Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2014! Who wants to play?

BreeMakeupGeek

I broke down as well & ordered 5 lipsticks & how do I justify it, in my head, I tell self well you narrowed it down to 5 from 9 & 1 was a gift & 2 were a must as they are LE, addiction is no joke....baby steps.

PixieDancer

I really hope I can restrain myself with the spring collections... I know there will be some stuff that's going to tempt me, looking at the Nars blushes and the one from the YSL spring collection.
I just had to buy a new phone after my ''old'' one randomly decided to stop working. (it was only a few months old!) So there goes my xmas money that I had planned to use for makeup purchases next year. Sigh.
I broke down and ordered the Laura Mercier powder I had been thinking about for weeks (and thought I had talked myself out of successfully). Of course, that was hours before my phone stopped working, I surely wouldn't have bought it if I had known I have to buy a new phone!
I know you can do it doll! I'm sure you have a HUGE stash of blushes that can use your love. Try to resist by using some of your unloved blushes!

Quote: Originally Posted by BreeMakeupGeek

I broke down as well & ordered 5 lipsticks & how do I justify it, in my head, I tell self well you narrowed it down to 5 from 9 & 1 was a gift & 2 were a must as they are LE, addiction is no joke....baby steps.
Ok missy.... you're going to be one of our tougher projects I can tell! HeeHee
Ok, no more lippies for you for a month! Now go sit in the corner and hide your credit cards! LOL

Glitteryvegas

I'll be honest, I am hoping that the control I force myself to show for my makeup spending will spill into my spending in other areas. I do feel my makeup addiction is the most serious because each item is not a huge dent all by itself. But it adds up quick! When I'm spending $ on a higher dollar item, I tend to give it the thought it deserves. But I'd much rather skip a makeup collection or 2 and reward myself with a great quality pair of shoes that will last a long time. I guess for me it's about focusing on limiting my spending, saving more money, and only splurging when something is "splurge worthy!" But you're right. We don't want to distract from our goal! The last thing I want to do is curb a makeup addiction and turn it into a purse (or similar) addiction. I think what I'm going to do is every collection that I purchase below my goal limit, I'll put $5 for each skipped item into a "splurge envelope" to use for something else in another category that I might otherwise skip or feel guilty about buying for myself. That way if there's something I have my eye on (hello MK purse), I will be more likely to force myself to cut back... to gain another desired reward!
This.

Yes - if it's something you are coveting and really working hard to save for, it makes it so satisfying to finally purchase that thing. I think for the amount of collections MAC churns out, for me the thought that each purchase deserves just isn't there. And one high quality item that you had to really work towards is worth so much more valuable in the long run than yet another ___________ that you may have a million of. Each time you see that thing that you worked hard for it reminds you of your dedication.

I love your idea of the splurge envelope. Redirecting those funds towards your one coveted item will keep you focused on the big goal! I read in a book a similar idea - every time you stop yourself from making a purchase, you take those funds and put them into your 'big goal' fund. I think that only works if you are using real money and not credit cards though - there's no point putting $ into your big goal fund if it'll have interest lol.

novocainedreams

This.

Yes - if it's something you are coveting and really working hard to save for, it makes it so satisfying to finally purchase that thing. I think for the amount of collections MAC churns out, for me the thought that each purchase deserves just isn't there. And one high quality item that you had to really work towards is worth so much more valuable in the long run than yet another ___________ that you may have a million of. Each time you see that thing that you worked hard for it reminds you of your dedication.

I love your idea of the splurge envelope. Redirecting those funds towards your one coveted item will keep you focused on the big goal! I read in a book a similar idea - every time you stop yourself from making a purchase, you take those funds and put them into your 'big goal' fund. I think that only works if you are using real money and not credit cards though - there's no point putting $ into your big goal fund if it'll have interest lol.
I did this last year to save up for a new macbook....instead of my impulse makeup buys I would save the money towards my goal and in 6 months I had enough. It feels good to know it went towards something I will use every day instead of a bunch of little items I forget in a drawer because the next LE item comes by.

raych1984

Thankyou PixieDancer for creating this thread! I'm setting a monthly budget, that I intend to stick to! My makeup stash is outta control!!

jennyap

I am so in. I’m another who had little to no makeup not that long ago (around 18 months). Then found Mac and Specktra and boom, my collection exploded. It’s still small compared to many I hear about, but I probably only do a full face of makeup 3 times a week, so if I’m honest it’s more than enough already. My limits for Mac LE will be similar to Pixie’s – max 3 items per large collection, 1 per small collection. I will let that be an average, so if there are say 2 things I really really want from one small collection, that’s allowed as long as I entirely skip another. No backups ever. If I miss out on something I want (sold out) I will let it go and won’t hunt it down in the CB etc. I pretty much stick to this last part already, but it’s good to commit to it in writing. Then thinking more specifically: Lipsticks (Mac) – I am just about maxed out on bright lipsticks, which I never used to wear at all and only got into this year. The hole in my collection is in the professional/office friendly mid-tone range, so no more than one in four lipsticks I buy should be a bright. Total no more than one per month. Lipgloss (any brand) – need to be super strict about these. I have about 20 now, and don’t wear them often, plus I know I’m getting one of the Bare Minerals sets for Christmas. So max 2 for the year, just so I don’t feel I’ll miss out if there’s something amazing, but in reality I’ll try stick to none. Lipliner (any) – no real limits, as this is a definite gap in my collection. But I just picked up my first couple, and need to figure out how often I will realistically use them before I buy more. Eyeshadow (Mac) – absolute max 2 singles per month, and at least one third should be permanent. No new paint pots until I hit pan on one. No powder shadows I can’t depot. No pre-made palettes. This might sound like a lot, but I bought over 30 singles this year, plus 5 Mac palettes and at least 8 non-Mac palettes, so it’s a big cut! Mascara (any) – need to get down to no more than 4 open at any one time. I like to use different formulas for different occasions/looks, and it’s nice to have space to keep favourites going alongside trying new things, but 4 is plenty. In other words replacements only, and I have a few to get through before I’m even allowed that. Eyeliner (any) – can add a gold, a nude/fleshtone, and a black gel liner to my collection, and that’s it. Mineralize – absolutely no MES or MSF. As pretty as they are, there are only a couple I use regularly, and I hate that I can’t depot them. Highlighter (any) – only 1 all year, and that’s just to allow me to get a HG product if it comes along. I actually have more than I can ever use. Foundation (any) – can add one new formula, then replacements only. Blush (Mac) – I have a few, but feel like this is a relatively gappy part of my collection, so I will be a bit more generous with myself here, although I will still think carefully about how any new purchases fit with what I already have. Probably allow up to 6 Mac blushes – again though, want a decent proportion to be perm, say half. I also want to try a NARS blush this year for sure. Non-Mac – Dior is my other main weakness, but I will limit myself to only 1 palette for the year, and 3 other items. UD Naked 3 is also allowed. There are a few things I want to try from other brands aside from those already mentioned, and will no doubt be a few others crop up throughout the year – I will allow myself one every three months if and only if I have stuck to my other limits. Exceptions – I’m not starting until after the Punk Couture, Magnetic Nude and Huggables collections, even though they will probably not launch until January here, as I’ve already mentally committed to these, so I’m working on a US timetable! Also any like-for-like replacements don’t count towards my limits. Nail polish – that’s a separate addiction LOL! The short version: 12 Mac lipsticks 2 lipglosses 24 eyeshadow singles 3 eyeliners 1 highlighter 1 foundation 6 Mac blushes 1 NARS blush 1 Dior palette 3 Dior other items UD Naked 3 6 other non-Mac items = 61 new items in total for 2014. I’ll actually round that down to 60, i.e. 5 per month. Although they are still pretty generous, I think having these limits set down will be a big help mentally. Plus my wallet will thank me for sure! Even without putting exact prices on things, seeing that 60 things would be a major reduction from this year’s spending tells me that I paid out a LOT of money in 2013. I don’t regret it, but I do need to slow down.

Audrey C

Oops, sorry for the essay!!
Not at all - I think committing ourselves to our goals is really helpful. Then we can all help each other stay on track. I'm going to come back and update as I cross items off my list (for instance, bought X and Y, now down to eight products for the year).

Ten items doesn't seem like much in a year, but I backed up my staples during recent sales so I don't think I'll run out of much for quite awhile.

Audrey C

Great resources - so helpful! Thank you!!!
urock.gif

Yes - you are right. It is tough love time. If I'm being really honest, it is causing a few problems w/hubby as he is getting increasingly frustrated with my reckless makeup purchases. He's a pretty easy going person, so it must be an issue if he's noticing and commenting often. It's just not worth having issues in the end. I can't justify my purchases over my relationship.

Most of the time it is me suggesting my own gifts, so it's so true that I am financing my items with other people's $. That cash could be better off saved or funneled into something meaningful as we've been discussing. Too much of a good thing is just that - too much. I'm curious about some of the other responses on here (not that I'm judging) - are we really better off if we just push those funds not spent on makeup into more consumer goods? Is that really an effective goal? I guess it depends on our individual circumstances, our own personal goals, etc. Again, not judging, but I'm trying to make sense of my own goals to make them more concrete. Honestly, I don't need more of anything - clothes, makeup, shoes, bags, etc, etc. The list goes on and on. I have more than enough stuff for myself and about 15 girls. So it really is about having your 'stuff' work for you, and not the other way around.

I'm not sure if people are up for it, but I'm so interested in other people's collections. I might post up my spreadsheet findings when I'm finished tallying the damage.
eeksign.gif
My husband is very easy going too. He's also a good gauge, because he wouldn't say a word about what I spend (we each have our own discretionary money) unless it really seemed odd to him. I think it's important to respect joint financial goals; I've seen lots of couples go the mat over money. One is a saver and sticks to the budget and the other doesn't, and it causes serious problems. I've coached my own kids to be very careful about the financial habits of potential partners, because one partner can and often does take both into a sea of debt. I'm not at all suggesting you've done this, but it's important that we factor agreements with our partners into our buying. As much as we love it, this is just makeup.

I think you're right about the consumer spending. I don't comment when I see it, but there are lots of references on the site about 'money saved' when an item is skipped. Well, it's only saved if it's actually put away into an account and left alone. Spending it on something else doesn't count as saving. I do think that lots of us enjoy shopping/collecting and that makeup is just a symptom of that. It's easy to shift from makeup to nail polish to purses to something else and not really address what the root cause of the behaviour is.

I understand this too well. It took me a long time to retrain myself and I feel like I've slipped back a bit recently. I'm fortunate to be in a place where I can afford it, but that doesn't make it better. I'm still wasting money that I work very hard to earn.

BreeMakeupGeek

I'll be honest, I am hoping that the control I force myself to show for my makeup spending will spill into my spending in other areas. I do feel my makeup addiction is the most serious because each item is not a huge dent all by itself. But it adds up quick! When I'm spending $ on a higher dollar item, I tend to give it the thought it deserves. But I'd much rather skip a makeup collection or 2 and reward myself with a great quality pair of shoes that will last a long time. I guess for me it's about focusing on limiting my spending, saving more money, and only splurging when something is "splurge worthy!" But you're right. We don't want to distract from our goal! The last thing I want to do is curb a makeup addiction and turn it into a purse (or similar) addiction. I think what I'm going to do is every collection that I purchase below my goal limit, I'll put $5 for each skipped item into a "splurge envelope" to use for something else in another category that I might otherwise skip or feel guilty about buying for myself. That way if there's something I have my eye on (hello MK purse), I will be more likely to force myself to cut back... to gain another desired reward! I know you can do it doll! I'm sure you have a HUGE stash of blushes that can use your love. Try to resist by using some of your unloved blushes! Ok missy.... you're going to be one of our tougher projects I can tell! HeeHee Ok, no more lippies for you for a month! Now go sit in the corner and hide your credit cards! LOL
Lol yes someone please put me in the corner!! But yes I need & will try much harder on working on my lipstick addiction. I'm very happy this thread was started & you ladies sharing such intimate information Thank you...mirror effect :)

jennyap

Quote:Originally Posted by Audrey C

I'm going to come back and update as I cross items off my list (for instance, bought X and Y, now down to eight products for the year.

Definitely want to do that. I already have a new tab set up on my inventory spreadsheet, with slots for each of my allowed items in 2014, and I will fill them in as we go as well as sharing here.

Lipstickjunkii

Why am I just discovering this thread? I am SO IN. I recently did a Beautyventory and I have amassed over 100 tubes of lipsticks. Most of which I haven't even worn that often. I work in a conservative environment so that rules out bright reds, purples, vampy colors etc and most of my lip stash is bright colors. And then I don't get a chance to show off my collection every weekend either. So I really need to curb my lipstick purchasing. For instance I have WAY too many reds and when you think about it, even though a hand swatch might be a tad different, I feel that in the end, not everybody can tell that you wore Riri Woo today vs Cruella tomorrow vs. NYX eros the 3rd day etc. Long story short, I need to cut back on lipsticks that I don't need.

Not to talk of all my splurges on blush, eyeshadow (got the Naked 1 and 3 on the same day...whoops!), nail polish and what have you. I definitely need to tone it down and save more money cos I've spent a ishtload of money on makeup and beauty products in 2013. I really need to start ignoring Ulta and their dang 20% off coupons along with Sephora and the rest of 'em. Even Target and CVS stay tempting me.

Joining Specktra has definitely enabled a lot of my makeup purchasing (and I love you ladies and gents for it) but it's time to start shopping and wearing my stash. So yes, I'm very in for this low-buy. Will only focus on very unique shades/items that I really really want and try not to buy into the hype cos the truth is that a lot of purchases are hype. For instance, I only bought Feel My Pulse from the TR collection for the hype and haven't even worn it that much. I didn't plan to get anything from the Riri Holiday collection but again...the hype drew me in. Welp!

Lipstickjunkii

I still haven't touched my Dragon Girl, Train Blue, Couer Battant, Exhibit A and Cruella from my NARS haul over the last 2 months O__O

aradhana

Quote:Originally Posted by Audrey C

I'm going to come back and update as I cross items off my list (for instance, bought X and Y, now down to eight products for the year.

Definitely want to do that. I already have a new tab set up on my inventory spreadsheet, with slots for each of my allowed items in 2014, and I will fill them in as we go as well as sharing here.
I also enjoyed reading about your purchasing plan and rationale! I think after the punk couture collection 3 lipsticks), i'm just going to buy maximum one item (Mac or non),per month. And I'm going to include my mascara replacements in this. It's a very harsh plan, but I'd rather spend on going on a trip rather than always feeling skint. I like Audrey's idea of actually putting money into an account for that something big. I already have a tfsi savings, but i'm going to start putting money into another savings so I can see myself approaching my goal.

Audrey C

I like Audrey's idea of actually putting money into an account for that something big. I already have a tfsi savings, but i'm going to start putting money into another savings so I can see myself approaching my goal.
I'm a visual person so seeing my balance creep up helps to keep me on track. A few years ago, I decided that I'd really like to go to Italy for our 20th wedding anniversary, and bring the three kids. That's a big ticket item and I knew it would never happen unless I broke it into manageable steps. Just before our 17th anniversary, I decided to save $5,000 a year towards that goal for 3 years. It was $192.31 a pay (not that it's burned into my memory or anything) and that felt comfortable. The five of us spent two weeks in Rome, Florence and Venice.

By then we were used to putting that money aside, so this year we'll either do France or England/Ireland/Scotland. We've only been saving for two years this time and that won't be quite enough, so I want to watch what I spend in the first half of the year. There's no lipstick that could be more special to me than having dinner at the top of the Eiffel Tower with my family and looking down on the lights of Paris. My two eldest are almost grown and I won't have many more opportunities like this with them. This may be the last time.

It doesn't matter what the dream is. For some it's travel or going back to school, for other it's the freedom of being debt-free. We think they're impossible since they seem so big, but don't realize that regular, even small deposits can make them happen.

Mayflower22

I think (esp when it comes to lipstick) we get so caught up in the *slightest* difference of color/finish, that we think it is a "must have". But is it really? Like others have said, once it's on your face or lips, those nuances are likely lost completely. We have to start being more realistic about what a "must have" item really is. Really play the devils advocate when looking at a new item to buy. That's my plan, at least!

thejwlife

I think (esp when it comes to lipstick) we get so caught up in the *slightest* difference of color/finish, that we think it is a "must have".
I'm totally in this with you all. But, doesn't this make us the makeup enthusiasts that we are? Because we notice the slight difference in a shade or undertone? Just a thought. I didn't get a chance to start my inventory yesterday. Thanks to the person that shared the spreadsheets. I love Excel and plan to revamp one to add personal color coding and budget tracking.

Bcteagirl

I'm a visual person so seeing my balance creep up helps to keep me on track. A few years ago, I decided that I'd really like to go to Italy for our 20th wedding anniversary, and bring the three kids. That's a big ticket item and I knew it would never happen unless I broke it into manageable steps. Just before our 17th anniversary, I decided to save $5,000 a year towards that goal for 3 years. It was $192.31 a pay (not that it's burned into my memory or anything) and that felt comfortable. The five of us spent two weeks in Rome, Florence and Venice.

By then we were used to putting that money aside, so this year we'll either do France or England/Ireland/Scotland. We've only been saving for two years this time and that won't be quite enough, so I want to watch what I spend in the first half of the year. There's no lipstick that could be more special to me than having dinner at the top of the Eiffel Tower with my family and looking down on the lights of Paris. My two eldest are almost grown and I won't have many more opportunities like this with them. This may be the last time.

It doesn't matter what the dream is. For some it's travel or going back to school, for other it's the freedom of being debt-free. We think they're impossible since they seem so big, but don't realize that regular, even small deposits can make them happen.
That is a wonderful storey, and very well put!

Quote: Originally Posted by Mayflower22

I think (esp when it comes to lipstick) we get so caught up in the *slightest* difference of color/finish, that we think it is a "must have". But is it really? Like others have said, once it's on your face or lips, those nuances are likely lost completely. We have to start being more realistic about what a "must have" item really is. Really play the devils advocate when looking at a new item to buy. That's my plan, at least!
Exactly. Not only that, even if it is different at the time, I can promise you that within a few years something very similar will come out.