New Jake Gyllenhaal Movie

Makeup Emporium

Just saw the movie this morning and it was great...very powerful. I don't know how it stacks up to the original as I have not seen it but this one was really well acted. Toby really lost a lot of weight to play this character and was totally freaky! I would say that it was a very sobering movie.

Makes you think about the families and people who are sent off to war. You can't go through that and come back unchanged; I don't care who you are. With so many people fighting overseas it's hard not to know someone whi has been affected by something like that.

My grandfather (who is British) was a POW in WWII for 3 years. His family was told he was dead and they even had a funeral and had a grave and headstone for him. When he came home he was never the same and to this day he has refused to talk about what happened with anyone. He became an alcoholic and was for most of his life. He is still alive and still has never uttered a word about what went on. I think this is to protect himself and his family. I shutter to think about what actually happened.

We need to treat our vets better and have better facilities in place to treat not only the physical wounds but also the emotional ones. After all it is because of them that we are still here. This movie helps to bring this back to people's attention which is well needed.

My thoughts go out to those serving and the families they leave behind...thank you...

spacegirl2007

i saw it last night. it was very good. very powerful and sobering. its also kind of not what the trailer leads you to believe (i hate it when they do that!).

BEA2LS

i have read reviews on this in the paper, mostly bad.. how was it different? it appeared it had less to do with his family back home? i still want to see it.

spacegirl2007

well i dont want to ruin the movie for anyone
smiles.gif

i would definitely reccommend it. it was hard to watch at times, because it was so realistic in my opinion. my friend that saw it complained that it seemed like there were times when the characters were just sitting there not saying anything...and i was like well that's how things happen in real life. you know? i mean, people have awkward silences at the dinner table. also the scenes from the war were really hard to watch, but they don't show too much explicitly.
plus i thought the acting was really good. even natalie portman does a good job of just playing like an average all-american woman, which i thought was kind of a departure for her since she likes to go after more eccentric roles. tobey maguire (sorry idk how to spell his name) definitely did a very find job. when he comes back, its very uncomfortable to watch his character. which i definitely think the writers and director do on purpose, they want it to be hard to watch someone with PTSD and all these other things going on because that's honest. i also think they want it to be hard to watch so people will sit back and wonder 'what is going on in this man's head?' because we don't really know and none of us (okay maybe a very few people who have actually been through the same things he went through) really could ever understand that.

BEA2LS

i finally saw this movie
smiles.gif

I really enjoyed it.. i do think the trailors were misleading but it was still very good.
i did not find it disturbing but i can see how some would (it takes a lot for movies to bother me). i really did enjoy this movie, though