R.I.P. Croc Hunter - Steve Irwin

ms.marymac

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14663786/BRISBANE, Australia - Steve

Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the “Crocodile Hunter,” was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, police said. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney’s The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles Reef near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of the state capital of Brisbane.

Queensland ambulance service spokesman Bob Hamil confirmed that a diver had been killed by a stingray off Lowe Isles Reef but refused to say who the victim was until relatives had been notified.

A rescue helicopter was sent from the nearby city of Cairns, and paramedics from it confirmed the diver’s death.

“The probable cause of death is stingray strike to the chest,” Hamil said.

Staff at Australia Zoo, Irwin’s zoo in southern Queensland, said they had heard the reports but could not comment.

'Crikey!'
Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry “Crikey!” in his television program “Crocodile Hunter,” which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at the Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his 1-year-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken.

Irwin was also seen as a vocal critic of wildlife hunts in Australia. The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealthy tourists in the Northern Territory following his vehement objections.

Irwin told the Australian television program “A Current Affair” that “killing one of our beautiful animals in the name of trophy hunting will have a very negative impact on tourism, which scares the living daylights out of me.”

He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Oregon, and their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

ssad.gif

2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

xstephax

This is sad and shocking. I still don't quite believe it.

I feel bad for his wife and kids
ssad.gif

sparkler

i'm gutted...

it was always possible that he could die from something like this, but i never thought that he actually would!

RIP

Azumi

;_; Steve Irwin died.

Mmhmm.

SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Steve Irwin, the Australian TV presenter known as the "Crocodile Hunter," has died after being stung in a marine accident off Australia's north coast.

Australian media reports say Irwin was diving in waters off Port Douglas, north of Cairns, when the incident happened on Monday morning.

Irwin, 44 was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest, according to Cairns police sources. Irwin was filming an underwater documentary at the time.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality Monday morning off Port Douglas, according to Australian media.

Queensland Police Services also confirmed Irwin's death and said his family had been notified. Irwin was director of the Australian Zoo in Queensland.

He is survived by his American-born wife Terri and their two children, Bindi Sue, born 1998, and Robert (Bob), born December 2003.

Irwin became a popular figure on Australian and international television through Irwin's close handling of wildlife, most notably the capture and relocation of crocodiles.

Irwin's enthusiastic approach to nature conservation and the environment won him a global following. He was known for his exuberance and use of the catch phrase "Crikey!"

But his image suffered a setback in January 2004 when he held his then 1-month-old baby Bob while feeding a crocodile at his Australian zoo. (Full story)

In a statement released to Australian media, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer expressed his sorrow and said that he was fond of Irwin and was very appreciative of all the work he had done in promoting Australia overseas.

In 2003, Irwin spoke to the Australian Broadcasting Corp.'s Australian Story television program about how he was perceived in his home country.

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior Australian bloke," he said, the ABC reported.

"And yet back here in my own country, some people find me a little bit embarrassing. "You know, there's this... they kind of cringe, you know, 'cause I'm coming out with 'Crikey' and 'Look at this beauty.'"

From here.

D:

jess98765

RIP steve
smiles.gif
My thoughts are with you and your family tonight. I just hope he realised what an amazing man he was and how greatful people of the world are of his astounding efforts with the wildlife and animals; and also how blessed he was to have 2 fantastic children and a wife that adored him.
smiles.gif

hyperRealGurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
Very sad, he had a true passion and calling for wildlife preservation.
ssad.gif

he sure did.......

giz2000

That's very sad...but if you look at it, he died doing what he loved. Still sad, though...he was a great man.

YvetteJeannine

"Croc Hunter" Steve Irwin Dies...

ssad.gif
I was deeply saddened when my husband told me this morning that the "Croc Hunter", Steve Irwin died.

I'm sure most all of you know who he is, and it's a very profound lost to animal conservationists.

I always knew somthing was going to happen to this man; the very nature of the work he does puts him in a very high-risk category...but this......
icon_eek.gif

Irwin was in Queensland, Australia fliming a wildlife documenary aptly titled "The Ten Deadliest"...he was swimming with Stingrays, when he accidentally got too close to one, and it's barb went into his chest, penetrating his heart.

I always loved watching him. His enthusiasm and love for all living creatures was not only inspiring, but unmatched.

He also played a huge role in conservation. His ablility to reach all types of people and teach them about conservation was amazing. There will be a large void left in the conservation movement.

Personally, I loved him. Not only was he fun to watch, but every time I saw his programs I learned something new. His personality was awesome! He didn't always use the best judgement, but he loved what he did, and he had a passion for nature, and all living things that you just don't see!

He will be sadly missed.

Chic 2k6

Theres another topic on here about Steve Irwin.

But yeah, i'm so gutted that he died and he said somewhere that if he goes, he wanted it to be with a crocodile, at least he died doing something he loved, deepest condolences to his family

Latest posts