Paints Vs. Shadesticks!

makeup_junkie

(sorry, i don't know if this should be here or in recommendations...)

I was at the MAC counter at Nordstrom yesterday trying to get a shadestick because I want to try an alternative to using paints as my eyeshadow base because my eyeshadow STILL creases (seriously one of the most frustrating things in the world). I was explaining my situation to the MA and she said that there's no reason to have both paints and shadesticks because they are the same thing, except the paint is a "liquid"....not really what I would call it but that's what she said. She said I would be wasting my money if I had both the paints (bare canvas and still life) and the shadesticks (I was going to get fresh cement and beige-ing). Is this true?

I just want to know your opinion because apparently I'm confused now.

rouquinne

no, it's not true. Fresh Cement shadestick has more colour to it than Bare Canvas Paint. i have both of them and use both of them, but i would never use Bare Canvas alone, while i use Fresh Cement alone.

i'm an NC15-20.

and shadesticks STILL crease on me by the end of the day if i don't put powder over them!

makeup_junkie

Well I know that the shadesticks generally have more color to them especially in comparison with bare canvas paint. I guess I'll just try a shadestick myself. I can't get my hands on UDPP.
cry.gif

user4

shadesticks crease on me too... they do have more pigmentation but i use it more on top of my ud pp... the colors are nice but they do crease... i dont know why. even the MA told me that paints are better.

user4

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeup_junkie
Well I know that the shadesticks generally have more color to them especially in comparison with bare canvas paint. I guess I'll just try a shadestick myself. I can't get my hands on UDPP.
cry.gif

i think they have ud pp on the sephora site... u may want to check there.

ChrisKsAngel

Normally Sephora does sell the PP, but it is Out Of Stock. UD can't make enough of it and everytime they do get it in, it flies off the shelf.

moonrevel

I am a base fiend, so I use both Paints and Shadesticks simultaneously! I do this mostly because I am out of Primer Potion...normally I would put PP all over first, and then put the Shadestick (or multiple Shadestick colors!) on the lid and crease, but I've substitued Untitled Paint for the PP and basically do the same thing with a thin coat of that first. I guess everyone's different, but I have super oily lids, so I need a lot of base goodness to get a full day out of my shadow, and trial and error has shown this method works the best for me.

makeup_junkie

Maybe I'll try using both a paint and shadestick. Ahhh the trials and tribulations of having oily lids......

kimmy

i have really oily skin and the only thing that makes my shadow not crease is the shadesticks...shadesticks are love <3

sharronmarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ANTHEM
i have really oily skin and the only thing that makes my shadow not crease is the shadesticks...shadesticks are love <3

ITA, while I find the paints are ehh, I LOVE shadesticks, they make the colors so much more beautiful!!!

HappyHannah

Have you guys tried using an oil blotter sheet before doing your eye stuff? I used to crease like crazy than i started using C & C oil blotting sheets first then paints in bare canvas then a shadestick if i want the color to realy pop that day. HTH!
smiles.gif

rouquinne

so far, i've been having better results with Benefit Lemon Aid than anything else i've tried for my oily eyelids.

jess98765

Paints work really well on me- i have quite dry skin. A Mac MA used shadesticks on me once and it felt really heavy - and it also caused my e/s to crack which i thought was weird....
ssad.gif

lola336

i also have oily lids and i use the shadesticks and paints together. the shadesticks have so much more color payoff...but i feel like they crease more than the paints. its rare for the paints to crease on me. so i like to use a paint as a base, with the shadestick over. i also use the primer potion but its interchangeable with the paint. i would get both and try them. that way u see what works best for you.

aziajs

Shadesticks and Paints aren't the same thing. I hate when MA's give misinformation. You have to try both. That's the only way to know for sure. I love paints! I just love them. I use them as a base for color. I use them by themselves. I use them in combination with shadows to create new shades and finishes.

Shadesticks are beautiful and have very nice shades. That is why I like them but they aren't the best base in my opinion. Shadesticks crease on me by themselves so I always use a paint like Bamboom (it's almost a perfect match for my skin tone) as a primer and then layer a shadetick over it.

Caderas

shadesticks vs. paints

in your opinion, which is better?? for bases, by themselves, or for anything else. and give a reason and your favorite colour if you'd like.

another_mac_addict

I'm probably going to be the only person to say this, but I hate Shadesticks. The colors are great, but I bought Sharkskin and doesn't go on easily and it creases. I've got really oily eye lids, but still. I adore Paints though. Especially Flammable, Stilife and Pixel.