NC 45 is the craziest shade

Prettypackages

I had the same issue as you this summer. Although I don't have any mixed heritage.
I thought I was pretty straight forward nc44/nc45/C7, Nars Cadiz, and bobbi brown 6, with golden undertones. This summer I got a tan, but I didn't get darker, I got redder. I was still golden but somehow the red undertones came out. I had the hardest time finding my shade. Urban Decay's new naked foundation was horrible. All the undertones seemed pink. 6 and Cadiz was too light, but the next darker sades in Nars's range were too dark. So I had to switch to Nars TM Seychelles, which provided enough of the red undertones. Underye concealers were difficult for me to find too. I always used BB 6 creamy concealer, and it was a tad too light, but b/c it was summer it didn't last, and I wanted something long lasting. MAC's pro long wear nc 45 was too orange. The NC43 was too light. They came out with nc44 with their mickey contractor collex and that's how I found that to be my perfect shade. I always bring that with me while searching. BB 6 comes the closest. LM had nothing for me. I also tried YSL b70. I remember it being decent, but can't remember why I stopped using it. By August, I went back to Bobbi Brown (I left b/c they tend to break me out) and found that warm almond 6.5 was a good match. I had a great match with MUFE 175, but previously wore 173. The MA in Sephora just knew I was going to be 173, she even put her arm next to mine and that's when I saw my red undertones pop out. She was probably my shade but more golden. For some reason she knew she was darker than me.
So I wore that for the rest of the Summer.
Currently I'm wearing bobbi brown longwear foundation in 6 with a drop of 6.5 added. I still don't feel like I'm back to my regular 6 skin color.

Anyway, good luck. I know I didn't really add anything, but wanted you to know you are not alone.

Luvmami44

7729140a_image.jpeg
I have been matched with the NC45 as well what would you all consider me as I don't want to walk around with the wrong shade..also if you have shades such as MUFE, BB, etc because I am also looking to try other foundations as well I have some discoloration around my mouth and have no flash on in the pic thank you!

MrsFen

Edited: I went to MAC last weekend and the MUA thinks I am an NW43 *leaves thread*
shrugs.gif
I may be back though!
cooldude.gif

Original Post:

So glad I found this thread, even if it is years later! Back in the day, I was matched as an NW43 but a few years later I was told I was an NC45. I have been using NC45 for a few years, but now that I have read this thread I am wondering if I am using the wrong color. Any advice???

leahrenae

I realy think you should wear what you're most comfortable with, what looks best, and what makes you happy... whether it's NC or NW
your natural oils could alter the color of the shade.. undertones are different.. so just because an MUA tells you one thing, doesn't mean it'll necessarily work for you. try it for a day, you can get a sample. see how your skin reacts.

I've been matched with nc45, nw40, nw43, c6 and it also depends on the formula. I'm most comfortable at an NC44 and using C6 in F&B. I don't let the muas deter me from that, I know my skin.

HI I'M NEW.

I AM NW43
I USE

1. FOUNDATION: JOE BLASCO SP. DK OLIVE #1/HONEY
  2. CONCEALER MAC: NW40 SELECT MOIRSURIZING
  3. BLUSH: L'Oreal PARIS TRUE MARCH BLUSH N5-6 APRICOT KISS
  4. BROW PENCIL CLARINS 03
  5. EYE LINER PENCIL:
  6. CHANEL LES QUATRE OMBRES EYE SHADOW: WINTER NIGHTS
  7. SLEEK FACE CONTOUR KIT MEDIUM
  8. LIP STICK YSL #3
  9. MASCARA: they' real!: JET BLACK
  10. NAIL COLOR: CIATE PAINT POTS: CABARET 046
  11. WIG COLOR #1

NC45 MATCHES:

1. JOE BLASCO SP DARK OLIVE #1/HONEY
  2. MAKEUP FOREVER #173
  3. MAC NW43

Greenbelt

I just joined this site today. I googled M.A.C. mineralize concealer NC45 to get some idea of how to correctly apply this. At first the MAC store sales person / Makeup Artist insisted that I did not need any concealer. I told her that I used to sell May Kay and I started using concealer for the very first time around the dark areas near my mouth. What a difference even though it may have been the wrong shade! Now I am sold on the idea of wearing concealer even when I do not wear any foundation. Really helps with the deep crease I have from the edge of my nose to the corners of my mouth. Brightens up my whole face! So she suggested a 'highlighter'. I sat in the chair while she put concealer, foundation and highlighter on my face. I looked terrible. Finally I bought the NC45 concealer. I will try to get some pic to upload here and get some suggestions about how this looks on me.

Also I have been reading through this thread and wondering....what is MUFE?

sagehen

I just joined this site today.  I googled M.A.C. mineralize concealer NC45 to get some idea of how to correctly apply this.  At first the MAC store sales person  / Makeup Artist insisted that I did not need any concealer. I told her that I used to sell May Kay and I started using concealer for the very first time around the dark areas near my mouth.  What a difference even though it may have been the wrong shade!  Now I am sold on the idea of wearing concealer even when I do not wear any foundation.  Really helps with the deep crease I have from the edge of my nose to the corners of my mouth.  Brightens up my whole face!  So she suggested a 'highlighter'. I sat in the chair while she put concealer, foundation and highlighter on my face.  I looked terrible.  Finally I bought the NC45 concealer.  I will try to get some pic to upload here and get some suggestions about how this looks on me. Also I have been reading through this thread and wondering....what is MUFE?
MUFE = Makeup Forever Try to find Fatima's (black artist with a short fro) video on concealing dark areas of the face on the MAC website. I believe it is still up - what a help it was for me. She talked about using correctors on those areas of darkness and then using the correct shade of foundation/concealer on top. The method is described in another thread of the Beauty of Color forum as well - if I find it I will link it here.

sagehen

According to findation.com, Cadiz. I can't vouch for the match, but findation rarely leads me wrong. Cadiz would be a good place to start.

Greenbelt

thanks for the helpful info Sagehen.

Today I was at Phoenix Mall (Chennai, India) again and my cousin bought her first MAC product! BB Primer in Medium.

I was looking at the Studio Fix compacts and the Studio Tech compacts but will buy later. The MA suggested NC43 which is a good match for me. He told me that the NC45 in the concealer is darker because it will cover dark spots better.

He also told me that dark skinned ladies wearing lighter shades of foundation actually makes us look darker because the lighter foundations turn grey on our skin.

We also learned that there are no foundation products that will stand up to the extreme sweating that happens in Chennai in the hot season! LOL! (That would take a miracle!)

Always fun and educational to visit the MAC store!!!

nikkideevah

I was "matched" to NC45 as well

my shades I have in other brands

MUFE - 173
YSL - B70
UD - 9
Smashbox - 8

My shade code for Sephora is 2Y11

which are http://www.sephora.com/IQ/color/results.jsp?coloriq=true&withSecondary=true&shade_code=2Y11 products

IF NC 45 IS NOT RIGHT FOR YOU TRY NW43. I THINK THE REASON MAY NOT BE RIGHT FOR YOU IS BEAUSE YOU MAY BE NEUTRAL UNDER BASE. THEY ONLY HAVE WARM AND COOL. GET A COLOR MATCH FROM ESTEE LAUDER. ASK FOR A FREE SAMPLE.

Latest posts