Paris Hilton on Larry king show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
when i think about it, it was problably her lawyer and her publicist that advised her to say no about drug use.

I agree with u here. And from several posts in this thread by various people you can see why he probably advised that. It would have been worse if she had said yes.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
I agree with u here. And from several posts in this thread by various people you can see why he probably advised that. It would have been worse if she had said yes.

exactly, you can't reinvent yourself by admitting things that put you in a bad light!

Raerae

Quote:
Well she's already proved it has interfered with her social life. I'm pretty sure this girl has a serious addiction problem. It's actually quite obvious.

Eh... If she did, it would have been more obvious in jail.

Raerae

Quote:
According to the law, there really isn't a difference between social drinking and being an alcoholic when you get caught driving drunk. They believe one drink is too many, even though i don't agree with that.

What did her post have to do with drinking and driving?

pumpkincat210

Quote:
What did her post have to do with drinking and driving?

well the whole post is about the consequences of driving drunk and the interview the girl got from it. I got an M.I.P.(minor in possession of alcohol) when i was 20. I wasn't driving, i was at a party. Part of getting it wiped from my record i had to attend an alcohol awareness class. Basically they said if you consumed more than 2 beers once a week you were an alcoholic. Now I personally do not agree with this, but this is what the class taught. and there was no difference in social drinking, binge drinking and drinking alone. Its the amount you consume.
so yeah probably everyone here is an alcoholic according to these standards.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Eh... If she did, it would have been more obvious in jail.

she was probably going through withdrawals, that's why she got out early for a half a day. she got the royal treatment when it comes to prisoners. She at least got to go to the clinic to get medicated up so she could deal with it. Most do not get that and are left in their cells to tough it out.

Beauty Mark

I've never been to an alcohol awareness class, so I'm not sure if someone was just projecting his/her beliefs upon you or what.

When I think of the term alcoholic/think of alcoholism, I don't think of legal ramifications. I think of the psychological term. I personally can't tell if Paris Hilton has an alcohol issue. I haven't been frequenting gossip pages much lately, but I can't recall pics of her being carried out of a club, looking like she's passing out, the way I can with Lindsay Lohan.

I'm not condoning the behavior, but I think she's just a party girl. I believe she uses illegal drugs, she drinks, and she probably behaves the way she does sometimes because of that, but I don't think she's an addict

Tash

Your thoughts of an alcoholic are just amazingly off.

Quote:
The frequency and amount you drink is an important part of the self-assessment process. Tolerance, an essential feature of heavy alcohol use, is defined by the need for more and more alcohol to elicit the same effect, and it is directly related to the frequency of drinking and the amount of alcohol consumed.

Quote:
you're an alcoholic when you feel your life has become unmanageable due to drinking and you want to stop but you don't feel you can on your own. What anybody else thinks about your drinking doesn't really matter: what YOU think about it does.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I've never been to an alcohol awareness class, so I'm not sure if someone was just projecting his/her beliefs upon you or what.

When I think of the term alcoholic/think of alcoholism, I don't think of legal ramifications. I think of the psychological term. I personally can't tell if Paris Hilton has an alcohol issue. I haven't been frequenting gossip pages much lately, but I can't recall pics of her being carried out of a club, looking like she's passing out, the way I can with Lindsay Lohan.

I'm not condoning the behavior, but I think she's just a party girl. I believe she uses illegal drugs, she drinks, and she probably behaves the way she does sometimes because of that, but I don't think she's an addict

I dunno. With all the party pictures of her drinking and smoking pot so much makes me view her as an addict. but that's just my personal opinion. I hope she cleans up her act because I do think somewhere down deep she's a normal nice person caught up with a bunch of people that don't care. she does have pretty outfits from time to time, haha.
No, not as bad as lindsay lohan. don't get me started there.
Maybe jail/rehab have helped these girls out.

Tash

I have tons of pictures of me at parties too and I'm not followed around my paparazzi 24/7 either. It's going to happen, but it doesn't make her an alcoholic by any mean of the word.

Alcoholism is a VERY serious illness. If she was an alcoholic, they would have thrown her in detox the minute she set foot in jail for at least 3 days because she would have been cold, shaking, and convulsing uncontrollably. I've seen it happen before, it's not pretty.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
What anybody else thinks about your drinking doesn't really matter: what YOU think about it does.

I just have a slight problem with that, because I think you can be an alcoholic and think it's perfectly acceptable behavior.

Tash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I just have a slight problem with that, because I think you can be an alcoholic and think it's perfectly acceptable behavior.

That's the point. It doesn't matter if other people think you have a problem, in the end, all the alcoholic cares about is what THEY think. Up until they realize that they have a problem, to themselves one doesn't exist.

Tash

Quote:
who are quoting here?

Various AA sites that I've come across.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tash
That's the point. It doesn't matter if other people think you have a problem, in the end, all the alcoholic cares about is what THEY think. Up until they realize that they have a problem, to themselves one doesn't exist.

I think yours is a better phrasing, because otherwise, it sounds like just because you don't believe it, it means it doesn't exist, which has always been a dumb argument to me (like if I stop believing I'm awake, that makes it true).

I totally believe you can't help those who don't want to be helped.

kimmy

Quote:
How early? Considering she spent more time in jail than like 80% of offenders who were convicted of driving w/out a suspended liscense what "special celebrity treatment" other than getting more jail time did she get?

i don't know how familiar you are with the judicial system...but regular people don't get a few day break from jail because they're feeling depressed about getting arrested. i'd call that special treatment.

Quote:
The attorney Rocky Hildago or whatever, his own wife wrecked a state owned vehicle while driving without a liscense at all, and all she paid was a $140.00 fine. Today! Justice has been served! :roll:

she also got special treatment, but just because she also got special treatment, that doesn't make it right to give special treatment to other celebrities, imo.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
i don't know how familiar you are with the judicial system...but regular people don't get a few day break from jail because they're feeling depressed about getting arrested. i'd call that special treatment.

That argument doesn't hold water considering the fact that the vast majority of people celebrity or not, do NOT spend 23 days in jail for driving on a suspended liscense. They spend 3-4 days (if that, since non violent female offenders who are convicted of trivial crimes rarely even go to jail.) and are sent home, and put on probation.

So didn't get special treatment, she got regular treatment. Up until her celebrity drew a crazy amount of attention to her early release , and the ignorance of the general population on typical jail time caused a bunch of drama.

Shimmer

Quote:
That argument doesn't hold water considering the fact that the vast majority of people celebrity or not, do NOT spend 23 days in jail for driving on a suspended liscense.

Please substantiate this with statistics outside of the Los Angeles area, preferably nationwide, taking in rural areas as well as metropolitan.

lipstickandhate

Quote:
That argument doesn't hold water considering the fact that the vast majority of people celebrity or not, do NOT spend 23 days in jail for driving on a suspended liscense. They spend 3-4 days (if that, since non violent female offenders who are convicted of trivial crimes rarely even go to jail.) and are sent home, and put on probation.

So didn't get special treatment, she got regular treatment. Up until her celebrity drew a crazy amount of attention to her early release , and the ignorance of the general population on typical jail time caused a bunch of drama.

In NY you wouldnt go to jail at all. Hahaha. Great. But seriously, I said this before, she pissed off both the prosecutor and the judge. She mocked the criminal justice system and so did her parents. That's why she got sent to jail for so long. The judge was within his legal right to do that and the prosecutor was within his rights not to reduce the charge. Paris should have kept her fat mouth shut and Kathy shouldn't have acted like a princess. Had they respected the prosecutor and the judge, this wouldn't have happened.

Personally, if a defendant is especially arrogant and refuses to take responsibility, I have refused to reduce the charge or negotiate/accept a plea. Even for something stupid. Just shut up and act like an adult. You're in court, act like it.

Tash

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstickandhate
In NY you wouldnt go to jail at all. Hahaha. Great. But seriously, I said this before, she pissed off both the prosecutor and the judge. She mocked the criminal justice system and so did her parents. That's why she got sent to jail for so long. The judge was within his legal right to do that and the prosecutor was within his rights not to reduce the charge. Paris should have kept her fat mouth shut and Kathy shouldn't have acted like a princess. Had they respected the prosecutor and the judge, this wouldn't have happened.

Personally, if a defendant is especially arrogant and refuses to take responsibility, I have refused to reduce the charge or negotiate/accept a plea. Even for something stupid. Just shut up and act like an adult. You're in court, act like it.

The one time I got into trouble, the DA had to give me a plea. It was hilarious and now they hate me forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.