Older Man?

feenin4makeup

Ok, curious about what your opinions might be on this one....

I met this guy that I really like and I think I'd like to really get to know better. The only "problem" is his age. He is 48 and I'm 33. Now, I'm not opposed of anyone dating men/women older or younger than they are in general. The weird thing to me about this is that both of my parents are 52. That means 4 years diff between him and them and 15 years between him and I. What does everyone think? Way too old or too close to my parents age? Is it "creepy"? Any and all opinions appreciated!

MissResha

i can only speak for myself.

i'm very close with my dad, he's 52 this year, and i cannot imagine dating anyone near the age of him or his friends. thats just gross to me.

but hey, do what you like. i just couldn't do it because its way too creepy and older guys (some of them) tend to take on the "daddy" role with younger girls. ugh.

pop violet

I can see how you would think it's creepy, but I would give it a shot! You said you really like him and want to get to know him better so you should do it. Is his age the only questionable thing though? If so, I wouldn't let the age thing get in the way... besides he's not THAT much older. Now, if you said he was 68, we might have to have a little talk! lol

Good luck (and keep us updated)!

xxoo

Simply Elegant

If that's the only thing bothering you and it's something you can let slide, then go for it. If this is something that you'll always be thinking is wrong, then I really think you might want to at least consider not being with him. If you're unsure of how the age difference will affect you, try being friends first so you'll know he won't be treating you like a child.

TISH1124

My sister is 42 and her husband is 57...My Mother is 60 and my father is 65 ...They have been happily married for 15 years....So I say age is just a number if the two people are on the same page.... My husband is younger than me...But we don't see age..we see that we are two people that love each other very much. ...and he just happens to be younger. And it takes them longer to mature anyway....heck he is probably 33 at heart and in mind!

Mac_Lust

I think Simply Elegant is right, you should get to know each other s friends first! That way you know exactly what your getting yourself into!
yes.gif

feenin4makeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha
i can only speak for myself.

i'm very close with my dad, he's 52 this year, and i cannot imagine dating anyone near the age of him or his friends. thats just gross to me.

but hey, do what you like. i just couldn't do it because its way too creepy and older guys (some of them) tend to take on the "daddy" role with younger girls. ugh.

This was my first reaction too and normally wouldn't even entertain the idea but because he doesn't act "old" I started wondering if this could work. I think I will take the friends first approach anyway because I feel like relationships in general that are built on friendship seem to make it more than if you aren't friends. He doesn't take on the "daddy" role (just eeewww) and if he did, I'd have to stop it right there. Not my style
thmbdn.gif

M.A.C. head.

You're both adults. That's the most important factor to me. If you click well and you have a good time together, don't let an age gap keep you from developing a relationship.

ginger9

You are both adults, why not?

I find men in their 40s even 50s attractive and I'm in my 30s. The only thing you may want to consider is what type of a relationship you are looking for right now. Just dating, great. Are you looking to settle down and want children? You may want to find out what his views are on that. Perhaps he already has children from a previous relationship? Sometimes people are not open to kids if they are older, but then again 48 isn't that old but you may want to keep that in consideration if that's what you'd like to have. HTH
smiles.gif

X4biddenxLustX

I agree with all the other girls, go for it! Age isn't really a big deal in most cases (I'm 18 but the idea of me being with a guy who is like 60 freaks me out lol), as long as the two people get along and are compatible with each other.

Several of my friend's parents have a 12 year age difference and I never even noticed it whenever I'd be at their houses. They just mesh together very well.

As for the daddy role....don't think I'm weird but I do kind of look for a father like/parent figure in guys. My dad and I weren't too too close when I was younger growing up and I guess I'm trying to make up for that now not only with him but with my relationships? The guy who I had liked (he's about to turn 22) isn't that much older than me but I like that since he is older he knows more about life and how things work. Plus there are some things about his personality that remind me of my own father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha
but in all honesty.....sexy ass George Clooney (age 47) would get it. hard.

ROFL! Don't get me started on Hugh Laurie....
drools.gif
lol.gif

TISH1124

Brad Pitt is 46 this year .....and Two years from now he will still be a fine ass Mofo to me!!! yes lawd!! Hummm child....Loves me some BP..I'd cheat on Big Poppa with him....Yep, I would!!!

Septemba

My fiance is 15 years older than me and I'd love him just the same if he were 20 or 30 years older. He's the best thing that has ever happened to me. It's about the person, not the age. Some of my uncles act like 13 year old brats!

I've always had older friends and have difficulty relating to my peers, but that's changing somewhat now as people my age are maturing.

Go for it! Forget the number. The worst thing that can happen is it doesn't work out.

MACATTAK

I agree with the others who said if this is the only thing you are worried about, go for it! Good people are hard to find & I wouldn't let one get away just because of age. At this point you said you "just want to get to know him better," so it's not like you are getting married or anything. Even if it did lead to that, there is nothing wrong with it. Have fun, enjoy life
smiles.gif

TISH1124

Age is a number....there are women on here that look 15 years younger than what they are...Men who take care of themselves age very well...I am surprised at some of the men I meet and they say they are 50 ...they look like they are in their 30's ...then I meet a 25 year old and he looks like he has been road hard and long....Don't let people discourage you...Just enjoy the time you guys spend together...if it leads to more...Good for you!

hrdruian

I totally feel your concern!! I'm 25 and at 39 year old is after me. There are other factors that prohibit it right now, but if they weren't in place you never know. So I feel you. I like him (contrary to popular belief and opinion, hilly!), but there is that twinge of uncertainty. So i'm with you. 15 year difference between me and him and 6-7 years between him and my parents. i don't really worry about the 'daddy role' so much, but there is something i can't quite define that has me bothered about it.

Latest posts