Pricing of M.A.C overseas?

Skeeta

I'm only new
wavey.gif

But I am wondering if anyone has an explanation for the big price differences oversea's? I'm in Australia, and have been looking into a few M.A.C and high-end cosmetic purchases, and have found they they are MUCH more expensive than the equivalent in other countries! I know there are taxes and shipping costs - but i'm feeling a bit ripped off
ssad.gif

I'm getting relatives who are on holidays in the states to buy me stuff. And if i buy things on ebay, PLUS shipping, it still works out cheaper!
hmm.gif

Mac Fluidline
eyelove.gif
for example is $32 Australian Dollars over here

$US14.50 in the states, which converts to $17 australian dollars

Does anyone have any insight to why the big markups? Or any idea of how i can get things at US prices? :confused:

Sorry if this has been done before, or if this is the wrong place for it!

Artemis

I live in Japan on a military base. I am lucky that I can order MAC online at american prices and get free shipping too. I have a japanese friend who adores MAC but she gets it in Tokyo and the prices are so much more. I told her how much I pay for MAC and she freaked out. It must be an international thing. MAC is orginally a candian company but it was bought buy estee lauder which is an american company. Since is is imported from the US it gonna cost more. US products cost much more in japan than they do in the united states.

saniyairshad

Higher taxes, and tarrifs I agree. I think shipping out MAC there would be expensive too, so to make up the high prices they need to even out the prices and cost.

foxyqt

i know how you feel and its really annoying.. you can get alot for say $100 at a US store than a store in the UAE.. fluidlines convert to AED 54 but we pay AED 71 for them =/

ThiicknSeskii

Ugh, i hate the prices in Australia too, when i spent the AUD$82(USD$66) on the #187 i couldn't believe it, it really limits how much i can spend since i am a 15y/o
weeping.gif
, I'd really like to know why also!

july

Here in Israel the prices of Mac products are also more expansive in about 20% more ...
I agree its really annoying knowing that if you where in the usa you could buy almost twice the amount you buy here for the same price...

miss_emc

It's a pain in the bum having such high prices here compared to the US but all MAC products are made in Canada so they hardly pay any costs in having things transported (in refrigerated condition) to the stores. If you think about the amount it costs a company to send their products overseas from the factories, then take into account the exchange rates, then have the country add on their own taxes for the products coming into the country, then add GST its no wonder the products here are so expensive. I know it's not fair, but it's how it is unfortunately. The only way to get around it is to get friends/family to pick stuff up for u when they travel, or order off international websites and pay postage.

Australian brands such as Napoleon, ModelCo and Jurlique are so much cheaper here than they are overseas because they originate here and are shipped to other countries hence hiking up the costs overseas. Its unfortunate that we pay more but its just the way the cookie crumbles
ssad.gif

redambition

another thing to consider about the price of mac in aus - although it's so much more expensive than in the US, it's still (on the most part) cheaper than other high end brands here.

Skeeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
another thing to consider about the price of mac in aus - although it's so much more expensive than in the US, it's still (on the most part) cheaper than other high end brands here.

Yeah, i agree with you there. Bare Minerals is $25 in america, and $70+ here!

My complaint wasnt really about MAC in particular..Just using it as an example. Its just so frustrating sometimes!
weeping.gif

In that case, does anyone know of any American sites that will ship makeup (other than ebay?) because I know Sephora, and Amazon dont.
I am happy to pay for shipping etc.

smiles.gif
Thanks guys
cheerleader.gif

darlingjem

What about ordering from the MAC Canada website? Their exchange rate is closer to our Australian dollars, I'm sure....

Any Aussies ever ordered from there?

Bec688

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingjem
What about ordering from the MAC Canada website? Their exchange rate is closer to our Australian dollars, I'm sure....

Any Aussies ever ordered from there?

The US and the Canadian sites won't ship internationally
ssad.gif

Kiwi Girlie

If you think the Australian prices for MAC are bad, come to New Zealand, lol.

For example Eyeshadow quads retail here for $92NZD in Australia it's $68AUD.

Our prices are even worse!!

Instead of buying my MAC over here, I now get cp's from lovely girls on here. I definately get alot more for my money that way.

Taj

I guess we are more blessed here in HK. No tariffs, and prices are like piggie HKD160, pan-refill HKD80.

lilifee

Over here in Germany MAc is quite expensive. For example: they charge € 17,50 for a lipstick converted to Us$ it nearly 26 $
angry.gif

Yeah I agree to you.
th_LMAO.gif

In Germany it´s really expensive to buy MAC. And the other thing is they are less professional here than in other countries. For myself I think they´ve a very bad service here. If I´m interested in sth new I always try to get it in HKG or Singapore through relatives or on travels. It´s soooo much cheaper.
girl_devil.gif

But it is like it is. Maybe thats the reason why I treat my Mac´s like my babies.

captodometer

The prices that you see listed for MAC on the US website don't include GST, which will add an additional 6-10% depending on where the buyer lives.

So it's not quite as inexpensive as it looks. But still better than prices elsewhere. I moved to New Zealand and I would drop dead before I would hand over $38 for a single eyeshadow.

Anthea

The price differences (US to Australia) don't add up in my book. All their products are imported in bulk. All the items are very small in size and light in weight. I would guess the shipping costs including taxes would equate to maybe less than a dollar per item.

All the taxes and duty's paid by Mac to import their makeup is based on the wholesale cost of the product. Only GST of 10% payed by the retail customer is based on the retail cost.

Considering They are retailing it in the US for less than half the price and making I would assume a healthy profit, we are being taken for a ride. Another other factor is in the US its a much bigger market, and higher volumes means it costs less to distribute it in the US.

So yes we should pay more than our US friends as it does cost Mac more to ship and distribute their products here in Australia. But over 100% more, IMO I don't think so, especially at the current exchange rates. (today AU.96c to the US dollar)

boudoirblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthea
The price differences (US to Australia) don't add up in my book. All their products are imported in bulk. All the items are very small in size and light in weight. I would guess the shipping costs including taxes would equate to maybe less than a dollar per item.

All the taxes and duty's paid by Mac to import their makeup is based on the wholesale cost of the product. Only GST of 10% payed by the retail customer is based on the retail cost.

Considering They are retailing it in the US for less than half the price and making I would assume a healthy profit, we are being taken for a ride. Another other factor is in the US its a much bigger market, and higher volumes means it costs less to distribute it in the US.

So yes we should pay more than our US friends as it does cost Mac more to ship and distribute their products here in Australia. But over 100% more, IMO I don't think so, especially at the current exchange rates. (today AU.96c to the US dollar)

thmbup.gif
I completely agree!
People can tell me about tariffs and tax and shipping til they are blue in the face, Im not buying it. Not for basically double the price!

I regularly import things from the US (yes in large quantities), and those are clothes and handbags, things that take up a lot more weight & space than cosmetics!!
And yes shipping is expensive, but sh*t, it doesnt DOUBLE the price!

Latest posts