PLEASE recommend a good laptop!

user79

Stay away from Hewlett Packard and Compaq too. I have a Dell, have had it for like 3 years and it's never failed on me. Great quality, imo.

blueyedlady87

Wow, so much to consider. Thankyou once again! I'm definetely going to check out the macs now. another question- has anyone ever bought an ipod off of ebay? you know the ones that start at .01 cent? are they just a hoax or are they fine. and if so, how on earth can people afford to sell them so cheap??!!
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

If I were to buy a new iPod, I would checkout the Apple refurb section on their website.

I'm going to buy a new computer myself soon. I'm a Mac user, and they are not quick about going obsolete. I just want a new computer for grad school. I will more than likely buy a refurb Macbook Pro; I do not want a glossy screen, which is all the Macbooks come in. Refurbs are just as good, if not better, than the ones you buy in a store, and they're much cheaper. BTW, you can now run both Windows and the Mac OS on Macs, but you have to purchase Windows. The Microsoft Office Suite and all sorts of other goodies are available for Mac OS, so that shouldn't be a worry unless you're doing highly technical science work, where that can be a problem. However, the computer guy in my college's physics department (he's one of those Linux nuts) switched to a Mac, so take that for what it's worth. Go to an Apple store and play with one before you buy it. Windows (haven't played with Vista yet) and Mac OS is becoming more and more similar. For normal, basic uses, it's very easy to go between the two. A handful of things are different, but- you won't go crazy from the differences.

If I were to get a PC, I never had a problem with a Dell. I've had friends who've had great luck with Toshiba. However, I would get a friend to build my computer for me or do it myself. You can actually build your own laptop or desktop from parts, and it's cheaper. You lack the warranty, of course, but it is an option. My friend had her brother do that, and it worked fine.

Tash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Stay away from Hewlett Packard and Compaq too. I have a Dell, have had it for like 3 years and it's never failed on me. Great quality, imo.

I've had more problems with Dells then I ever had with HP or Compaq (they're now the same company).

Also, when I worked at a computer repair company, we had more Dells come in than any other computers. We loved when people bought them because we knew they'd be in every couple of months getting fixed.

liv

I love my MacBook Pro!

As a sidenote, I would stay away from the white MacBook if you are bothered by aesthetics, because a couple of my friends have these, and they get so scratched and you can see every little one, too. I love the silver of the Pros.

bAbY_cHiCkEn01

MAC!!!! (can never have too much MAC's in your life LOL). Serously, my bf has had his for 3 years, still in PERFECT condition. They don't get "old" as such because of each new OS you can reinstall them to have the latest. No offense to anyone here but PC's are crap, they really are. If you get a newer MAC it has all the microsoft word and all those products with it, if not you can simply download them easily.
They are VERY simple to use, and you can't really screw the machine up, (compared to PC's, who, every 5 minutes, come up with some freakish pop up box screaming at you coz you've done something wrong...) There are wayyyyy more creative aspects to a MAC as well. They may be very pricy but trust me they are well worth the price. You honestly can't go wrong with a MAC.

Shimmer

Please don't turn this into a Mac vs PC debate. People will always have their own personal preferences, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just because one person LOVES PC over Mac, doesn't mean the next will, and vice versa.

lipshock

The bottom line:

If you want a machine that is extremely user friendly, 100% customizable (gotta love ShapeShifter), relatively free of the woes of worrying about viruses and system failures, comes with an excellent warranty (extended and standard), and comes from a company that prides itself on true customer service. Definitely try and shoot for a Mac. And seeing as you're a college student, I am sure you are qualified for the Higher Education discount for students. Knocks a couple of hundred of the total price, not bad.

Apple has a Refurbished section that sells laptops, computers, iPods, and other products at discounted prices. So if you are not totally willing to spend the cash on a Mac (which I believe is totally worth every penny), then you could check those out.

PCs and Macs all have their advantages and disadvantages. What it comes down to is what YOU are looking for in your new laptop. Not so much what other people look for and like. .blah blah.

Happy hunting! Do let us know what you decided.

ruby_soho

Alot of times my university bookstore has deals where you get a free Ipod with purchase of a Macbook. I'd look into what your school's bookstore has going on first before buying an Ipod seperately.

kaliraksha

Beauty Marked! I believe the regular MacBooks do come without the glossy finish as I don't like it and don't want to deal with reflection and when I went into the store I do believe they came in a matte finish.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha
Beauty Marked! I believe the regular MacBooks do come without the glossy finish as I don't like it and don't want to deal with reflection and when I went into the store I do believe they came in a matte finish.

Not according to to their website. I figure the site must have the most options. I prefer the keyboard set up on the Macbooks, too (and wouldn't mind saving the money).