Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2014! Who wants to play?

FuuHouhouji

I’m in!!! My plan for this year is to buy only 10 items (that includes mascaras) from January to November (until VIB sale). Being honest is not a huge less that my normal spending (These entire year I only got around 20 makeup items). What I really need is a “no buy another until you finish one” rule with skincare. I spend too much money there. I think skincare is a need; but I also need to be better at finishing masks and sunscreens before trying something new. Count me in, lets help each other.

babygirlLAH

Doing a spreadsheet is a good idea. I remember my bf was telling me to use the mint app to see how much I was really spending on make up a month. Lol of course I didn't use it, I only dl it. Was kinda ashamed to see the amount of money I spent on make up this year alone lol. Good thing heroine and pc being released doesn't appeal to me either. Makes me believe I'll stick to my low buy resolution, I hope.

novocainedreams

Doing a spreadsheet is a good idea. I remember my bf was telling me to use the mint app to see how much I was really spending on make up a month. Lol of course I didn't use it, I only dl it. Was kinda ashamed to see the amount of money I spent on make up this year alone lol. Good thing heroine and pc being released doesn't appeal to me either. Makes me believe I'll stick to my low buy resolution, I hope.
I know the feeling. During the beginning of this year I did a low buy for the first 6 months and I kept track of what I spent on makeup...it was really kind of embarrassing(I actually blogged it too) to see how much I spent WITH a limit. Seeing how much I spent afterwards with no limit...yeah not always the best feeling, haha. I don't go in debt, I always pay of my credit cards completely 99% of the time, but I think it still feels better knowing I saved that money for a rainy day or it went to something bigger, like a trip.

Good luck to you too!

PixieDancer

I know the feeling. During the beginning of this year I did a low buy for the first 6 months and I kept track of what I spent on makeup...it was really kind of embarrassing(I actually blogged it too) to see how much I spent WITH a limit. Seeing how much I spent afterwards with no limit...yeah not always the best feeling, haha. I don't go in debt, I always pay of my credit cards completely 99% of the time, but I think it still feels better knowing I saved that money for a rainy day or it went to something bigger, like a trip.

Good luck to you too!
YES! THIS!
Realizing the issue is half the battle! You're on your way sweetie! Proud of you!

jennyap

LOL my 60 items limit isn't much of a low buy compared to you ladies sticking to 10! I am so impressed. But... It's much better than the 200ish I acquired in the last 18 months, right? And actually I'm hopeful that when I start really thinking about whether a product justifies one of my limited spots, I'll find that I buy even less and stay below my limit instead of going right up to it. ETA let's go the whole hog - skincare too. I've been fickle as all get out lately and amassed a good amount of products. So in 2014 it will be strictly need only. Having a couple of different moisturisers say in rotation for changing weather/ skin conditions etc is fine, but not 4 or more plus samples that I flit between as my mood takes me. Use them up, toss on expiry (or sooner if they're really not working for me) and only replace if necessary will be my mantra for this year.

allthingsglam

C'mon girl, you got this!  Return the dang thing and be done with it!  Go buy something that will get a lot of love!  PB is too pretty to sit in a drawer unused. Get thee to MAC! 
yes really if u don't like a all matte ls I love pb I don't have anything like it of course I wear it no liner no lp and no gloss its just sooooooo beautiful to me that way but I agree if u use a gloss with it I think it can be dupe
OMG do not return PB please there are many females on here who would love to purchase this from you.
i agree somebody on here might love to buy it

allthingsglam

LOL my 60 items limit isn't much of a low buy compared to you ladies sticking to 10! I am so impressed. But... It's much better than the 200ish I acquired in the last 18 months, right? And actually I'm hopeful that when I start really thinking about whether a product justifies one of my limited spots, I'll find that I buy even less and stay below my limit instead of going right up to it. ETA let's go the whole hog - skincare too. I've been fickle as all get out lately and amassed a good amount of products. So in 2014 it will be strictly need only. Having a couple of different moisturisers say in rotation for changing weather/ skin conditions etc is fine, but not 4 or more plus samples that I flit between as my mood takes me. Use them up, toss on expiry (or sooner if they're really not working for me) and only replace if necessary will be my mantra for this year.
I love that u are sticking to a number I going to do this too thanks for the idea I don't know what that number is going to be yet thanks for the idea

allthingsglam

I'm ready with all these new collection I have to find out what are the must buy and whats really different for instance I was thinking about buying studded kiss from punk couture but I really think it looks like endless drama so I may be crossing it off the list.

allthingsglam

[@]PixieDancer[/@]thanks so much for this thread I really need it I have great makeup that sits untouched and that's not good I'm going to shop my own collection I'm still going to buy but I don't feel the need to buy everything in a collection now and with help it should be much easier

FuuHouhouji

Low-Buy is something that should be individual. You shall not compare to others. Some off just don’t buy so much makeup (in my case is because I don’t live in the states and makeup can cost three times more in Mexico; or may not be even available) so 10 is a reasonable number.
Also I don’t go out often, my makeup is for work. There are so many neutral eye shadows and blushes you can get. It is not such a big effort on my part if the only things that tempt me are two Nars blushes from the final cut collection. Also my close relatives are not into makeup (for example, my mom only has one blush, an eyeshadow duo, two lipsticks and one foundation. That’s all!)
I think you should stick to a number that is reasonable for you and your budget. It may look like too much for someone; but if you try to cut too much you have worst possibilities to succeed (like with a diet). You can go from 200 products to 10 but it’s extreme and super hard!!! Better to take baby steps that fail completely.
2cents.gif

babygirlLAH

Good luck to you too!
Good luck to you also! I know we can all get through 2014 with our wallets not hating us as they did this year. lol
cheerleader.gif

Glitteryvegas

My husband is very easy going too. He's also a good gauge, because he wouldn't say a word about what I spend (we each have our own discretionary money) unless it really seemed odd to him. I think it's important to respect joint financial goals; I've seen lots of couples go the mat over money. One is a saver and sticks to the budget and the other doesn't, and it causes serious problems. I've coached my own kids to be very careful about the financial habits of potential partners, because one partner can and often does take both into a sea of debt. I'm not at all suggesting you've done this, but it's important that we factor agreements with our partners into our buying. As much as we love it, this is just makeup.

I think you're right about the consumer spending. I don't comment when I see it, but there are lots of references on the site about 'money saved' when an item is skipped. Well, it's only saved if it's actually put away into an account and left alone. Spending it on something else doesn't count as saving. I do think that lots of us enjoy shopping/collecting and that makeup is just a symptom of that. It's easy to shift from makeup to nail polish to purses to something else and not really address what the root cause of the behaviour is.

I understand this too well. It took me a long time to retrain myself and I feel like I've slipped back a bit recently. I'm fortunate to be in a place where I can afford it, but that doesn't make it better. I'm still wasting money that I work very hard to earn.
I think the thing is that I'm a spender and he is too. We just buy and value different things. I think 2014 will be a great opportunity to cinch both of our belts, take a step back and re-evaluate our priorities. I started reading this book called "You can Buy Happiness (And It's Cheap)" By Tammy Strobel - it's pretty good. I actually read a lot of financial books, but have to put what I read into practice. I've worked in the debt industry and have seen my fair share of couples who hide debt from each other. I've seen some crazy, crazy things and I can see what will usually happen (resentment, divorce, etc). It's a slippery slope & it's easy to get used to spending certain amounts of money on things - we get accustomed to a certain lifestyle without really questioning what we are doing.

In my early 20s I could months and months without purchasing makeup. Now I have more cash and have become accustomed to a certain level of purchasing. It's an easy error in thinking but can be corrected with some proper attention.

I think for 2014 I will limit myself to 30 items or less, including 'essentials ' (Mascara, primer). This will include B2M and gift card purchases. I'm not going to create a specific item list, because I usually look at a collection and get drawn to certain items and not necessarily the same types of items. I am getting a lot of items for Christmas (Naked 3 YEEEEAHHH BUDDY) so I should be able to do less than 30 items.
cheerleader.gif

Because of this thread, I returned a MAC mascara the other day that I purchased and hated (Plum Reserve False Lash Mascara). I've never returned a product to MAC. EVER.

On the flip side, I went to Sephora for their $20 coupon thing. I got to the register with my items, and they told me I'd already used my coupon (Husband did). I was kind of embarrassed actually. And kind of pissed off that Sephora kept telling me via email to use my coupon. I bought one item for $30 with tax, left, and then wondered if Sephora had done that on purpose (kept sending me the email to make me think I still hadn't used the coupon - knowing that many customers would be too embarassed, etc to walk away withouth their products?). HMMMMM.
th_confused_new.gif

Glitteryvegas

ETA let's go the whole hog - skincare too. I've been fickle as all get out lately and amassed a good amount of products. So in 2014 it will be strictly need only. Having a couple of different moisturisers say in rotation for changing weather/ skin conditions etc is fine, but not 4 or more plus samples that I flit between as my mood takes me. Use them up, toss on expiry (or sooner if they're really not working for me) and only replace if necessary will be my mantra for this year.
I really enjoyed reading your ideas. I think it's important that you do what is going to work for you and your budget. It's important to not set yourself up for failure, as another poster mentioned.

lyseD

I kept a list of every MAC item I bought this year and it has really helped keep me from over buying. Seeing it written down makes it more real.

I guess my first challenge is going to be Magnetic Nude -- not because I want many items, I'm just trying to avoid dupes of what I already have.

Morning Rose is going on and off my list every few hours. I am worried about skippers remorse. Hopefully when we get swatches I can cross it off for good.

bvenice1920

Glad @Serenityy showed me this thread. I need to stop buying cause of the packaging and because it looks good on my vanity. I need to buy only what I will use and purge the rest!

Serenityy

Glad @Serenityy   showed me this thread.  I need to stop buying cause of the packaging and because it looks good on my vanity. I need to buy only what I will use and purge the rest!
Girl I'm in the safe boat as you! Most of the stuff I bought was strictly for packaging and/or to look pretty on my vanity! We need to do better for 2014! Still buy pretty stuff but ONLY to use no more display lol

bvenice1920

Girl I'm in the safe boat as you! Most of the stuff I bought was strictly for packaging and/or to look pretty on my vanity! We need to do better for 2014! Still buy pretty stuff but ONLY to use no more display lol
Yes because this RiRi was the tipping point for me. as a nw45 I bought the darn HK in the rose gold packaging only to look at it. I was like no more!!!

Lipstickjunkii

Thanks so much for the support ladies. I'm thankful for this thread.
Heyy just saw a Daddy's Little Girl in the clearance bin that I've been wanting it but I was like do I really need it? Nope so I'll pass. My low-buy has already started :-D

Latest posts