Prenuptial Agreements?

Lauren1981

i'm not married and never have been but i do have thoughts on prenups
there are def pros and cons to it

the pros are just be protected in case anything may go wrong. i don't think they indicate any distrust. i just think some people may get them to protect themselves or to just make things more simple in case it does end in divorce. i have heard horror stories from people i know and have just read about them in the media (well, gossip mags. lol!) where divorces can become super ugly because of the whole splitting up assets, property, funds, children, etc....

the cons are that one partner may view it as the other assuming the relationship won't last or that their partner doesn't trust them enough.

these are just my opinions. like i said i've never been married but i do have views on prenups. i kind of see it like when brit-brit married k-fed. of course now she has kids that are in his custody and she pays him child support for them but in her prenup the agreement was that she would only pay him a certain amount for the number of years they were married. i feel like when they divorced, the prenup just simplified things more and protected her from him trying to get some money out of her.

i don't know
i'm no marriage counselor or divorce lawyer
just a specktra-lite that likes message boards
smiles.gif

TISH1124

^^^ i totally agree with you Lauren when there is a great deal at stake and the relationship is lopsided...then I say heck yeah...Like with Britney she had millions and he had nothing...and her millions came far before she even knew him..

As Nutmeg said when it is completely lopsided financially ...heck yeah...

But to protect a few material assets that are in the scheme of life are not that valuable....I just don't see the point....For me I had a house that was not paid for and worth only about $150k in this market, a unpaid for car and a few pieces of jewelry that were by no means of massive value...so it was not even a thought...and my son was the beneficiary on my 401K and my dh signed the agreement to that...no prenup required to do that

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127

But to protect a few material assets that are in the scheme of life are not that valuable....I just don't see the point....For me I had a house that was not paid for and worth only about $150k in this market, a unpaid for car and a few pieces of jewelry that were by no means of massive value...so it was not even a thought...and my son was the beneficiary on my 401K and my dh signed the agreement to that...no prenup required to do that

i feel you on that. i normally see that people that have prenups are famous or just have loads of money.

me personally, i don't plan on marrying anyone famous so i would identify more with the cons of him feeling like he doesn't trust me enough.
and then i would proceed to criticize him and ask him who the f*ck he thinks he is with his broke @$$.
huh2.gif

ginger9

I come from the school of never say never. I can see both arguements but I do think having a prenup does not mean two people are less committed or love each other less. There's no denying it, divorce rate is, well, high. It's not that people are going into it thinking their marriage will end (I mean who does?) but people change and grow (unfortunately, sometimes apart). If there's a big financial disparity between two people then yes, it isn't a bad idea.

MissResha

i wouldn't wanna ruin my man's credit. his is excellent. mine is meh. so based on THAT reason alone, i'd get one.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha
i wouldn't wanna ruin my man's credit. his is excellent. mine is meh. so based on THAT reason alone, i'd get one.

A pre-nup does not protect Credit...In order to keep credit seperate you have to keep your things seperate from his as far as not having joint accts etc, applying for joint credit etc....
Debit collectors could give a rats ass about a pre-nup

MissResha

^really?? i was listening to the radio a few months ago about "reasons to get a prenup" and they listed credit as one of them. like, its a special kinda prenup though...i'll have to research it more but if it turns out it holds no water, then screw it LOL.

TISH1124

^^^ yeah let me know...because Prenups protect your assets ...if their is one that can protect your credit rating I need to know....Although My husband is high off the charts ...He may need protection from mine!!

mtrimier

I like to say "protect your assets", but like ODB.
tong.gif

I don't know about having sexual clauses and conditions, etc. I remember years ago a show talking about them and how one guy wanted to put in the prenup that his wife had to stay a certain weight and look a certain way or else the marriage would be dissolved.

That is pushing it for me. I wouldn't put anything like that in mine, just that he can't have any claims to my house. It's paid off and where the majority of my family comes to get together. If whomever (or is it whoever?) I married wanted to live with me there, that's cool, I just don't want them to try to ask a court for half the value of a house that was paid off long before they were in the picture. I'd probably put a clause in that said that the value of remodeling/upgrading/whatever that was added after the marriage would be open for splitting in whatever is the most equitable way, though.

I can't do joint accounts, that just freaks me out after seeing how they ruined my mother's last marriage. Drama and lunacy.