Need hair help...

purple_pumpkin

Hi all!

I want to change my hair color, i want to get out of black, but i don't know which shade of brown to go for? I want to try maybe a lighter brown, or darker brown, but i don't know what shade would complement my skin tone.

I think I'm a NC20.

Here are the pics,

first one is a year ago, i dyed it with black henna (so shiney !
thmbup.gif
), and was long
pum1.jpg

The second pic is from 3 months ago, when i cut it off and dyed it with black hair dye (no shine at all
thmbdn.gif
).
pum2.jpg

I had bangs two years ago, tried all sorts off bags, but i don't like how they look on me, now I'm growing them out, so i cut off the hair shorter so it would grow back together. (bad decision...)
I loved that style for about a month or two, now its sort off grown a little, and i hate it.

I want to grow back longer hair, without bangs.
I have good quality hair, but it looks so dead, with ni shine, or life.

I really need a hair change!
I don't wear makeup or dress up, because I don't think i could pull off a good (polished) look, with this hair
cry.gif
shockt.gif

Help?

MissAlexisDDD

The second time you coloured it did you use box colour or go to a salon? If you have box colour it can be especially difficult to lift, especially since you had that henna colour in it as well. I'm not saying it's impossible since you want a brown colour but it will hurt your hair quite a bit.

I'd say maybe start off getting heavy highlights instead of an all over colour and work from there.

nikkic

Summer is coming so figure it will lighten a bit with the sun too. Right now mine is a med/dark brown and I like it. Plus if it fades, it still looks good. When it was a lighter brown it was more upkeep.

shatteredshards

Black is going to be a bit of a pain to lift. If you heatstyle often, that will seal the dye in further. The henna has to be grown out or hacked off completely, because it can't be lifted.

I would recommend going to a salon; they will best know how to get the black out. My sister, a cosmetology student, seconds it.

purple_pumpkin

My hair grow out about 1 inch when i used a box color (a friend of mine colored me), now, i have about 2-3 inch grown out hair, so im sure my roots will pick up the new color, and I'm ready to shorten my hair a little if needed.

I don't heatstyle, i just blow dry my hair on medium setting.

I'm going to the salon to get the color out, I don't want to do it on my own
shockt.gif

My hairdresser said that it would be best to mix shampoo and bleach, and wash my hair a few times, then to come back tomorrow and see if she should wash it again or color it.

I know that that will hurt my hair, but i need to get out of black, now, rather than later on...

I was thinking last night, that i should use a semi-permanent hair color until I'm sure of what color i want to stay. But I'm not sure about that
th_confused_new.gif

bubbles87

I would say dark brown like a chocolate brown color...if you look up Zooey Deschanel, she has nice brown hair and I think her skin tone is close to yours.

Caderas

i've heard those strippers are worse than lighteners in general. i don't know if they have some kind of a ridiculous chemical formulation compared to lighteners or what. i guess best analogy is box dye (strippers) vs. professional dyes (lighteners)?

my vote as for your color is a lighter golden brown to warm you up a bit! it'd go great with your brows and show off your eyes
greengrin.gif

purple_pumpkin

Just to update.

I didn't go to my hairstylist, I had an argument with one of her employes, that wouldn't sceadule me...
angry.gif

So, I reaserched and found this salon, went to a professional hairstylist, he really talked to me, i told him the whole hair story, since when i am in black, what do i want to do, how i want my hair to look, what is my regimen, etc.

He took two really small sections of hair, and cut them off, so he could find the best way to strip the color and henna down, without hurting my hair too much.

I scheduled two hair treatments, one for tomorrow and second for next week, so my hair could get a bit better before he strips any color.

He has given me a very good discount for both treatments, striping color, haircut and for hair coloring. Yay for that.

I'm so happy and excited
th_DANCE.gif

purple_pumpkin

Just an update.
I have had 2 treatments, and WOW, my hair is so soft, shines, and is so full! I LOVE IT!
But it's still not strong enough to get out of black.
I was scheduled today for getting out of black, and he cut another small section of my hair, and put creme and bleach to see the reaction. The black color faded to slightly reddish, but the hair did stretch, MUCH less then the first time.
So he felt so bad that i was disapointed, as I was waiting so long to get out of black and today was the day for that...
He gave me gratis (free) hair treatment and hairstyling. I didn't want that, but he insisted, and i feel somewhat better now, but still disapointed tho...

I have to wait 2-3 weeks, for my hair to get stronger, then he will try again with the section of hair.

He is working with Joico hair stuff (only he has it, and maybe 2 other hairdresser!).
So I bought the K-Pak shampoo and balsam, to help my hair even more.
I hope it helps, i REALLY want to get out of black
weeping.gif

purple_pumpkin

Thanks MissA!
I have heard good things about it, I was glad that I can buy it in my country, nto having to wait a month or two for it to come from the US

purple_pumpkin

I just made an apointment to go to see if my hair is ready to lift the color.
I hope that i can finally get out of black!
I have roots about 3-3,5 inches, and my natural hair is getting reddish because of the sun, so it's quite noticable
thmbdn.gif

jasikajack

Black hair you want to do shade then use a brown or maroon colour this a looks a nice and also you use a henna in maroon colour this a best for you and it looks a nice.