Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2014! Who wants to play?

NaomiH

I think i need a little of anti-enabling power over here.Riri holiday will launch where i live and i reasonably need to skip the lipsticks.I mean i have ruby woo(and how much different is really riri?),a ton of fuchsia lipsticks that i wear twice a year and i really don't believe that BGRR will look good on me(nc20-25).AND i even want the bag,i mean come on 32 euros for a makeup bag made in China,makes no sense.Still want it though.HELPPPPP
It hasn't been too easy for me either, but I'm trying my best to stick to my resolve and not hunt down BGRR because I know I'd never use it. I say if you like the look of the makeup bag try and maybe find something similar for a less ridiculous price or wait on it to hit a CCO and get it then. I doubt the bag will sell out and so you can maybe think on it for a few days or maybe make it known you might like it for a Christmas gift then you'll have it but not have the guilt of caving. :)

Debbs

It dawned on me today that members who are more likely to have makeup products that are on my list of to-haves are not looking in clearance/sales/wishlist bin. Most of these long time seasoned collector members are not remotely interested in selling or looking to make profit etc. I understand that as the hoarder in me wants to keep all my items even if I am not using them. I gave my sis several es (never used) during Thanksgiving Holiday and went on a frantic mission to replace them immediately. Even if its not for profit and I can make someone's day I plan on doing so. Anyone interested in swapping etc for my Shortlist ISO please let me know. That would definitely make my holiday wishes come through and ensure that I limit my spending (buy other things out of sheer frustration when unable to get what I really want). I freely and willingly give away a lot of things however when it comes to make-up I have to re-think, ponder, double think, re-think. If I can't find the item again would it really impact me negatively? Am I actually using the item? Is it for nostaglia and collector purposes? Is there someone out there that these that it would flatter in a nicer way? It's painstaking to say the least about parting with make-up you've bonded with (if its even by just looking at them) I had thought of trading a few recent in demand items but then I realized that the new make-up lovers more than likely would not have the older items that could potentially benefit me in their stash. I decided just to let it all go regardless if my needs ever get met or not. Spreading joy and cheer to me is the spirit of the holdiays and should be all-year long

ma146rina

It hasn't been too easy for me either, but I'm trying my best to stick to my resolve and not hunt down BGRR because I know I'd never use it. I say if you like the look of the makeup bag try and maybe find something similar for a less ridiculous price or wait on it to hit a CCO and get it then. I doubt the bag will sell out and so you can maybe think on it for a few days or maybe make it known you might like it for a Christmas gift then you'll have it but not have the guilt of caving. :)
you're right...i need to stay strong...that's nice knowing other ppl are on the same boat,it makes me feel less crazy.I can't really explain to my friends that skipping some lipsticks is sooo hard for me

Bcteagirl

you're right...i need to stay strong...that's nice knowing other ppl are on the same boat,it makes me feel less crazy.I can't really explain to my friends that skipping some lipsticks is sooo hard for me
You can do it!! I went to Marshalls over lunch and they are overstocked with everything Anna Sui. I only have two things of hers, both bought at winners... it seemed like such a 'deal' that I 'ought' to be buying some. I reminded myself that if they have some now, sometime within the next year they will get more in. By the time I actually 'need' any of this stuff, I will be able to find something very similar. The world is not going to stop making makeup.

Glitteryvegas

You can do it!! I went to Marshalls over lunch and they are overstocked with everything Anna Sui. I only have two things of hers, both bought at winners... it seemed like such a 'deal' that I 'ought' to be buying some. I reminded myself that if they have some now, sometime within the next year they will get more in. By the time I actually 'need' any of this stuff, I will be able to find something very similar. The world is not going to stop making makeup.
This is so right - by the time you end up needing something, it will be available (maybe not the same brand, etc. but nevertheless).

I'm currently obsessed with acquiring the UD Theodora palette. I even bought one off evilbay and it was a fake, so I had to return it at COST TO ME. YES. So I essentially threw $17 down the toilet for a fake product that I don't even have any more and I am considering spending another $60 to give to a seller who bought it from Nordstrom Rack (she told me that) for probably like $25. UGHHHHHHH. That means by the end of it I would have spent $77 USD for a palette they were selling in Canada for like $62-68, plus gone through all of this BS. I honestly think that THIS is the reason why LE collections cause such a frenzy - because it's a pain in the ass if you miss it & often times, so much more expensive. The 'fear' of missing out is behind a lot of purchasing I think.

The problems is - how often are LE items put in a drawer or make up case and replaced by the newer, glitzier LE items that come out weeks later?!

In short, I'm going to fight the urge to purchase Theodora. I have a feeling my wonderful hubs bought me some UD set(s) for Christmas (as I gave him my Sephora coupon LOL!) so I will look forward to those and putting an end to this madness of stalking/obsessing/acquiring!

Kaori

I will be going on a no-buy for 2014 until VIB sale/black friday sale again ^^ But I need to limit all the online shopping I do, not just makeup. I shop a lot online because I love getting packages, it feels like Christmas >.< I really need to cut it down. Most of the time I shop only when stuff is on sale, so I always have that good feeling how much I saved, but in reality I might have not even needed the item and just bought it cos it was on sale... I need to train my willpower and resist!!!

Like this year I didnt buy anything in sephora until FF sale/VIB sale/Black friday sale and during those I went nuts and reached VIB Rouge <.<; bad bad me. And my love list is full again for next year's sale lol And I'm not even counting the purchases I made on Urban decay (great clearance sales they always have), Inglot, HSN, Julep etc for black friday.... ^^;
Impulse buys are the worst, if I leave at least a week rethinking what I really want to buy, I change my mind a lot.

Btw I never buy backups, even if I love an item. I just can't stand having two of the same item. I think that's helping me save a bit lol Beside I would never be able to finish it before it expires anyways and by then there will be newer and better stuff out, which I will want to try ;)

ma146rina

Exactly!There's always going to be new stuff,we need to remember that

PixieDancer

I think i need a little of anti-enabling power over here.Riri holiday will launch where i live and i reasonably need to skip the lipsticks.I mean i have ruby woo(and how much different is really riri?),a ton of fuchsia lipsticks that i wear twice a year and i really don't believe that BGRR will look good on me(nc20-25).AND i even want the bag,i mean come on 32 euros for a makeup bag made in China,makes no sense.Still want it though.HELPPPPP
I think you're DEFINITELY safe to skip RiRi! I honestly feel this last collab was very boring. They knew after all the hype from the previous collections, it would sell no matter WHAT they rolled out. They are sitting on all those new eye shadow palettes and probably thought if they released the same ones in RiRi it would spark interest in the crap products they have been releasing! Its hard to resist when something is SO hyped! But be proud you skipped. I did as well! And after a few weeks when PC & MN launch, RiRi will be old news. I think that's the biggest thing we need to overcome... Not believing that "hype" translates into a "rare & irreplaceable" item! That is NOT so at all!! I'm proud of you hun! Also, I LOVE the idea of rewarding yourself with a purchase for other goal achievements! And creating swap threads to purge things we really don't use! Great great motivation ladies! I read a couple places where the person would not buy a new product until they used up or swapped one of the same product... I found that to be brilliant!

NaomiH

I read a couple places where the person would not buy a new product until they used up or swapped one of the same product... I found that to be brilliant!
iagree.gif
, there have been several good and helpful suggestions so far and I think if we keep coming up with plans/goals and supporting each other we can start buying less and enjoying more.

PixieDancer

:agree: , there have been several good and helpful suggestions so far and I think if we keep coming up with plans/goals and supporting each other we can start buying less and enjoying more.
"Buy Less. Enjoy More!" This needs to be our motto! Yes girl, yes!!!

Spikesmom

"Buy Less. Enjoy More!" This needs to be our motto! Yes girl, yes!!!
Love it!!!

I didn't even attempt to buy anything from the holiday RiRi collection. Not only do I need to stop buying things because I feel like I'll be missing something, but I need to be more careful with buying dupes, colors I won't wear often, etc... For example... How many blueish fuschias do I need? HOW MANY??? Lord. My worst impulse buy of the year I think was the damn orange l/s from the Hayley Williams collection. I didn't even get my discount on it!! It looks HORRIBLE on me. Horrible. Let's stop the madness!!!!

NaomiH

Love it!!!

I didn't even attempt to buy anything from the holiday RiRi collection. Not only do I need to stop buying things because I feel like I'll be missing something, but I need to be more careful with buying dupes, colors I won't wear often, etc... For example... How many blueish fuschias do I need? HOW MANY??? Lord. My worst impulse buy of the year I think was the damn orange l/s from the Hayley Williams collection. I didn't even get my discount on it!! It looks HORRIBLE on me. Horrible. Let's stop the madness!!!!
YES!!! I do the same thing and it keeps me from buying things I would actually use because I get so wrapped up with the mentality of having to have it for fear of having the dreaded skipper's remorse. I too bought Sounds like Noise and I can get it to work if I play around with it, but straight out of the tube? NO MA'AM!

PixieDancer

Love it!!!  I didn't even attempt to buy anything from the holiday RiRi collection.  Not only do I need to stop buying things because I feel like I'll be missing something, but I need to be more careful with buying dupes, colors I won't wear often, etc...  For example... How many blueish fuschias do I need?  HOW MANY???  Lord.  My worst impulse buy of the year I think was the damn orange l/s from the Hayley Williams collection.  I didn't even get my discount on it!!  It looks HORRIBLE on me.  Horrible.  Let's stop the madness!!!!
YES!!! I do the same thing and it keeps me from buying things I would actually use because I get so wrapped up with the mentality of having to have it for fear of having the dreaded skipper's remorse. I too bought Sounds like Noise and I can get it to work if I play around with it, but straight out of the tube? NO MA'AM!  
I'm SO glad I ended up resisting that lipstick! There were some really pretty FOTDs w that one & I somehow just knew I wouldn't use it a lot!! I want to concentrate on that mentality in 2014!!

NaomiH

I'm SO glad I ended up resisting that lipstick! There were some really pretty FOTDs w that one & I somehow just knew I wouldn't use it a lot!! I want to concentrate on that mentality in 2014!!
I think we can do it! GO TEAM BUY LESS, ENJOY MORE!
pompom.gif

babygirlLAH

I need to join this board. My lipstick stash used to contain only drugstore stuff till it got replaced by Mac and other higher end products this year. Now I have over 32 Mac lipsticks and that doesn't even count the bu I bought. Smh. Biggest regret was buying any of the lipsticks from AAO. I got sushi kiss thinking "I know this won't work right out the tube but maybe I'll mix it with something and make it work?" Did it work out? Nope, I looked just as dead as when I tried on nude from riri fall (and I bought a back up of it!!). So now they just sit in my drawer. I'm gonna try real hard to not buy anything till the malificent collection comes. Even then im gonna try to limit myself on how much I buy from it.

IHughes

I've also noticed I have many colors that are so bright and stand out that I won't wear them every day so I will take much longer to go through them. Therefore I MUST stop buying over-the-top lipsticks until I've used some of the ones I have. It's better to spend on stuff I'll use everyday!
I resisted the Rihanna collections so I'm feeling pretty pleased about that! I'm also not buying anything from Punk Couture and probably not from Magnetic Nudes either.
I'm spending more on skincare and other brands too (which I know is still spending, but at least it's varied and I may be able to get through those things). My main reason why I want to limit buying is because I buy makeup to use, not to collect, so I don't want to feel I have enough makeup for several faces, lol!

shellygrrl

Staff member
I think that's the biggest thing we need to overcome... Not believing that "hype" translates into a "rare & irreplaceable" item! That is NOT so at all!!
:nods: Chances are, there's a permanent item that's currently available that is very similar to that hyped-up, limited edition thing. Or you can remind yourself that Shiny New Permanent Thing (whatever it is) will still be there for the buying later, that you don't need it now if you have something similar already.
Also, I LOVE the idea of rewarding yourself with a purchase for other goal achievements! And creating swap threads to purge things we really don't use! Great great motivation ladies!
Oh, definitely! Another idea would be to treat yourself to an item on your birthday, whenever it comes around.
SKIIIIIIPPPPP! The RiRi collections are extremely overhyped, I'm telling you. And Ruby Woo and RiRi Woo are pretty similar. And you don't need fuschia lippies, especially if you know you're not going to wear them. If you really want or need a makeup bag of some kind, my suggestion is to go on Etsy and look around there. There are loads of them, and for less than what you'd spend on the RiRi bag, and you'll be supporting People Who Make Things Themselves. :nods:

Knope2012

I've been okay in not buying for a few days, but it gets tough. That's one reason I started to step away from MAC. Someone would post that an item was a "must have" and I just had to have it! It's also helping me to watch YouTubers that don't buy tons of new things every month. That way I see that they're getting a lot of use out of maybe 5 new things, and it inspires me to find new ways to use my stuff. I think my next beauty purchase will be a set of the Real Techniques brushes-I could do a lot more if I had some better eye brushes.

LinenWhite7

I caved, fell for the hype, and stalked down Pleasure Bomb from Riri. Guess what? It is an exact color dupe for Revlon Cherries in the Snow. I mean Revlon has had that shade for what, like 50 years? But luckily I didn't pay for it - I returned an early Christmas gift I received and used the store credit to get the Riri lipstick. But did I need it? Am I so happy I have it? Nope. Totally could have done without it. Sometimes I wish Temptalia reviewed more drugstore lipstick so her dupes were not just all high-end. Would have saved me from that Riri lipstick if I new I had 3 almost exact dupes in my drawer. I LOVE the idea of a basket for forgotten products to use! I'm going to do that starting immediately!

Glitteryvegas

I also bought SLN. UGHHHHHH. It is so hard to work with (not sure if it's the colour or the formula on me...maybe both). The Daydreaming eyeshadow was a big WIN. I should've bought 2 of those instead....

wait...what am I saying?!??

I do love it though.

Latest posts