Question for the MUAs - do you sell makeup to kids?

ratmist

I was a bit intrigued by the other thread - http://specktra.net/f179/when-do-you...makeup-108823/

and I got to thinking about what MUAs think about selling makeup to kids between the ages of say, 10 - 14.

I'm just curious if there's a policy about dealing with the tweens. For example, I'd personally be really uncomfortable helping a 12 year old try on and complete a sale with Russian Red... any stories from MUAs?

GreekChick

Well, a mother and her little girl came in once to pick out colors. The little girl was probably around 7. The mother asked me to pick out a lipgloss, a blush and an eyeshadow for her daughter. I was stunned but I did it anyway.
I kept telling the mother and the girl that it would be best to go with a soft blush (Pinch'O Peach) and a transparent lipgloss so as to not have the makeup show. Well, the daughter got mad and said she wanted a bright pink lipstick and suer bright eyeshadows, so the mother obliged.
They ended up choosing Pink Poodle lipglass and Dollymix blush.
As I was passing them at the register, the mother turned to her little girl and said "Do you want a brush honey?". I swear, it was such an uncomfortable atmosphere...She asked me the prices and said thy were too expensive for her daughter who didn't even know how to use them. I was nodding the entire time but didn't know what to say.
I did my best to help the little girl out but it was a truly awkward situation.

There is no policy for helping out tweens. I once did an entire makeup application on a 13 year old (I asked) and she wanted the whole package (smoky eyes, nude lips). I was explaining my products but she wasn't listening and kept fidgeting like a child. At that age, kids (yes kids) don't recognize the value of a product, it's usage and why it costs what it costs. We have tweens who always ask for demos and if they're free and who make a mess out of the counter. Alot of them are also very rude upon approaching us and bring in their parents when we tell them that we are super busy and that it won't be possible to makeup their eyes.

MACForME

OMG GreekChic! I see that ALL THE TIME at my FSS. I'm like, what do they think! That this is playtime? They stick their fingers into everything, smear each other and really make a mess.. I feel bad for the employees.. I don't know HOW they deal with it..

lainz

i had a group of tweens come in the other day, and they started drawing hearts all over their faces with eyeliners. when one girl asked me if the color looked okay on her skin tone, i just said mmhhmm! and i told them if they needed any help to just let me know. they stuck their grubby fingers in everything..bleh...

and we get little girls...like 4 yrs + coming in wanting a lipgloss...so ill put some dreamy on them and send them on their way feeling like glamour queens.

Willa

GreekChick :

One time I was helping out the MUA at MUFE, downtown La Baie (Mc Gill station). And all day long (it was on a saturday) mothers came with their tweens!

One even bought the whole Aqua Eye waterproof pencils line! (about 15, 18$ each). And the girl wasnt even happy, spoiled bratt!!!

It is me or in Montreal, some kids are really spoiled?

____

Anyway, I wouldnt feel uncomfortable to sell a girl some makeup, I guess I would only be if I saw how they'd use it, type of makeup they wanna achieve.

pinkxsushii

Wow a 7 year old with MAC..what happened to Lipsmackers, Bonne Bell or those cheap makeup sets for kids. Thats ridiculous!

lanslady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa
GreekChick :

____

That's everywhere honey.
yes.gif
I used to work at a Lancome counter and OMG the tweens were so ungrateful to their parents when they came in.

GreekChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxsushii
Wow a 7 year old with MAC..what happened to Lipsmackers, Bonne Bell or those cheap makeup sets for kids. Thats ridiculous!

Lipsmackers! God, I grew up with Lipsmackers, Bonne Bell, cheap body lotions that used to smell like cotton candy...Those days are gone! But, honestly, I blame the mother of that girl. She's under 10, she's doesn't even know the purpose of a blush, neither that of a brush, why get her one? And pay 50$ for them, when she'll just throw them where her the rest of her toys are?!
And while we're at it, wtv happened to My little Pony, and Poly Pocket and Cabbage Patch kids?

Oh yeah, they've been replaced by Bratz Dolls and the internet.
ssad.gif

GreekChick

Quote:
GreekChick :

One time I was helping out the MUA at MUFE, downtown La Baie (Mc Gill station). And all day long (it was on a saturday) mothers came with their tweens!

One even bought the whole Aqua Eye waterproof pencils line! (about 15, 18$ each). And the girl wasnt even happy, spoiled bratt!!!

____

Anyway, I wouldnt feel uncomfortable to sell a girl some makeup, I guess I would only be if I saw how they'd use it, type of makeup they wanna achieve.

Alot of kids are spoiled nowadays, it's insane! And yeah, it's pretty much everywhere.
I can't believe the girl wasn't happy with it! Did she get her mom to return the pencils ?!

Willa

At first she wanted those
And then the mother paid for it
But during that time, I guess she saw something else and her mom said no... so here camed the ''face''
lol.gif

GreekChick

Quote:
At first she wanted those
And then the mother paid for it
But during that time, I guess she saw something else and her mom said no... so here camed the ''face''
lol.gif

thdrama.gif
That is ridiculous!

noahlowryfan

if you spoil a kid at a young age, they will be spoil once they get older and won't know the value of a dollar because they will be thinking of "why should i get a job if my parents will buy them everything and anything that i want".

amoona

First - Polly Pocket!!! OMG! Totally miss those days haha

As for the tweens we don't get many coming to buy anything. They just want to get their make-up done, and for free. We really can't say no if we're not busy but I personally do not feel comfrotable doing make-up on a child. I didn't wear make-up until I was 18.

The worse is the moms, they're just asking to have their daughters grow up to be Playboy bunnies. I'm not a baby sitter I'm not going to give your little girl a make-over.

Then we get into the prom girl nightmare ... I HATE prom girls!

frocher

I have been at the counter when a mother explained that her daughter wanted a lip gloss that would give her a "sexy pouty look". She was 13 tops.
shockt.gif

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frocher
I have been at the counter when a mother explained that her daughter wanted a lip gloss that would give her a "sexy pouty look". She was 13 tops.
shockt.gif

sick.gif

liv

Last time I went to MAC, there was a group of girls there, and none of them could have been older than 12-14, and one of them wanted Honeylust e/s. She was very snotty though, and was like, "Can you get me a Honeylust eyeshadow? Do you know where that is?" The lady worked there, I should think she should know where the inventory is kept. =/ At least it was age appropriate.

I was into lipsmackers that you could hang on a shoestring at that age, too.

PolyphonicLove

Lord. Stuff like that is crazy. I'm only 18, and I miss the days of Barbies and Lip Smackers [Dr. Pepper flavor, ya'll!]. Now there's Bratz Babiez wearing thong diapers, Myspace, and all kinds of shit. What's wrong with our wee ones? And where - or should I say, when - do the parents step in?

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by frocher
shockt.gif

ugh. that's crazy.

ratmist

I had a few Lipsmackers and some stuff (maybe a compact with pressed powder and a lipstick?) from a Tinkerbell range that I can't remember very clearly. It was bright pink and covered with Tinkerbell and I adored it. I had to *beg* my mother to let me have the Tinkerbell stuff and after months of wearing her down, she finally bought it for me. But there was never any question of me getting to wear the Tinkerbell stuff away from home though... it was to play with at home only.

By making make-up something I could just play with at home like any other toy, I didn't come to understand the link between being 'sexy' and putting makeup on my face until I was much older.

I remember I tried to sneak out once, wearing the face powder and the lipstick, and she caught me. She sighed very deeply, looked so disappointed, and said, "You look too old. And it will ruin your skin. Go wash it off." It was the sadness in her tone that I remember more than anything else that meant I never tried to sneak out with it on again.

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
At that age, kids (yes kids) don't recognize the value of a product, it's usage and why it costs what it costs.

I am a little off put by this comment because it seems so general. I started wearing makeup at 14 and I bought it with my own money and I knew the value of it. I would never act like a lot these tweens you ladies have described. I would have been ashamed of myself.