OPI (rant)

user79

Hm I'm thinking that it might not be OPI but the way that you applied. There's a few factors that can contribute to peeling.

First of all, when you apply the base coat you want to make sure that you have absolutely no oils on your hand. I usually rub the nails first with nailpolish remover so that removes any creams or natural oils.

Second, you might have been applying too thick layers. It's best to do 2-3 thin coats of polish, rather than 1-2 thick coats. If the polish is a bit on the thick/gloopy side, use some polish thinner to thin it down a tad.

Third, you really want to use a good basecoat, something like Nailtek Foundation II, Creative Stickey, Orly Bonder....

Lastly, you want to use a good topcoat that will fully dry all the layers of polish....it could be that it didn't dry propperly? Try Seche Vite topcoat, it's a fast try topcoat that really works.

BTW paying that much for OPI is not necessary, there's etailers that sell it for around $4.50 or so.
smiles.gif

florabundance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
My nails are so chippy and peely and soft, that nothing lasts on them. So I dont paint them

I have soft nails, so I paint them for that very reason. For me, it seems to protect them, and they grow with the shape i've filed them. When they're bare they break for like no reason at all.

-Merel.

I've got a few of them, I love the colours, but they do chip on me... I also use a topcoat (also by OPI) but it keeps chipping
ssad.gif

Shadowy Lady

I've never had any problems with OPI and I've been wearing their polishes for years. I actually have no chipping for almost a week after application and don't even use a top coat

BEA2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabundance
I have soft nails, so I paint them for that very reason. For me, it seems to protect them, and they grow with the shape i've filed them. When they're bare they break for like no reason at all.

same here

but in all seriousness, all polish chips on me. i just either touch it up or change color. i like all brands.. essie is my fave, but i like china glaze, opi.. i like sally hansen, i have some avon i wear. i love it all, lol.

Dahlia_Rayn

I am also cursed with nails that are soft and peely. Part of it is because I have to wear exam gloves at work, and the humidity is a bitch. I love nailpolish, but have to change it every few days when I wear it, because it just gets too chipped, but I realize it's my nails and not the polish. Hey Michie, short of getting acrylics (I always break them), what is another service that I could get that might help strengthen my nails?

Princess_Lily

Someone asked me a while ago, which nail polish I prefer. I swear by all Essie Nail polishes (color only). OPI is not good IMO.

Base Coats: I prefer just a regular clear polish (if any).
A Good Top Coat/Protein: Rejuvacote.

MiCHiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlia_Rayn
I am also cursed with nails that are soft and peely. Part of it is because I have to wear exam gloves at work, and the humidity is a bitch. I love nailpolish, but have to change it every few days when I wear it, because it just gets too chipped, but I realize it's my nails and not the polish. Hey Michie, short of getting acrylics (I always break them), what is another service that I could get that might help strengthen my nails?

Well, for one, acrylics do not strengthen nails. Actually, it weakens them over time only because your nails adapt to their conditions. If a nail is constantly covered, it doesn't have to "work". Try wearing a strengthener on your nails. I always recommend Nailtiques (probably Formula 1 or 2 for you) or Seché Plus. You don't have to add coats every other day, though. Just leave it on for a week or so.

leenybeeny

My nails are oily, so polish peels off very quickly. I make sure to give them a good scrub and buff them before I apply anything.. I always use a basecoat and topcoat.

NutMeg

I'm starting to think that oil on my nails is part of the problem. That and I don't own a dishwasher so I hand wash all my dishes. Whenever I wash dishes, all of my nail polish comes off in one piece. So annoying.

concertina

OPI is good, but I *SWEAR* by China Glaze. Barely chips, rarely needs more than two, thin coats to get to bottle color, doesn't stain. You can take OPI, just leave me my China Glaze!!

MiCHiE

And, that's OK. Use what works for you. That's why I said no one brand will work for everyone and that's why more brands than OPI exist.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
And, that's OK. Use what works for you. That's why I said no one brand will work for everyone and that's why more brands than OPI exist.

Perfectly stated....What works for one does not equate to crap for others and vice versa.... Everyone has different body dynamics...My nail artists paints my nails and she uses OPI but she has more skills than I do so it lasts for 2 weeks when she does it. ...If I painted my own probably wouldn't last for 2 days. But it lasts on my tooties forever!! Less oil on the tootsies I think...

CandiGirl21

I hope you weren't trying to be a smart ass. It kinda sounds like it.

Anyway, That's why I said OPI isn't for me. Sally Hansen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥

MiCHiE

No, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. How would you even read that from that statement? There is nothing "smart ass" about it.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandiGirl21
I hope you weren't trying to be a smart ass. It kinda sounds like it.

Anyway, That's why I said OPI isn't for me. Sally Hansen.

Girl your attitude really goes there at tmes....I don't think Michie was trying to be a smart *** at all...That is not even her character....Your language is so foul most times ...and I'm sure you don't care...But my goodness does everything have to have curse words in it...and no everyone is not going to agree with you, me or anyone else for that matter. Chill. OPI and Sally Hansen...Really not that serious of a topic...

blondemafia76

I always have to go with acrylics- because every polish peels on me. Something about my nails... and that SUCKS!! My daughter is the same way and it bumms her out bc she is 10 and wants to wear polish- and I wont let her do acrylic (believe me shes asked!!!)
Base coat, top coat, roughing up the nail (i know, YIKES!!) all kinds of polish, nothin works.
ssad.gif
Oh well, I save it for my toes.
smiles.gif

TISH1124

Is it because we have a lot of oil in our skin and nails?? There is really no way to control that is it...I wear Solar nails because the chipped nail thing was always a pain in my butt...If I see one little chip I pick and pick uncontrollably like a crack head or something...