Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35/pa+++ Discussion

Swirlgirl

Musingsofamuse has a lot reviews of BB creams as she uses quite a bit of Asian cosmetics products, maybe that helps you to get started?

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll definitely check out Shills and the Muse site!

Janice

I've only had the BB for 3 days, but overall so far I am enjoying it. I think it's a very versatile product, but for me it really shines as a primer. It has some coverage, but is almost translucent and is more meant to even out than cover. It does have a noticeable SPF odor, but it's faint and soon fades after application. The cream is not oily and only has slightly moisturizing feel. It is almost thick enough to feel "sticky" going on and dries down to a very nice natural finish. I recently purchased the NARS SPF 30 primer, but the MAC BB cream is far superior in almost every regard as a SPF primer.

I would like to hear from any beauty of color who have tried the BB cream so far, it does seem to "lighten" and I am concerned it will not work for those with deeper skintones. Feedback from any NC/NW 40+ who is trying to use this as a primer would be very interesting to hear. i.e. Does it change the tone of your foundation too much to use it as a primer instead of a light foundation?

Edited to clarify.

martiangurll

I've only had the BB for 3 days, but overall so far I am enjoying it. I think it's a very versatile product, but for me it really shines as a primer. It has some coverage, but is almost translucent and is more meant to even out than cover. It does have a noticeable SPF odor, but it's faint and soon fades after application. The cream is not oily and only has slightly moisturizing feel. It is almost thick enough to feel "sticky" going on and dries down to a very nice natural finish. I recently purchased the NARS SPF 30 primer, but the MAC BB cream is far superior in almost every regard as a SPF primer.

thanks for the info, now one last, little but important question--is there suitable SPF? Cuz that has to be there for me to srsly consider this as primer...but it sounds delishous

Mac-Guy

thanks for the info, now one last, little but important question--is there suitable SPF? Cuz that has to be there for me to srsly consider this as primer...but it sounds delishous
The BB has SPF 35. Or were you looking for a higher SPF?

martiangurll

^^^^^^^SPF 35 is plenty. Just gotta be sure it has both UVB and UBA protection. Now I am serious about checking this out. I could actually get very interested in a new primer.

Mac-Guy

^^^^^^^SPF 35 is plenty. Just gotta be sure it has both UVB and UBA protection. Now I am serious about checking this out. I could actually get very interested in a new primer.

It's out of stock again. I guess it is in high demand now that the sunny weather has officially started (at least on the East Coast).

LMD84

It's out of stock again. I guess it is in high demand now that the sunny weather has officially started (at least on the East Coast).
the fact it's out of stock makes me think good things about it! people wouldn't buy it if it were bad right? :)

Mac-Guy

Agreed, though as it is only available online, putting in an online order is the only way to test-drive the BB. I am anxious to read more reviews.

LMD84

Agreed, though as it is only available online, putting in an online order is the only way to test-drive the BB. I am anxious to read more reviews.
oh! i didn't realise that! yes more reviews need to come out then!! :) stat!

martiangurll

I looked and could not find this on the MAC site. Then I saw on Sephora that there is a BB by Boscia and wondered if anyone had tried that one versus the MAC one? That is probably too much to hope for--

Triskele

I so want to try a bb cream... doesn't look like it is in the cards for me since I'm about a nc44

A brand called missha has a good bb cream for darker skin tones - it's only available in the US (although they have no physical stores to my knowledge). It's their m perfect cover bb cream in shade 31 :)

soezje

I just bought skin 79 and I am curious to compare it to the mac one as soon as I get it... so review coming =)

Babylard

I have pink and gold label skin79. it seems like they break me out if I wear it everyday. I wonder if its anything with high spf that breaks me out O_O
I am very acneprone :(

Swirlgirl

I have pink and gold label skin79. it seems like they break me out if I wear it everyday. I wonder if its anything with high spf that breaks me out O_O
I am very acneprone :(

I picked up the MAC BB cream with my Bloggers e/s order and all-in-all I am not impressed. I have been using it for probably 10 days - I really wanted to give it a fair shot and IMO it is not worth the $30. I think it may have broken me out in a couple of places (but my skin is very sensitive and acne prone) and it just doesn't do anything special. It is step I can definitely go without.

As far as the color, it is pale for my NW 20 self (I think it is the sunscreen agents though) and there really is ZERO coverage. I think anyone darker than an NW 20 though would end up with a whitish case to their face - I found myself using a slightly darker concealer just to make sure the white wasn't too obvious. There is NO WAY I could just use this product as my all-in-one. I guess I was thinking it would be more tinted moisturizer-like, but it is definitely not. It is thick and hard to spread and just an odd product.
I don't think it does anything as a primer - my concealer and foundation didn't go on any smoother or have any extra lasting power, no apparent oil absorption properties or better appearance in mu skin, Nada.

I'm still curious about some of the Asian market BB Creams, but I feel like MAC was just trying to capitalize on a new trend. They really should have called this something other than a BB cream. I think it gives a bad name to true BB creams!

LMD84

I picked up the MAC BB cream with my Bloggers e/s order and all-in-all I am not impressed. I have been using it for probably 10 days - I really wanted to give it a fair shot and IMO it is not worth the $30. I think it may have broken me out in a couple of places (but my skin is very sensitive and acne prone) and it just doesn't do anything special. It is step I can definitely go without.

As far as the color, it is pale for my NW 20 self (I think it is the sunscreen agents though) and there really is ZERO coverage. I think anyone darker than an NW 20 though would end up with a whitish case to their face - I found myself using a slightly darker concealer just to make sure the white wasn't too obvious. There is NO WAY I could just use this product as my all-in-one. I guess I was thinking it would be more tinted moisturizer-like, but it is definitely not. It is thick and hard to spread and just an odd product.
I don't think it does anything as a primer - my concealer and foundation didn't go on any smoother or have any extra lasting power, no apparent oil absorption properties or better appearance in mu skin, Nada.

I'm still curious about some of the Asian market BB Creams, but I feel like MAC was just trying to capitalize on a new trend. They really should have called this something other than a BB cream. I think it gives a bad name to true BB creams!
thanks very much for your thoughts :)

Mac-Guy

Thanks for your review. Did you use a moisturizer before you applied the BB? I wouldn't mind low (or no) coverage, but I would hate a white cast from the SPF (I'm NW20 too).

Meh.... I wonder if it stays in the perm line (albeit online only)?

Swirlgirl

Thanks for your review. Did you use a moisturizer before you applied the BB? I wouldn't mind low (or no) coverage, but I would hate a white cast from the SPF (I'm NW20 too).
Meh.... I wonder if it stays in the perm line (albeit online only)?
No, I did not moisturize before using.
(But I don't regularly use moisturizer - I know, the Blasphemy LOL!)

As with everything -you should try it for yourself! Why doesn't work for one person can be a HG for someone else.

Latest posts