Resolution LOW-BUY 2017

fur4elise

Thanks for that video! I agree on the creams in pots. I find them difficult to use... so I barely use them, then they get dried out. I'm not going to buy anymore and I'm going to make a huge effort to use whatever I have or finally toss it out.
After the anti-haul vlog there is now Stop buying these Types of products ....Stop Buying These Types of Products I TAG - YouTube

Mine are cream makeup product so now i'm forcing myself to use at least one cream products in my look Every freaking morning. So it can be a eyeliner, or gel liner, cream bronzer or cream blush or cream eyeshadow(s). I still think I will need to purge all my maybelline tattoo eyeshadow they all getting dry :(

Yeah, no cream products for me either. I have oily skin, so I do not buy anything cream based for the face. The few cream shadows I have, I do reach for now and again, but have no need or desire to add any more. I do find myself curious about the Colour Pop Shock Shadows, but again, I hear they dry out. I am a fan of loose powders though. What I do is depot to a smaller container for use. I think my trigger area is drugstore brand stuffs. They are always on sale, there are usually manufacturer coupons, and they are cheap.

On another positive low buy note, further dekraapification has occurred this weekend! I decided to upgrade to some high-end brushes earlier this week. So in preparation for my 4 new treasures, I have removed 35 brushes from my collection!
:shocked:
I still have quite a few that I am not ready to part with yet. However this is my first foray into high quality Japanese brushes. If they are as good I have heard, I see removing many more subpar tools from my collection. Quality not quantity!

Last edited:

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1
--- Mattifying Primer (across nose)
--- Hydrating Primer (forehead, outer perimeters of face)
--- Smoothing Primer (under the eyes)
* ABH Stick Foundation - Porcelain
* MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15
* Kevyn Aucoin SSE - SX01
* Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
* Cinema Secrets Ultralucent Setting Powder - Colorless
* Inglot AMC Brow Liner Gel - 18
* surratt beauty Expressionist Brow Pomade
* NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base
* MAC Eyeshadows - hodgepodge mix of Copperplate, Malt, and Omega (crease)
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Sensuous
* Smashbox Indecent Exposure Mascara
* MAC Blush - Next to Skin (as a contour)
* NARS Satin Lip Pencil - Rikugien

I was going for a makeup no-buy this month, but I think I'm going to have to ditch that and get a new eyeshadow primer now. I had some creasing after not even three hours, and I typically don't experience it that quickly. (I've also had that particular NARS primer for almost two years, so I'm due to get a new one anyway.)

Alysse011

I was on a work trip all last week, and I brought Luminous Silk with me to try to use up. Being the fickle person that I am, I have fallen in love with it all over again (of course) :violin::roflmao: I'm talking major major love

eta - I also brought my sample of the Hourglass Veil primer to try out and used that primer with the foundation every day. That could have something to do with the rekindled love. :nixweiss:

Last edited:

JerseyGirl

I was on a work trip all last week, and I brought Luminous Silk with me to try to use up. Being the fickle person that I am, I have fallen in love with it all over again (of course) :violin::roflmao: I'm talking major major love

eta - I also brought my sample of the Hourglass Veil primer to try out and used that primer with the foundation every day. That could have something to do with the rekindled love. :nixweiss:

Lol!! Happens to me too. Sometimes we move on to something new and when we go back to an old product, its like: "hey this is pretty good. It's better than I remember." And, the primer I think makes a huge difference.

veronikawithak

Time has just flown by.. I had to get caught up on reading from the 2016 thread and the first few pages of this one!

Sorry in advance for the long post!

I'm going to set out my 2016 spending and then go into goals for 2017.

* = still own

Foundation
LilyLolo Natural BB Cream - Fair
Elate Pressed Powder Foundation - Ivory
Fitglow Vita-Active - VF1 Fair *
Sappho New Paradigm Foundation - 1 (sample)
$127.54 (3 full size, 1 sample)

Primer
Fitglow Eye Bright
Sappho New Paradigm Primer For Dry Skin (sample)
$40.25 (1 full size, 1 sample)

Concealer
Sappho New Paradigm Concealer - Fair *
$33.60 (1 full size)

Bronzer
Elate Flushed Pressed Cheek Colour - Sunbeam Bronzer
Fitglow Mineral Blush - Sculpt *
$60.60 (2 full size)

Highlighter
Fitglow Mineral Blush - Hilight Duo *
Sappho New Paradigm Chiaroscuro Shimmers - Light *
Tata Harper (sample)
Kjaer Weis (sample)
$71.40 (3 full size, 2 samples)

Blush

Lily Lolo - Life's A Peach
Elate Flushed Pressed Cheek Colour - Desire
Fitglow Mineral Blush - Pure *
$90.26 (3 full size)

Eyeshadow
Elate - Soulful, Rise *, Quintessence, Modish, Earthen *, Beloved *
Kjaer Weis - Cloud Nine, Wisdom, Green Depth
Root - Truffle, Stella, Matilda, Butter Cream, Ash Brown, Blonde
Sappho - Turtle *
Fitglow - Nudie (3) *, Sunglow (3) *, Nightfall (3), Slate (2)
Lily Lolo - Laid Bare (8)
$493.54 (35 full size)

Mascara
W3LL People
Fitglow *
$64.15 (2 full size)

Lipstick
Bite Amuse Bouche - Rhubarb *, Pepper *, Sweet Cream *, Meringue *, Sake, Thistle
Bite Multistick - Cashew
$226.24 (7 full size)

Brow Products
Root - Ash Brown, Blonde
Sappho Brow Pomade - Blonde (sample)
$39.49 (2 full size, 1 sample)

Total: $1247.07 (59 full size, 5 samples)

This was a lot more than I thought I spent.. I had to go through my budgeting app and track down purchases and receipts, but I found everything! I also didn't keep very much of what I bought.. Looking back, most of my spending was trying out completely new products and then disliking the formula or colour. Or trying something new, realizing I like it better than other products I have, and replacing more than I anticipated rather than using things up.

2016 Inventory

1 foundation $66.08
1 concealer $33.60
3 highlighters $67.20
1 bronzer $38.20
1 blush $39.20
10 eyeshadows $148.05
1 mascara $30.55
4 lipsticks $127.68

Total: $550.56 (22 full size)

January (0)
February (3) - Bite Amuse Bouche Lipstick - Cava * $33.60, Tarte Blush - paaarty $0, Tarte Tarteist Lip Paint - birthday suit $0

This year is looking better. I've really started cracking down on my student loans - last month I paid $700 more than the minimum payment and this month I plan to increase that to $1000. I've settled into brands I like for the moment and crossed out ones I don't. I actually hit pan on an eyeshadow recently, after about 8 months of irregular use!

I've also been aiming to purchase only Canadian products that don't do animal testing so I'm mostly limited to online stores now. Some of them allow you to purchase samples but for things like eyeshadow it can be difficult to find swatches for the smaller brands. I'm great at letting go of things that I dislike, but I need to work on not buying too much from one brand in the first place.. even though I find a new one and want to try everything.

Ultimately I'd like to mostly just replace products as I use them up this year.. I know I'll be tempted by new things but I need to remind myself of long term goals - like being debt free!

Last edited:

Marsha Pomells

So, I done my scratch and sniff test on all my glosses. Not a single rancid smelling gloss in my collection. But I have a back up of She-Rebel vamplify, I'm debating on giving it away to a friend and she has been eyeing up my MAC and Tom Ford stuff for some time since sorting my lipsticks for me.

On the brush front, what I thought was a 7 piece set is actually a 6 piece set. This is what I think should be a standard set... They do need cleaning and I hate that job *Apple side eye*...

View attachment 58582

The not so standard brush set... Someone help me... I know what some of them are for, but the rest... HELP...

View attachment 58583

View attachment 58585

If the photo uploader was a human being you know...

Last edited:

Marsha Pomells

As I was saying... If this photo uploader was human being, I would've been arrested for GBH with intent... Along with other people...

Last edited:

Marsha Pomells

Please see long winded post... Here's the photos... Again...

I've lost the will to live... Will post when uploader actually does work...

shellygrrl

Staff member
Time has just flown by.. I had to get caught up on reading from the 2016 thread and the first few pages of this one!

:wavey: Looks like your 2016 was more spendy than you would have preferred? But at least you're getting yourself back on track. *thumbs up*

Please see long winded post... Here's the photos... Again...

I've lost the will to live... Will post when uploader actually does work...

Upload them somewhere else (Photobucket, Tinypic, Imgur) for now. They'll usually supply a BB code you can copy-and-paste into a post.

fur4elise

@veronikawithak ~I would say my spending total for 2016 was similar...probably a bit more...sigh, I so did not keep track. :blush:
But this year I am keeping an expense tracker...so I have a deliberate close eye on what I am spending. So far I do think it is keeping me on track and it is quelling my need for impulse purchasing.

I would say I am pretty brand loyal too. Simply because if I find something that works great, I do not need to keep looking for the next lastest, greatest thing. ;)

Congrats on tackling the student loans...speaking to fiscal responsibility there is one thing that I was definitely successful with in 2016, no additional credit card debt! So while I spent my cold hard cash...that is exactly what I spent...money in hand. Same goal stands for this year too! If I do not have the cash, I am not making the purchase. Hard line, but why should I be paying interest rates fees for the privilege of spending money I do not have?!? Does not compute anymore with me!
So, I done my scratch and sniff test on all my glosses. Not a single rancid smelling gloss in my collection. But I have a back up of She-Rebel vamplify, I'm debating on giving it away to a friend and she has been eyeing up my MAC and Tom Ford stuff for some time since sorting my lipsticks for me.On the brush front, what I thought was a 7 piece set is actually a 6 piece set. This is what I think should be a standard set... They do need cleaning and I hate that job *Apple side eye*...The not so standard brush set... Someone help me... I know what some of them are for, but the rest... HELP...

Nice brush collection! LOL! I hear you on tools with no obvious definable use...Your friend would love you if you gifted her such lovely beauty ;)

Marsha Pomells

@veronikawithak ~I would say my spending total for 2016 was similar...probably a bit more...sigh, I so did not keep track. :blush:
But this year I am keeping an expense tracker...so I have a deliberate close eye on what I am spending. So far I do think it is keeping me on track and it is quelling my need for impulse purchasing.

I would say I am pretty brand loyal too. Simply because if I find something that works great, I do not need to keep looking for the next lastest, greatest thing. ;)

Congrats on tackling the student loans...speaking to fiscal responsibility there is one thing that I was definitely successful with in 2016, no additional credit card debt! So while I spent my cold hard cash...that is exactly what I spent...money in hand. Same goal stands for this year too! If I do not have the cash, I am not making the purchase. Hard line, but why should I be paying interest rates fees for the privilege of spending money I do not have?!? Does not compute anymore with me!

Nice brush collection! LOL! I hear you on tools with no obvious definable use...Your friend would love you if you gifted her such lovely beauty ;)
Thanks. I know what some of them are for, but just don't know about the rest of them. Think it's safe to say that I won't be brush shopping for a very long time, until I know what to do with the rest of them.

fur4elise

Thanks. I know what some of them are for, but just don't know about the rest of them. Think it's safe to say that I won't be brush shopping for a very long time, until I know what to do with the rest of them.

Hee hee! Every now and again I discover what a brush is for...but I find more often than not, the best brushes are multipurpose and/or can be used with different techniques for application.

:cloud9:I have to say I love my new Chikuhodo brushes!!! I am pretty sure I may spring for back ups of a couple...ya know, to swap out when it's time to do the dreaded brush cleaning...lol!

VAL4M

So, I done my scratch and sniff test on all my glosses. Not a single rancid smelling gloss in my collection. But I have a back up of She-Rebel vamplify, I'm debating on giving it away to a friend and she has been eyeing up my MAC and Tom Ford stuff for some time since sorting my lipsticks for me.

On the brush front, what I thought was a 7 piece set is actually a 6 piece set. This is what I think should be a standard set... They do need cleaning and I hate that job *Apple side eye*...

View attachment 58582

The not so standard brush set... Someone help me... I know what some of them are for, but the rest... HELP...

View attachment 58583

View attachment 58585

If the photo uploader was a human being you know...

are we talking of the purple brush set?
You have a crease detail brush ( I love those brush in general, they work well in the crease and to do the outer V), the other look like a foundation brush (I guess you can always contour too with that brush because of the point), liner-lipliner brush, angle eye brush (I usually use those for my brow bone area right below the eyebrow) , angle brush and powder- blush brush.
Hope this help

VAL4M

Best advice I can give you is try them with everything, with cream, powders, loose powder etc and you will fond soon enough your favourite way to use them. I'm really found of smaller brush in general, I have 3 MAC 221 and none MAC 217 (too fluffy for me) It is all personal taste and your face features

Last edited:

VAL4M

Me Attempting to use my cream and old barely touch makeup!
FOTD
- Primer Guerlain meteorite perles les ors (disc and almost finish)
- foundation - Chanel Vitalumière Aqua 20 Beige
- setting Powder - Guerlain foundation powder Parure Or 02
- eye primer - guerlain Ombre Eclat Base paupière
- Concealer - Maybelline erase eye concealer
- Setting under eye powder - MUFE Face contour Kit in 2 (lighter powder)
- eyeshadow from Sweet peach palette, white peach, Georgia, Summer Yum, Guerlain L'instant fauve, from Colourpop Bea, Game face, Baby T as an eyeliner
- Lancome Indigo Royauté (the almost matte dark blue shade)
- also as an eyeliner Guerlain Terracotta Khol Kajal 02 Blue aqua (barely touch and i have this for years now! Yikes!)
- Bronzer Diorskin Nude Glow 001 Aurora (LE barely used)
- Contour Guerlain Terracotta Light Brunette 03 (hit pan but been a while since I use it)
- Blush Chanel Joues Contraste Alezane
- Highlighter Becca champagne pop (I know this may be shocking but I do not like it :( it is a little too dark for me )
- finishing powder Hourglass Dim Light (meh)
- Lipliner Too face perfect spice
- lipstick Coloupop Lippistick Aquarius

Last edited:

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer (across nose)
* surratt beauty Expressioniste Brow Pomade
* MAC Prep and Prime 24-Hour Extend Eyeshadow Base (got it in yesterday! More notes at the end.)
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Hipster (I also mixed this a bit with MAC Typographic to deepen the lid a little bit.)
* MAC Eyeshadow - Omega
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Rockstar
* MAC Lipstick - Blankety

So with the MAC eyeshadow primer, I got at most 12.5 hours of wear before I saw significant creasing. That's even better than either my long-beloved NARS primer, the NYX HD primer, or even UDPP (each, as I recall, generally last around eight hours before significant creasing). I chose the MAC one instead of repurchasing the NARS because I'd heard MAC's was good for those with hooded or heavy eyelids, and mine are hooded. Very impressed!

I also got a "sized to go" bottle of Fix+ to give that a go. I spritzed some on my face after I applied most of my makeup but before applying lipstick. Definitely not a setting spray by any stretch, but I did like how it felt on my face.

fur4elise

...So with the MAC eyeshadow primer, I got at most 12.5 hours of wear before I saw significant creasing. That's even better than either my long-beloved NARS primer, the NYX HD primer, or even UDPP (each, as I recall, generally last around eight hours before significant creasing). I chose the MAC one instead of repurchasing the NARS because I'd heard MAC's was good for those with hooded or heavy eyelids, and mine are hooded. Very impressed!
I also got a "sized to go" bottle of Fix+ to give that a go. I spritzed some on my face after I applied most of my makeup but before applying lipstick. Definitely not a setting spray by any stretch, but I did like how it felt on my face.
:tee: Thank you for the review on the primer! I have in the past couple years swayed away from using an eye shadow primer. I tend to do my foundation first, so usually extend my coverage over my eye area...kind of like a primer. Some days my eyes stay set for 8+ hrs...other days with a more complex eye look = more product...I find I have a bit of creasing/fading. Not too bothered by it but, was thinking it may be time to try a primer again in lieu of using foundation/concealer. When I did use one it was UDPP. I had several sample/gwp tubes and when those ran out/dried up, I never bothered to buy any after that.

I agree on the Fix+, feels great on the face and kind of melds my makeup, but does not extend it. I do like my Skindinavia...I have about a third of my bottle left. So I may repurchase it...though I hear good things about a few other sprays. Like Urban Decay, since they reformulated their All-Nighter. Some are so expensive! I'd prefer to stay in a price range that would allow me to replenish if I like something.

lenchen

I agree, the only cream product I have is the NARS Cactus flower cream blush and the formula is like a cream to powder. I used to own the MAC cream color bases but I got rid of those they were too oily for me.

lenchen

FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer (across nose)
* surratt beauty Expressioniste Brow Pomade
* MAC Prep and Prime 24-Hour Extend Eyeshadow Base (got it in yesterday! More notes at the end.)
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Hipster (I also mixed this a bit with MAC Typographic to deepen the lid a little bit.)
* MAC Eyeshadow - Omega
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Rockstar
* MAC Lipstick - Blankety

So with the MAC eyeshadow primer, I got at most 12.5 hours of wear before I saw significant creasing. That's even better than either my long-beloved NARS primer, the NYX HD primer, or even UDPP (each, as I recall, generally last around eight hours before significant creasing). I chose the MAC one instead of repurchasing the NARS because I'd heard MAC's was good for those with hooded or heavy eyelids, and mine are hooded. Very impressed!

very interesting! I may need to check that out when I run out of my NARS eye primer

Latest posts