Nail Polish Discussion - Any Brand

PearlyQueen

I don't know if it's just me feeling a bit down and meh, but I'm really not feeling the upcoming collections from Glam or the new PPU polishes. I feel like the Glams are just the same old, same old, and the 80's theme in PPU is really not my colour scheme (despite having grown up in the 80's). Oh well. I'm trying to save some money anyway, so I guess it doesn't hurt if I don't like many new releases.

My Stackry package appears to be taking a detour to Memphis (?). The delivery estimate is Thursday, so still has a lot of time to get here, but I was hoping that it would arrive on Tuesday as last time FedEx was about 2 days quicker than they said they would be.

I'm not loving the new Glams either, I might go for the red (no, not predictable at all) and a couple of previous release colours I skipped, depending on finances, but they would normally be mostly very "me" and I'm not feeling it at all. As you say, it might just be the other stuff getting to me too. PPU is not a theme I'd choose either, and pleased I don't want them!

PearlyQueen

Here are a few recent manis, first is Emily de Molly LE 32 with Different Dimension Mic Drop. Showing more red than it was, it was more orange/coral irl.

View attachment 66102 View attachment 66103

Next is Enchanted Polish Marge's Blue Beehive with Polished for Days Abeona

View attachment 66104 View attachment 66105

This is Glam Polish Ke Aloha. The idea was that I would pair this up with an old Urban Decay untried, but the colours didn't look good in the end and also the top coat I tried using was rubbish and the whole mani was crumpled in the morning, so I just painted over the whole thing with the Glam. I bought a Barry M quick dry top coat, works much better, at least to tide me over until my Tonic Topper arrives. What is the point in non-quick drying top coats anyway????

View attachment 66106 View attachment 66107

My current mani is Glam Polish I Know You Are But What Am I? with Glam Polish Why Couldn't It Be "Follow the Butterflies"?

View attachment 66108 View attachment 66109

Ooh, it looks like my Stackry package will come tomorrow after all as it's now at Stanstead. Hope I don't miss the delivery.
I like these, especially Ke Aloha (and Marge of course!).

PearlyQueen

Seems like everyone is struggling. Vapid is closing this year. Anyone surprised?

I don't own any Vapids, so not affected really but I did think they were very popular, maybe the bottom is falling out of indies.
There seem to be a lot of ongoing casualties, not just brands but also multi-stockists.
The ones I've been noticing MIA are Darling Diva and Chaos & Crocodiles, nothing to say they're closed down, but nothing being released. Takko seem to have gone very quiet too.
I also wonder if Mei Mei is going to get her site back up and running with new brands and releases, it seems like it's decaying quietly in a corner of Singapore! I miss all the big multi brand stockists, it was nice to get a few from each brand without massive shipping costs - and most of them did free international shipping if you bought enough. And once upon a time, I did!

PearlyQueen

I think Tonic is probably #1 right now. Their polishes seem to have the highest resale value on average and they are flooded with people at Polish Con. I would have put Vapid and Illyrian up there as well, but that would have been wrong. Cbl seemed rather popular too, but that's no longer an issue.
I definitely agree Quixotic seems to be gaining a fan base, as well as Bees Knees and Ethereal. Other brands that are popping up more are Prism, Lacquester and Danglefoot, but as you mentioned, international brands are a special case since they are harder to obtain.
Emily de Molly, PFD and Girly Bits are all part of my go-to's, but it's so hard to gauge their popularity. It seems people are fickle and like the latest and newest, so solid brands like those fall by the wayside.

I wonder if ILNP and AEngland are still as popular as they were. AE don't really interest me nowadays, but I always like a few ILNPs and they make great "add it to your order" polishes at stockists, especially to get to a free shipping threshold.

PearlyQueen

Omg, the Polish Con drama! I knew it was bad when I saw Tonic had a lot of polish left over. They always sell out.

Oo, drama, tell me more! I love a bit of gossip! I'm not in any PC groups or anything as I can't afford to get involved, and I certainly can't afford to go!

PearlyQueen

I'm a bit annoyed with Tonic right now. Not really their fault, their system wasn't sending out tracking numbers, so I didn't know my order was on its way. Emptied out my Stackry box on Friday just to receive a new package notice on Monday from Tonic. My PPU order is due to arrive today. I could've waited a few days. Oh well.

I did however receive a very nice haul, so that's something to be happy about. I have to say, I love the Illyrians, especially the spring collection, Lodi Dodi, Secret Recipe and Sleight.

View attachment 66118

That is very irritating, but still, you've got some beauties there! I especially like the look of those Tonics and Illyrians. And the PfDs. Enjoy!

PearlyQueen

Is anyone buying from Illyrian today? I think I will order a few things, not sure if I want the new prototypes, they're beginning to look a bit samey now (plus I don't fancy having to stay awake until midnight and fight for limited polishes). But I will probably order Open the Gate and Ectoplasm, plus one or two of the birthday trio and maybe 3 of the Realms 2 polishes.
I'm planning to try for a few of the prototypes, as you know I want OTG and a couple of Realms 2s, so might as well make the ninja fingers attempt. It won't be the end of the world if I don't get them, but shipping is so high I'd like to get more than 3 polishes if at all possible, and I do like most of the new ones. I would leave it if it wasn't for OTG, but I'm suffering FOMO with that one! I shouldn't be doing this at all, but I do need a bit of cheering up at the moment. If I get them all I'll probably skip Glam.

Anitacska

I'm not loving the new Glams either, I might go for the red (no, not predictable at all) and a couple of previous release colours I skipped, depending on finances, but they would normally be mostly very "me" and I'm not feeling it at all. As you say, it might just be the other stuff getting to me too. PPU is not a theme I'd choose either, and pleased I don't want them!

I like the purple Avengers one, again, very predictable for me. But I won't be buying again. It's just not worth it for one with all that shipping. Also they look so samey now.

I'm shocked, but I think I will skip PPU entirely. There are a few polishes I quite like, but not enough to bother.

Anitacska

I don't own any Vapids, so not affected really but I did think they were very popular, maybe the bottom is falling out of indies.
There seem to be a lot of ongoing casualties, not just brands but also multi-stockists.
The ones I've been noticing MIA are Darling Diva and Chaos & Crocodiles, nothing to say they're closed down, but nothing being released. Takko seem to have gone very quiet too.
I also wonder if Mei Mei is going to get her site back up and running with new brands and releases, it seems like it's decaying quietly in a corner of Singapore! I miss all the big multi brand stockists, it was nice to get a few from each brand without massive shipping costs - and most of them did free international shipping if you bought enough. And once upon a time, I did!

Didn't Mei Mei have a baby? Her shipping has gone up quite significantly, so I hadn't ordered from her in ages anyway. I'm quite happy if there aren't many stockists around, because all the bloody stockist exclusives were doing my head in. I still order from Girly Bits and Hypnotic occasionally, Hypnotic especially has good shipping rates.

Anitacska

I wonder if ILNP and AEngland are still as popular as they were. AE don't really interest me nowadays, but I always like a few ILNPs and they make great "add it to your order" polishes at stockists, especially to get to a free shipping threshold.

I don't buy AE anymore either, her polishes are just a bit boring for me. I only like one of the new ILNPs, I used to buy loads, but they seem really boring now, especially with all the flakies, magnetics, thermals and whatnots around.

Anitacska

Oo, drama, tell me more! I love a bit of gossip! I'm not in any PC groups or anything as I can't afford to get involved, and I certainly can't afford to go!

Miranda (of Ever After, organiser of PC) appears to have withheld a lot of money belonging to makers, also loads of people never got what they ordered or refunds, and it has been going on for years, but finally one of the makers spoke up and it all came out. Acetone Alley has been going crazy and she's doing nothing other than promising that she would sort things out and posting half arsed apologies. She also told makers that 400 tickets were sold for the latest PC and everyone prepared accordingly, but turns out it was more like 150 and even Tonic had a lot of leftovers. Lindsey is now doing another launch in early May to try and shift her stock.

boschicka

Miranda (of Ever After, organiser of PC) appears to have withheld a lot of money belonging to makers, also loads of people never got what they ordered or refunds, and it has been going on for years, but finally one of the makers spoke up and it all came out. Acetone Alley has been going crazy and she's doing nothing other than promising that she would sort things out and posting half arsed apologies. She also told makers that 400 tickets were sold for the latest PC and everyone prepared accordingly, but turns out it was more like 150 and even Tonic had a lot of leftovers. Lindsey is now doing another launch in early May to try and shift her stock.

It seems she won't step away from Polish Con though, no? I've only seen her say she needs to ask for help. If she doesn't get out of it completely, I don't see it continuing.
Someone mentioned Tonic wouldn't do the fall event. Did you see where they said that?

Anitacska

It seems she won't step away from Polish Con though, no? I've only seen her say she needs to ask for help. If she doesn't get out of it completely, I don't see it continuing.
Someone mentioned Tonic wouldn't do the fall event. Did you see where they said that?

Yes, in the Tonic group. But Lindsey said it's because of family commitments.

No, I don't think it can continue like this, I think a lot of makers and customers would boycott it.

Anitacska

I'm planning to try for a few of the prototypes, as you know I want OTG and a couple of Realms 2s, so might as well make the ninja fingers attempt. It won't be the end of the world if I don't get them, but shipping is so high I'd like to get more than 3 polishes if at all possible, and I do like most of the new ones. I would leave it if it wasn't for OTG, but I'm suffering FOMO with that one! I shouldn't be doing this at all, but I do need a bit of cheering up at the moment. If I get them all I'll probably skip Glam.

Good luck!

boschicka

Yes, in the Tonic group. But Lindsey said it's because of family commitments.

No, I don't think it can continue like this, I think a lot of makers and customers would boycott it.

I think a lot of brands will have "family commitments." It's frustrating to me b/c I was planning to go to the fall event as my first. :(

Anitacska

So did you order from Illyrian? I did, but only this morning as I was very tired last night and didn't care that much about the protos. I bought Ectoplasm, Open the Gate, Dragon's Breath, Dynamite With a Laserbeam, Helheim, Muspelheim and Vanaheim. Hopefully she won't come up with any new collections for a bit, I really need to curb my spending. I'm glad I don't want anything from PPU, Glam or Femme Fatale (or maybe one?) and I can postpone the Tonic order until mid to late May. I do like the PfD from the FTLOP box, luckily I've found someone to split with, I don't really like the CbL and the Pahlish is nice, but looks similar to others I own.

elkaknits

last year I ordered, through fairy service, the Bees Knees *secret* colors which you had to answer questions to get--they were not swatched before so a mystery. Pouncer Peach and another color. I never got the 2nd order and this was after waiting a really really long time for Bees Knees to make extra for unexpected demand or what not. It just wasn't worth asking for it to be made for me months later.

Despite my personal experience I am terribly sad about this. Polish Con has been held in midwest so there was hopes of my attending one year. Plus I always hate it when a brand, maker, or fan event fails. I realize Ever After has had much drama over the years. Always about poor communication, slow shipping followed by mistaken orders etc., and I always have defended Miranda because I just feel its one individual, or a small team, trying to meet demand which might have been unexpected while real life gets in way {illness or what not}.

I wish her and the PC event manages to make it through all of this. NOTE I am not defending the fiasco, Miranda etc. I am expressing sadness over situation.

Latest posts