Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35/pa+++ Discussion

JocelynGL

It was makeupforlife that got me into BB cream what feels like ages ago, and I remember reading that review when it was originally posted and feeling disappointed that MAC had apparently dropped the ball. But it seems like they're trying to make it a different kind of product than the traditional cosmetic BB creams.

MAC making their product very sheer makes sense for their goals and customer base, a traditional BB cream is NOT going to work for anyone a NC40 or above, for some brands 35 may be pushing it. They're thicker and provide a lot more coverage than the MAC one seems to. A traditional BB cream looks pretty yellow toned right out of the tube, but when you spread it on your face it does look a little pinky (depending on brand), however that will resolve once it settles. The idea is that it brightens your skin by balancing out any sallowness that the yellow is bringing. It takes a few minutes to totally settle/sink in but it WILL settle and look like a brightened yet natural you if your skin tone is within the range that the product can work with. I don't even put it down my neck since I bring my moisturizer down anyway, and have never had a problem with color not matching. There are also primer products specifically made to be used under BB creams now, called BB Boomers, but I haven't tried any of them yet so I can't speak to what they're like.

Most of the time I wear a BB cream instead of foundation. I'm pale and pretty yellow, and it really brightens my face, is really moisturizing and makes my skin feel good and pretty balanced no matter what it's doing, my skin has been clearer since I've been using it, it has helped fade some (in fairness, pretty minor) scarring, and it never sinks into the pores that I have on my nose and on my cheeks close to my nose but in fact does a decent job hiding them. Since I'm not a morning person the fact that I get all this from one product that I put on with my hands in less than a minute is a miracle. So if you can't tell, I love BB cream. There are still several I want to try, I don't see myself buying the MAC product though.

JocelynGL

Since I don't wear foundation that much I don't plan on buying this. If they put it in stores and on the counters though I'll definitely check it out to see how it compares to traditional BB creams, and to see how it looks under one of the foundations that I do like and wear, mineralize satinfinish. Which is a bit brightening and luminizing on it's own, so that...... maybe be interesting actually, especially for the evening if this does what it says it will. Hmmm. I've been planning to buy one of the shimmery BB creams for this purpose but haven't yet. Let me think on this.

DJ_Roxas

I would love to try a BB Beauty Balm but I wish it wasn't for online. It would be nice to have it in stores. I just hope the range is good like the foundations they have.

DJ_Roxas

Crap. So much for that. I would really love to try a BB cream but it's never for WOC.
ssad.gif

nibjet

I've been using it for over a week now, I love it! I'm an NC15, and I have very oily skin. I've been using it with studio fix powder, and it's been working really well! I'd definitely repurchase it.

Mac-Guy

I've been using it for over a week now, I love it! I'm an NC15, and I have very oily skin. I've been using it with studio fix powder, and it's been working really well! I'd definitely repurchase it.

I am glad you like it. How tinted is it actually?

LMD84

good to know! i'm nc20 so hopefully it will look ok on my skin then :)

rockin

Christine on Temptalia has now reviewed it http://www.temptalia.com/mac-prep-prime-bb-beauty-balm-spf-35-review-photos-swatches

LMD84

Christine on Temptalia has now reviewed it http://www.temptalia.com/mac-prep-prime-bb-beauty-balm-spf-35-review-photos-swatches
cool! it sounds like it will be good for me! :) i can't wait to get this! something i am actually looking forward to!

Swirlgirl

I was planning on picking this up with my next online order, but I've decided to skip it now. I'm not a fan of the dimethicone in it and it doesn't appear to provide enough coverage for my liking.
It's disappointing that MAC is calling this a BB cream, when it really seems to just be a tinted primer.
huh2.gif

I do plan on doing some BB research and hopefully trying out a couple of others, but the MAC one is a skip.

LMD84

i've been having a read and look and the shills bb cream seems to get good reviews and isn't crazy expensive either. i'm thinking of getting one off ebay tonight :)

bis

[quote name="Swirlgirl" url="/forum/thread/174587/prep-prime-bb-beauty-balm-spf-35-pa-discussion/90#post_2126318"] I was planning on picking this up with my next online order, but I've decided to skip it now. I'm not a fan of the dimethicone in it and it doesn't appear to provide enough coverage for my liking.
It's disappointing that MAC is calling this a BB cream, when it really seems to just be a tinted primer.
huh2.gif

I do plan on doing some BB research and hopefully trying out a couple of others, but the MAC one is a skip.
[/quote] Musingsofamuse has a lot reviews of BB creams as she uses quite a bit of Asian cosmetics products, maybe that helps you to get started?

Mac-Guy

As soon as they offer a good shipping code (with a freebie sample), I am going to try it. I hope that the SPF doesn't make it too white-ish (despite the tint).

Latest posts