Professional Aust MUAs - raise your hand!

counterobsess

Thought it might be worthwhile to get a group going specifically for Australian MUAs so we can network, give advice applicable to our market, help with sourcing international brands etc etc.

Come and introduce yourself!!

As for me - hello! I'm Hannah, current Cert IV student from Brisbane, starting out in the industry. Have kit, ready to work
thmbup.gif

Did my first paid job on Saturday (
yahoo.gif
) and have an assisting job on a photo shoot this Saturday (
th_happy1.gif
). Can you tell I'm excited?!?!

Currently I work full time in admin, but hopefully as of November I'll go down to part time work so I can get some more TFP work and build my portfolio before my course finishes in Dec. Desperately trying to get work at a counter but it's proving to be very difficult!!

Anyone else out there??

pinkvanilla

Great thread
yahoo.gif

Hi my name is Tina and I'm from Brisbane as well. I've done a cert II and hoping to start freelancing soon. Am building my kit as we speak
smiles.gif

I plan on working full time until I get some decent work in that will allow to go part time, until one day I can rely on freelance income alone.

Looking forward to chatting and networking with everyone
greengrin.gif

rockin26

Hello!! The name is Robyn I completed a Cert II earlier in the year and have been freelancing in my spare time since. Plan to go full time when the economy picks up and I get some more experience under my belt. I'm starting to get some regular clients and am pretty booked this weekend. I've linked up with a uni student from RMIT for TFP but it's been a while since we did anything.

Shout out to Miss Ali, where are you??

boudoirblonde

I'm Alicia
smiles.gif
I did my Cert II in April 2008 and I am currently doing an advanced makeup course to further my skills.

At the moment I work for Bobbi Brown, I mostly do their events and mini workshops. I'd prefer to work for M.A.C but one step at a time!

I'm also about to finish my Bachelor of Commerce (Marketing), and would LOVE to do marketing for one of the Estee Lauder companies
greengrin.gif

In terms of freelance, I don't do bridal (too stressful & not my style!), Im much more into photoshoots and fashion shows :p

Jade M

Okies I'll bite...

I'm based in Brisbane, but trained and worked both here and in New York. I switched from law to makeup back in 2004.

I work for MAC
smiles.gif
Have also worked for Mecca, Benefit and Sephora.

I do freelance work also - mainly film/TV/Music Videos but also a fair amount of bridal and personal appearance stuff. I do a bit of SPFX gore work also.

I love love love my work - and am an absolute product junkie.

pinkvanilla

Jade - that is so exciting working o/s
smiles.gif

Nice to see a few of us going from something into makeup. Makes me feel alot more confident!

counterobsess

Hmm, this thread has made me ponder...

I have been talking to a few MUAs at the moment (both newbies and well-established) and they have all mentioned the 'territorial' nature of the industry. One even said that she has found her colleagues to be unfriendly and downright rude to newcomers, not allowing newbies to observe or assist even when they need the help, and holding all their knowledge at ransom and refusing to share even with other established artists.

I know I have had a great deal of trouble finding assisting work (in fact it's been near impossible) and many others have had the same problem. I think this could be the reason.

I understand that established MUAs would have tips and tricks that they have developed after years of hard work, and I totally understand that they don't want to give it all away to someone fresh. But by totally blocking us out how are we meant to learn anything at all? Don't they remember what it was like when they started, and how grateful they were when they were given a break??

Please understand that I'm talking in general terms here, and there will always be artists that are willing to give us a chance and are incredibly friendly, so don't think I'm talking about anyone specific on here.

.... *waits to be crucified*....

pinkvanilla

That really doesn't surprise me! When I think back to when I did my cert II, even my teacher really just taught us the basics, and maybe a few tips and tricks. She has been in the industry for a long time, so I'm sure she knows more than she was letting on!

I do understand that established MUAs may not want to give everything away, and that is fine I completely understand
smiles.gif
But it's not like they are going to be around forever, so what is the harm in giving us some of their knowledge and helping the next generation of MUAs?

I don't know really
th_dunno.gif
but counterobsess I get where you are coming from.

And you are right, there are some AMAZING MUAs out there that are willing to help. RP I'm looking at you
th_DANCE.gif

I hope you get some more assisting jobs soon! I haven't even tried, for pretty much the reasons you outlined here.

(Dont get me wrong here, I am trying to get work - paid and TFP - but not so much trying to assist
smiles.gif
haha Just don't want to come off lazy or anything!).

Wow that is my essay for the morning
smiles.gif

rockin26

I guess I've been lucky so far and haven't encountered this but I have no doubt that it happens. My trainers were all really helpful and forthcoming with what they taught us because we'd be going out and representing that school when we worked, so if our work came off half arsed it reflected badly on them (this is a problem I think Napoleon has).

This is another reason why I haven't taken the leap to full time yet either. I'm pretty content doing this as a side gig for now and want to get more training and experience in too. I think it helps in the way you approach another MUA sometimes, I'm pretty friendly am all about acknowledging great work so I tend to get friendly responses back but bottom line if a person feels threatened you won't get much out of them but it's still good to try and learn what you can.

Keep trying CB and just go for any job you can get so you can build your portfolio, it's all expierence at least
smiles.gif

counterobsess

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin26
I think it helps in the way you approach another MUA sometimes, I'm pretty friendly am all about acknowledging great work so I tend to get friendly responses back but bottom line if a person feels threatened you won't get much out of them but it's still good to try and learn what you can.

Keep trying CB and just go for any job you can get so you can build your portfolio, it's all expierence at least
smiles.gif

Totally agree - but I have to say I am 100% respectful and friendly at all times, from when I'm in class to when I'm making contact with MUAs to when I'm on a job. I would absolutely die if anyone ever thought I gave them attitude or was anything less than professional. All MUAs I approach are because I have seen their work and am impressed by the quality and creativitiy, and I make sure I tell them as much.

And I certainly take anything that I'm offered! I'm not above coffee runs, cleaning brushes or even just observing.

It's just hard when you try so hard to show your passion, dedication and professionalism and you just keep hitting a brick wall.

Anyways, I'm just especially frustrated by it all at the moment. I'll step off my soapbox now...

Jade M

Ah see I haven't really had that problem - the makeup artists that I have been lucky enough to learn from within the film side of the industry are always more than willing to share, guide and offer advice. They can be extremely generous with their time and skills - and I'm talking about everyone from low budget indie films to oscar winning artists that I have been fortunate to encounter. In the US there are even professional organisations like The Powder Group founded by the wonderful Michael DeVellis that offer so many opportunities to gain exposure and insight into other aspects of the industry, and I have found it brilliant for getting a chance to access some of the artists that I admire most.

I will say that on the whole the trickiest area seems to be the fashion/editiorial side of the business. It is more competitive, and it can be a high pressure environment, so naturally newbies aren't always going to be able to be given a chance. The tip there is to gain as much experience in areas that you can and build up to what you want to do.

Please read the next bit carefully - it is meant with respect to all and as advice only...

I do come accross a lot of 'inexperienced' artists that are super keen, and have a clear goal of what they want to acheive. That's fantastic! However... it is unrealistic to expect to walk straight into the work that you are aspiring to without doing the hard yards. By this I mean get out there and do some testing - doing shoots with up and coming photogs and models, and assisting other artists - which is in my opinion an even more valuable part of your education than some of the courses out there.

I always try to give opportunities to other artists on film projects etc that come my way. The problem I encounter often though is that with the projects I get there is often no budget for payment (frankly a lot of the time I am lucky if I can get my materials covered) and some artists just can't seem to see the value in assisting just for the learning experience.

I hope this helps.

counterobsess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade M
I do come accross a lot of 'inexperienced' artists that are super keen, and have a clear goal of what they want to acheive. That's fantastic! However... it is unrealistic to expect to walk straight into the work that you are aspiring to without doing the hard yards. By this I mean get out there and do some testing - doing shoots with up and coming photogs and models, and assisting other artists - which is in my opinion an even more valuable part of your education than some of the courses out there.

Totally, 1000% agree. Thanks Jade
smiles.gif

Paramnesia

I agree too, I'm looking into getting more experience myself and completely open to assisting or TFP... actually I'd be excited as anything to assist. I'm so open to any voluntary work and maybe a short course (my life is a little complicated so I cannot afford to undertake a cert II which I wanted to do).
My first paid job is this Saturday
smiles.gif
I'm doing the make-up of 3 girls for their deb.

pinkvanilla

How exciting! Good luck Paramnesia
greengrin.gif

My first TFP is this Saturday, and I have another one lined up in November. Getting nervous but really excited. Stocked up on more makeup today.

pinkvanilla

I have a quick question:

I really need a new traincase soon. I am using my old case from my course and it's WAY too small
greengrin.gif

I've been looking around but the only ones i like are around $350+. I'm really tempted, but for that price I could buy a lot of new makeup for my kit...

What kind of case does everyone have? I was thinking of just getting one of those suitcase things (ie the ones you use while travelling) and just getting clear bags for all my makeup and packing it that way. Is this a viable option? Or will my makeup get knocked around too much? Should I just spend the money and get an actual traincase?

rockin26

I use the smaller suitcase on wheels for my consumables and the things that can get knocked about a little that won't hurt them. Like liquid foundations, lippies, lipglosses, mascaras and falsies etc. I still have my traincase for things like pressed powders such as e/s, face powders blushes etc so that if it gets knocked the case takes the grunt not the palette/compact, it just gives those items that extra bit of security from getting cracked.

HTH!
smiles.gif

pinkvanilla

Thanks for that rockin
smiles.gif
I think I will start with getting a small suitcase for most of my stuff and then use my current makeup case for the more delicate items. I think I can upgrade to the traincase I really want when my collection grows.

boudoirblonde

I currently use one of those shitty hard cases, and its SO heavy and it fits NOTHING in it. DO NOT RECOMMEND, lol

I have my eye on the MAC Zuca case! Its $570, but $399 with pro discount... one day
greengrin.gif