Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2014! Who wants to play?

veronikawithak

I've been decluttering as well! Not with the makeup, but my closet which is looong overdue.. I filled 3 large garbage bags with donations and 1 to trash. I'm down to one small clear bin of excess clothing, most of which is summer seasonal and some things I'm hoping to fit into soon. It feels so therapeutic to get all of that out of my life finally. Some of it I haven't worn for 4 years.. I also pulled a few things from the bins to try out over the next few weeks and if I don't like them they will be leaving too. I received a beautiful new handbag that I wanted so I got rid of all my other ones that are worn out or that I haven't used. Starting the year fresh and unburdened is the best feeling. Bought a few replacement skincare items since I used up everything this week but I have no desire to buy anything else.

mommyluvsmac

I've been decluttering as well! Not with the makeup, but my closet which is looong overdue.. I filled 3 large garbage bags with donations and 1 to trash. I'm down to one small clear bin of excess clothing, most of which is summer seasonal and some things I'm hoping to fit into soon. It feels so therapeutic to get all of that out of my life finally. Some of it I haven't worn for 4 years.. I also pulled a few things from the bins to try out over the next few weeks and if I don't like them they will be leaving too. I received a beautiful new handbag that I wanted so I got rid of all my other ones that are worn out or that I haven't used. Starting the year fresh and unburdened is the best feeling. Bought a few replacement skincare items since I used up everything this week but I have no desire to buy anything else.
Yass Honey DECLUTTER AND DESTRESS. What you don't need bless someone else with it. I need to go through my clothes as well. Im also a bath and body works addict. I love their candles. I have about 20 3 wick. 2015 WILL be a new year for me. Im letting go of some negative coworker friendships or associates. Im working on my cursing. Mst importantly my shopping addiction in all things. My husband told me " You gotta live like u have nothing so that you can have something"..... Also neec to add that i justify all of my purchases by saying " Oh I have a house, a new car, my children are fed and they have plenty. Im never late on any bills..as a matter of fact i can't tell u what my late fee is on my mortgage bc we pay on time." However none of this matters the fact is that i don't need it and its getting ridiculous.

Maris Crane

FOTD... trying to still Shop My Stash and finish stuff up! Chanel VA over Maybelline Baby Skin primer and Bioderma Sensibio AR cream Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage on spots Dior Honey bronzer, MAC Strada blush to contour, ELF Studio Blush in Twinkle Pink Hourglass Ambient Powder in Diffused Light (I've hit pan!) and Neutrogena Shine Control in t-zone UD BOS III: Snatch on lid, Smog in outer corners, and Perversion to set winged gel liner UD WOS as a base/browbone highlight & Naked to blend crease colour INGLOT #77 Gel liner winged Hard Candy Lite Brite concealer and ELF Tone Correcting Powder in Cool to set under eyes Chanel RCS in Evasion and Glossimer in Murmure, a corally-peach Benefit Brow-Zings! in Light & L'oreal Voluminous CB mascara

veronikawithak

Yass Honey DECLUTTER AND DESTRESS. What you don't need bless someone else with it. I need to go through my clothes as well. Im also a bath and body works addict. I love their candles. I have about 20 3 wick. 2015 WILL be a new year for me. Im letting go of some negative coworker friendships or associates. Im working on my cursing. Mst importantly my shopping addiction in all things. My husband told me " You gotta live like u have nothing so that you can have something"..... Also neec to add that i justify all of my purchases by saying " Oh I have a house, a new car, my children are fed and they have plenty. Im never late on any bills..as a matter of fact i can't tell u what my late fee is on my mortgage bc we pay on time." However none of this matters the fact is that i don't need it and its getting ridiculous.
Well said! I'm working on letting go of the negative attachments this year too.

Audrey C

As for purchases, I plan to stick to a 5 item monthly limit again but I'm expanding it this year to include all non-essentials like nail polish, perfume, clothing, shoes, handbags, etc. I have more than I could ever need right now so I should be able to stick to it. I also plan to do a big declutter starting next weekend and get rid of a bunch of clothing and other items I've held onto for a couple years past when I should have let them go.
I think that's a great progression. I think I'm going to figure out a way to limit my own discretionary spending too. This was never a challenge when I was younger because I didn't buy what I couldn't afford; the 'trouble' (nice problem to have) is now I can afford it and I've gotten into the habit of just buying what I want. It doesn't cause financial hardship for me, but that doesn't mean I actually NEED it all.

My weak point this year will be fitness gear. While working out, I'm a sucker for cute running tights, sports bras, shirts/jackets, etc. and there is NO shortage of gorgeous product out there. Clothing doesn't expire, but I don't want to follow the same overbuy pattern I did with makeup. Besides, a ls running shirt and tights can easily cost $175. I returned some items after boxing day, and then bought a bunch of stuff on sale. i ended up getting more than $270 back. I'm going to set a limit for myself that allows me to buy items I love without going crazy. I'm going to have to give those boundaries some thought. My makeup hunger is finally dead, so I'm going to face my next challenge in the low-buy fitness thread.

veronikawithak

I think that's a great progression. I think I'm going to figure out a way to limit my own discretionary spending too. This was never a challenge when I was younger because I didn't buy what I couldn't afford; the 'trouble' (nice problem to have) is now I can afford it and I've gotten into the habit of just buying what I want. It doesn't cause financial hardship for me, but that doesn't mean I actually NEED it all.  My weak point this year will be fitness gear. While working out, I'm a sucker for cute running tights, sports bras, shirts/jackets, etc. and there is NO shortage of gorgeous product out there. It's not makeup, but I don't want to follow the same overbuy pattern I did with makeup. Besides, a ls running shirt and tights can easily cost $175. I returned some items after boxing day, and then bought a bunch of stuff on sale. i ended up getting more than $270 back. I'm going to set a limit for myself that allows me to buy items I love without going crazy. I'm going to have to give those boundaries some thought. My makeup hunger is finally dead, so I'm going to face my next challenge in the low-buy fitness thread.
I think it's helpful to set limits even if it's not a financial issue, just to keep some balance in your life. I did end up going through my closet and got rid of over 5 bags of stuff. My makeup spending has also really died down and I'm focusing on fitness goals more this year too. Once I get back to my regular weight I need to replace some things like bras and workout gear and I may need a few new clothing items too so that's where my spending will be. I also have to travel a bit more this year so money will be going towards that too. Feels good not to have a list of things I want to buy anymore.

B

Buffy89

Yeah I agree buying too much can still be a problem although one can afford stuff easily. The last two months, I radically took all the money that I had not spent when a new pay check arrived, and I started saving it. (Edit: in a seperate place). "Too much" money intrigues me to spend more, and this way it feels as if I was nearly broke (I really ain't), so I pay more attention on my spendings. Keeping all the money on my bank account would rather make me feel wealthy so I'd buy more.

Alysse011

I like hearing about how everyone has done in 2014 with their goals and what the new goals are. I'm still finalizing what I want my 2015 low buy to look like. I am thinking of doing a monthly allowance instead of item numbers. Whatever I decide on, mine will also include items from makeup to clothing that I don't need (vs if I do need clothes for work or what have you) to shoes and nail polish etc. I need to sit down and figure this out. Probably today seeing as it is NYE haha.

veronikawithak

Just remembered to go back and check my Habit Streak app for purchases! I only made one purchase in December of 3 items - a brow gel (replacement), and a lipstick and lipliner (always out of stock at my local store). I'm really happy with how easy this month went by! I haven't made any makeup purchases in 14 days and before that it was 17 days. In total I avoided buying makeup 240/265 days which is about 90% of the time. This year I think I'll try to make my shopping days only 5% of the total, which is about 18 days or 1.5 days per month. I feel like that would work really well for me.. then I can keep a list of things I might want or need and plan my shopping days in advance. That should help me keep to my limit better too since I won't be making any spontaneous trips that I might lose track of. Plus I can make plans to go with a friend and make it a social experience too. :) Excited about this goal. I like things to be specific, it helps me stay motivated. I think I'm going to get some notebooks this afternoon and set out some goals and plans for Project Pan/other challenges. Last year in January I did a challenge where I used every item from my stash at least once within the month. I really enjoyed that and will be doing it again this year if anyone wants to join me!

B

Buffy89

Well done! I gotta have to find a similar app. Seems really helpful and motivating.

karmachameleon

Also neec to add that i justify all of my purchases by saying " Oh I have a house, a new car, my children are fed and they have plenty. Im never late on any bills..as a matter of fact i can't tell u what my late fee is on my mortgage bc we pay on time." However none of this matters the fact is that i don't need it and its getting ridiculous.
It's good to restrain buying and focus on enjoying and using what you have - I think that is one of the secrets of happiness and feeling settled and centred.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I started a new thread here: Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015
cheerleader.gif

Lipstickwh0re

I need a link, please. But I plan to stick to my own guidelines this year for real this time.

Lipsticks only. No backups. Or a limit of 3 items per collection.

Anything outside of MAC unless it's a necessity isn't getting purchased.

Limited edition things aren't included in this rule. But, I don't really purchase too many things from anyone aside from UD and MAC as of late.

I have auto ships set up for moisturizer and mascara. I'm not including them in my low buy either.

jennyap

Awesome! I worked on my closets today too. Filled several bags and purged almost half of what I had. Still a couple of areas to tackle but super pleased with this. I've never been able to let so much go at once before now.
I think that's a great progression. I think I'm going to figure out a way to limit my own discretionary spending too. This was never a challenge when I was younger because I didn't buy what I couldn't afford; the 'trouble' (nice problem to have) is now I can afford it and I've gotten into the habit of just buying what I want. It doesn't cause financial hardship for me, but that doesn't mean I actually NEED it all. 
That is exactly where I am (and DH). We've agreed we aren't going to buy stuff just because we like/want it, it has to be something we need and don't have, are replacing, or has a clearly identified place in our home before buying (for decorative items)

Jennifae

Specktra Bestie
Here's my December update:

MAC: I skipped all MAC collections in December (for the first time ever)! The last collection I purchased from was Heirloom Mix in October.

Sephora: I got the TF Semi-Sweet Palette plus some ABH brow products with my Rewards Cards. I also got the Marsala lipstick and the Bite Beauty Trio that was on sale.

Ulta: I finally bought the LORAC Pro Palette 2 and the Pro To Go Palette I've been eyeing for the longest time. I used my 20% off coupon from Ulta.

It wasn't exactly a low-buy month (3 palettes, 4 lipsticks, and 7 brow products), but I also purged quite a bit in December. I got rid of 12 eyeshadow palettes (containing a total of 118 eyeshadows), 3 single eyeshadows, 12 blushes, 4 bronzers. 1 highlighter, 29 lipsticks, 14 lip glosses, 1 lip liner, 4 eyeliners, 2 makeup bags, and 1 makeup brush.

I hope to do better with my low-buy in 2015. My only goal at this time is to purge (and use up) more and buy less.

jennyap

Ok, time at last for my 2014 round-up. Overall, I stuck to my goals. I gave myself both an item and cash limit, and stayed within both. Yay! It wasn't always easy, but it wasn't as hard as I expected. I did give myself target numbers for individual categories within that, and that's where I failed completely! I bought way more lip products than I'd allowed for (so less of other things to compensate). Mac just really hit me where it hurts in the lipstick category last year - lustres and amplifieds, fuchsias, berries and hot pinks, all my favourites. On reflection I could have bought less still. I picked up half a dozen drugstore items along the way, and have barely touched all but one. So one lesson going forward is no more drugstore stuff unless it's a staple I know for certain I'll use. Other than that though, I have ended up with a selection of products that I really like/love. Onwards to 2015 - well done everyone!

Latest posts