packed. Plus the two more DLs I ordered from a local webshop.
rasta.gif

And this evening I will be hunting BL at a tax free!
nanaparty.gif
Sweet! Out of curiosity, what did it say on the envelope? They used to write Nail Polish IIRC, but I may be wrong.

Mac-Guy

This is very good to know!

I am still shocked because I have a lot of polishes in my apartment.Knowing how flammable they are, makes me
indeed worried
ssad.gif

So I really hope that there will be less or even better not flammable n/ps in the future!

I have never heard of water-based n/p before and have to check google.

Thank you again!
I don't think you have anything to worry.

Mac-Guy

I love google....I think that I found water-based n/p:

http://www.niche-beauty.com/Little-BU

Of course there are only a few colors but there seems to be a beginning!

Anyway, it stands to reason for me now (after seeing this video) that n/p is "hazardous materials"!
There are quite a few brands and there is a good selection, but nowhere near as large as regular solvent-based n/p.

After all, it's a health choice to avoid formaldehyde & Co.

MACina

Hopefully this will change in the future!

The healthcaring aspect is definitely very important!!!

There are quite a few brands and there is a good selection, but nowhere near as large as regular solvent-based n/p.

MRV

Most polishes don't have F & Co. any more. You actually have to put a "non-water" coat over the water-based polishes. At least it says like this on some Orly's water-based nail art polishes. Otherwise, it washes off!

Mac-Guy

It says: "Cosmetics".

Most polishes don't have F & Co. any more. You actually have to put a "non-water" coat over the water-based polishes. At least it says like this on some Orly's water-based nail art polishes. Otherwise, it washes off!
I don't know about Orly, but on other brands, you don't have to put a solvent-based top coat to make it last. They last as long as regular n/p. What one doesn't achieve, however, is the high gloss finish, which might be what a lot of customer desire.

I was under the impression that most regular n/p still contain formaldehyde, toluene, and DBP (these are all legal substances in the U.S.) unless they declare otherwise and position themselves as formaldehyde-free.

I'm sure that companies are doing their best to move away from these substances.

BuickMackane

From AE's FB page:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: WITH POSITIVE NEWS
UK CUSTOMERS: please note that we are waiting for labels from Royal Mail stating “dangerous goods” which will be delivered soon this week. Each envelope will come with no more than 4 bottles. For bigger orders we will deliver more envelopes.
DELIVERIES TO ALL OTHER COUNTRIES: kindly offered by Llarowe to USA (and many thanks to Ninja Polish for offering too).
We will ship probably next week via our forwarder (used for bulk quantities only) all your packets ready and she will forward them to you. It will take a while but they will be safe.
If you have doubts or issues about your orders or ask for a refund please email: [email protected].
I ask you kindly to be patient for the answer.
Check our web page or follow us on Facebook and/or Twitter for updates.

Thank you very much for the attention and all your support and love.
Adina & Team Doing our best to keep you happy!

I wonder how Illamasqua's going to handle things...