Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2014! Who wants to play?

Glitteryvegas

I've been okay in not buying for a few days, but it gets tough. That's one reason I started to step away from MAC. Someone would post that an item was a "must have" and I just had to have it! It's also helping me to watch YouTubers that don't buy tons of new things every month. That way I see that they're getting a lot of use out of maybe 5 new things, and it inspires me to find new ways to use my stuff. I think my next beauty purchase will be a set of the Real Techniques brushes-I could do a lot more if I had some better eye brushes.

I bought the RT eye set brushes and they work pretty good! The one blending/crease brush I use every day & the small 'accent' brush is really great for putting shadow under eyes! :)

Glitteryvegas

I LOVE the idea of a basket for forgotten products to use! I'm going to do that starting immediately!

Thank you for the dupe! I just checked and UD Catfight looks like a passable dupe too. Not a more cost effect version, but if you already have it, then you may not need PB.
yahoo.gif

LinenWhite7

Thank you for the dupe! I just checked and UD Catfight looks like a passable dupe too. Not a more cost effect version, but if you already have it, then you may not need PB.
yahoo.gif
Oh, I have Catfight too. I should just return Pleasure Bomb. I mean seriously. I could get some nice eye cream or something instead.

allthingsglam

Just joined I'm ready I have so many unused lipsticks and blushes because I'm always buying more i think I have every color in my collection now and if its not something different I can live without it

Glitteryvegas

Oh, I have Catfight too. I should just return Pleasure Bomb. I mean seriously. I could get some nice eye cream or something instead.

Maybe swatch them side by side to be sure? But honestly, unless you wear really bright lipsticks all the time, then you could start early on our little project & return it for something you'll really use!

BriarRose

Pixie, this is such a great idea! I am definitely in the camp of needing to be anti-enabled to buy rather than enabled to buy. Beyond the fact that money is tighter than it once was, I am plum out of storage space. That and I have more of some products than I will ever be able to use before they go bad (namely lipgloss). I have been buying far less this year but still need to cut way back. It helped that I skipped all the Riri collections but I still need to make further changes. I rarely buy anything from my local CCO now. I used to spend obscene amounts of money there. When I have gone the last 4 months or so, I just buy a brush if I buy anything since I figure that is a more useful investment if I feel like I really want to buy something. I think I've bought a whopping two products in that timeframe-- an Archie's nail polish and a MES from the summer collection. At this point I am thinking I will buy no more than 2 glosses from January to end of June and instead focus on using ones I have that I've never even opened. I am not sure what kind of collection specific goal to set. I'm thinking maybe just max of two items per release? I skip some collections altogether already. I guess the exception for me could be the mineralized collections, since that is my favorite type of product. I could bump my limit to 3 or 4 for those. My one big exclusion will be the Maleficent collection. I will likely buy all or nearly all of that. I am a Disney collector first and foremost when it comes to hobbies. I had wanted two lipsticks and a lipgloss from Punk Couture but I am going to force myself just to get the Punk Couture lipstick only if I can, since I think that is best suited for me. Trying to start my more strict cut backs before the year is done.

PixieDancer

Just joined I'm ready I have so many unused lipsticks and blushes because I'm always buying more i think I have every color in my collection now and if its not something different I can live without it
I have the same issue... Grabbing everything & then end up getting backed up on new products... Then they get put away & some never used at all! What's the point in that?! And I don't think I need every shade of bright pink considering I won't wear a shade like that everyday. So even if there are slight variations it doesn't matter if it's not a shade I'll wear often. It's not like I'll say "I think I want the bright pink that leans a little more purple today!" Lol

walkingdead

Thank you for starting this thread. I was about to buy something on Ulta this morning-/7:00am!! just because it was on sale...I even put 2 in my cart.. Then I had to spend 4.00 more to get the free shipping... But I stopped myself and logged off..

makeba

I was speaking to my hubby about living a simple life and we both agreed that we need to prioritize our wants and need so we can live better and reduce our debt. He is more the pay on it type while I am the figure out how much to pay it off soon type. So I will limit my wants to one to two items from a collection that has things I know work and will use. I plan to post a bunch of goodies in the clearance bin for the lowest prices ever seen so that they go to good homes and gives me more space in my drawers so watch out for this some time in january.

NaomiH

[COLOR=181818]I also bought SLN. UGHHHHHH.  It is so hard to work with (not sure if it's the colour or the formula on me...maybe both). The Daydreaming eyeshadow was a big WIN. I should've bought 2 of those instead....[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]wait...what am I saying?!??[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818] I do love it though.[/COLOR]
I skipped the eye shadow because I am on a no eye shadow buy until I get through some of my pigments. I am thinking of getting it though because I realized the other day while going through my pigments and shadows looking for a coral that I do not have one. So at least if I cave, it'll be on something I don't already have a thousand different shade variations of. lol

Knope2012

I had wanted two lipsticks and a lipgloss from Punk Couture but I am going to force myself just to get the Punk Couture lipstick only if I can, since I think that is best suited for me. Trying to start my more strict cut backs before the year is done.
Oh no, I didn't even see that MAC was doing a Maleficent collection. I'm a Disney collector too. I found a company called Funko that does these cute 4 inch figurines of Disney characters, and I'm now out of space. I found I didn't use many of the products I hoarded from VV, so maybe I can just stick to one powder or something.

walkingdead

Oh no, I didn't even see that MAC was doing a Maleficent collection. I'm a Disney collector too. I found a company called Funko that does these cute 4 inch figurines of Disney characters, and I'm now out of space. I found I didn't use many of the products I hoarded from VV, so maybe I can just stick to one powder or something. 
Do you mean Funko POP! I love those... They are sooo cute! I bought a bunch of the Walking Dead ones for my co-walkers for Christmas! I think the Jiminey Cricket one is soo cute

Knope2012

Do you mean Funko POP! I love those... They are sooo cute! I bought a bunch of the Walking Dead ones for my co-walkers for Christmas! I think the Jiminey Cricket one is soo cute
Yes! I love those so much. I think I've bought 20 this year, and I'm completely out of space. I don't have Jiminey yet, but I have most of the Disney princesses, a few superheroes/villains, the Beatles, and some of the Adventure time ones. I'm completely addicted.

thejwlife

Ok. I'm definitely in. Currently I have 4 BNIB eyeshadow palettes sitting on my vanity that I've purchased in the last month. We're not going to go into the number of unopened lippies. I'm trying to make a realistic commitment, though. I'm thinking a limit of 6 new products a month (2 eye products, 2 face products, and 2 lip products) - but that still seems like a lot. What do you guys think?

walkingdead

Yes! I love those so much. I think I've bought 20 this year, and I'm completely out of space. I don't have Jiminey yet, but I have most of the Disney princesses, a few superheroes/villains, the Beatles, and some of the Adventure time ones. I'm completely addicted.
LOL!! How could you be not be addicted!! They are sooo cute. Send me a pic of your collection. I can appreciate it! I was going to buy Loki but my Twin sister already did!

thejwlife

My nail polish collection has also grown to 300+, so I'm going to be cleaning some out when I move. I'm also going to make an inventory of them based on color, as I'm pretty sure I don't need any more purples or blues for a lifetime! Since I'm planning on entering a more conservative career after I finish my degree, I'm going to go on a mission to find unique, work-safe colors instead!
I'm happy to suggest some unique work safe colors, and to take some of the bright bold non-work-appropriate colors off of your hands.

LinenWhite7

K girls, help me convince myself I can return PB. I swatched and I have 5+ extremely similar lippies. Even if fuchsia is a great lippie color, I'm never gonna want one that's specifically matte. I always add a gloss. So my 3 almost identical dupes and 5+ close dupes should cover it, right? $16.50 is a lot for something that isn't unique. I could return and get a Bare Minerals Ready eye duo, Origins GinZing eye cream, or a Mac product. Give me your opinions!

BreeMakeupGeek

This is a great Idea & would love to add that when I first started wearing MU I use to buy everything in sight, lipsticks, eyeshadows, brushes...once I discovered what looks best on me...my stash greatly became reduced....i had a ton of Nars & Mac blushes & once i figured out that really glittery things higlighted my pores & made my skin look worse I only switched to Matte blushes & once I found my universal look Bronzer which goes with every lip color I literarly have one blush left....same thing with E/S I had so much Ugh it was Nasueating...I found colors that complimented my skin tone & that complimented my bright lipstick collection. I know this was long & does not contain much periods if any...Lol but this tip in the last year have helped me a lot....find what works for you & stick to it:encore:

Kaori

For those who have tons of makeup, you need to put it on display and not hide it in drawers, then you will be overwhelmed and wont buy new stuff ;) Because out off sight, out of mind and you buy duplicates.
And try to get rid of credit cards. I found it on myself, that when I buy with someone else's money, I spend much more than when I would have to buy it with my own money =)

IHughes

Even the MUA at the MAC stand was suggesting I get stuff different to what I already have! It's silly to have 6 similar lippies only I can tell the difference. I know want to concentrate on getting new stuff and skincare that I don't have!