Paula Begoun

lovepretty

I totally agree that she is very bias towards her own products. Apart from her books, she gives all positive reviews on her very own product line and trashed other brands like nobody's business. She is indeed a hypocrite and I tried many of her products. They don't work and gave me hell lots of breakouts.

vala

Paula really loves matte. I prefer MAC's veluxe pearls. I followed a few of her rules a long time ago, but gave up. I love trying different products. Not everything about what she writes about is bad though. She was one of the first to tell us which active ingredients (avobenzone, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide) in sunscreen we should look for. 10 years ago, many companies didn't include those and up to a few years ago, now they do. They only thing I buy from here is the BHA products. It helps me with my acne issues.

SkinFitnessPro

I have to agree with you ladies, skincare is so much easier than what she represents and I cant wait to share it with all of you! Toni K Dir. Skin Fitness Pro WA.

Erica53094

Anyone got any thoughts on Paula and her books?[/quote] Working in the "industry" you are biased too fyi. She worked in the industry too and of course she has biases. We all do! She states openly what they are. Also how she judges products and why so yeah if that is not a concern for you then don't take her advice. She comes from one angle. Do you expect one person to have EVERY angle? No that would be exhaustive. Just like I like Bobbi Brown's makeup tips. I like emphasizing natural beauty. However her skicare advice is downright laughable. I rolled my eyes reading how stupid her writings were on that subject. Also I think a lot of her products are nasty and not at all worth the price. I bought a lipstick from her that is some serious sick sh#t. Sorry. Do I dismiss her advice completely? Of course not. Paula ALSO supports her statements w facts and supported research. I have never tried her products and um duh she is going to give top marks for her products. Would you buy her stuff if she herself gave it 2 out of 4 stars? She is not a hypocrite but she has an angle and she is a business woman. Every business person does but why people get so wounded bc the product they wanted to buy didn't get rave reviews is beyond me. Read why she didn't like it and determine if that is something you want to live w. Advice is always something to take or not. All I know is after reading Paula's books I turned my skin around and wish I knew that info when I was 13. I wouldn't have struggled w ineffective products for so long. Again I have not bought a PB product but her info has been life changing imo!

Erica53094

The thing that bugs me about Paula Begoun is that she's not really a cosmetic scientist, but her books and reviews make it seem that way. That said, I find SOME of her reviews helpful.
No but she looks at research and compares US standards v Europe and Asia. Ralph Nader didn't make cars but that doesn't mean he as a consumer advocate didn't help better inform people about the cars they were purchasing. Js.

Erica53094

One more thing...she never "trashes" a product or a brand. It is very ignorant to make that statement. She reviews product w a set of standards similar to temptalia. She gives the pros and cons of every product/brand. She actually says every brand every price has its good and bad products which is true. People seem to have an axe to grind w her bc of their own biases working behind makeup counters lol.

Erica53094

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenii
Do ingredients in moisturizer like cholesterol or triglycerides really cause blackheads? My esthetician says "babe, if you're gonna get 'em, you're gonna get 'em." I'm inclined to believe her, since dealing with blackheads is her job.
Nope, you don't get blackheads from moisturiser ingredients (or make-up, or anything else that's applied to your skin). Blackheads are dead skin cells and oxidised sebum, nothing more. If you're prone to getting them, then there's nothing you can do except use appropriate preventative and removal treatments. Plain old blocked pores, however, then yeah, they can be caused by fatty ingredients in moisturisers, binding and humectant agents in cosmetics, etc etc etc. The ingredients/agents prevent dead skin from sloughing off cleanly and cause little barriers to develop over pores and trap sebum. Voila, a pimple. Nothing that can't be counteracted by using an AHA-based cleanser that removes make-up.
smiles.gif
Bc an esthetician has no biases? They don't want you to continue their services? The you're going to get them if you're going to get them is utter BS. All I know is I stop using lotion based moisturizers and guess what no more blackheads. Yes they are dead skin cells but that doesn't mean ingredients in some moisturizers cannot contribute to acne, blackheads. An esthetician that would take such a stance is a con artist!!

MaryJane

I read Paula's Choice occasionally. I find some if the info she presents to be well researched but my biggest problem with the site is conflict of interest. She's marketing her own products while reviewing others. I wonder if her products would hold up to the high standards she uses when evaluating other product lines. Someone commented on here that 'duh, of course she would give her products high marks'. LOL. Doesn't that make you question the integrity of everything that is reviewed on her site? I would if she is blatantly giving herself high marks.

Erica53094

I read Paula's Choice occasionally. I find some if the info she presents to be well researched but my biggest problem with the site is conflict of interest. She's marketing her own products while reviewing others. I wonder if her products would hold up to the high standards she uses when evaluating other product lines. Someone commented on here that 'duh, of course she would give her products high marks'. LOL. Doesn't that make you question the integrity of everything that is reviewed on her site? I would if she is blatantly giving herself high marks.
But if you are selling products would you put up a review of your products w 1 star? No. I am not saying it is unbiased but no different than Temptalia being sent products from brands to be reviewed. You favor those that send you stuff. Just saying people seem to have an ax to grind bc their fav brand has been criticized. Btw you don't think mua who work for certain brands are biased about the comp. they work for? Yes a conflict of interest but everyone has their biases. Paula has just found a niche. Again I have not tried her products, I don't care about revs of her products but to dismiss her before really looking at where she is coming from is petty and childish. She btw is not the only rev I consider and I don't always agree either or rather I decide that is not a concern for me. I just think she looks fairly at the brands she revs(her products aside) and at least sets up criteria she judges them by no different than any reviewer and supports her rev w research. Anyway people take things so seriously. Take a rev or not but at least be fair about your judgement. Paula looks if beauty co. claims are true. She likes mattes. No blue e/s. Cares about spf, problem skin etc. If those are,not your concerns her revs are probably not for you:)