Nail Polish Discussion - Any Brand

liba

I was so excited when my nails grew back, so i ordered stuff from Llarowe (which i listed a while ago) and did several manicures. I continue with Dior Creme Abricot daily, so hangnails are gone.

But now my nails are brittle, and chipping and breaking - not sure why. Normally my nails are too soft, bendy, and peel in layers. I've been taking a Glucosamine - Condroitin supplement for several months. And recently i started taking a Calcium - Magnesium supplement regularly. I don't know if either of these could be contributing. Any suggestions for treatment?
After years of biting my nails, they were really weak and soft for a good year or more. They've gotten very strong in the past 6 months, though. I've mostly made changes in my diet for other reasons, but I wonder if it's been helping my nails - my hair has been growing better too. I added a lot more protein into my diet than I'd been having for years, then I wound up getting properly diagnosed for thyroid issues and digestive imbalances. Had to cut out gluten and all sugars, even from fruit for a while (which made me eat more protein too), plus was put on Vitamin D supplements, due to a huge deficiency, from the thyroid problems. Between the thyroid meds, the new supplements, and a course of meds to get a healthy balance back to my digestive tract, my nails are now like iron - I'm actually kind of amazed.

Other than that, I do find that using an old dull nail file definitely weakens the edges of my nails, even sometimes leading to a little peeling here and there. Also files that aren't abrasive enough or are too coarse are trouble. The shape you're filing them in also plays into it - square is much weaker than rounded. I file lightly every other day or so, rather than waiting and doing a bigger cutting and filing job less often. None of this is scientific, but I think all of this must be a help.

jennyap

Hi ladies, just back from a 2 week vacation in France, I have sooo much to catch up on! I'm working my way through slowly (down to just 411 unread posts now
holysheep.gif
) but just wanted to jump in and say, NaughtyP I'm sooo pleased that Prince has been found!

Dominique33

Do you guys get regular manicures? Or do you push your cuticles in yourself? I have no idea how to do it!
Try Lush Lemon Flutter or much better oil. I use L'Occitane crème ultra riche ( 25 % shea butter ) for my hands and cuticles. Dont' cut them, just use specific care, it's much better that way I think.

Naughtyp

Hi ladies, just back from a 2 week vacation in France, I have sooo much to catch up on! I'm working my way through slowly (down to just 411 unread posts now :sheep: ) but just wanted to jump in and say, NaughtyP I'm sooo pleased that Prince has been found! 
thanks Hun!!!

Naughtyp

Mei Mei posted this on Facebook: [COLOR=333333]As promised, here's a list of colors for upcoming launch of [/COLOR][COLOR=3B5998]#enchantedpolish[/COLOR][COLOR=333333] Shipment is not here yet at least for another week [/COLOR][COLOR=333333] Swatch of the new exclusive shade will be revealed either end of this week or by next week. Thanks again [/COLOR] So we can relax for a week. I definitely want to try and get SC, Mr B, SNA, and maybe the new holo. 
k want mr b and shrimp!!

CartoonChic

I was just going to ask about the Dior cuticle cream and see if you guys still love it. My cuticles look a hot mess right now..

I still love it!

Quote: Originally Posted by josephine90

Do you guys get regular manicures? Or do you push your cuticles in yourself? I have no idea how to do it!
I do my manicures myself and prefer it that way. It's not difficult at all. Get yourself some cuticle remover and a wooden cuticle stick. Apply the remover then use the stick to push back your cuticles. If it hurts or feels painful, your pushing too hard. It should never hurt.

We can all recommend our favorite cuticle remover. Mine is Deborah Lippmann's. It's very effective and gentle at the same time, but a bit pricey. I don't mind the price because I think it works very well for my nails. I've tried others in the past and they either weren't very good at removing the old skin, or were too harsh.

CartoonChic

Im going to check that out! I heard the solar oil and cuticle eraser is really popular too, hav u heard of it?
I haven't heard of either of those. What are they?

I went to the mall today and got a sample of Lush Lemon Flutter to compare to the Dior Abricot. I knew Lemon Flutter would be cheaper than the Dior Abricot, but I was still surprised to see it costs $16. Glad I can try out a sample. I'm not really a fan of lemon scents except for in cleaning products. I also picked up samples of 2 hand creams. Helping Hands Hand Lotion and Handy Gurugu Hand Lotion. I've been using the mini lotions from Bath and Body Works, but would prefer something more natural. I did buy the Tiny Hands Hand Serum for the time being. It's a solid moisturizing bar. I need to get something to carry it in, but I like that's it's solid. This is my first time trying any Lush product or going into a Lush store. I don't think it will be my last.

CartoonChic

Takko restock tonight at 8:30pm EST at Takko Lacquer's official website. I'm getting Marie Antoinette and Jimi’s Jacket. I have the other colors already. I hope Llarowe does a Takko restock soon for the 2 colors I'm missing.

kimibos

so Mei mei signatures is not giving a date or hour for the Enchanted restock?? i wonder how is that going to work.
they should at least give a date.

as soon as someone finds out, lots of people are going to go to the site, then its going to crash and get crappy. and lots of people are going to bitch about it anyways. so why not just do the restocks as usual??

kimibos

Takko restock tonight at 8:30pm EST at Takko Lacquer's official website. I'm getting Marie Antoinette and Jimi’s Jacket. I have the other colors already. I hope Llarowe does a Takko restock soon for the 2 colors I'm missing.
i like nirvana but im just going to wait for the LLarowe restock. Good luck with the 2 that you want.

CartoonChic

i like nirvana but im just going to wait for the LLarowe restock. Good luck with the 2 that you want.
Thanks! I got them both. Now I need Muse and Bright Young Things. Those are the only 2 colors that I don't have that have been released in the new square bottles. I hope Llarowe restocks them and more new colors.

lilinah

Naughtyp, i am sooo glad to hear your Prince is back. That is such wonderful news!
pompom.gif

-------

CartoonChic, i was a vegetarian back in the late 1960s and early 1970s. And ever since then, even though i eat almost anything, i generally only ate meat a couple times a week. My local cafe has fantastic grass-fed, succulent beef burgers and in the past year i've gotten to the point where i eat them a few times a week. I noticed my nails were stronger after i increased the protein in my diet. That's why the chipping was such a surprise.

I asked here because i wondered if anyone had heard of glucosamine or cal-mag making nails brittle. I'll keep blundering along. Does anyone use the Butter London Horse Power Nail Fertilizer? I'm willing to pay a little extra for something that works.

I probably have some Nailteques #2 at home. I was concerned about the Tosylamide/ Formaldehyde Resin in it, but that seems to have a lower toxicity than regular Formaldehyde..

josephine90

Try Lush Lemon Flutter or much better oil. I use L'Occitane crème ultra riche ( 25 % shea butter ) for my hands and cuticles. Dont' cut them, just use specific care, it's much better that way I think.
I only cut when I see a skin hanging out and it hurts, definitely will look those up!

Honi

Cnd Solar oil and Cnd Cuticle eraser are amazing! I keep a small bottle in my purse and use while waiting for the train. Instant pick-me-up for nails :)

LastContrast

illamasqua is having a secret sale. tons of nail polish, all you need to do is create an account!
Yeah, they have great polish but last I heard they couldn't send it out? because it comes from the UK and royal mail won't ship any nail polish.

(Extra annoyingly they actually make the polish in Australia... but I can't get from their online store as it only ships for retail out of the UK).

josephine90

Yeah, they have great polish but last I heard they couldn't send it out? because it comes from the UK and royal mail won't ship any nail polish. (Extra annoyingly they actually make the polish in Australia... but I can't get from their online store as it only ships for retail out of the UK).
Really? I havent ordered anything from the website directly before, i was just browsing np and came across someone talking about the sale. That sucks! But girls in the uk, go get it!