Paula Begoun

miss_emc

I bought her book 'Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me' about 2 years ago, and at first I loved it but it seems as i've been learning more and more about the industry through work, I've come to realise that her reviews are SO BIASED in this book. It's frustrating because she is so into this matte look, she gives negative reviews on anything that has a bit of shimmer in it! It's people like this that annoy me, because they say they shouldn't be writing books like this if they are going to write biased reviews. I also found she tries to really sell her own line throughout the book, and she gives the thumbs up to a lot of cosmetic ingredients which I have researched and learnt aren't all that great at all.

Anyone got any thoughts on Paula and her books?

pixichik77

Agreed. When I began working for Bobbi Brown, I checked her book, and she made a comment that Bobbi's colors are good but "some eye shadow colors are impractical, such as Navy". Of course it is, it's an eyeliner! It's like she does her research from a computer (she says she doesn't.

However, if you work at a counter, or as freelance, I suggest subscribing to her email newsletter so you are in touch with her insane ramblings...

Dreamergirl3

The thing that bugs me about Paula Begoun is that she's not really a cosmetic scientist, but her books and reviews make it seem that way. That said, I find SOME of her reviews helpful.

VeronikaJ

I haven't done that much reading on any of Paula's books. However, to add to this general topic...I have two of Bobbi Brown's books and she is similar in her overall craziness. She is all about the natural look (all the time),despises anything with the last bit of an edge, and swears that all women should use a yellow based foundation! I just dislike so much when people publish books saying "you can only wear/do/get away with this". I agree that some people should focus on certain features and as we age that we might want to lay low on anything with shimmer but to speak about makeup as if there is only one proper way to do something is aggravating. Everyone is different, and everyone embraces or hides certain things about themselves. So, Bobbi... please realize that you are not the only makeup authority in the world.

jenii

I used to think she was really smart, but yeah, after gaining more experience with makeup and such, I'm finding she's mostly just a know-it-all who has this set of "rules" for makeup in her mind that no cosmetics line must EVER deviate from.

And yeah, she is way the hell too into the matte look, which come on... All matte all the time is just boring. Might as well not wear makeup.

I found her stuff on blackheads useful, but lately I'm wondering if she was just talking out her ass again.. Do ingredients in moisturizer like cholesterol or triglycerides really cause blackheads? My esthetician says "babe, if you're gonna get 'em, you're gonna get 'em." I'm inclined to believe her, since dealing with blackheads is her job.

aziza

The whole matte vs. shimmery was my gripe with her also. It's so biased and not accurate. I eventually stopped referencing her book when I found MUA, MUT, and Specktra. The makeup fanatics on these sites are the real makeup authorities.

Dreamergirl3

if anyone wanted to know where they could find real info about products from real cosmetic chemists, check out thebeautybrains.com
they are awesome!

hope its ok to post the link
smiles.gif

I have 2 of her books. I didnt realize that she had her own cosmetic line when I bought them. When I found that out I took her advice with a grain of salt. I dont believe that you can judge other lines when your trying to sell your own stuff.

macslut

Agreed. I have always had a problem with her. The matte look is awful on me. I need a little shimmer on my eyes. Brown eyeshadow is bad too for me.

She has always been bad but when she developed her own line, she went way down hill. At this point if she gives something a bad review, I will go take a look because it probably is a good product but just doesn't fit in her dogmatic (and outdated) criteria.

nora_k

agreed. agreed. agreed. she really is a joke. you really cant take her seriously talking down products while at the same time hawking her own. she's a fake. i think people should just ignore her, she's basically selling a book of her opinions. i could just ask my friends their opinions and try, sell my own book, and sell my own makeup line on top of it. WHO IS SHE KIDDING?

coachkitten

Her company is based in Renton, WA and I had an interview to work there a few years ago. They let me test some of her products and they are not the best quality.
I don't really care for her books or her style of makeup.
There are a lot of people who really like to listen to her though. I would rather hear opinions and reviews from people who like the similar brands and colors as me. That is why I love specktra!!!
smiles.gif

jenii

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachkitten
I don't really care for her books or her style of makeup.

Me, neither. For someone who is apparently an authority on good, "tasteful" makeup, she sure looks overdone most of the time.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenii
Do ingredients in moisturizer like cholesterol or triglycerides really cause blackheads? My esthetician says "babe, if you're gonna get 'em, you're gonna get 'em." I'm inclined to believe her, since dealing with blackheads is her job.

Nope, you don't get blackheads from moisturiser ingredients (or make-up, or anything else that's applied to your skin). Blackheads are dead skin cells and oxidised sebum, nothing more. If you're prone to getting them, then there's nothing you can do except use appropriate preventative and removal treatments.

Plain old blocked pores, however, then yeah, they can be caused by fatty ingredients in moisturisers, binding and humectant agents in cosmetics, etc etc etc. The ingredients/agents prevent dead skin from sloughing off cleanly and cause little barriers to develop over pores and trap sebum. Voila, a pimple. Nothing that can't be counteracted by using an AHA-based cleanser that removes make-up.
smiles.gif

elektra513

I wanted to bump this thread to ask about cleansers...

I just bought her 7th edition (dang she's biased as heck!) and she says that cleansers that contain acne-fighting ingredients (like salicylic acid/benzoyl peroxide) are pointless because the ingredient will get washed away before it will affect the skin...

Is this true? Are there any studies that prove or disprove this?
th_confused_new.gif

SparklingWaves

I did try going by her book at one time. Some of it was true and some of it was not. I didn't like all the products she raved about all the time. I even gave her foundation a try. It was the WORST foundation that I have ever used. Of course, all her products have smilies by them.

She is also against mostly blue and green e/s. She likes grey, taupe, browns, champagne, nude, and plum e/s. You get the picture. I got freaking board as a rock with that matte looking e/s colors day in and day out.

She doesn't really care for lip gloss or highlighters for the face either. She will force a smile on those products sometimes. I think she produced some lip gloss in her line due she saw a potential for $$$. Again, she really likes that dated all matte look.

She is an avid fan and user of Botox. Some companies have called her a hypocrite,because she will put down certain products for having a small percentage of something like alcohol. However, she is alright with a product that can cause paralysis of muscles in the face.

Kuuipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektra513
I wanted to bump this thread to ask about cleansers...

I just bought her 7th edition (dang she's biased as heck!) and she says that cleansers that contain acne-fighting ingredients (like salicylic acid/benzoyl peroxide) are pointless because the ingredient will get washed away before it will affect the skin...

Is this true? Are there any studies that prove or disprove this?
th_confused_new.gif

This is generally true because cleanser is not in contact with the skin long enough (like its on 30 seconds?) nor does it leave enough residue. Its better to apply salcylic acids or benzyoyl peroxide creams. Both of these enter the pores-glycolic acids and lactic acids do not.

She has some factual information and alot of opinion.

anaibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziza
The whole matte vs. shimmery was my gripe with her also. It's so biased and not accurate. I eventually stopped referencing her book when I found MUA, MUT, and Specktra. The makeup fanatics on these sites are the real makeup authorities.

Sorry...Stupid question of the day: what's MUT?
Thanks!

SparklingWaves

Me and my after thoughts.

I still think her books are worth a look, but sometimes there will be great products that she will put a down smile face. For example, I can guarantee the new LE Chanel product powder I got would get that down smile face. It was expensive, but I have been using the heck out of it for all sorts of things. So, she would put $$$ by her review.

Last night, I put on too freaking much dark purple pigment on my eyes. Whoa. Talk about looking severe. My power was to the rescue. I blended my makeup really well and took a M.A.C. brush loaded with that powder and Bravo. It was just the right tone. I didn't have to take off all the makeup and start from scratch. I use it for other stuff too. But, that reviewer wouldn't judge the product as being versatile.

In regard to another product, I just purchased a Fafi glazed lipstick. I really liked the color, so I put a matte lipstick under it and sometimes put a Dior lip gloss over it. Wow! It's electric. Others would never do all that, but I love to play. I love to create. So, I don't dismiss products so quickly.
smiles.gif

She is judging things as produced solely for that purpose they are created. I don't look at makeup in always one dimension, but I am not writing books. I am not making money either.
ssad.gif
She has made books on hair products too.

I still don't think she should rate her own products though with all smile faces. That's a little biased. LOL

newagetomatoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenii
I used to think she was really smart, but yeah, after gaining more experience with makeup and such, I'm finding she's mostly just a know-it-all who has this set of "rules" for makeup in her mind that no cosmetics line must EVER deviate from....

I could not agree more. I picked up a few of her books from the library and she basically declares any application of makeup that is not her way wrong. I remember reading how she says you should never wear blue eyeshadow and how someone wrote a reply saying that it all depends on the shade an application (another edition or book). To this, Begoun stated that it doesn't matter and you should never wear blue shadow and like colors, no matter shade or application.
angry.gif

I couldn't ever spent twenty minute reading her books without getting POed at her. Thank god I didn't buy them, because that is one less trip I would of had to take to return them!

Latest posts