New real swatches on MAC's site!!!

as_cute_as_pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightnlovly
wow!!! This is a great help, but they are not true to life *definateley better than the squares tho* Did you see coppering? It looks purple (maybe it's my comp
hmm.gif
)

coppering on mine looks dark dark muddy brown yuck
tong.gif

ollieo

If you look at the lipstick for example the swatches are the same pictures just different colors. Look closely. There are like 4-5 different pictures. So it is like someone took a few photos of a lipstick rub on paper (if that at all) to get the texture and then photoshoped the original color swatches on them. In a way they look more realistic with the texture which is a good thing.

So IMO a big step in the right direction but still limiting with the color. This coming from someone who is dependent on mail order.

BlahWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieo
If you look at the lipstick for example the swatches are the same pictures just different colors. Look closely. There are like 4-5 different pictures. So it is like someone took a few photos of a lipstick rub on paper (if that at all) to get the texture and then photoshoped the original color swatches on them.

I was just about to post the same thing but for the shadows. Goldmine and Motif have the same "breakage" in the shadow but are two different colours. Same with Scene and Print, and Silver Ring and Knight Divine. Goldmine and Motif both look like computer-generated colours, actually. Well, it does look a bit more realistic... but I almost wish they went all the way with the change instead of taking shortcuts, cuz as others have said some colours are still off. I'll still be going in-store to see things and not relying on the swatches.

Shawna

*runs to check* that is fantastic
smiles.gif
Well, the colours are really muted and most are off in my opinion, but they are still 100% better than those horrible fake swatches. At least I have an idea of what I am purchasing now.

TESSAISDANK

whoa weird. i think they should have both swatches up on the site.

jeez their expensive pink looks NOTHING like it does in real life.

queenofdisaster

lmao.gif
its so funny how technical everyone is! we're so obsessed!!!! i think the swatches are much better, but yeah, kinda off... heheehehe

EmbalmerBabe

Wow that is pretty cool it took them long enough. I really think they could provide way better pictures,I am not complaining though.
Those little colored squares were pretty annoying and elusive.
If you look on other makeup websites they are such accurate,clear,
pictures. Like Pure Luxe? Why can't MAC provide pics like that.

litlaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieo
If you look at the lipstick for example the swatches are the same pictures just different colors. Look closely. There are like 4-5 different pictures. So it is like someone took a few photos of a lipstick rub on paper (if that at all) to get the texture and then photoshoped the original color swatches on them. In a way they look more realistic with the texture which is a good thing.

Yeah, I noticed that. Then I noticed that they use the same couple of images for each of the finishes.

ben

new swatches on maccosmetics.com!!

they're better than the old colour blocks, but not by much :p

(eye and lips sections only)

oops, double post.
mods please delete :0)

caffn8me

The eye shadow swatches are all electronically produced on the fly - not real photographs. They've been quite sneaky. They have used a black and white image which is transparent in parts and they set the background to be the colour of the eye shadow. It's a con folks! If you view a close-up of a shadow swatch and save it to your hard drive, when you open it you'll see a black and white image.

Mylar, for example has a background colour set to #FFEFDE
Whereas Shroom is #FDE5D6

These are exactly the same colour values used in the old colour square swatches (which are still live at http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk).

They're both a medium coloured satin finish shadow so the black and white template used is;

http://a248.e.akamai.net/www.maccosm..._satin_med.png
(attached below as the first picture)

Carbon, as you might expect has a background colour of #000000 and a dark matte template of;

http://a248.e.akamai.net/www.maccosm...matte_dark.png
(attached below second)

So now you know! M·A·C online, consider yourselves busted!

Winthrop44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESSAISDANK

jeez their expensive pink looks NOTHING like it does in real life.

For sure!!! Didn't that one look better on the old swatch? Call me crazy but I've decided I preferred the old ones....just found it easier to compare the colors to each other somehow.

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnatic
some of the colours look pretty off in the website....

They're no more or less off than they were before. They are exactly the same. They are using the same basic technique to create the colours as they did with the old square box swatches (setting a background colour attribute in HTML). They've just changed things slightly so the pictures look like real photographs of product which they are not.

DaizyDeath

I think the new pictures are alot more estetically pleasing even though their the same but you think they could invest some money to make real pictures of their product beacuse i know alot of people can only buy off the web site.

The pigment colors are soo off its sad like golden lemon and sunpepper are WAY too light.

lianna

Yeah, the new swatches are great but I've seen much better product photos taken here by amateurs. Still, I think it's a fantastic improvement.

PhreakPhantasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
The eye shadow swatches are all electronically produced on the fly - not real photographs. They've been quite sneaky. They have used a black and white image which is transparent in parts and they set the background to be the colour of the eye shadow. It's a con folks! If you view a close-up of a shadow swatch and save it to your hard drive, when you open it you'll see a black and white image.

I actually noticed that when the "swatch" was loading. I saw the background color block and then the image load over it. Quite sneaky indeed.
greengrin.gif

CrouchingAfroHiddenPick

I think it's a real improvement but it will never be as better as actually seeing it in the store because due to computer settings and such, what may look good online, may look like total crap in the store!