NC 45 is the craziest shade

K_ashanti

How come NC 45 seems to be the "one fits all shade?" i just read next month's essence and Serena Williams said she use the stuido stick in NC 45 out of all the MAC shade this is the one I hear WOC say the use, the one i heard the least has to be NW43 or 47, i wonder why sooo many women who seem varies complexion use this color

blazeno.8

I hate to say this, but I think that many people use it as the default shade for dark skin. In a way, it could be true that many women with dark skin should use this shade. Many times on darker skin you might have a gradient of colors on the face, or if you tan easily it might move you to a darker shade or a different warmth.

elongreach

For years I used NC45. I always felt like it was too dark and especially after a few hours I would be terribly orange. But every MA would say no no you are NC45. However the last time I went to try Studio Sculpt, my fav new MA say you are not NC45. I'm NC45 and you are not that. She used NC42 in Studio Sculpt which everyone is saying runs light and it was perfect.

So I do think some people just think NC45 is like that one size fits all color for in between WOC.

MAHALO

I have been a NW43 for years because I lived in the Tropics and kept a deep tan. Since moving, I noticed that my NW43 was a little off for me. So, I recently switched to NC45. As Summer approaches and I vacation in the Tropics, I can see I'll eventually need to move back to NW43. All the foundation formulations that I use are light coverage so I can get away with a foundation that is a little off.

MACaholic76

I'm going to chime in on this one because I totally agree. I see so many people including co-workers, use NC45 on the wrong people. I do see so many women on here and on makeupalley say that they are an NC45 when they are clearly more like an NC50/NW43 and I see others say they are NC40/NC42 when they are sooo NOT that light and closer to NC45.
On that same note, I have noticed that in some foundations NC45 is rather off (too orangy - studio stick, select spf) whereas in others it works just fine and has the right amount of yellow.
I also think that NC45 is such a variable shade...for example, I consider myself a light skinned NC45 and in the summer go up to NC50. Thats just what works for me and my skin. I'm very very golden. NC42 makes me look ashy and the C's make me look jaundiced! NWs make me look orange so I feel most comfortable with NC45.

reesesilverstar

I think that MAC is missing some shades b/t nc45 and 50 and also MUA's use it as the default color for alot of darker skinned women...

MACaholic76

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesilverstar
I think that MAC is missing some shades b/t nc45 and 50 and also MUA's use it as the default color for alot of darker skinned women...

Yup...on MUA they think NC40 is pretty much like NC45.

chocolategoddes

Serena Williams cannot be NC45. NW45... maybe.

Like everyone said, I'm thinking a lot of MAC MAs use NC45 as the "default" shade for a medium-brown skinned woman, while disregarding her undertones or whatever.

K_ashanti

yes this is what i was thinking too!!!! NC 45 seems to be the catch all color!!!! i remember years ago when i first tried mac the ma give me NC 45 i didn't know alot about foundation the but it was summer and i'm super red in the summer plus it was too light!!! so i pass, some years later i stopped at the Mac counter again and there was this beautiful woman ther working and she looked about the same complexion and undertones as me i explain the problem and my skin type and she just off the bat told me i was NW 45 and she was right nothing ever might my red /orange skin so good lol she gave me a sample and to me to try it out and come back when it ran if i liked out and that what i did, she was the best help ever and i keep going bak toher cuz she is so darn helpful

K_ashanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes

Like everyone said, I'm thinking a lot of MAC MAs use NC45 as the "default" shade for a medium-brown skinned woman, while disregarding her undertones or whatever.

that what i was thinking!!!!! i was saying more like NC 50 !!!

Nouveaubeauty

I've worn NW43 for a little over 10 years and never knew what the difference was between NC and NW.
shockt.gif
I went to MAC today to pick up the Studio Sculpt and the MUA explained to me that NC is for warm/golden tones and NW is for reddish undertones. At first glance, she thought I would be warm/golden but as soon as she put the NC45 on, she was like
nope.gif
. Inside I was thinking, um, I told you that I've been wearing NW for years and it's a perfect match.
th_dunno.gif
Anyway, it seems that there aren't too many WOC/AA women in the NW family. I wonder why that is, any ideas?
th_confused_new.gif

aziajs

I totally agree with all of you. The shade may be forgiving but it's not that forgiving. I actually hate NC45 to begin with. I wish there was another color.

Curly1908

Serena is clearly wearing the wrong shade of foundation (on her face and on her body) as well as horrible weaves. Her makeup looks "off" in photos.

serena-williams-picture-2.jpg

serena-williams0.jpg

Compare that with no makeup Serena:

serena-williams.jpg

To be honest, I've noticed this on Specktra as well as IRL. There are women that I (NW50) am lighter than who are wearing NC45 and NC50. I got matched like 5 years ago so I went again in January, and the MA said that NW50 was right. (Granted, both MAs were White. Don't act like it doesn't matter!) I was scared that I was running around with too dark foundation!

Maybe it's because I'm so red-skinned that I appear "brighter" than cool-toned women? I dunno...

dominichulinda

I know they match me to NC 45 as well. During the fall somtime I got matched to NC 43 in the studio tech. The satinfinish in NC 42 I matched myself which is great and I got matched to NC 42 for the sculpt.

In the summer I am a few shades darker:
DOMINI4.jpg

so I believe I am a NC 45.

*I know I have a big forehead lol

urbanD0LL

really ?! serena cannot be nc45 . i noticed that last summer i was using nw45 and this winter i used nw43 , nc45 would be way too off for me . and how can they have a "default" color loll , that doesn't make sense .

sweatpea559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouveaubeauty
I've worn NW43 for a little over 10 years and never knew what the difference was between NC and NW.
shockt.gif
I went to MAC today to pick up the Studio Sculpt and the MUA explained to me that NC is for warm/golden tones and NW is for reddish undertones. At first glance, she thought I would be warm/golden but as soon as she put the NC45 on, she was like
nope.gif
. Inside I was thinking, um, I told you that I've been wearing NW for years and it's a perfect match.
th_dunno.gif
Anyway, it seems that there aren't too many WOC/AA women in the NW family. I wonder why that is, any ideas?
th_confused_new.gif

I read many places that all WOC have yellow/golden undertones. Obviously this isn't true because then there would be no need for NW shades in darker colors, but I think that it is just extremely uncommon. With that said, most (or at least a lot) of white women also have yellow undertones. Pink/red undertones are just uncommon in all people I guess, but moreso in people of color.

CellyCell

I laughed at the original post because it's so true and it runs through my mind often when I see fellow NC45 and we're not alike in skintone, makes me wonder if one of us has a wrong shade color. I'll usually see folks with similar tone but there are the few who are obviously much too light to be an NC45 and the very few who are darker.

I think a lot of it has to do with us getting darker over summer and lighter over winter seasons, our actual skin tone color varies throughout the year so we can't rely on one specific match? Well, I speak for myself...

Lapis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes

maybe even nw 47 in during the tennis season when she's in the sun alot
I'm nw 45, and I definately get as dark as 47 when I'm going to the pool multiple times a week in the summer.