Pictures that changed the world? *warning* some pictures can be shocking

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel
what are the pictures?
I don't want to look...

They aren't like, gruesome. Pictures of tragedy, death, sadness.
ssad.gif

Sound Of Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel
what are the pictures?
I don't want to look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
They aren't like, gruesome. Pictures of tragedy, death, sadness.
ssad.gif

But also, some of them are funny and show us different point of view. I think everybody should see those pictures. We shouldn't turn our heads away from it...

SparklingWaves

I am glad they exist, because they remind us that it can happen again and what is possible. For me personally, I shut down. It's hard to accept them. Imagine being there. Imagine, it's you. Imagine, it's your family member. That changes everything.

Dizzy

I remember seeing a few of these in a leadership class my senior year of high school, right before we all graduated. It really put life in perspective for me.

Sound Of Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
none of the photos showed up for me.
ssad.gif

Hmmm, I know there have been some weird stuff going on with internet...google and yahoo were down...so maybe this website's server is down? I hope it'll come back later, it's certainly worth looking at.

Babylard

This post is actually very relevant to what I have been thinking about today. I just watched I Am Legend and Rambo which were both good movies. My roomate was very disturbed by Rambo. He had no idea what war could be like. I was unable to view the photos, but I am not surprised by how ugly humanity can be. I also noticed that a lot of the photos are Vietnamese-related. I never really had a true understanding of why my parents left Vietnam, but I am glad they did.

"Haunted by the horrific images from Sudan, Carter committed suicide in 1994 soon after receiving the award."
This stood out the most for me.

ritchieramone

Some of these photos appear in Century, a fascinating book. The copy I have came out in 1999, so it's unfortunately a little dated as there have been many newsworthy - in both good and bad ways - events since, but it's still worth a look.

redambition

they are all in their way amazing pictures that show some part of humanity... whether we like the part that is shown is another story.

the one that wrenches my heart the most is the picture of the girl with the vulture in the background... only because i know the full story behind it. it's sadder than the photo.

kimmy

the images are working for me now...and wow.

it will never cease to amaze me how much a picture can tell, and how much of an effect it can have on a person.

flowerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
they are all in their way amazing pictures that show some part of humanity... whether we like the part that is shown is another story.

the one that wrenches my heart the most is the picture of the girl with the vulture in the background... only because i know the full story behind it. it's sadder than the photo.

yup, kevin carter. poor guy :-(

MAC_Pixie04

While a lot of those made me feel really sad, some of them have interesting stories behind them. For example, I've never seem the picture of the workers sleeping on the crossbeam. Everyone's seen the picture of them eating, but not the resting photo. Also, the infamous WWII Homecoming Kiss picture. Everybody always describes that picture as two lovers who hadn't seen each other having the first kiss in months or maybe even a year, when in reality that horny soldier was walking around times square kissing every woman he saw, and right after that pic was taken, that nurse slapped the shit out of him lol.

I get pissed when I see the prolifers taking that Beginning of Life photo and altering it for propaganda, when it was really supposed to have a scientific purpose. But don't get me started on that topic.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
While a lot of those made me feel really sad, some of them have interesting stories behind them. For example, I've never seem the picture of the workers sleeping on the crossbeam. Everyone's seen the picture of them eating, but not the resting photo. Also, the infamous WWII Homecoming Kiss picture. Everybody always describes that picture as two lovers who hadn't seen each other having the first kiss in months or maybe even a year, when in reality that horny soldier was walking around times square kissing every woman he saw, and right after that pic was taken, that nurse slapped the shit out of him lol.

I get pissed when I see the prolifers taking that Beginning of Life photo and altering it for propaganda, when it was really supposed to have a scientific purpose. But don't get me started on that topic.

I think that part of the story may be inaccurate. I have never once heard that in all the times I've seen articles about that particular picture.

The pictures are amazing.

Sound Of Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
the images are working for me now...and wow.

it will never cease to amaze me how much a picture can tell, and how much of an effect it can have on a person.

It's really nice that you came back to see them...
yes.gif
Photography can has stronger impact than a video. Although, videos can probably provide greater picture and tell us more (the truth maybe), and photography can delude us because it shows only one moment that can be interpreted in a wrong way, that's the power of the photography - it catches one tiny moment which tells it's own story, you can see the face in that precise moment, the emotion on it, the thoughts that cross people's mind...something that can't be seen in motion, something we wouldn't notice at all. Different aspects, faces, of human personality.