OK...How much IS too much?

priss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDiva
What about Lil Kim? Do you think she wears too much?
Bossip » Archive » lilkimwhiteface

the funny thing about lil kim is that she doesnt seem to wear a whole lot of makeup- yet it seems to wear her. i cant say that ive seen her in the colors we love- electric eel, chrome yellow, anything from c shock. her face usually looks like some basic satin taupe, bronze, saddle type look. yet it stands at least 2 feet off of her face.

i guess its what she put the makeup on - meaning all that botched plastic surgery- is whats wrong

n_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by oulala
n_c, my impression is that he finds your make-up hot. Hence his first reaction which was, wow you're pretty. But... maybe it makes him feel insecure, hence kinda putting down your efforts. Just an idea.

Could be...it really bothered me though. Kinda like the pretty compliment was his sneaky way of telling me it was too much...ya know.

gatsby

Too much makeup is makeup that speaks louder than your face. Which means that there is no such thing as "too much makeup", just makeup that's been poorly applied. I know people who absolutely cake it on, but because they do it well and know their features, it's not "too much"... conversely, anyone who's ever made mistakes with black eyeliner (>.< those were bad times) knows that it takes very little makeup to make yourself look clumsy.

We wear makeup to look, and feel, better. If it's not doing its job, no matter how much it is, it's too much.
smiles.gif

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
I think that you know if you have too much makeup on if people don't recognize you without it on. I know a girl who works in my mall at bebe and she wears a lot of makeup. It's obviously well applied cuz you can't really tell that she wears as much as she does, but I happened to run into her at 7am during the early Holiday hours and she said hi to me and I had absolutely no idea who I'm looking at. If you putting on makeup is such a drastic difference from your everyday self that people can't recognize you, then there's a good chance you wear too much.

I agree with the above point. But then again if you see some celebs without their makeup and it makes you want to either run away or vomit in your mouth, then their normal made-up face is not too much, because consider the alternative
eeksign.gif
lol.

As much as I love Christina A., I've seen girlfriend without makeup and it is not pretty. She and others know that papparzzi are going to be all up their butts, so they pack it on.

Conversely, there are the seemingly natural celebs that don't care if photogs are stalking them (or just want to be normal) and so they have a different vibe.

All in all Kim K has a persona she has created for herself, and I think it suits her. She wants to be a smoldering sex kitten and she's achieved that. It depends on the personality of the individual. Some can rock dark or brights, or heavily contoured faces all the time, and some ppl can't.

As far as normal people, too much makeup also has to do with the environment you are in, and whether or not you have the balls to rock a look. When I worked in a doctor's office, I'd push the limits with color sometimes, but I made sure my blending and stuff was on point and wore it with confidence and no one said a word to me. Probably because I was also the one to wear lime green scrubs to work
yes.gif

Personally, I draw the line at false lashes in the daytime during the week. For my face, that is too much attn, but at night it's too fly
greengrin.gif

NYDoll88

I don't really think it's about the amount of makeup used, I think it's how it is applied and what colors are used. For instance, I was watching a movie the other day with my friend. The girl in the movie had on no makeup except some pretty black shadow and liner. Maybe a little lipgloss. My friend said "wow, she's wearing so much makeup!" It wasn't that the character was wearing a lot of makeup, it was just noticeable because it was black.

I wear several different products on my face daily--
foundation
under-eye concealer
blemish concealer
powder
blush
shimmer
bronzer
eyeliner
mascara

and then I add what I like( eyeshadow, lipliner, lipstick, lipgloss).

But if I wore just mascara with full face makeup on..people wouldn't say I had a lot of makeup on. It's kind of hard to explain. Another thing is blend blend blend! I think when colors are blended they look better and less harsh.

Babylard

yeah i dont think its how much you put on but how you put it on and what colours you choose and the intensity of the colours applied. some people wear it better than others.

i think too much is when you look like ronald mcdonald
smiles.gif

my biggest gripe is blotchy, got punched in the face blush that isnt blended well + heavily applied and horribly foundation that doesn't match your real skin -- this gives the illusion of too much make up

i sometimes get i wear too much but it makes me feel better about myself, so screw you.. i'll wear my blush, foundation,eyeshadow,eyeliner,mascara,lipstick,lip gloss,bronzer if i want to!

Kalico

I don't know why it bothers so many people. It looks bad if it's poorly applied, but if a girl is wearing a lot of make-up and it's obvious, but it looks GOOD, who cares? There seems to be a pride a lot of people have that they don't wear much make-up, or they wear none at all. Well, good for them - but I think they look boring, even if they are natural beauties. That's just my opinion lol. It's like wearing sweats and a T in public, or even worse - PJ's. Boring! Not that people are there to look pretty for my entertainment. Does this make any sense?

MariahGem

It's an odd thing, and obviously everyone has their own threshold for "too much". But to me, (not specifically ON me) the Mimi from Drew Carey or Tami Faye Baker is TOO MUCH.

But then, I always remember that makeup is there for our enjoyment. If you feel that you're having a good time and feel good about yourself, then you're good!

Lissah

I like dramatic and dark makeup looks. I don't wear them alot because it's not a quick easy look for me to throw together. I can appreciate some way over the top looks on people (esp on the young) as long as the skin products (foundation, powder, blush etc) look good and aren't overdone. I guess I'm trying to say overly dramatic lips and eyes can look fine to me but not overdone face products. To me, there's nothing worse than cracking, crusty, blotchy or bad shades of foundation, powder or blush on a person. To me, if the skin looks badly done, they can't look good. When I say this I'm not referring to peoples' skin flaws but their actual face makeup application/color.

snugglebunny

I agree with a lot of you girls.

When someone can't even distinguish who you are without makeup..that's pretty much a sign that that's too much makeup =/ If you just see a manaquin out of a person..that's too much.

Too much makeup depends on your facial features, whether they are big, small, round, angly, etc. Some super light natural makeup can even look heavy on some person, but on someone else, it might look like they have nothing on. Some people's faces are able to "handle" more makeup without looking too made up.

Winnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
I think that you know if you have too much makeup on if people don't recognize you without it on. I know a girl who works in my mall at bebe and she wears a lot of makeup. It's obviously well applied cuz you can't really tell that she wears as much as she does, but I happened to run into her at 7am during the early Holiday hours and she said hi to me and I had absolutely no idea who I'm looking at. If you putting on makeup is such a drastic difference from your everyday self that people can't recognize you, then there's a good chance you wear too much.

I totally agree, this happened to me. At Uni theres this girl who I thought didn't wear that much make up but I was wrong. I bumped into her when I was handing some work in and I didn't recognise her at all, she wasn't the same person. It was crazy!

elegant-one

WHAT WOC shouldn't wear red lipstick or blush...hahaha Really?

WOC totally rock reds. I'm surprised at that.
Of course, my MAC MUA is a WOC and she totally rocks ANY color.

Kalico

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
WHAT WOC shouldn't wear red lipstick or blush...hahaha Really?

WOC totally rock reds. I'm surprised at that.
Of course, my MAC MUA is a WOC and she totally rocks ANY color.

I agree! Fair people have to be careful... the blonde ones even more.

Kismet29

My favorite thing about getting ready to go to work is doing my eyes and face. I love coming up with different looks and color combos. I often am asked why are you all dressed up? even in jeans and a t shirt if I am wearing a purple smokey eye and sheer lip gloss I am "all dressed up" I don't think its too much unless like was already said It wears you. I mean I loved the tutorial on leaopard print eyes but I only wear it oo work cause I'm a MUA I wouldn't wear that to go to the grocery store. I think there are some looks that are too much for certain occasions. But I also say if you feel georgeous in a smokey eye with glitter and bright red lips during the day then wear it and wear it fierce baby! Its should be about feeling hot not pleasing others. We are artist and we should rock that and be proud!

Kragey

Y'know, a lot of people think of "too much makeup" as being "anything visible." Speaking as a women who wears bright blue, hot pink, flesh colored, and blood red lipstick on a pretty regular basis, I have to disagree. :p

Makeup is art, and art is personal. Even when I think someone is wearing too much, I tell myself, "Hey, if that's what they like, they can wear it, and I'll just keep wearing mine the way I like it."

Twinkle_Twinkle

I totally agree with this. Personally, I use a lot of different products when I apply my makeup. Foundation, powder, bronzer, 3 blushes, a higlighter, and lets not get into the number of eye products any of us use in any given eye look, however the end result isn't that I look overly made-up. My friends always as about my blush, as if I am just wearing one, and I tell them, "This is four products hun!" and they can't believe it. Something that looks elegantly simple often requires a dozen products, I don't have to tell you all that. But some things, namely very heavy foundation are the staples of overly done makeup. When I see someone who I think is wearing "too much" makeup, it's usually because they are sporting a mask of foundation. Or another scenario is just that there is too much going on for the given situation, i.e. really bold eyes, lips, and cheeks in a casual day-time setting.

Obviously there are no set rules regarding when to wear what makeup, but I think usually when I see someone with "too much" makeup it breaks down to too much foundation, or a lot of poorly applied makeup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
Yes, it's so funny....I think it is just a personal preference and not a general rule. I've seen FOTDs with a list of products used and it does not look like a lot or overdone. Although it does sound like even some of us are wearing too much by what I'm reading here. The first people to pop into my head as far as too much are some of the clients whose nails I've done (ex.: the harsh line of black almost completely around the eye, clumped mascara), MiMi from The Drew Carey Show, Tammy Faye (RIP), and Christina Aguilera (the Hulk Hogan Bronzer, gobs of blush, and ever-present red lips). All and all, I guess I'm not bothered by the standard "too much", but bad is bad---whether it's just a little or a lot.