Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2014! Who wants to play?

veronikawithak

I would guess nars siberia would work for you because I'm very pale but that one was too pale even for me, I got Nars sheer glow foundation in Mont blanc =)
I thought about Mont Blanc or Gobi but I think those would lean too much pink or yellow, and Deauville would probably be too dark. Hopefully Siberia will finally be "the one"!

kanne

Has anybody ordered from kissandmakeupny.com before? I'm trying to avoid paying inflated Australian prices for NARS products and the online reviews are VERY mixed.

IHughes

It seems like the NARSissist eyeshadow palette might not be as good as it seems quality wise so I may skip!

User38

I have quite a few of the es in the palette so I am not tempted in the slightest. The pans are huge too and will not be used up in my lifetime.

calicandee

I agree 100% with PixieDancer! I tried to use up my least favorites too but I realized life's too short to look mediocre when you have products that make you look stunning! And I bet you'll realize that once you get rid of all the duds you'll be able to create a lot more looks with the loves that are left even though there are less products in total.
I find if I can delay purchases for a few days the desire slowly diminishes. I tend to want to shop when I'm bored or as a reward for something positive/comfort for something negative (covering all bases lol!). Maybe put it on a list and wait a week or so to see if you really still want it? Or make a rule that you have to use EVERY neutral eyeshadow you have in your collection at least once before you buy it? That one is a real wake-up call!! Lol.
001_unsure.gif
I found the colors really similar to other neutral palettes and also the swatches on Temptalia looked pretty terrible. HTH.
Great point, wait it out and see if its still necessary. I too will find any excuse to justify my purchase (sad, happy, bored, rewarding myself, etc.).

IHughes

Skip it. The quality just isn't there IMO. Not worth the money or the hype. Enjoy all your existing neutrals... sounds like you have a great selection! And btw... NOTHING is "the matter with you"... we all understand where you're coming from. It's the mindset of a makeup lover/addict. You are in the right place to try to keep it under control and in perspective.  Oh trust me, I know how hard it is to let things go. Especially if it's a LE item that was hard to obtain and others are loving. You go through that period where you just think YOU'RE the problem. That you aren't applying it right, or need a different liner or brush to make it work... all the little things we tell ourselves when we are trying to justify keeping something that (let's face it) just isn't right for you. That's the whole point of having different finishes, shades, undertones, etc. Not every beautiful LE item will work on everyone. So even though it's hard, let it go. Swap it, sell it, B2M it, return it... whatever you need to do. Don't save a place for it in your collection. Your pretty face deserves your nicest makeup! use it. Enjoy it. Figuring out what looks best on us is the first step at curbing overspending. You'll never figure that out if your forcing products on yourself that don't work. Go rock all your BEST makeup hun!! I agree!! Skip, skip, skip!
Thanks for the advice Pixidancer, I think I'm going to take notice of you. I had a close look at Chatterbox today (one of the lipsticks I hate as it leaves a line where my lips meet for some reason). Even though I've been trying to use it as much as possible it's still almost the original size!! So I'm going to stop trying to use it and use the lipsticks I like instead!

allthingsglam

Great idea! I am not to big on the limited edition items. I just go in phases of buying way too much. So for me I will try to cut down my buying to one or two items a month (or something like that). Also only buying if I truly need something or if it is an item I do not own anything similar to. I am going to make a point to use things up! Wish you all the best!
My problem is I love le product most of my mac and other makeup collection is le if I can get out if the le habit I will be okay lol

Lipstickwh0re

So far, I have 2 things purchased that aren't necessities:

Punk Couture lipstick
Urban Decay Double Ended Pencil, Naked 3

On my list:

Viva Glam Rhianna x2
Urban Decay Zodiac nail polish
Urban Decay Rule 34 lipgloss.
Kaoir Envy Us lipstick
Melt Cosmetics DGAF
Vice 2
NARS Exhibit A
The Malificent lipsticks

veronikawithak

Quote: Originally Posted by lyseD Mom just told me she sent some money.
eeksign.gif
help me not go crazy on the flower collection.

Clam down, chowder!
nonono.gif
We haven't even seen a color story or swatches yet! Haha did that help?

On a more serious note, maybe now is a good time to set some concrete goals? I saw from an earlier post that you wanted to lower your purchases from last year, so maybe pick a total for the year and divide it up so you have an item limit per collection, month, or season? Is there anything really unique that you don't already have multiples of? Could you spend the money on something you'd like or use more (not necessarily makeup!)?

You can do it! There's still lots of time to talk yourself out of going crazy before it launches.

kerry-jane88

Clam down, chowder! :nono: We haven't even seen a color story or swatches yet! Haha did that help? On a more serious note, maybe now is a good time to set some concrete goals? I saw from an earlier post that you wanted to lower your purchases from last year, so maybe pick a total for the year and divide it up so you have an item limit per collection, month, or season? Is there anything really unique that you don't already have multiples of? Could you spend the money on something you'd like or use more (not necessarily makeup!)? You can do it! There's still lots of time to talk yourself out of going crazy before it launches.
I agree that its useful to list other things you need/want to do so youve got something other than makeup to focus on.

veronikawithak

I read an article recently that might help anyone who's struggling (myself included), based on a study of new years resolutions. Here is a summary of the 5 tips for staying on track:

1. Find a way to enjoy yourself - if you hate it, you probably won't stick with it.
2. Be specific. Focus on how you want to achieve your goals, not the end result.
3. Be real. Don't set the bar so high that you get discouraged.
4. Be patient. Habits are formed slowly and through small steps!
5. Don't be too hard on yourself. Setbacks are normal and perfectly okay - use them to think about what you need to do differently to succeed in the future.

Hope this helps someone!
cheerleader.gif
Go Team Low-Buy!

kanne

Fell down with a splat this weekend after some very long night shifts - post-night shift is a very dangerous time for my wallet (not the first time this has happened)! Anyway, I ordered a few Real Techniques brushes from iherb and some Sigma brushes as well (E25, E52, F15) - those copper ferrules got me. I guess I can cross the MAC brushes from my list, and they're all things I will definitely use, I just wasn't planning on spending that money this week. Note to self: hide wallet after night shift.

PixieDancer

I read an article recently that might help anyone who's struggling (myself included), based on a study of new years resolutions. Here is a summary of the 5 tips for staying on track:

1. Find a way to enjoy yourself - if you hate it, you probably won't stick with it.
2. Be specific. Focus on how you want to achieve your goals, not the end result.
3. Be real. Don't set the bar so high that you get discouraged.
4. Be patient. Habits are formed slowly and through small steps!
5. Don't be too hard on yourself. Setbacks are normal and perfectly okay - use them to think about what you need to do differently to succeed in the future.

Hope this helps someone!
cheerleader.gif
Go Team Low-Buy!
That's awesome!! And without knowing this info... we've all sort of put a lot of this together as a team... so that's so cool!
I think this thread is part of "find a way to enjoy yourself" for me!!
We all realized very early on that being specific about our own personal goal was of PRIME IMPORTANCE!! So, I stress to everyone to do that if you still haven't.

Thanks for posting this veronikawithak! It REALLY helps drive everything home! And we'll need these little reminders from time to time. So anyone that finds motivational quotes, article links, pointers, or good tips... PLEASE SHARE! It will take a lot of support to keep us all on track! #TeamLowBuy

PixieDancer

Fell down with a splat this weekend after some very long night shifts - post-night shift is a very dangerous time for my wallet (not the first time this has happened)! Anyway, I ordered a few Real Techniques brushes from iherb and some Sigma brushes as well (E25, E52, F15) - those copper ferrules got me. I guess I can cross the MAC brushes from my list, and they're all things I will definitely use, I just wasn't planning on spending that money this week. Note to self: hide wallet after night shift.
We've all been there! (Refer to veronikawithak's post #5!) But if getting the Sigma brushes helps you cross the MAC brushes off your list, that's great! They are cheaper in price, but I find them very comparable in performance. Now hide that wallet naught girl! HeeHee