Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2014! Who wants to play?

shellygrrl

Staff member
I don't know if this could be a trigger, or what brands you're interested in, but in the last 3-6 months I've been finding lots of Ardell lashes at my local dollar store. I know Ardell in the grand scheme of things aren't priced as high as like, Esquido lashes but $1 is better than $5 or $6 CDN. 
Not a trigger for me. :) I've used Ardell before (I have a pair of 301s and recently tossed a pair of Demures), as well as Andrea (practically the same thing as Ardell). I've done some looking around online and found a few pairs I like; it's just a matter of ordering them.

tirurit

I've shifted my process for shopping for clothing recently as well, largely due to Project 333 I think. I've really enjoyed doing that the past couple of months. Now when I purchase something I don't think about the individual pieces, I think about how they fit in my wardrobe. My new rule is that I have to be able to think of 3 different outfits I could make with it or I don't get it. Occasionally I'll buy a piece that I might need to buy something else to make it work, but I'm okay with that as long as it's not often. For example, I just purchased some burgundy jeans and most of my tops are colored as well so I'll have to get a couple more neutral shirts to go with them. That kind of benefits my whole closet though since I can make sure the shirts will match my other bottoms too.
I loooove this idea. I am guilty of buying clothes because they are beautiful and then I realize I can only wear it with that skirt or those trousers *facepalm*

tirurit

I thought that I was doing not bad but recently I was confronted with reality: I am doing better but I could be doing MUCH better!

I don't buy online that much, so most of my purchases are made in store. I tend to favour cash instead of using the card so basically I have no purchase history and no bank statement over which to flag myself. But that has changed.

Recently I started a blog (I am buying the make up so why not share?) and holy shit, I have been writing drafts and planning future posts and I realized how many "essential" "isn't it so pretty?" things I end with. I have cut down MAC LE collections, but other brands seem to still find its way home :x

So for me, writing about the make up has been what has forced me to open my eyes to certain behaviour

Glitteryvegas

HOLA LADIES!

I am going to go through and read your posts over the next few days - I haven't been on in a few months, so I have a lot to catch up on!

I've been thinking of you lots, even though I haven't been online with you. You all inspire me, even from far away.

Things have been going okay over here. I am doing better with not shopping for makeup, but unfortunately I'm still shopping for other things a lot. I love candles, books, jewellery...the list goes on. I went to Seattle this past weekend and went to CCO, but didn't buy anything! And I only bought two eyeshadows and an eyeliner at Nordstrom's Rack :) So I'll call that a victory! Nordstrom's Rack is insane! I can't get enough! ahhhh!

I love reading your revised visions for 2015 as 2014 draws for a close. For me personally, this year has been enlightening and I've really reflected on many, many issues and things going on in my life. I know 2015 will be a continuation of that. I really admire those of you who blogged on here regularly and kept us in the loop. I need to stay in this chat because it's good for me and benefits me in so many areas of my life, not just shopping.

Fortunately, The Year of Know starts Jan 2015 so we are gearing up for that over here. That's my life experiment in buying less, living more, and acquiring new skills. It honestly couldn't come soon enough but I'm going to focus on being in the moment this holiday season with my loved ones.

I truly hope you ladies and gents are doing well, feeling positive and uplifted, and buying less (buying 'better' I should say!).

I'll be back soon Ladiezzzz! Hope you're in the Festive spirit! Love to you all!

Glitteryvegas

I also forgot to mention that although products came in this year (more than my 30 allotment - I will count tonight and post my findings), I got rid of a lot of things (giving away especially! but also throwing out!).

This is a huge victory for me personally, as years before I would avoid throwing things out that needed to go 'just in case' I needed it, etc.

cheerleader.gif

shellygrrl

Staff member
:wave: GV! Went downstate today, which included a small spot of shopping. I mainly bought clothes; only a couple of makeup-related bits came home with me: a beautyblender dupe from Kohl's (at 40% off, no less!), and Anastasia Brow Powder Duo in Ash Brown from Ulta. (While there I did a spot of swatching for future reference.) Very simple FOTD... * It Cosmetics YSBB CC Cream - Fair * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * OCC Skin Conceal - Y0 * MAC Eyeshadow - Smut (brows) * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * Smashbox Eyeshadow - Vanilla * BareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara - Black * lip balm

Glitteryvegas

th_thb5ed765e.gif
Hello @shellygrrl! How've you been lady!?

I love my beautyblender thingy, it's amazing. Does such a great job! And I've heard great things about Anatasia's brow powder - do let us know your thoughts on it!

xo

Audrey C

Hello all,

I've had no trouble at all not buying makeup; I'm not even tempted because I have more than enough and I did so much purging this year that I'm mostly down to items I really enjoy. I know I'll get a couple of the Spring Guerlain items, but I have enough Shoppers points that I won't have to pay for them. Apart from that, I'm not even monitoring what's coming out.

I did spend a tidy sum on new running shoes and fitness gear (particularly winter run items that I had none of), but quite a few of them are Christmas/birthday gifts and I'm fine with what I spent. Unlike makeup, these are items I can use until they're worn out; they don't expire. I've registered for a 5k Resolution Run on New Year's Eve; I'm doing it with my daughters.

I probably won't be around a lot in the coming year; I'm finished my cycle, I think. I went through something similar in my late teens/early 20s where I bought a lot of makeup (not as much as I have now, but a lot given my young income) and then spent a decade getting through a lot of the powder items. Given that I use clean brushes, I don't get rid of blush/eyeshadows after 2 years. I think I'm there again.

We're planning a big family trip to Australia for next summer and I'd rather divert discretionary spending to that than to makeup at this point. I have all the stuff I need; I'm more interested in creating memories with my family. Two of my children are in university and will likely be on their own in under five years. I want to enjoy some concentrated family time with them before they strike out on their own paths; it's harder to spend a chunk of time together after that's happened.

Hope everyone is happy and healthy and that you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!
bouquet.gif

Maris Crane

I have my team Christmas Dinner today, but I had some banked time off so I took off from work so I'm just going to the dinner. However, I feel like posting my (planned) FOTN:

Bioderma Sensibio AR cream (I finished my last tube yesterday!) & Maybelline Baby Skin on my nose for primers
Armani Master Corrector No. 1 under eyes
Tom Ford Traceless Liquid foundation
Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage concealer
LORAC Behind the Scenes eye primer - I got a sample of this from my PRO palette and I'm trying to use it
MAC Bare Study paint pot as a base
Stila In the Light palette: Buff on browbone, Bliss in crease/to blend, Kitten on lid, Gilded Gold in outer corners
INGLOT #77 Gel liner winged
YSL Touche Eclat under eyes (trying to finish this up!) with ELF Tone Correcting Powder in Cool to set that
Bourjois Bronzing Primer and Benefit Hoola to deepen
Tom Ford Frantic Pink blush
Hourglass Diffused Light Ambient Powder
Benefit Brow-Zings! in 01 Light
Too Faced Better than Sex mascara
MAC lipstick in Lovelorn

lyseD

So my low buy did not go too well in 2014.
shrugs.gif

I'm thinking of buying fewer make up products in 2015 and instead getting some new brushes. Maybe one brush a month.

Suggestions about where to start?

Thanks for your help.

tirurit

So my low buy did not go too well in 2014.
shrugs.gif

I'm thinking of buying fewer make up products in 2015 and instead getting some new brushes. Maybe one brush a month.

Suggestions about where to start?

Thanks for your help.
Be warned that I have been flailing for two days now, but I just received my wayne goss collection brushes and I just bought the laura mercier holiday brushes (unlike mac, they are all as good as regular ones) and I am completely in love. Right now I feel like I don't need any other brushes at all LOL

So my advice, after having acumulated many mid-price and low-price brushes is to go for the ones with good quality and save yourself some money!

shellygrrl

Staff member
:xmas:   Hello @shellygrrl !  How've you been lady!?  I love my beautyblender thingy, it's amazing.  Does such a great job!   And I've heard great things about Anatasia's brow powder - do let us know your thoughts on it!   xo
I've been well, thanks! :kiss: Weird thing is, the beautyblender (original/brand-name one) was on my list for next year. But when I saw the dupe in Kohl's, and that it was on sale (usually $6, down to $3.90), I didn't think I could go wrong, so I snagged it. Win-win, IMO. I'll take photos and post swatches of the brow duo in the Anastasia thread when I get the chance. The one I got was Ash Brown, which is pretty new, I think. I didn't find any swatches online, so it'll be good for others who are curious. :bouquet:
So my low buy did not go too well in 2014. :shrugs: I'm thinking of buying fewer make up products in 2015 and instead getting some new brushes. Maybe one brush a month. Suggestions about where to start? Thanks for your help.
I'm focusing a bit on brushes next year, myself. Here's what I've done... I took an inventory of my current brush collection and wrote down what I like or dislike about each, plus how I use it. Then I noted if I want to keep it, whether or not I want to back it up (if I really like it), and/or if I want to replace it or find another use for it. From there I did the online version of window shopping: I looked around various websites -- mainly ones of brands (or that sell brands) I use and like already, as well as brands I want to try out -- to find shapes I want, be it shapes that I don't have to fill gaps, or even shapes I do have but may want in another size. Or shapes and densities that I think may serve a particular need or want better than what I already own. Also: I watched brush reviews on Youtube, centred on those brands that I want to look into (in my case, Hakuhodo, Chikuhodo, and Rae Morris). The more in-depth, the better, IMO. Since my only buying option is online, this sort of thing is an immense help. In-depth, written brush reviews on blogs have also been useful to me. (Also useful: the Brush Temple at sweetmakeuptemptations.com; Sonia's got a massive collection of makeup brushes with reviews and comparisons.)

lyseD

Thanks for your help.
I'm focusing a bit on brushes next year, myself. Here's what I've done...

I took an inventory of my current brush collection and wrote down what I like or dislike about each, plus how I use it. Then I noted if I want to keep it, whether or not I want to back it up (if I really like it), and/or if I want to replace it or find another use for it.

From there I did the online version of window shopping: I looked around various websites -- mainly ones of brands (or that sell brands) I use and like already, as well as brands I want to try out -- to find shapes I want, be it shapes that I don't have to fill gaps, or even shapes I do have but may want in another size. Or shapes and densities that I think may serve a particular need or want better than what I already own.

Also: I watched brush reviews on Youtube, centred on those brands that I want to look into (in my case, Hakuhodo, Chikuhodo, and Rae Morris). The more in-depth, the better, IMO. Since my only buying option is online, this sort of thing is an immense help. In-depth, written brush reviews on blogs have also been useful to me. (Also useful: the Brush Temple at sweetmakeuptemptations.com; Sonia's got a massive collection of makeup brushes with reviews and comparisons.)
Thanks. Some really great ideas to find the right brushes.

veronikawithak

I received my two outstanding orders from November in the mail today so I did my final downsizing of the year! I got rid of dupes, items expiring at the end of the year, and anything I haven't used in the past 6 months or don't plan to use next year. I was surprised by how many eyeshadows I still had that I don't ever use..

- 12 MAC eyeshadow singles (30 pressed shadows left, including those in palettes + 1 loose mineral shadow)
- 1 MAC mini pigment (0 pigments left)
- 3 mini mascaras (1 full size and 1 mini left)
- 3 eyeliners (1 left)

In my orders today there were a few deluxe 2g samples from a Black Friday promo that I didn't ask for and aren't really my colors.. and instead of trying them on anyway like I normally would, I decided to pass them on unused so someone else can enjoy them fresh. Seems trivial but it was a step for me.

I needed to replace my brow gel since it's completely gone so I ordered a MAC one and tacked on a lipliner and lipstick that I've been trying to get in store for months but they're always out of stock. Now no more lipsticks for me for a long time unless they're B2M!

I think that's it for this year! Even though I purchased more than I planned to in the past few weeks I felt really great about it all. Now that I'm not so focused on MAC/Sephora I've been able to branch out and try other brands and have found some things I really love. And I've been good about only getting one color from a range and being happy with it. Usually if I really like a line I tend to want to go out and get multiples right away but not anymore. Progress, not perfection!

Hope everyone has a lovely holiday season!! I'll probably keep up with the thread over the break but I don't think I'll have much news. Hopefully the next time I have an update it will be that I've finished something up rather than purchased something!
dance.gif
I've also decided that I definitely do not need the NARS dual intensity palette so the next (and only) thing on my list is the Hourglass eyeshadow palette that I've been lusting over for months.

mel33t

I have a very strong need to go shipping right now for makeup, clothes, whatever. I'm hoping that by typing it out I'll feel better. My stomach is full of butterflies, and not the good kind. Last night my boss made an announcement at our holiday party (we are a small company of seven people. A CPA firm, I'm one of two full time accountants and want my own firm and the CPA). He explained he was offered an opportunity he couldn't refuse. We are becoming a franchise of H&R Block. Its a good opportunity for him. He's going to get business and we are going to be the only CPA firm in NYC working with Block. Its exciting. But incredibly scary for me. Block has a horrible reputation. We have a good reputation, I have a reputation. If I put H&R on my resume, on my card, etc., that's death for an accountant. I'm only 27 and I want my own firm and my employer knows this. I feel like he pulled the rug out from under me. There's horror stories of becoming a franchise. My employer says that we will still be in control, it will still be us.. But I dono. That's not really how franchises work. I'm upset because it means I have to leave this place, which I've really enjoyed working at. I really like my boss and we work amazing together. This is what I want to do. I know its just a name and its just a job and there will be more. But I just felt like I finally found a good place here and it sucks to have the rug pulled out from under you. Okay, rant over. Not going to buy. If you read everything, you're awesome.

awickedshape

I have a very strong need to go shipping right now for makeup, clothes, whatever. I'm hoping that by typing it out I'll feel better. My stomach is full of butterflies, and not the good kind. Last night my boss made an announcement at our holiday party (we are a small company of seven people. A CPA firm, I'm one of two full time accountants and want my own firm and the CPA). He explained he was offered an opportunity he couldn't refuse. We are becoming a franchise of H&R Block. Its a good opportunity for him. He's going to get business and we are going to be the only CPA firm in NYC working with Block. Its exciting. But incredibly scary for me. Block has a horrible reputation. We have a good reputation, I have a reputation. If I put H&R on my resume, on my card, etc., that's death for an accountant. I'm only 27 and I want my own firm and my employer knows this. I feel like he pulled the rug out from under me. There's horror stories of becoming a franchise. My employer says that we will still be in control, it will still be us.. But I dono. That's not really how franchises work. I'm upset because it means I have to leave this place, which I've really enjoyed working at. I really like my boss and we work amazing together. This is what I want to do. I know its just a name and its just a job and there will be more. But I just felt like I finally found a good place here and it sucks to have the rug pulled out from under you. Okay, rant over. Not going to buy. If you read everything, you're awesome.
Oh, that's a difficult spot to be in. I hope things work out in your favour.

Mimi702

If you read everything, you're awesome.
Sorry to hear this Mel
ssad.gif

Will your company be taking on the H&R name completely & merge or will it still be it's own CPA comp working with H&R..?
My friend had this happen to her but her company kept their name & merging with the other, hopefully it will be the later for you and then you can still use your company's name on your resume instead of having to use the H&R one.

Hey at least you got to rant either way.
smiles.gif

mel33t

Oh, that's a difficult spot to be in. I hope things work out in your favour.
Sorry to hear this Mel :(   Will your company be taking on the H&R name completely & merge or will it still be it's own CPA comp working with H&R..? My friend had this happen to her but her company kept their name & merging with the other, hopefully it will be the later for you and then you can still use your company's name on your resume instead of having to use the H&R one.  Hey at least you got to rant either way. :)
From what my boss says, for the first two years it'll be us. Then we'll officially be a subsidiary. Two years is a while and a lot could happen. I'm going to see how it pans out after this tax season. Thanks :)

DarylandCarole

I read everything, and I understand. What you have on your resume is important, so things that you have no control over IS scary. I'm hoping that it won't be as bad as the rumors or that you find something else that you like. I would also be anxious about the change and want to buy something to feel better. But you have probably already told yourself that you don't need to do that and you'll feel better if you save your money. I'm not sure if this would help, sometimes I go online and add things to a wish list, but don't buy it. I tell myself I'll go back to it later and narrow it down. Sometimes I forget all about it. But at the time, it makes me feel better and distracts my mind.

shellygrrl

Staff member
:support: I think it's a good idea to see what happens and go from there.