Need a recommendation for chapstick!

mariecinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake
Rosebud Salve, comes in regular, mint, strawberry.... it's the most wonderful lip balm especially under lipstick/gloss! Oh, and the tin lasts FOREVER! Sephora sells it, I think it's like $6.00!

Bath and Body Works also sells them. I have 3 of them and they are very good at hydrating lips. Love them!

lil_kismet

As far as topical treatments go, I am still on the hunt for that perfect lipbalm... I thought I liked Kiehl's, but its a bit on the greasy side. All Body Shop lipbalms I've tried give me those annoying tiny yet painful pimples at the corners of my lips (both lip butters and born lippy). Rosebud Salve didn't do much to cure severely chapped lips, and neither did Burt's Bees. I've tried so many others too -- Blistex, Aveeno, Neutrogena, Softlips, Labello, and all of them have been mediocre to poor.

What I find to be extremely helpful is to stay well-hydrated internally. Drink lots of water. I've also noticed that ever since I've started taking omega 3's in a vitamin E base, my lips *never* go chapped, which is AMAZING considering winter season is in full effect! Keeping well-hydrated has been the one and only way in which I have seen CONSISTENT results.

fingie

matsubie

i like softlips and carmex (but you didn't like this, right?)
i'm a big lipbalm geek and i've tried every lipbalm, chapstick, etc. out in the market....

softlips have a bit of cooling effect (b/c of the menthol content) but it's nothing overwhelming and carmex is my favorite (even though the smell isn't great) but i always come back to this b/c it helps me through my worst dry, cracked lip times.

Lipglass*Lover*

*~*I use Burt's Bees w/ pomegranate oil (the one with the burgundy lid)...I love it!!! I love the way it smells and it keeps my lips moisturized. I use C.O Bigelow Rose Salve on top & my lips stay soft all day...I also do that same routine at night before I go to bed to keep my lips hydrated (esp. with it being winter now)!!! HTH!!
winks.gif
*~*

newagetomatoz

My all-time favorite that I go through like water is Lip Smackers Pink Lemonade lip balm! It is like instant summer and my lips are so incrediby soft and moisturized, even in Buffalo winter!

Love Always Ivy

i love my body shop chapstick in cocoa butter.
i find the lip butters make you look ashy, but they are great to wear overnight!

natalie75

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxydoll
because people don't actually read what people post.

hahahahahah too funny
th_LMAO.gif
th_LMAO.gif
th_LMAO.gif

QTAllStarGurl

Um i would recommend C.O Bigelow or Too Faced Beauty Balm since you said that you've often had to reapply and they both stay on really well and C.O Bigelow has a lot of different lip balms but I think one of the best ones is the Rose Salve..its good stuff

inyourbox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy
i love my body shop chapstick in cocoa butter.
i find the lip butters make you look ashy, but they are great to wear overnight!

I think this will be the one I check out! I love love cocoa butter. Man it's such a pain in the ass to find the best chapstick.

inyourbox247

Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions!! I'm on the prowl now hehe and I'll update my opinions of the ones I do try.
smiles.gif

*KT*

SkinCeuticals has a lip treatment that I love.

Welcome to SkinCeuticals

There's a mini pump under the lid and it comes out fairly thin. If I had to try to give an example of the consistancy, I'd say similar to Clinique's Dramatically Different moisturizing gel. It absorbs in nicely so applying lipstick or gloss over it isn't an issue.

If you ever get a cold and have a raw nose, it's wonderful for that. I was applying a pump of it all around my nose before I went to bed all last week when I was sick. It completely prevented my nose from getting all chapped and dry looking while blowing it a hundred times a day.
th_DANCE.gif

The only issue is that SkinCeuticals is primarily sold at Dermatologist offices or plastic surgery/cosmetic treatment places so it's a little difficult to just go in somewhere and try it out. It does look like quite a few places sell it over the net if you don't have a problem dropping ~$30 for this product without seeing it in person.

I'm very fortunate to work for a practice that carries SkinCeuticals and SkinMedica (TNS) so I get to buy at a discount. Sadly, I work about 30 minutes from the skincare department's office, so I don't get to see all the new products very often. I can say that they have reps coming in all the time trying to get our skincare department to carry their products and recently, a pair of reps actually left our office with the products WE sell. So it's good stuff!

Fafinette

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingie
I always liked "Natural Ice" cherry flavored lip balm when I wanted just lip balm...but when I want some color I like the "Liplicious" lippies from Bath & Body Works--they make my lips feel smooth but I doubt that the'd work well for severly chapped lips since I don't think they were made to "heal" or anthing--KWIM?

BTW, this is what the Natural Ice stuff looks like: Amazon.com: Natural Ice Medicated Lipbalm, Mentholatum, Cherry Flavor, SPF 15 - .16 oz: Health & Personal Care

I agree on Natural Ice! I've been a loyal user for almost 10 years now, it's the only lip balm for me
smiles.gif
I first used it to treat a lip sunburn, & loved it so much I never went back. I have SUPER dry & sensitive lips (had allergic reactions to even the gentlest lip stuff out there
ssad.gif
), but it doesn't irritate them at all. It gives a nice cooling feeling (without a strong menthol taste), & I don't get any waxiness or greasiness at all.

It's not expensive, so I'd pick up 4 or 5 at a time at Rite-Aid or Albertsons. But about a year ago everyone mysteriously stopped selling them! I tried to use substitutes (soft lips, chapstick, blistex, carmex)...but NONE of them satisfied. I have order them from amazon.com now
sigh.gif

AllisonWeaver

Chapstick is a particular brand. I grew up using Chapstick lip balms, and was never overly thrilled by them. I prefer Burt's Bees Bees Wax Lip Balm, and a close second is Vaseline petroleum jelly. I've found MAC Lip Conditioner doesn't leave my lips craving lip balm like other products do, but it also doesn't moisturize quite as well as Burt's Bees or MAC.

lyttleravyn

I absolutely LOVE Bath & Body Works' C.O. Bigelow "Mentha Lip Balm Stick" it does have mint in it, but I put it on in the morning and my lips are great all day long. I have most of my friends (including my bf and some of his friends) using it also! They also have a "Soothing Lip Buffer" which is an exfoliator, that works great also. I use that on days that my lips are really dry, followed by the lip balm. Good luck!
smiles.gif

Kuuipo

I wear Fusion lipgloss to bed, I also wear it over my lipstick. It makes lips really really soft, and larger (has microencapsulated collagen, hyalaronic acid). I also like pure lanolin. Lanisoh cream, which is meant to heal nursing mother's nipples and is safe enough for the baby to eat is great for lips. A good size tube costs only 12 bucks and for the result you get its a bargain. Vaseline is a petrochemical and while it feels moisturizing, it will dry out lips in the long run.
Menthol products dry lips out in the long haul.