Professional Aust MUAs - raise your hand!

counterobsess

Oops, I forget to check the MAC Australia thread for a while and look what happens...
greengrin.gif

Makeup and Glow = AWESOME! Rachael is really sweet and can answer any questions, about products or even just the industry. She's helped me a lot, as well as many girls in my class.

I'm trying to decide what to do about my work as well - I'm really stuck at the moment. My admin job makes me so depressed, but I'm only doing TFP at the moment and even though I'm getting bridal enquiries the bookings are for months in advance so no money at the moment... trying desperately to get counter work but it's just not happening!! Not exactly sure what my next step will be....

Oh, and if you shop at Gorgeous Cosmetics they have a MUA discount - not sure exactly what you need, but a business card and ABN should be more than enough
smiles.gif

boudoirblonde

Hi ladies
smiles.gif

Media Makeup now do a trade discount! 20%! whoo
greengrin.gif
, definitely going to add more MUFE to my kit now
smiles.gif

Makeup and glow offer one too (10%), so Im gonna place an order tonight
smiles.gif
OCC liptars
greengrin.gif

pinkvanilla

Yep I have the Media Makeup one - can't wait to get more MUFE! Have the Makeup and Glow one too.

I've also applied for the Gorgeous one (30%), I just attached my business card to the form. Still yet to hear back though (only sent it in last week). Next on my list is MAC
graucho.gif
I've heard they're tough though.

I'm very very excited - I have my first paid job coming up. I'm doing makeup for two girls for their formal. I cannot wait!!!!!

rockin26

^^ Thanks sweetie! I trained with Gorgeous and I love so much of their product, I have to get my lazy arse back down there and get my discount sorted. Of their stuff I totally recommend the lip liners and most of the e/s, the 2 colours I am lemming are Starry Night (awesome navy shimmery blue) and Potato Cake (ivory/white, great for photography), they also have great dusts, check out Ms Vegas which is super hot!!

pinkvanilla

^^ Thanks for that list rockin! I was eyeing off their lip liners - good to know they're good
smiles.gif
THey had a discount night recently and i got two pairs of eyelashes and the Prism highlighter - the highlighter is gorgeous *love*

boudoirblonde

So I know I originally said I don't do bridal (also very difficult cuz I work on counter EVERY weekend).
But my photoshoots have been drying up
ssad.gif
Im only getting offers for swimwear/lingerie atm and I hate doing those - so sleezy!
So looks like Im back in the bridal game! Got an offer of a Sunday wedding early Dec, now lets see if I can get work off
smiles.gif

What foundations do u girls like for bridal?

pinkvanilla

I probably won't be of any help BB has I haven't done any bridal yet but I have read that a lot of MUAs are liking the Chanel Lumiere foundations for bridal. I think MUFE HD would be really good too, looking to put them in my kit soon.

That's all the info I got at the moment
yes.gif

boudoirblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkvanilla
I probably won't be of any help BB has I haven't done any bridal yet but I have read that a lot of MUAs are liking the Chanel Lumiere foundations for bridal. I think MUFE HD would be really good too, looking to put them in my kit soon.

That's all the info I got at the moment
yes.gif

I've heard good things about Chanel's foundations, but I HATE the colour range. They are all too dark for me, and their darkest one isnt very dark at all
ssad.gif

I've got some MUFE HD in my kit. Its not as fantastic as I was hoping
ssad.gif

rockin26

BB I use MAC SFF and Gorgeous Base Perfect Foundations. I'm not lovin the SFF on people as much as I thought I would and am thinking of picking up a few F&B which allot of makeup artists have recommended. I also heard good things abour Laura Mercier?? I swear I hate picking foundations for my kit, so expensive and I never feel like I have enough!

Question - How many foundations colours & types (matte, gel based, oil free etc) does everyone have in their kit?

counterobsess

Aah, foundations - my current cause of stress! I carry the Gorgeous foundations (Base Perfect and Sheer Brilliance) because I bought their pro kit (MISTAKE!), and I also have MUFE HD. I agree that the HD isn't as amazing as I thought it would be - I was singing its praises until about a week ago when I had to use it on a non-model and the finish just wasn't great on non-perfect skin.

Bought a Graftobian palette to test out, but haven't had a chance yet. I have NO IDEA what variety of foundations to have. My next 'test' was going to be the MUFE Face and Body, as I've heard that's great for bridal.

I also had a look at the Yaby foundations - I wasn't wowed by them, but I only had my skin to test on and I'm quite red so it didn't look great. It's a sheer foundation.

Cinema Secrets is not being produced at the moment due to the GFC, so if any of you ladies use that I'd start looking for a replacement
ssad.gif

Oh, and I'll be getting my airbrushing kit in December
choochoo.gif

rockin26

I didn't like the Sheer Brilliance one myself, it was too sheer IMO. I like the BP though and I seem to reach for that more than the SFF which has surprised me. The BP is more yellow though even in the beige shades. I think I'm lacking a light/medium straight neutral which I might get the F & B for??? So confused!!

Yay for the air brushing, I wanna do that but not til I'm earning more
smiles.gif

counterobsess

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin26
I didn't like the Sheer Brilliance one myself, it was too sheer IMO. I like the BP though and I seem to reach for that more than the SFF which has surprised me.

I find that the BP is fine for almost anything, I can just apply it lighter for less coverage. SB is only good for almost-perfect skin, and I agree it's way too sheer.

Also got the Powder Perfect compacts, and they've been great for me so far!

rockin26

Yeah I like the powder compacts too, I've got 1, 5 & 7 and they've pretty much suited everyone. What else did you get in the big pro kit you didn't like?? I've gotta say thought I love their eye dusts!!

darkorchid

It's great reading about all you girls, but I can see there doesn't seem to be many ladies from Sydney!
Could I ask where everyone studied, or what to look out for in picking a course? I'd like to take a short course or part time course in makeup
smiles.gif

boudoirblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterobsess
Aah, foundations - my current cause of stress! I carry the Gorgeous foundations (Base Perfect and Sheer Brilliance) because I bought their pro kit (MISTAKE!), and I also have MUFE HD. I agree that the HD isn't as amazing as I thought it would be - I was singing its praises until about a week ago when I had to use it on a non-model and the finish just wasn't great on non-perfect skin.

Bought a Graftobian palette to test out, but haven't had a chance yet. I have NO IDEA what variety of foundations to have. My next 'test' was going to be the MUFE Face and Body, as I've heard that's great for bridal.

I also had a look at the Yaby foundations - I wasn't wowed by them, but I only had my skin to test on and I'm quite red so it didn't look great. It's a sheer foundation.

Cinema Secrets is not being produced at the moment due to the GFC, so if any of you ladies use that I'd start looking for a replacement
ssad.gif

Oh, and I'll be getting my airbrushing kit in December
choochoo.gif

HATE the MUFE face & body. Is ok for shoots, would be very bad for bridal, not a trace of foundation or blush left after 3 or so hrs
ssad.gif

counterobsess

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudoirblonde
HATE the MUFE face & body. Is ok for shoots, would be very bad for bridal, not a trace of foundation or blush left after 3 or so hrs
ssad.gif

Really? *dreams shattered*
Back to the drawing board!

counterobsess

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin26
Yeah I like the powder compacts too, I've got 1, 5 & 7 and they've pretty much suited everyone. What else did you get in the big pro kit you didn't like?? I've gotta say thought I love their eye dusts!!

Love the eye dusts!! I just thought the colour choices in the pro kit were really bad with the eyeshadows and lip products. They give you what they think is 'popular' (read: what they want to sell) instead of having set colours that give you good variety. I had four dark lipliners (all plums and burgandy colours) and no neutrals or reds at all.

pinkvanilla

I also hvae the Graftobian palette, I find it very hard to work with
ssad.gif
Recently got some MAC SFF and Sculpt so I'm enjoying testing those out. Choosing foundations really does give me a headache
ssad.gif

What primer does everyone use? I have the OCC one and the Gorgeous one. I looked at the MAC one when I was in the city the other day, but it seemed to have sparkly bits in it
th_dunno.gif
Dunno.

The Powder compacts you girls are talking about - are they from Gorgeous?