Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2014! Who wants to play?

LV2EVOLVE

I'm going to do inventory again to scare me into low-buy 2015. I still have a ridiculous amount of lipsticks. I'm wanting to do a massive B2M. I did great in 2014 not purchasing a lot of glosses, creams and liquids. But, I'm going to miss all of the unfinished LE products. Time to downsize my lipstick collection :shock: No more Lustres 2015 in my collection. I can't stand that they go bad so quickly.

B

Buffy89

Eventually, I've made some kind of inventory list for my lip products. I simply counted them and tried to find color "headlines" to follow. Since being suitable for everyday is my main criteria now when it comes to picking lip products, I also put shades like Mac Syrup or Angel on my neutrals list instead of labelling them berry or light pink. Lipsticks: total:85 Reds: 10 Pinks: 28 Neutrals/shades suitable for work etc.: 26 Purples: 4 Berry toned/Plum: 13 Coral/Peachy tones: 4 Lipgloss (total:39) Red: 3 Bright Pink: 5 Neutrals: 15 Berry/Purple-ish shades: 6 Coral /Peach: 4 Clear: 3 Dazzleglass/Glitter: 3 Needless to say that my resolution is staying far, far away from purchasing more lip products. Although I don't even really like the way gloss feels on the lips, I got wayyyy to many of them. I hope I can use those I got as good as possible before they expire. Also, I always thought berry lips were my favorite, but why do I own such a freaking amount of pinks, most of them flashy/hot, and also too many reds ( concerning my habits, a single red lipstick would be totally fine). I'm a little overwhelmed by the numbers I've counted now. When I still might want to get a new lipstick in 2015, it's either gonna be super duper special AND wearable or via B2M. I guess achieving a pretty small stash is utopic since I'm not really into purging (I really like everything I own anyways), but preventing my stash from growing and not neglecting anything/i.e. using everything I own are goals which seem really important to me right now. Edit: the last time I bought a lip product was in November, so I'll have a little competition with myself, trying to buy no lip stuff for at least half a year, or even longer of course.

LV2EVOLVE

Eventually, I've made some kind of inventory list for my lip products. I simply counted them and tried to find color "headlines" to follow. Since being suitable for everyday is my main criteria now when it comes to picking lip products, I also put shades like Mac Syrup or Angel on my neutrals list instead of labelling them berry or light pink. Lipsticks: total:85 Reds: 10 Pinks: 28 Neutrals/shades suitable for work etc.: 26 Purples: 4 Berry toned/Plum: 13 Coral/Peachy tones: 4 Lipgloss (total:39) Red: 3 Bright Pink: 5 Neutrals: 15 Berry/Purple-ish shades: 6 Coral /Peach: 4 Clear: 3 Dazzleglass/Glitter: 3 Needless to say that my resolution is staying far, far away from purchasing more lip products. Although I don't even really like the way gloss feels on the lips, I got wayyyy to many of them. I hope I can use those I got as good as possible before they expire. Also, I always thought berry lips were my favorite, but why do I own such a freaking amount of pinks, most of them flashy/hot, and also too many reds ( concerning my habits, a single red lipstick would be totally fine). I'm a little overwhelmed by the numbers I've counted now. When I still might want to get a new lipstick in 2015, it's either gonna be super duper special AND wearable or via B2M. I guess achieving a pretty small stash is utopic since I'm not really into purging (I really like everything I own anyways), but preventing my stash from growing and not neglecting anything/i.e. using everything I own are goals which seem really important to me right now. Edit: the last time I bought a lip product was in November, so I'll have a little competition with myself, trying to buy no lip stuff for at least half a year, or even longer of course.
I'm afraid to even attempt to count. I love lippies the most. But, I'm noticing there just isn't enough uniqueness in either the color or packaging amongst companies lately. Mac is going to be the most difficult company to avoid in 2015 if they keep rolling out the mattes alone.

B

Buffy89

I'm afraid to even attempt to count. I love lippies the most.
counting was really eye opening for me, I had no idea how many lippies I really own. I guessed I had maybe 50 lippies and 15 glosses, I was totally wrong.

tirurit

can't stand that they go bad so quickly.
icon_eek.gif

Dammit I need to check mine!

ellemarie

I need to make an official goal of this. My dream is just buy a few items at a certain window every 4-6 months. I want to sell off all my MAC eye shadow palettes because they make me feel guilty about buying other things. I will make a list and start culling at the beginning of the year.

LV2EVOLVE

counting was really eye opening for me, I had no idea how many lippies I really own. I guessed I had maybe 50 lippies and 15 glosses, I was totally wrong.
Omg! You're making me want to count, but my daughter is officially a toddler now and will "reorganize" my stash. I just noticed Mac's Giambattista Valli collection. Eek eek! That might be a total fail for me. I like the packaging of the lippies already. It reminds me of some of the Flormar lippie packaging in an odd way.

LV2EVOLVE

I need to make an official goal of this. My dream is just buy a few items at a certain window every 4-6 months. I want to sell off all my MAC eye shadow palettes because they make me feel guilty about buying other things. I will make a list and start culling at the beginning of the year. 
People will buy them. When I B2Med old LE glosses a MUA went coocoo. She gave me her number so that I would swap them with her. I was like no that's just gross.

veronikawithak

Just had a browse through the MAC threads and beauty blogs to see what's coming up.. a whole lot of nothing for me it looks like. The packaging and colors are all a little over the top for my taste. I liked the minimalist, nude looks of last year. Of course I'm happy about that since I won't need to exercise my restraint very much to skip! ;) Still only interested in one of the Hourglass eyeshadow palettes and that's it really. That will end up being my birthday present to myself. No makeup or cosmetic-related gift cards for me this year either so no temptation there! I have a few B2M items I can get but I plan on saving those until I use up more of my lip products. I'm almost finished my Bite set of lipglosses from last April but I have quite a few others I need to get to. I need to work on lipsticks too.. Basically this will be the Year of Using Things Up.. As for purchases, I plan to stick to a 5 item monthly limit again but I'm expanding it this year to include all non-essentials like nail polish, perfume, clothing, shoes, handbags, etc. I have more than I could ever need right now so I should be able to stick to it. I also plan to do a big declutter starting next weekend and get rid of a bunch of clothing and other items I've held onto for a couple years past when I should have let them go.

tirurit

That is a pity that they make you feel bad about yourself. I would not want to presume, but, what is your objective? Do you use your palettes? Will you be buying more eyeshadows to substitute teh ones that you will let go?

Personally, I've let go a few items, but it was because either I did not use them at all (convenience) or because the quality was poorer than other items I owned

SleepingBeauty

So, end of the year - time to confess!

Here's what I wrote at the end of 2013 in cursive and what the situation is like now:

I tried to do a low-buy this year, but I failed miserably. The thing is that sometimes I don't buy anything in, like, 2 or 3 weeks and I'm completely happy with it. However, most of the time I get frustrated and unhappy if I can't buy anything (mainly because I'm usually broke
whistle.gif
) and this is what really frightens me. A few weeks ago I didn't have any money left for makeup, so I hadn't bought anything in 3 weeks, and I became really frustrated and angry. It got better when I got to MAC and bought a lipstick (that I didn't really need, let's be honest).

I did work on that and I'm not pissed anymore when I can't afford something right away. There were actually a few months this year I barely bought makeup and I was okay with that.

I definitely need to work on that. I'd be kidding if I thought I could do a 360 and change completely; that's not even what I want. I just want to buy less makeup and focus more on clothing and, if it has to be makeup, high end and not drugstore makeup (which does nothing for me; I'll just use it for a couple of times and then forget about it). I want to spend my money on high quality clothes and shoes - currently I'm saving money for a Michael Kors handbag - most of his bags are not that expensive but nevertheless I need to save a decent amount of money.

cheerleader.gif
I was finally able to not buy one but two Michael Kors handbags which I've wanted for two years now! And I've spent some money on better quality shoes and clothes. And jewellery. I'd rather have few but real jewellery instead of lots of fake jewellery. Nothing's wrong with costume jewellery but I'm allergic to most of those earrings anyway, and I also like jewellery that means something. I bought a Tiffany bracelet when I was in Berlin this year and bought some of their earrings for myself for Christmas. Now, every time I wear them I think of Berlin or that I gave myself a quite nice present this Christmas.
Drugstore makeup is off the list. Can't even remember the last time I was interested in something.

Anyway - I don't want to buy any more eyeshadows and I need to stop hoarding lipsticks asap! I don't know what happended to me - I've always been a lipgloss-kind-of-girl but over the past few years lipsticks have slowly become my favourite. I'm only going to buy one if I'm sure I will wear it on a regular basis (That's why I haven't bought Rebel yet. I'm so in love with the colour, yet I don't know if I can pull it off and if I'll even wear it at all.). I also should stop buying blushes and nail polish, even though I'm not a nail polish hoarder. I've problably got about 20-25 nail polishes which is enough for me. The same goes for skincare. No problem there. Only with makeup.
As I said; I don't want to stop buying completely (wouldn't work anyway, LOL) - I just need to buy less.

Ah, well... Now to the real confessions. I couldn't stop buying lipsticks and eyeshadows. I bought less eyeshadows, though, but I didn't completely stop. The funny thing is that I was doing soooo well throughout the year and started falling off the waggon just a few weeks ago. I also couldn't keep my hands from new lipsticks. I love lipsticks! If there's any beauty product I can't live without (except for foundation and such) it's definitely lipsticks! Oh, and I bought Rebel, by the way, and I freaking love it. It's actually my favourite colour ever from MAC. I'm just not wearing it that much because it's too bold for uni and work.
I didn't shop a lot of nailpolishes this year, though, so I guess this is somewhat of a success.
Skincare and the likes: all good. Bought a new face moisturizer recently which cost me an arm and a leg (50€ actually) but I really love it so far. I had a sample of it in my advent calendar, so I could try it out before spending so much money on it.

I'm thinking about setting up a drawer or something where I can put my makeup in and change the products on a weekly basis because I've got so many products that I haven't used in weeks or even months and that needs to change.

Yeah... Didn't do that. No space, no patience. I use what I like and if that happens to be the same lipstick for two weeks, so be it.

Oh, before I'll forget it: I emptied my Satin Taupe and Patina which I bought three years ago! I'm really happy about that 'cause emptying eyeshadows usually takes a lot of time.

So... I still have a long way to go but this year wasn't as bad as last year and I hope 2015 will be even better makeup-wise. I wish all of you a successful and happy 2015 and may the wings of your eyeliner always be even!
flower.gif

ellemarie

That is a pity that they make you feel bad about yourself. I would not want to presume, but, what is your objective? Do you use your palettes? Will you be buying more eyeshadows to substitute teh ones that you will let go?

Personally, I've let go a few items, but it was because either I did not use them at all (convenience) or because the quality was poorer than other items I owned
I don't use them at all, really. I look at them and see money I threw away on stuff I barely used. I currently have a Marc Jacobs palette, a Too Faced palette, two Naked palettes, and a few other odds and ends. The MAC doesn't even tempt me anymore.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Possibly final FOTD for this year: * mix of Maybelline Fit Me! Foundation - #110 + MAC (Studio) Face and Body - White * OCC Skin Conceal - mix of Y0 and Y1 * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * Victoria's Secret Eyeshadow - Bunny * MAC Blush - Next to Skin (as a crease colour) * MAC Pigment - Naked (lid) * Sephora Waterproof Contour Eyeliner Pencil - Park Avenue * Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * OCC Creme Colour Concentrate - John Doe (contour) * MAC Lipstick - Up the Amp

Glitteryvegas

@mel33t - been thinking about you work situation, that sucks! Not really an easy way out of that one. You mentioned you are just going to stick it out for the time being - how are you feeling about it now?

So I took my inventory over the last few days and WHEW it's a crazy job as you ladies know.

Between July 2014-Dec. 2014 I purchased 42 items. I got rid of 108 items so far (throwing away, selling, giving away).

Some of the items that I got rid of were tiny shadows (depotted UD palettes, etc). But in the scheme of things, it's getting rid of stuff. I felt like an idiot, just chucking stuff away. Some stuff I'd been procrastinating getting rid of - like liquid eyeliners, cream shadows - things that I knew were not good any more, but I just couldn't get rid of for whatever reason. Luckily some stuff had gone 'off' so it was an easy throw away this time. I have a huge B2M pile now, but I'm just going to hold on to these items. I'm so tempted to run out there and grab something. But I'm not going to.

I think for me 2013 was a crazy year for shopping. This year was a bit more subdued but still not admirable. Trying to balance the fun side of makeup (for creating unique looks, etc) with functionality is sometimes hard. I'm slowly getting there. I checked my palettes vs. single shadows to get rid of the singles. How many sparkly blacks do I need? Ughh.

In other news, hubs and I are gearing up for our year of minimalism. Going to take the next few days to work out the details and get the blog up and running.

Trying to stay positive about 2014 - what did I accomplish this year? I lost 30 pounds - the most weight I've ever lost at once. (Haven't weighed myself since a few weeks before Xmas - who wants to do that lol?!) I started getting serious about getting rid of possessions and friendships that aren't serving my life. I enjoyed being active and going out into my community for activities. I got a job at the beginning of the year, but the transition into that job has been hard. Some successes here to celebrate!

What things are you most proud of from 2014? What goals do you have (makeup or otherwise) for 2015? I'd love to hear them and I'm sure everyone else would too! xo
cheerleader.gif

tirurit

@Glitteryvegas sounds like you have acomplished quite a few things this year! Bravo!

Please let us know about your blog when you set it up so we can follow your "adventures in minimalism" ;)

B

Buffy89

It's so great to read about everybody's success in 2014! I've been looking at a lot of swatch pics of lightness of being lately and I ordered Petfect Topping in the last few minutes. Since I'm still on holiday at my parents' house, driving to the next counter would take an hour (one way) and I'm kinda lazy and don't wanna go, plus the roads are slippery at the moment due to the weather. Although I prefer swatching IRL and planned to avoid shopping online , this way I can have the product I want most, and I simply won't go to the counter at all/skip further swatching which might result in further buying. It's a geeky compromise, but this time it's okay I guess.

B

Buffy89

@Glitteryvegas  sounds like you have acomplished quite a few things this year! Bravo! Please let us know about your blog when you set it up so we can follow your "adventures in minimalism" ;)
Oh yes, I'm really interested as well! By the way, I came across your blog, tirurit, and it's really nice! One of those beauty blogs that don't enable me all the time to get shiny new stuff, but one that's helpful for low buyers!

tirurit

By the way, I came across your blog, tirurit, and it's really nice! One of those beauty blogs that don't enable me all the time to get shiny new stuff, but one that's helpful for low buyers!
Wow @Buffy89 danke schön! Specially since it is so new that it still smells of paint! hehe
Well, I have been embracing the decluttering spirit even if not so much the no buy. I am getting rid of things, trying to be more selective in my purchases (no unlimited funds for one!!) and I thought, hey! some might enjoy reading about that! So I jumped practically without looking first! ;)

mommyluvsmac

Im going on a no buy in 2015. I can't remember all of my inventory numbers ( i have them wrote down in a notebook and im at work so i can't look at it) but i do know that i have 135 lippies I think 72 are Mac and i know 15 are the new Nars audacious lipsticks. I have 28 blushes. Im sad about all of this stuff and id never tell anyone about this outside of this community. I will be going through these and seeing which ones i can finish off in 2015. Girls wish me luck!!!

Latest posts