PLEASE recommend a good laptop!

blueyedlady87

Hello all!

How are we doing on this lovely Friday?
I'm sure some of you here on Specktra use a laptop. I am starting college and I'm probably going to be able to get a laptop as my graduation/going to college gift. I have been searching the net for hours but nothing is really standing out. Suggestions?

I would need:
-Lots of memory
-Wireless capabilities
-Flash/Floppy drives
-Microsoft Word
-Able to print (wirelessly through net connection)
-etc. A good student-y computer. I have several online classes as well.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Dells are Decent, Stay away away awwwaayy from gateway though.
I haven't had much problem with my Hewlett Packard, I love it. Look for a laptop with a built in wireless card (most of them come that way these days)

Sony Vios are ok, My boyfriend has one and its newer than my laptop and his has a LOT of problems with the hardware , the network jack and the wireless card slots dont work,

MACs are nice but REALLY REALLY PRICEY and they go obsolete quickly. components are expensive for them as well .

you should go down to your local Best buy/frys/Office Depot type place thats near you and ask them what would best suit your needs. they can definitely point you in the right direction

Tash

Dell's are the worst option you can think of. They're POS and probably will fall apart. Gateway's are the same way. I've had a Sony Vaio for over a year and haven't had a problem with it AT all. I absolutely adore it, they're pretty expensive but if you can find it on sale, do it.

Dizzy

Are you living at school or at home? I don't know about if you're commuting, but if you're dorming I've found it's been easier to have a Mac. I've never had any of the problems that my roommates have had with their laptops (I know one had a Dell and I wanna say my other one had a HP, but I'm not sure). And I've still got my Mac 2 1/2 years later.

But before you buy one for school, find out what it would need to be able to run to connect to the student network on your campus. The campus website should be able to tell you what you need, or you can usually call whatever version of student assistance your school has to find out.

Shimmer

Here is one and here's another one.
smiles.gif

lipshock

Apples do not go obsolete very quickly, just to give you a heads up. I have a Mac (an iBook--the last release) and have friends who have earlier versions of the iBook and PowerBook and those laptops are still in tiptop shape as if they've just been bought. Yes, Apple has a tendency to constantly release newer laptops but all computer companies do that. I have never had a single problem with my iBook. And if something were to go wrong, I can take it into a local Apple store and get it serviced right then and there, and probably take it home that very day.

There are an abundant of websites that sell components for older versions of Apple laptops and they are not overly expensive as parts for a PC. The customer service is ubelievable as well. They are known for sending a customer a completely new laptop if there is something wrong with their current one and it is "unfixable" or due to a problem on their manufacturing.

My advice, visit your school's Tech site and see the requirements for computers and go around those. If you're worried on compatibility issues, I've noticed lately that there are more and more places that are beginning to support the Mac OSX system and many computer programs are becoming available for Macs as well. i.e, microsoft word, powerpoint, photoshop, programming software, etc.

blueyedlady87

Thankyou, thankyou for all the suggestions! Due to the online classes I cannot have a Mac book because they use Word and all that XP stuff. Although I would love one some day. I'm going to print some of those suggestions and take it to Best Buy or Office Depot. And I am living at home, so I would just need to be connected to our home server. Although we do travel alot, so it would be nice to be able to cennect in hotels and stuff. I'm such a ding-dong head about technology. lol! Thanks guys!

Dizzy

Mac's come with Microsoft Office- word, excel, powerpoint, etc. I've taken online classes on them before (depends on the program your school is using- WebCt and Blackboard have worked fine so far!) without a problem. Can't hurt to take a look, right?
smiles.gif

lipshock

Microsoft Office Software is available to Apple computer. As I said before, lots of programs are Mac compatible.

And I have taken many online classes and have never had any issues with being on my iBook. I've used WebCT and Blackboard. But I really don't know of any college and university campus that doesn't cater to students and faculty who use Apple computers.

MisStarrlight

I'd go with a Mac too...I've had 3 other laptops, all of which I've had to send in for repairs a ton-even within the first year & eventually within 2 years (sometimes less) have given up on all my PC laptops.

As other people have said, they do not go obsolete very quickly at all & Microsoft Office is available for them. In my opinion & experiences, it's worth the extra money, but whatever you decide to do, I would make sure to get the protection plan with any laptop.

If you do decide to go with MAC, I would suggest waiting a month until the new OS comes out (check macworld.com for the official release date).

redambition

another apple user here
smiles.gif
i have a 12" iBook G4 (the last iBook)... and it is SOLID.

in addition to that, fully specced up it was still way cheaper than any 12" windows laptop (Mac lappies get more expensive the bigger you go, windows ones are the other way around). although apple release lots of new models and SW, a mac will still be useful for quite a long time after purchase, just like any PC. i also use MS Office and Adobe SW on my Mac with no problems.

12" is also a great size for portability - if you want to take your lappie with you places, then go for smaller and lighter. your back and shoulders will thank you for it.

as for floppy drive - you may have some trouble finding a new laptop that has a floppy drive. they are being phased out. get a USB key instead - lots more storage space and it's not as easy to break.

Deirdre

I adore my MacBook, and MS Office for MAC is great, too. I have no problem porting between my PC workplace, Google Documents and my MAC.
I can't add any more, as people have said it all. MAC = Love.

kaliraksha

Mac's are nice- but the are not for everyone. Well they could be, but it depends on your needs. If you are not tech savvy and don't want to deal with fiddling with it I would definitely get a Mac. But usually, you can get the same power and processing for cheaper on a PC. However, the Mac interface is so user friendly.

For PC's surprisingly E-machines has really improved on their laptops... I've had a friend who has had his for 2 years and it's solid and impressive for the price. Dell's are ok, especially if you get any kind of educational discount. Sony's are beautiful and streamline but make sure you get a series that has been out for a while (AR, C-series). Gateway, Compaq & HP- I say no. Also stay away from any new brands right now. Toshiba's aren't bad- but IMO not worth the price.

ruby_soho

Definitely do not get an Acer. Pure crap. I'm planning on getting a Mac once my Acer bites the dust a 3rd time, so I say get a Mac!

Tubachick02

Get a MAC Powerbook, they do not go obsolete, they do stay cool, are resilient, and i have not found better customer sevice with ANY company computer or not. do not get an e-machine, dell, or off-brand. I went to the MAC Store to get min as I find the employees to be well informed and very helpful about finding the right machine for you.

pakman

Hi,
I have a Mac powerbook, a HP and a Gateway. Love the Mac and HP...the Gateway is...well still working. I would recommend the Mac or the HP.

Latest posts