Pictures that changed the world? *warning* some pictures can be shocking

Sound Of Vision

The other day I stumbled on this blog, with these photos. Some of them left me speechless and so numb. How can humans do those things to each other? How brave some people were, to do something no one else did? What else is our humanity hiding?

And once again, it shows that photography is still one of the strongest and most influential mediums that records past for the future.

Shimmer

How can humanity do this to one another?
It's easy. Humanity is not the kind loving race we like to think it is.

Sound Of Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
How can humanity do this to one another?
It's easy. Humanity is not the kind loving race we like to think it is.

I know, but mostof the people still have enough humanity in them to be shocked by these photos. At least I am. When no one is shocked by them, then it's problem.

On the other hand, humans can give you love like no one else can do.

We're fucked up race.
th_dunno.gif

Shimmer

Maybe I lost mine somewhere, because I'm not really shocked by them. More...blank. Seeing the worst of people documented only cements in my mind how far we have to go.

Sound Of Vision

It's no wonder - we see so many horrific things on TV and in the news papers every day, that we became completely numb and apathetic.

Shimmer

Oh I'm not apathetic, but I'm not one to give into knee jerk emotional response. I'm not one to look at something and say "oh wow how sad was that!", I'm one to look at something and want to change the reaction to the situation next time, or to prevent it completely, such as the images of the soldiers in the 91 Gulf War, or the lynchings.
I don't want to dwell, I want to learn.

Sound Of Vision

This kind of stuff invoked rage in me, but since I'm sensitive to others' pain, it makes me sad. Well I didn't drop down to the floor, curled in fetus position and started to cry - unfortunately, I've seen too much of it already.
But when things are far from you (like Africa or Middle East) people treat them that way - they are far from them, so people behave like it's not their business.

I wish I could change things, affect them somehow...

Stupid politics and human nature...
angry.gif

Shimmer

You can, by showing compassion and empathy in your day to day interaction with the people around you.
Think globally, act locally.
smiles.gif

Trunkmonkey

It gave me a lot of different feelings, rage, sadness, among them, but it also gave me hope. There are a lot of good people out there like soldiers, firemen, policemen, etc, that really do care about doing their job the right way. The problem is that there are an equal number of bad people out there that don't care who they hurt so long as they get what they want.

Sound Of Vision

Yes, that fireman got stuck in my head. He took off his gloves so he can gently carry the baby...but I wish I didn't read the rest of the sentence...
ssad.gif

athena123

I think there are far more good people than bad and that bad people are the exception to the rule. We can change the world around us for the better, even if it's only by showing the light to one single person with a smile, a kind word, or giving a 5 dollar bill to someone who needs it.

It's true that we can think globally and act locally. Live it!

blazeno.8

I don't get a knee jerk reaction either, but by no means does that show I am "desensitized" in the sense of apathy. On the contrary, I am not apathetic about these things and I try to work with people in my community to help them in one way or another. They are not as bad off as these people, but help when and where you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
You can, by showing compassion and empathy in your day to day interaction with the people around you.
Think globally, act locally.
smiles.gif

These pictures do show hate and cruelty that we are capable of, but the photographers, the fact they were published like this, and our reactions show the love and compassion that we are capable of.
Also, it is just as important to recognize the bad as it is to recognize the good. While many of these pictures are quite heavy, some are lighter and more jovial.

SparklingWaves

A long time ago, I watched a documentary about man. At the end, it stated, "There is a flaw in man." Whatever you want to call it, it will be there as long as the human race exists.