Palettes verses pots

tannny

hey guys, i just got a train case and i want to store everything very neatly like the nerd that i am. i was wondering, what do you guys prefer: pots or palettes? what palette do you think would suit the mac train case? would the 16 fit well? basically what do you guys prefer???
smiles.gif

aziajs

I have always liked pots but I have to admit that palettes make things organized and compact.

ishtarchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
I have always liked pots but I have to admit that palettes make things organized and compact.

ITA here, pots look cute, but palettes come in very handy sometimes
greengrin.gif
and if you have tons of stuff, get the 15 pans, but if you're just starting (like meee) get some quads

mel0622

i really like the palettes way better than pots! because u dont have to open a lot of pots when u do ur make up! and its 2 bucks cheaper to buy e/s in pan form.

xiahe

i like pots because i think they're really cute (and i'm obsessed with cute packaging!) but palettes make things more compact and they take up less room lol

JesusShaves

i used to love palettes... but now i dislike the 15 pan one... since it fell chipping many of the e/s... thats what i DONT like...

the recent pots that i've purchased i havent depotted... i dont think i will... one reason is... if i do a look using 5+ e/s and know i will be out for the whole day, i hate having to carry around two 4 pan palettes.. lols!

Noire

For compactness and organisation, 15 slot palettes. They look the "neatest" when put away. If you want to see your shadows more easily, don't have a ton of eyeshadow, but still want things to stack nicely, go with the clear-topped 4 slot palettes.

That said, lots of people prefer to use pots. I use my quads the most, personally. I also have 3 15 slot palettes and some shadows that came in pots and left that way. The pots are a pain to store though, at least to me.

And lastly... it isn't MAC, I know, but you should take a look at the MakeUp ForEver traincase before you decide to buy the MAC one!

~Noire

tannny

thanks guys! yeah i had a 4 slot palette and my expensive pink shadow broke
ssad.gif
i managed to fix the shadow by pressing onto it which i could never ever do before. i currently have exactly 15 pots so i dont know if i should depot them and go for a case. you do save money buy getting palettes but i have no clue what to go for. im thinking maybe doing a palette of only PRO colors for my collection. stupid me i just purchased the mac case, i honestly like it, its cute but the organization of pencils and brushes is kind of lame and you cant fit a direct row of pots without having some space on the side. thanks for all your help! i think i love the pots too much since they are so cute......

Isis

Pots gost $13.50 each, where as if you buy in pan for they're only $10.
Of course LE colors only come it pots though.

Personaly I love using the 15x palettes! I need to go buy more though.

scrapbookromance

I have 13 e/s (plus the Trend eye pallette) and I put them all in a 15x pallette. I used to have them in the quads, but its so nice to just open one thing and have them all right there. ooh ooh, and traveling - I love having it all in one place! and, buying one big pallette and 15 pan e/s is cheaper than 15 pot e/s. more money towards more MAC!

MACgirl

I love pots and everything but I have so much eyshadows (6 15 pan pallets full) that it would be crazy to have it all in pot form. Besides by haiving them in the pan you get to save money and use the pots u laready have or LE pots for the b2m program.

Ada

I resisted depotting for so long... and I still have occasional twinges of regret when I buy an LE shadow and it's in a cute little pot... but overall it was way worth it. I still love the way pots look... and I know this is silly but I felt like my collection looked bigger when i had all pots, and that made me feel better about having spent so much money on it. Now that everything's tucked away in sleek palettes it doesn't seem like I have as much-- and my collection doesn't look noticeably bigger whenever I buy a new shadow.

I swore I would never de-pot, but when I reached 50 shadows, I HAD to. I had a pretty big traincase with four fold-out shelves, and I could fit twelve pots on each shelf, nice and neatly. But once I ran out of space on the shelves (not to mention that all my other makeup- liners, blushes, lipglasses, etc-- was just piled up in the bottom, very disorganized) I bought four 15 pan-pallettes on a whim, came home and de-potted all of them.

I do miss being able to toss a couple of shadows in my bag when I'm going somewhere-- I feel like they were better protected in pots and I'm afraid to take my palettes anywhere because they seem a lot easier to break-- and I'd be breaking 15 shadows, not just one or two!

Really I would reccomend keeping them in pots until your collection becomes unmanageably large. Yeah you're paying more for the pots, but when you do de-pot you can go get a bunch of lipsticks-- so you're not wasting money at all.

tannny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ada

Really I would reccomend keeping them in pots until your collection becomes unmanageably large. Yeah you're paying more for the pots, but when you do de-pot you can go get a bunch of lipsticks-- so you're not wasting money at all.

thank you thats exactly what i think im going to do. ahah yes it does make my collection look bigger so ill wait till i hit 50 or so ahah...ill get a couple of quad palettes too, to store colors id like to take with me, although ive had a bad experiance with a shadow breaking, i guess i have to be more careful!

mspixieears

When possible, I buy pro pans, and for the LE e/s I've been leaving them in their pots, seeing as I don't have heaps of them...yet.

I was under the impression that originally 15-pan palettes were for pros to transport their collection, and storage, rather than functionally carry around with you (as a palette to do your touch-ups etc.). I wouldn't dare carry mine out the door, but then again, I am a shaky retard
smiles.gif

Isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspixieears
I was under the impression that originally 15-pan palettes were for pros to transport their collection, and storage, rather than functionally carry around with you (as a palette to do your touch-ups etc.). I wouldn't dare carry mine out the door, but then again, I am a shaky retard
smiles.gif

I would assume so too, unless of course you happen to carry around a traincase for a purse
tong.gif
That's why I keep a couple of spare 4x palettes on hand that I can transfer colors in and out of.

Krista

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ
I would assume so too, unless of course you happen to carry around a traincase for a purse
tong.gif
That's why I keep a couple of spare 4x palettes on hand that I can transfer colors in and out of.

That's what I do too. I rarely take my e/s out of my house, unless I'm staying overnight somewhere. Enough primer and there's no need for touchups!!!

pushhupsindrag

i think palettes are very good for organization. i had a crazy time when mine were in pots, they were scattered everywhere around my house, never could find them all. the only bad thing about the palette i think is thart it is not too mobile.

aznsmurfy

I like pans! It's just more convenient and easy to use.
smiles.gif
Although I do like the pots for my "special" eyeshadows. haha
smiles.gif
It makes them stand out, but a pain to kind of root around for.
smiles.gif