really DRY Skin. pls HELP!

swtginbug

lately i've been having really dry yucky skin on my face... on my cheeks, nose, chin and forehead, even my eyelids. just everywhere.
the moisturizers i've been using doesn't seem to help. i always exfoliate figuring it would take away the dead skin/cells.. but i keep having dry skin lately.

so, i was wondering if you guys had any recs.. I have combination skin... Thanks!!!

i was thinking about DDF's ultra-lite dew or clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion, but i have no idea.

Thanks!!

MsCuppyCakes

I use Cetaphil as well. Works great for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExquisiteImages
I highly recommend Cetaphil!

ExquisiteImages

Yup. It works great! I have severe dry skin too until the ladies here on Specktra recommended it. I've bought Cetaphil three weeks ago and absolutely love it! It's affordable, non-greasy, and unscented.

swtginbug

oh okay thanks.. well my skin is so weird sometimes. my t-zone gets oily thru the day and my cheeks and eyelids and even my nose gets really dry too. how can i desribe it... its likes flakey dry skin patches all over my cheeks and nose and forehead and especially on my eyelids. makes it hard to put on eyeshadow with out the patches showing...

so cetaphil would really help? is there a particular one of cetaphil's to get?

i was just on drugstore.com and there are 3 kinds:

Daily Facial Moisturizer, SPF 15,
Moisturizing Cream, Fragrance Free
Moisturizing Lotion, Fragrance Free

which is best?

pixichik77

So sorry to hear... Have you changed anything? To be honest, it sounds like an allergic reaction (eyelids don't commonly peel); The last person I knew who peeled and flaked like that wa sallergic to flouride. (I don't think YOU are, but if you changed something in your routine lately, you may want to look at that). Also, don't exfoliate too much. It can exacerbate the issue.

I use the moisturizing lotion on my body..

ExquisiteImages

I don't really know the different between the Cetaphil lotion or cream, but I use the lotion. Maybe the cream version is for someone with super dry skin perhaps? Anyhow, I apply it to my skin after I wash my face at night time (or you can do it before going to sleep). In the morning time before I put on makeup, I use MAC's oil control lotion.

I agree with pixichik77-- don't exfoliate too much. I usually exfoliate 1-2 times per week. Overdoing it can cause you to have dry skin because it'll constantly take away the natural oil in your skin that keeps your skin smooth.

swtginbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixichik77
So sorry to hear... Have you changed anything? To be honest, it sounds like an allergic reaction (eyelids don't commonly peel); The last person I knew who peeled and flaked like that wa sallergic to flouride. (I don't think YOU are, but if you changed something in your routine lately, you may want to look at that). Also, don't exfoliate too much. It can exacerbate the issue.

I use the moisturizing lotion on my body..

hmm, no i haven't changed anything in my routine.. which is weird since my eyelids are dry... also, i only exfoliate like 2x a week at most.

i think i'll try cetaphil. i'll have to get some asap. i think i might try the cream...

swtginbug

thanks you guys!!! thanks for everyone who replied to my post. so helpful! i will try the cream version since my face is really really dry. thanks!!!

MsCuppyCakes

I have the moisturizing cream in the tub with the green label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtginbug
thanks you guys!!! thanks for everyone who replied to my post. so helpful! i will try the cream version since my face is really really dry. thanks!!!

ExquisiteImages

BTW, I love the Cetaphil's gentle cleanser also. It doesn't make my skin dry. Before that, I was using Clinique's mild soap and that was making my skin dry and flaky.

I think another different between the lotion and the cream was that the cream was in a jar while the lotion was in a bottle with a pump. Maybe that's what the difference is? LOL.

swtginbug

i actually went and picked up some cetaphil stuff already. yes i know... so quick! but i really need something for my dry face.

i picked up moisturizing lotion in a pump and Daily facial cleanser. i just used both and the facial cleanser is very nice, my skin doesn't feel dry and took off all my makeup. the moisturizing lotion is very nice too, my face feels so moist and i don't see any dry patches.. hope it gets better after using it for awhile.

THANKS you guys for the great rec.

Katja

I'm about to run out of my facial moisturizer. This seems like a nice followup to try.
smiles.gif

xiahe

i've never tried Cetaphil, but i swear by Clinique's dramatically different moisturizing gel...i use the gel kind because even tho i have combo skin, sometimes i have to use it in my t-zone area because it gets dry and those are the places i break out the most. it's very lightweight and it's not heavy. some lotions kinda "rub off" your face but i found that this stuff doesn't. the gel is also oil-free =]

but if you find that Cetaphil works for you, then i would stick with that - it'll save you some money
smiles.gif

semtexgirl

Hi, ever tried anything by DHC? Their website is www.dhccare.com but you can also get their products on ebay. I SWEAR by their Deep Cleansing Oil. It's amazing
eyelove.gif
. I have oily tzones but have never broken out from this cleanser. The skin under my eyes also gets REALLY dry in the cold months and NOTHING has worked as well as this stuff to restore moisture to my skin. I used all kinds of concentrated, ultra-rich eye creams. They'd work great when first applied, but within a few hours the dry skin would be back. Don't let the fact that it's an oil scare you. It rinses clean and my feels dewey after washing with it; never tight or dry. It's a little on the pricey side but all you need is one pump each time you wash your face. I've been using my 6.7 fl. oz. bottle twice a day for about 5-6 weeks now and I'm only a little over halfway through the bottle. Good luck!

alaylam

I use proactiv, which is the BEST thing for my acne but the WORST thing for trying to deal with dry skin. The combination of proactiv and Canadian winters usually leaves my skin feeling and looking like a piece of toast. But this winter I've been using honey on my face after I'm done cleansing, and holy jeeze, I didn't have a single dry patch on my face the whole season. In fact my skin is smoother and nicer looking than it's ever been before! I just washed my face as usual, then rubbed in some honey and washed it off right away. It leaves the skin sooo smooth and nice for putting makeup on too. I'd recommend it!

xiahe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaylam
I use proactiv, which is the BEST thing for my acne but the WORST thing for trying to deal with dry skin. The combination of proactiv and Canadian winters usually leaves my skin feeling and looking like a piece of toast. But this winter I've been using honey on my face after I'm done cleansing, and holy jeeze, I didn't have a single dry patch on my face the whole season. In fact my skin is smoother and nicer looking than it's ever been before! I just washed my face as usual, then rubbed in some honey and washed it off right away. It leaves the skin sooo smooth and nice for putting makeup on too. I'd recommend it!

yeah proactiv dries me out too, especially the lotion! but it works...that's why during the day time i cleanse and use the toner but i use my clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel and at night i use the proactiv lotion.

and honey? i've never heard of using that! it doesn't make you break out or anything? what kind of skin do you have? i have combo...comfortable in the cheeks and oily in the t-zone.

swtginbug

okay, after a week of using CETAPHIL Moisturizing Lotion, my skin has dramatically changed from dry as hell to normal!!! YAY!!! I used it every night on the dry patches on my face and now it's no longer dry. I LOVE IT! THANK YOU, THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT REC!!!

Latest posts