OK...How much IS too much?

AppleDiva

I think most ppl I hang with probably think that I wear too much makeup because I do not leave my house without foundation. Most ppl around me do not wear makeup at all. I do not always wear e/s or I will wear a bronzer/Stereo Rose MSF as a blush combo.

chameleonmary

Makeup should not mask your face, but accentuate your features.

When you pile on powder or foundation to the point that you cannot identify the original skintone, I think its too much.

When you apply coats of mascara and your lashes get spidery and fiber-y, its too much.

When you make fine lines more obvious from all the powder/shadow/blush, its too much.

If you wear makeup to disguise everything, its too much!

I also think that when people wear makeup in the 'wrong' way - and I know there is no 'right' and 'wrong' way per se... it can look wrong too. Eg. a dark lipliner and light lips - I still see that SO MUCH!

lovelyweapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairybelle
Too much makeup, IMHO, is when it looks like you threw everything on from your makeup kit and you emphasized EVERYTHING, with no 'balance' anywhere. By 'balance' (and this is more of an issue for daytime looks) lighter lips with heavier eyes and vice versa, having a light hand with contour powders, and even being careful not to make eyebrows too dramatic if they aren't that way naturally. With foundation, some women need to wear a bit more because they might have scars, discoloration, etc.. But if it is the wrong shade...then it looks bad!

Personally, I am a makeup whore. I love makeup. I even wear it to the gym, and I don't have shame! I am just careful with my blending, and use neutral colors on weekdays and make sure that I practice 'balance'. Weekends and evenings I love to add more color. Some people may think I wear 'too much', but one person's 'overload' is another's 'minimal'.

I couldn't agree with you more! I wear it to the gym too lol. I thought I was the only one. But I try to wear very, very minimal makeup when I do. And for sure the thing about guys thinking they don't like makeup is sooo true.
yes.gif

liv

Execution is everything. I think most of the 'rules' of makeup can be broken if you have a good grasp of what textures/tones/opacities look best on you. That said, I think "too much makeup!" when I can see streaks of foundation, bronzer so thick it's orange, hastily circled eyes with a thick smudgey flakey eyeliner, streaks of blush, goopy lips, etc.

user79

I think as long as it enhances and accentuates your best features, and the make-up is well applied, it's not too much. But then again, sometimes people say I wear too much make-up but I don't care, I like how it looks on me so I just say, screw em!

n_c

When I read the title for this thread it reminded me of an incident with the boy about a month or so ago and hasnt left my mind.

We had gotten ready to go out, i guess you could say i put on a full face. I intentionally put on more blush than usual and cheek highlight. I felt pretty good that my mu came out decent and thought i looked good.

As we leave, get in the car and hit the first light he looks toward me and stops n says "wow you look pretty" I say thanks. He then adds "did you do something different?" I say no why. Then here it comes, he says... "well I dont know are you trying to be a MAC girl? Because it looks like you are, you added some gold stuff (hello it was blush in sunbasque) on your cheeks and u never do that. U know like the those girls that work there and they look like they have masks on because its alot of makeup . It looks crazy. It just that it looks like your're heading there."

I was speechless...it started as a compliment
th_dunno.gif

Or was this his way or telling me it was too much makeup? i think so.

MiCHiE

I only used Kim K. as an example because, as I said, when she's posted these are the kinds of comments I see. I've seen the same things said about Beyoncé.

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
I only used Kim K. as an example because, as I said, when she's posted these are the kinds of comments I see. I've seen the same things said about Beyoncé.

What about Lil Kim? Do you think she wears too much?
Bossip » Archive » lilkimwhiteface

mrheine

idk...as for me, i wear eyeliner most everyday and feel tired and gross without a tiny bit. it's all psychological i guess? i used to not wear anything on my face but since wearing bare minerals or any sort of face foundation i tone down my eye makeup. i used to be a "look" eyeshadow kind of girl but i'm pretty neutral now. and aside from chapstick, i barely wear ANY lipstuffs.

MiCHiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDiva
What about Lil Kim? Do you think she wears too much?
Bossip » Archive » lilkimwhiteface

Giiirrrrllll......Lil Kim has got so much going on with that mug that people are not even phased by the MU. Now, that's sad...But, yes....she's another one of those who falls into my "you clown (makeup) too much" category.

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
Giiirrrrllll......Lil Kim has got so much going on with that mug that people are not even phased by the MU. Now, that's sad...But, yes....she's another one of those who falls into my "you clown (makeup) too much" category.

Cosmetic surgery is a helluva drug!!

Buttercup

Peoples tastes differ, you're never going to please everybody so I think working on pleasing your own tastes is the best way to go about it. If it makes you feel uncomfortable or you feel you're wearing too much, then it's too much.. but don't let anybody elses different taste alter what you feel more comfortable with. Wear it how you want!

revinn

The entire point of make up is accentuating your positives, so the idea of "too much make up" would differ from person to person. I see people with loads of black eyeliner and shadow around their eyes, and they look FIERCE, but then I turn around and see someone else with the same look and it just doesn't cut it. It's important to know what emphasizes your best features, and to not go with a trend just because it's popular. It's the same with fashion! I love skinny jeans, but there's no way I can pull them off, so why bother? Pick something that you can wear and look amazing in, effortlessly. And also, why have I never heard of Kim K before I joined Specktra? Hmm..

flowerhead

i think 'too much' is when you wear heavy, dramatic makeup every single day. i don't know of this actress (?) but maybe she is rarely photographed without a full face. i wear heavy dark eyemkeup to 'glam up' & it's pretty, but if i wasn't ever seen without gobs of carbon & smolder that'd be 'too much' y'know...i think it's good to save intense makeup for whenever so you look special in it..
i always like people's skin to look fairly natural though, clean matte skin with some discoloration looks better than perfect waxy foundation.

k.a.t

For me i think too much make up is when people wear a full face of make up every single day and so much of it that when they take it off you can't recognise them... my daily make up routine only requires a light tinted moisturiser as foundation and some concealer..and thats cause i have bad sacars at the moment but they seem to be clearing up
greengrin.gif
i embrace natural beauty although i do occasionally wear some mascara. i only wear full make up if im going out/ special occasions etc.. i try to wear as little make up as possible.

MAC_Pixie04

I think that you know if you have too much makeup on if people don't recognize you without it on. I know a girl who works in my mall at bebe and she wears a lot of makeup. It's obviously well applied cuz you can't really tell that she wears as much as she does, but I happened to run into her at 7am during the early Holiday hours and she said hi to me and I had absolutely no idea who I'm looking at. If you putting on makeup is such a drastic difference from your everyday self that people can't recognize you, then there's a good chance you wear too much.

gummybug

This is all about personal opinion. I don't think Kim K wears too much makeup, and what she wears is flattering a majority of the time.

When I think someone has too much makeup on, it's usually because they're wearing the wrong shades. That jumps out at me. I think it's when the makeup, for whatever reason, is the first thing you see in the split second it takes to register a face.

oulala

n_c, my impression is that he finds your make-up hot. Hence his first reaction which was, wow you're pretty. But... maybe it makes him feel insecure, hence kinda putting down your efforts. Just an idea.