Resolution LOW-BUY 2017

thefbomb

I'm definitely up for a no buy. It's hard when there's so many new releases constantly. As a student I think I'll just hold off until IMATS, Gen Beauty and that sort of thing (b2m even).

i love getting new blushes, lipsticks and nail polishes but at this point I feel overwhelmed. I don't want things to sit and go bad or just not get any love. I need to concentrate on what I have so I think a low buy is perfect

shellygrrl

Staff member
Finally scored the brow gel I wanted -- Surratt Expressioniste Brow Pomade -- so I'm pretty set on brow stuff for now. :rocker:

fur4elise

Finally scored the brow gel I wanted -- Surratt Expressioniste Brow Pomade -- so I'm pretty set on brow stuff for now.
:rocker:

NICE! :five: ~ Keep those FOTDs coming! I wish I had more time in the am to make note of what I'm reaching for...

On the pre-made palette front...I de-potted a few more tarte shades from several pre-made and have incorporated some into my custom palettes. Not all are making the cut! If the color is patchy, dusty, not pigmented, etc. Or if it is something I will never use, it gets pitched!

On the mindful spending front, my half asleep brain came up with a great idea this morning...well a great one for us crazy organized people (aka Virgos #VirgoNation ;) )

In all things health and fitness I have kept a food journal and currently a training journal (I've had the training journal for +6 years). Record keeping keeps me mindful, keeps me on track and keeps me accountable...so why not some type of journal for health, hair & beauty spending?! Most likely I will construct some type of Excel document. I think this would be a great way to be accountable for my spending and help me stick to my low-buy commitment.

Alysse011

NICE! :five: ~ Keep those FOTDs coming! I wish I had more time in the am to make note of what I'm reaching for...

On the pre-made palette front...I de-potted a few more tarte shades from several pre-made and have incorporated some into my custom palettes. Not all are making the cut! If the color is patchy, dusty, not pigmented, etc. Or if it is something I will never use, it gets pitched!

On the mindful spending front, my half asleep brain came up with a great idea this morning...well a great one for us crazy organized people (aka Virgos #VirgoNation ;) )

In all things health and fitness I have kept a food journal and currently a training journal (I've had the training journal for +6 years). Record keeping keeps me mindful, keeps me on track and keeps me accountable...so why not some type of journal for health, hair & beauty spending?! Most likely I will construct some type of Excel document. I think this would be a great way to be accountable for my spending and help me stick to my low-buy commitment.

I have been keeping track of things on my phone in a note, but I want to do a spending spreadsheet too.

lenchen

Finally scored the brow gel I wanted -- Surratt Expressioniste Brow Pomade -- so I'm pretty set on brow stuff for now. :rocker:

Very nice! let me know how you like it, I may explore once I run out of my NAC brow gel.

Good idea, I Do this on the clothing front, I actually have a spreadsheet of items I want to buy for 2017, and it keeps me very much accountable.

VAL4M

A list of my purchase??? I only need to go into my sephora-my beauty bag-purchases, no??? :p
I'm so happy to never got into the Tarte bandwagon still mad at myself to hop in the Toofaced one, now I really want to add fuel to the fire in trying Viseart.... must keep my resolution till April.
Am I the only one to already be thinking of the next Sephora sale? :hide:

shellygrrl

Staff member

I've been keeping track of makeup purchases in Evernote docs for the last few years. (I make a new one every year.)

fur4elise

I have been keeping track of things on my phone in a note, but I want to do a spending spreadsheet too.
...Good idea, I Do this on the clothing front, I actually have a spreadsheet of items I want to buy for 2017, and it keeps me very much accountable.
A list of my purchase??? I only need to go into my sephora-my beauty bag-purchases, no??? :p
I'm so happy to never got into the Tarte bandwagon still mad at myself to hop in the Toofaced one, now I really want to add fuel to the fire in trying Viseart.... must keep my resolution till April.
Am I the only one to already be thinking of the next Sephora sale? :hide:
I've been keeping track of makeup purchases in Evernote docs for the last few years. (I make a new one every year.)

LOL! I kind of thought I would not be alone in my wanting to better track my purchases and expenditures! I did not really keep track last year and clearly spent too much/more than I wanted. I was also thinking it would have been/would be good to have an actual "inventory" of my stuffs. OCD? Nah...just realizing if I know what I have, I will use it and it will def curb me from purchasing duplicates/overlapping products.

I am back and forth on keeping an electronic document vs. a paper type ledger. In the past I have lost too many electronic calendars and agendas so it has left a bad taste in my mouth. My only fail with a bound paper book was spilling coffee on it...lol I always keep my annual weekly calendar/planner book with me for easy access. Also, if I write stuff down it ingrains it better in my memory.

@VAL4M ~ LOL! No lady...you are not alone! :five: I have a nice :heart: list at Sephora too! I mentioned a few items in my 2017 goals post and so the list is pretty much made of of those items. I am keeping my spending to a minimum to save funds specifically for the spring sale. ;)

jennyap

LOL! I kind of thought I would not be alone in my wanting to better track my purchases and expenditures! I did not really keep track last year and clearly spent too much/more than I wanted. I was also thinking it would have been/would be good to have an actual "inventory" of my stuffs. OCD? Nah...just realizing if I know what I have, I will use it and it will def curb me from purchasing duplicates/overlapping products.

I am back and forth on keeping an electronic document vs. a paper type ledger. In the past I have lost too many electronic calendars and agendas so it has left a bad taste in my mouth. My only fail with a bound paper book was spilling coffee on it...lol I always keep my annual weekly calendar/planner book with me for easy access. Also, if I write stuff down it ingrains it better in my memory.

@VAL4M ~ LOL! No lady...you are not alone! :five: I have a nice :heart: list at Sephora too! I mentioned a few items in my 2017 goals post and so the list is pretty much made of of those items. I am keeping my spending to a minimum to save funds specifically for the spring sale. ;)

I don't know if I've shared before about my Excel tracker / inventory - it could definitely be classed as a bit OTT! Happy to go into (a bit of) detail if it would be helpful :)

fur4elise

I don't know if I've shared before about my Excel tracker / inventory - it could definitely be classed as a bit OTT! Happy to go into (a bit of) detail if it would be helpful :)

Absolutely! I was trying to reconfigure a template and grrr arrrggghh!:mad: frustration! I am by no means an Excel expert so any instruction / tips would be great! I look at it this way...If I learn to use it for something fun/personal...it will make it easier to use it for anything work related!

Alysse011

My FOTD almost every work day this January:

-Becca Backlight Priming Filter (I also have two samples of Burberry Fresh Glow that I use every once in a while. I like it a lot.)
-Decorte Soft Creme foundation in 301
-YSL Touché Éclat under the eyes and around the nose
-Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage on blemishes and hyperpigmentation
-L'Oréal Brow Stylist Definer and Surratt Brow Pomade. Love the Surratt much more than ABH brow gel.
-UD Primer Potion to prime eyes and Bobbi Brown chocolate shimmer ink potter gel liner. No eyeshadow (I have been "over" eyeshadow for the past couple weeks...we will see how long that lasts)
-Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel
-Marc Jacobs Flesh and Fantasy blush
-highlighter (I have a lot I rotate. The Balm Mary Loumanizer or Becca Moonstone or Cover FX drops in Moonlight or MUFE #1...realizing I probably should rethink allowing any other highlight into my life)
-Lips have been either MUFE 3C or Charlotte Tilbury Pink Venus for liner. Usually either MJ Moonglow gloss or a mix of CT Kim KW and Liv It Up. I love those two lipsticks alone, and I also love them mixed.

I'm going to do another post soon with how January panned out for me.

Alysse011

Ok, here is how January went for me...
I had a Sephora gift card that I partially used this month, and I also used Nordies notes to purchase one of the new Chanel crayons. So, I didn't have any makeup spending. I also replenished brow gel - I got the Surratt Brow Pomade to replace my used up ABH Clear Brow Gel.

I am still wanting to purchase Oribe Gold Lust shampoo and conditioner, but I won't until i finish one of my current shampoo and conditioner first.

Having a gift card + my new budget made me really consider what I want to purchase. In the past I would have spent that gift card probably within the first week of having it lol. Instead I was much more thoughtful.

I thought I wanted a couple Armani Eye Tints, but the colors I had my eye on are incredibly similar to two of my Tom Ford cream shadows, so I skipped those. I also thought I might want one of the new Stila Glitter and Glow shadow, but glitter isn't super practical for my every day life. Also, like I mentioned in my previous post, I haven't really been wearing much eyeshadow to work. I also thought about using the GC on one of the new Hourglass Girl Lip Stylos, but they aren't in stores near me yet and I just got the Chanel crayon. I shopped what I already have instead and rediscovered my love for my CT hot lips lippies.

I also was initially very into the new MUFE Star Lit powders, but after mulling it over I decided that I already have a lot of highlighters that I like and it wasn't unique enough. Lastly, I have an interest in the brand new Shiseido Synchro Skin Glow foundation. It's not at Sephora yet and it is only online at Nordies. I'll wait until it's in store at Nordstrom to get a sample. I'm curious because more oily skinned women seemed to love the original Synchro Skin. However, I am very happy with my current foundations so there's no need to rush. Once I get samples, if I really love it, then I will perhaps purchase after using one of my current foundations up or during the spring Sephora sale.

So, overall, this month was a success. However, I was still able to get some items with gift cards/notes. I have very little of the Sephora GC left and no more Nordstrom notes, so anything in February will be out of pocket. I'm thinking of doing a total no buy in February. Ok, I just talked myself into it. February is officially a no-buy month for me.

lenchen

Sephora has a spring sale? have been so out of the loop since I lost my VIB status last year.

fur4elise

Sephora has a spring sale? have been so out of the loop since I lost my VIB status last year.
It's the annual spring coupon offering for VIBR, VIB & BI.

Low Buy Check-In ~
January
I think I can do my check in too. As I do not see myself making any purchases between now and the 1st…lol, lord willing nothing absolutely must-have pops into the horizon!

High-End ~ I made one high end purchase right out of pocket at the beginning of the month, the Estee Edit Gritty Glow Palette…lol. I had purchased it back during the VIBR sale and promptly returned it (impulse). This time after reading a few more reviews and swatching it again, I considered it a “sleeper” must, for use on both face & eyes. I am happy to say I am really enjoying it.

Using a leftover PayPal balance from eBay & eBates, I purchased two skin care items. A refill of my Estee Lauder ANR serum.

The other purchase I made after a December Sephora consultation on manual exfoliators. I ended up really liking the Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment samples I got. So, I purchased the .50 oz. tube…a little bit of that stuff goes a long way. I have to say I also enjoyed the Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Cleanser Daily Foaming Wash samples I got. I think I like it more than my Neutrogena cleanser. I have added that to my spring shopping list…I may purchase it next month if my budget will allow.

Speaking of Sephora on a mini rant…Is anyone else just as sick as I am of the “Points Rewards Hunger Games!?!” Nothing is ever available and what is…I do not want! I am seeing that Ulta is offering more of the brands I do like, so I am tempted to through my money more in their direction…In fact I just ordered (2) Ulta gift cards using another points program. The only thing I do not appreciate is Ulta’s shipping charge for orders under $50. Anywho, I do not intend to spend enough money to be VIBR again! End mini rant.

Drugstore ~ I purchased on a bogo 50% off sale with coupons: 2 L’Oréal mascaras both of which I regularly return to and replace.

Also, because of my out of season tan situation, I purchased 2 shades of the new Infallible Total Coverage foundation. This was a more economical solution ($10.50 total) as opposed to purchasing 1 or 2 full bottles of ELDW. And I did not want to go to a counter and beg for samples to ride it out…time is money too! ;) Come summer, I would/will get matched and invest in full size bottles, knowing it will get used at time of need.

The last bogo purchase was for 2 of the new L’Oreal clay masks, the Detox/Brighten & Exfoliate/Refining. I have yet to find a clay mask that does not irritate me somehow…itch, burn, redness…etc. So for $12 I thought affordable to give them a try.

Haircare ~ 1 purchase made during Ulta’s annual liter/jumbo haircare sale. I love the Nexxus Therappe Poo & Humectress Conditioner. If you can believe it, I only wash my hair once a week (lots of fine hair, that just limps down & does nothing unless I let it get “dirty.” ;) )! So a jumbo of each lasts me a year!

That’s it! I’m pretty happy and most definitely did not overdo it for January. For me it is a quiet time in all things beauty...not a lot on the horizon catching my interest right now.

Last edited:

Marsha Pomells

I've done pretty well in January (I know it's still January, but still). I have a few bits in my MAC US basket, but do I need them????

Marsha Pomells

:tiptoe:Nope! LOL ;) :scram:

Ok... I'll just stare at Trophy, because bowling pins. But seriously, thanks for guiding me away from my MAC basket...

Which reminds me to replace all my LE stuff from my makeup bag with regular perm items. Read a story online about a woman who had her car broken into... And they stole her makeup bag.

fur4elise

Ok... I'll just stare at Trophy, because bowling pins. But seriously, thanks for guiding me away from my MAC basket...

Which reminds me to replace all my LE stuff from my makeup bag with regular perm items. Read a story online about a woman who had her car broken into... And they stole her makeup bag.

YIKES! But I believe it...we spend a ton of money on some pretty pricey/hard to replace/limited edition beauty stuffs! I know I would be more upset about my makeup bag being stolen than other things in my purse!

Marsha Pomells

YIKES! But I believe it...we spend a ton of money on some pretty pricey/hard to replace/limited edition beauty stuffs! I know I would be more upset about my makeup bag being stolen than other things in my purse!
I can cancel my cards and so forth. But when it comes to LE products, different story altogether.

Latest posts