Paints Vs. Shadesticks!

unalicious

I have to say that I love both. I love my paints for sheer bases (Stilife is a staple in my make-up routine) as well as for coloured bases. However, I like my shadesticks to wear just by themselves or as coloured bases. I love mixing up the colours and seeing what combinations I get.

I have oily lids, and when I use shadesticks, I lay down a very sheer, thin application of paint before putting the shadestick on top. I find that it works quite well. Not as great a staying power as paints, but hey, 12 hours is still pretty good.

AimeeEm

Paints are my HG but I also like my shadestick in Shimmersand because it works for any warm eye that I like to do for a sort of brownish nude look; browns, beiges, melons...

Just yesterday I wore nothing but Shimmersand with Benefit's Georgia on lids. And then Georgia all over face as powder. Just a little bit of colour but enough to make you look healthy. And my brown eyes liked the warm beige touch.

Jenn L.

I like paints better; easier to apply than the shadesticks. I use stilife, canton candy, mauvism, bamboom, pixel, bare canvas, & tan ray.

shabdebaz

I personally love the paints. I use them everytime in my makeup routine either alone or in combo with other paints or shadows. The colours are great and they really stay put all day long. One of my faves is Artjam.

ashley_v85

I personally think that the Beige-ing SS is heaven sent. I wear it almost every single day, under everything.

CaptainMac

I REALLY wish I liked shadesticks--it does seem to make the colors on people's FOTDs stand out really well--but I've tried three of them and they are so dry when I'm putting it on that I can't stop feeling like I'm giving myself wrinkles with all the tugging. They don't crease but I hate applying them. Therefore, I am a paint girl, usually Bare Canvas.

mspixieears

Merged 2 threads about paints and shadesticks. The first few posts belong to the older thread and then the rest belong to formerly 'shadesticks vs. paints'.

vloky

I never got a hang of how to apply the paints and I love the simplicity of the shade sticks. I love my cement shade stick. I've put my paints up for swap though, because I don't use them, because I just make a mess.

xiahe

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeup_junkie
Maybe I'll try using both a paint and shadestick. Ahhh the trials and tribulations of having oily lids......

shadesticks crease (but they're different on everyone) so if you use a paint and a shadestick over it, you should be fine.

prppygrl69

i don't know if any of you do this,but i have oily skin and lids.the way my eyelids are it'd be easy to crease on me,but b4 i do all of my eye art i put my foundation on AND powder also,i put foundation and powder on my lids,then i do the rest of my make up and ive never had a problem with anything creasing since i was like 13 and found this out lol

kimmy

shadesticks v. paints?

my lone shadestick is running extremely low, so i'm gonna have to go to mac next time i have money and get a new one. but i was wondering if maybe i should switch to a paint. i'm using it solely as a base...and i know many of you fine ladies and gents have tried both as bases.

which do you like better?
why?
which is easier to apply?
which keeps the shadow colour on longest?
which makes the shadow colour most vibrant?

thanks in advance
smiles.gif

bocagirl

I love paints because they are so easy to work with, that being said I just bought 3 shadesticks. The first one I had used to tug at my lid a lot but these last ones I bought seem to apply much smoother. I generally use paints with eyeshadows and shadesticks with pigments.

pumpkincat210

My only shadestick tugged at my eyelids and was kinda dry. I like paints much better with the 217 brush. I seem to overapply with my finger.
But I love paints as i can manipulate them better.
They both have their advantages and disadvantages, but since you've never had a paint i'd definately get a good base color like Bare Canvas, Untitled or Stilife.

Jennifer Mcfly

I like paints waaaaaay better! I have two shadesticks and use them with a base to make the color more vivid.
ie:

Blurburry with Trax, Sketch, Coppering...
Sea Me with Jewel Blue, Freshwater etc...

I can't use the shadesticks alone as a base however b/c they crease on me and don't give as even a texture as paints do.

But if they work for you as a base then stick with them
smiles.gif

talk2mesun

i like shadesticks a lot better, i like how they bend the shade you apply over them a little bit, their staying power, and boldness. however, i do use paints some too...
my local mac ma said that oily skin people should use paints because shadesticks will get yucky and greasy and creasy..i have dry skin, so i cant comment on that. i think shadesticks keep the color brighter and longer and all that, but paints are certainly easier to apply!
smiles.gif

mspixieears

I'm a paint gal, I had one shadestick and it just didn't like me, sadly. And paints stay put much better than shadesticks. I had Royal Hue and it just didn't apply evenly, and tugged at my lid as others have stated above.

pushhupsindrag

i love paints alllotttt better. i think shadesticks are hearder to get on and dont last as long plus they crease on me. and paints go on really smooth and it stays longer and makes the eyeshadow more vibrant.

Midgard

I like paints more. They are easier to apply and the shadesticks dried out my lids horribly!
ssad.gif