Plastic surgery as a graduation gift?

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I was made fun of from elementary school through middle school for being Asian and short; my brother for being Asian and fat. It sucked but I got through it; asshole kids in public sometimes even make asshole comments towards me. If I had the ability to go back in time and change my eyes, get my height adjusted, etc., I would not. It would be a quick fix for a problem I'm glad that I learned to deal with: people are awful and you need to learn how to handle that. I had friends in school who were made fun of constantly for being Hindus, but I would never suggest they'd change religion.

If you want to change yourself through cosmetic surgery for yourself, good for you. However, I really don't think it's a good idea for children.

Of course, it doesn't go away. Childhood pains of all kind haunt people. I just don't agree with the idea of changing yourself for other people. I think it's a terrible lesson. If you want to be completely plastic because that's what you want, good for you. If you're doing it to gain approval of others, I think it's a serious issue. Where will you stop?

Therein is the crux of the problem.

Cosmetic surgery for legitimate reasons vs cosmetic surgery for frivolous reasons...it's all subjective.

Beauty Mark

Fair enough, but if I'm in the right mindset, I can legitimize anything.

To me, getting cosmetic surgery for other people's approval is terribly sad. Doing anything to get someone else's approval (from drugs to uptaking a hobby) is terribly sad.

Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Fair enough, but if I'm in the right mindset, I can legitimize anything.

To me, getting cosmetic surgery for other people's approval is terribly sad. Doing anything to get someone else's approval (from drugs to uptaking a hobby) is terribly sad.

I agree with you on that. Also, I never meant to imply that children getting plastic surgery just to gain approval from others was okay.
That being said, I don't think children should get any type of cosmetic surgery. At their age they wouldn't know how permanent the changes are and I dont think they would be completely ready for it. If by the time they grow into adults and they would still like to go through with the surgery, then that's their choice. When I asked my mom for an otoplasty at age 13, she took one look at me and instantly said no. At the time I was upset, but now I see why she didnt let me do it and Im grateful that she was intelligent enough not to let me go under the knife at such an early age.

lipstickandhate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Not everyone who gets elective surgery is a basketcase.

Not everyone who wants to do it is for fetishist, ideas about beauty, or boredom.

It's psychologically ingrained in the human brain to seek out symmetry and proportion. Aside from that, i like the way breasts fit and look under a top when proportional to the body they belong to.

There's nothing wrong with that, and to intimate or insinuate that there is is just plain...wrong, to be honest.

Agreed that having it done in a proper environment is important, however, in my case, I'm picky enough and experienced in the medical profession enough that I know what I want, what to look for, and how to get it done in the safest and most beneficial manner.
smiles.gif

But please don't villify the women who choose surgery for good reasons. They don't deserve it.

Perhaps I should have been more clear: I meant MANY women have problems- not all. Sloppy language. I certainly didn't mean to imply you! You're entitled, as a grown woman with an education and many years of experience behind you, to make your own decisions about your body. I just feel for many people, it isn't an empowered informed decision but a real complex that would be best dealt with in another, non-surgical way. Sorry if I offended!

eulchen

ice had sticking out ears since birth. when i was in school i had other children make jokes bout me. that later changed to making jokes bout some other things because i wasnt a cool kid in general but thats not the point of discussion here
lol.gif
however when i was under 10 years old doctors asked my parents if my ears should be operated. they looked at me and i just said "no". i stuck to getting picked on because i didnt want to suffer an OP.

glam8babe

i dont see a problem with plastic surgery... as long as you dont end up like donatella versace!
i would love a breast augmentation [not till im about 20/21] my teeth whitened [not many people get this done in the UK] and probably when im 40+ botox because it looks good [not over done though!] i wouldnt get lipo because i can reshape my body by going to the gym and eating healthy and i wouldnt get a nose job or anything like that because my face is the way i look and i wouldnt wana change that

xsnowwhite

i dont have a problem with it, but i know i'd way rather get something like a car for graduation rather than fixing my nose or something!

xIxSkyDancerxIx

I personally don't agree with getting a boob job, but that doesn't mean I'm going to tell everyone around me not to do it and that it's wrong. Besides, even if I did, every person will do as he/she pleases. I believe that each person should feel good about him/herself regardless of how he/she looks, but I suppose I can only say that because I don't have a huge/glaring flaw (and if I do I don't see it lol). But I've seen a lot of kids I grew up with it, and it always made me a bit sad that we all have to go through school in a fairly hostile enviroment. But I think if you notice something really bad about yourself and it bothers you and depresses you, go ahead and change it. If it bothers you THAT MUCH.. then change it and start feeling better about yourself.

However I think it's wrong for a senior to be getting a boob job as a graduation present. I think a laptop would be much more appropriate as a graduation gift. She's still growing and changing, not to mention the way we think changes drastically from 18 to 21, what if she doesn't want it later? I know you can always get them removed, but why not wait a little bit longer until your thinking is a bit more mature? (no offense to anyone)

My friend had D's throughout high school and although she had a wonderful personality, very few of the guys who wanted to hook up with her wanted to for her personality. She would always be upset that they would "look down not up at me" but I never had this problem. Granted I didn't attract as much attention as she did, and I was slightly jealous, but now I feel a bit sorry for her (especially since she still has this problem).

I agree with the proportion thing though. I have no hips but I have a pretty big butt for an asian, but my boobs are A cups. And I don't mind that they're small but I notice that my body is not proportional and it tugs at my mind, but oh well. I'm too scared to do it haha.