Parenting Styles - does it cause a rift?

Raerae

Kinda off topic, kinda not, but this discussion reminds me of the parents who dont want their daughters vaccinated for HPV because it's a STD. Their daughters would never have sex! So they obviously dont need it.

Thinking like that just makes me go :whattha:

I just dont understand why parents dont give their children every possible chance possible at staying free of STD's. It amazes me that sex is still such a taboo subject, even in 2006.

I know when I see my gyno in october (TMI I know =P LOL) I'm going to ask him about that vaccination.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Kinda off topic, kinda not, but this discussion reminds me of the parents who dont want their daughters vaccinated for HPV because it's a STD. Their daughters would never have sex! So they obviously dont need it.

I plan on having my daughters vaccinated against HPV, but I believe there is a large difference between an innoculation and a surgical procedure.

Yeah, I know the article was about female circumcision, but I was actually looking something else up. I was curious as to what claims are made pertaining to female circumcisions and STDs. Just a random tangent, really. I just happened to come across the blurb on male circumcision and found it interesting.

There are tons more articles out there questioning the STD/circ thing, but like your cat, I lose all kinds of things when my kids start banging on the computer.

You're right, empirical evidence can show that in countries where the circ rate is low, the STD infection rate is high, but you have to also factor in that circ rates are high (and infections rates are lower) in countries where there are better sex ed programs. I don't think you can separate the two, KWIM? As in statistically.

I haven't had unprotected sex with anyone besides my husband. It might just be because I'm one of those people that is terrified that I'm going to be "The One" that something bad happens too. Probably the same reason that I haven't done drugs nor do I drink. Maybe its just because I was scared shitless that my parents would find out if I did something bad and the consequences were enough to keep me too afraid to do anything LOL

I didn't even have unprotected sex with my ex-bfs AFTER their STD tests came back negative. Guess I'm just uber-paranoid. But then, I've never had any scares, so I guess it kept my peace of mind, you know?

Sure, I want my children protected, but honestly, I draw the line at circumcision. That's just my personal stopping point.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
Sure, I want my children protected, but honestly, I draw the line at circumcision. That's just my personal stopping point.

I dont disaprove of your decision btw. While I have strong opinions on a lot of subjects, and freely discuss them, I'm a huge supporter of the right to choice, whatever that may be. Even if it's not the same choice I would make
smiles.gif

And just a little off topic lol, but you dont find uncircumcised penis's gross
rofl.gif
They creep me out lol, so that also probably factors into my decision making process LOL! I dont think I could date a uncircumcised man, it's just a total turn off to me. YMMV.

rofl.gif

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
Yeah, I know the article was about female circumcision, but I was actually looking something else up. I was curious as to what claims are made pertaining to female circumcisions and STDs. Just a random tangent, really. I just happened to come across the blurb on male circumcision and found it interesting.

I'm not sure there are any with regards to female circumcision. Especially since often times more than just the clitoral hood (what would have been the forskin) is removed during the procedure.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
I'm not sure there are any with regards to female circumcision. Especially since often times more than just the clitoral hood (what would have been the forskin) is removed during the procedure.

There are actually. Apparently it INCREASES the likelihood of contracting many STDs. Probably has more to do with the methods used and the (pardon the pun) hack job usually done to the poor girl.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
And just a little off topic lol, but you dont find uncircumcised penis's gross
rofl.gif
They creep me out lol, so that also probably factors into my decision making process LOL! I dont think I could date a uncircumcised man, it's just a total turn off to me. YMMV.

rofl.gif

Actually, it was the first penis I ever saw so I didn't really realize it was "wrong" LOL. And I have to say that he was probably the most sensitive man I've ever been with.

~LadyLocks~

Way late but I wanted to comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macluver
But as long as the kids are safe (and not *overly* spoiled or bratty), it's okay that people choose to raise their kids in whatever way they see fit.

Exactly!! I have a 18th month old daughter and she's been sleeping in my bed since she was about 3 months old. She started off in a bassinet but then I found it easier for her to sleep in our bed since I was breastfeeding. Whenever she woke up all I had to do was turn to my side and that was it! Mind you I am a very light sleeper and even when I was in a deep sleep I sub-consciously knew she was there! We finally got her a crib around age 9 or 10 months and she would not stay put. She was so used to sleeping with us that she would wake up like she was a new born so we gave up and just kept her with us. My b/f and I both work so that was the only way to get a good nights rest.

I know it wasn't the right thing to do but we can't turn back time. And I also know that once we do try and put her in her own bed she's really gonna have a hard time with it. Were planning on moving in about 3 months so were gonna start trying then. I'm really not trying to have her still sleeping in our bed at age 5...UGH! I can imagine how that would be since she's already a crazy sleeper. Also having her in our bed has really put a damper on our sex life so I don't recommend it if you love having sex...lol. To me it really doesn't matter weather I have sex or not, it's just not something I need but I know my b/f does LOL, what guy doesn't right? Ever since I've had my daughter things have changed dramatically for us romantically but that's a whole nother issue.

Either way, my daughter is a VERY good child to the point where people are amazed on how good she is compared to friends that have children that sleep in their own beds. She's very independent, easy going, fun loving, and plays well with other children so I really can't ask for anything more.

Having children is a learning experience so with my next child, I might do things differently and I might not. As someone mentioned already...everyone has their own parenting styles and I think I've been doing just fine they way things are right now!

Latest posts