Resolution LOW-BUY 2020

VAL4M

Wow, I can't believe I'm already here to post that my budget is gone for the month.
I bought from Chanel official site: a new eyeshadow palette and some multi gloss cream (89€) and lipstick 37€. The gloss thing is horrible btw, but I will force myself to use it as I cannot return.

Then I was generously gifted a 40€ gift card from my mom for valentines day (too sweet) for a local cosmetic store, which I ended up combining with a 20% coupon so I ended up paying a little under 29€ for my Chanel Hydra Beauty Micro Serum. Which all in total comes up to a little bit under 155 (just like last month 5 over budget, but last month I was able to wait longer, ai ai ai)

I do have a confession, I had a work personal talk yesterday and while it wasn't bad it wasn't the outcome I was hoping for. I ended up watching youtube videos and saw one that said "Full face with Dior", and was a sucker and made an order on the Dior site for just under 150€. I tried twice and twice it gave me a server error, but when I logged in on another browser they both appear in my order list? So weird. Nothing has been reserved on my visa. Anyways I already shot them a mail that I want to cancel one (obviously) but not even sure if the money for the first one was received. So if I can cancel it I will, if not I will take it and make either March, April, June or July a no buy month for anything beauty.

First depends when the Chanel Les Beiges collection hits the site (love Les Beiges, pick up at least one thing each year), and I hope I will hate the Chanel summer collection lol.

I had my eyes on the Nars overlust? afterglow? the cheek palette but seems like that will be pushed to the back burner. Def will need to buy foundation next month, I will work with what I have this month.

Does anyone have any tips how to be stronger and stick to resolutions more?
I need to be able to step off the buying train for whenever I'm sad. I don't even buy for myself alone, I buy for everyone because of the shopping high :(

Anyways let me say it officially: I am done for the month!
🤔 not easy , get off the internet, maybe? I know i when i trained more are work more or see my friends more i’m less on the internet and spend less also binge watching something in Netflix but really i also have the same problem so who i ‘ m i to give advice 🤷🏻‍♀️

r0mini0n

I work in webdesign so I'm on the internet all the time, but even if I wasn't at work I'd still use it at home. I don't think I could live without the internet, sad truth! I know I should not get so involved in youtube and sign off on brands on Instagram or e-mails,I just can't get myself to do it. Paypal is too easy as well. I'm a marketeers dream, I fall for anything as well lol. Especially if I already like it, doesn't take long to convince me!

Speaking of the Dior thing, I saw that they cancelled an order and the first one hasn't come through on the card yet. I don't even think the payment went through. Yet no reply to my mail.

fur4elise

Muah! 😘

Hi!!! So January recap!
I spend some money.... ok that was nice see you! will be back next month!!! LOL

ARgh!

From a local designer I purchased the cutest pink top see below (not me in the picture it's her IG page)
View attachment 67269

Can I just say I love / lust a good sleeve...this is super cute!

I WANT SO MUCH THINGS ! :cry: - Don't we all?! 🤪

Win for the month
I really wanted the Natasha Denona Love palette but I have her cranberry palette and it is the same colours and the other half i have those colours ten time in my other palettes and singles.
So i no dont want it anymore.
🏆
I'm making good progress in finishing makeup (foundation, panning a palette, hitting pan on some eyeshadows, redescovering old palettes etc.) -
This was an inadvertent goal for 2019 ~ It has also shown me exactly what I keep coming back to again and again. I actually tossed a Guerlain 4 Seasons because it was down to pan and just fell apart.

fur4elise

FITbit versa do you need to wear a waist ban for heart beat? I have a polar M400 and the first time that gave up was the heart beat monitor with the waist ban. it still count my steps and my distance but I know after 2 years it is already dated. mind you i'm not a gadget girl I only need to have a stop watch for when i'm running in the city and I need to stop at some intersection but sometimes it is nice to just more data on your workout.

In years past I used several different Polar models including the HR7 strap, the A300, A360 and I think a straight forward HR monitor...cannot remember the model name. Then Fitbit came out with a model like a Polar that did not require wearing the chest strap...which for me is a pain in the tush. I wear the Versa to track my training and activity, I use it to prompt me to move hourly during the work week, and as an alarm clock (silent vibrate mode). I guess it is more of a lifestyle tool than anything. I like getting my weekly reports...they keep me aware and accountable. I really like it alot. :)

lenchen

Suddenly every beauty YouTuber I watch is speaking of these brushes. A couple of years ago I would have fallen for it so hard, now I just back away when something starts to pop up so suddenly. Maybe if it was just Mel T or Michele W but since they started doing collabs with brands I'm iffy. Plus Hannah LP mentions them and I don't trust her at all, she's become such a PR shell out. Anything she mentions I will carefully avoid.
I agree 100%

VAL4M

In years past I used several different Polar models including the HR7 strap, the A300, A360 and I think a straight forward HR monitor...cannot remember the model name. Then Fitbit came out with a model like a Polar that did not require wearing the chest strap...which for me is a pain in the tush. I wear the Versa to track my training and activity, I use it to prompt me to move hourly during the work week, and as an alarm clock (silent vibrate mode). I guess it is more of a lifestyle tool than anything. I like getting my weekly reports...they keep me aware and accountable. I really like it alot. :)
oops yes chest strap gueez my english is so rusty lol thanks for understanding me!

fur4elise

Does anyone have any tips how to be stronger and stick to resolutions more?

I need to be able to step off the buying train for whenever I'm sad. I don't even buy for myself alone, I buy for everyone because of the shopping high :(

I think there many different ways to change a habit. The thing is it is challenging but once you change your mindset and say no that first time, it can get easier. What do I do when I'm tempted?:
  • I add the temptation to a lust list - This keeps me from impulse buying. By putting whatever IT is, on my list, I remove it from my immediate thoughts.
  • I redirect / distract myself - I go do something else...play with the cat, dog...go for a walk, go get coffee, talk text email...
  • Make it a real reward for accomplishing something. I am the queen of delayed gratification!
  • Focus on making memories vs.buying things. Another lady here shared that with us couple years ago. She talked about how not spending so much money on frivilous things, allowed her to do fun things like, go to concerts, go away for the weekend, extended travel...all because she started saving money.
When I started it was hard and I slipped up now and again, but it does get easier! Let's keep chatting on this! You have lots of support here!
:hugs:

Last edited:

r0mini0n

I think there many different ways to change a habit. The thing is it is challenging but once you change your mindset and say no that first time, it can get easier. What do I do when I'm tempted?:
  • I add the temptation to a lust list - This keeps me from impulse buying. By putting whatever IT is, on my list, I remove it from my immediate thoughts.
  • I redirect / distract myself - I go do something else...play with the cat, dog...go for a walk, go get coffee, talk text email...
  • Make it a real reward for accomplishing something. I am the queen of delayed gratification!
  • Focus on making memories vs.buying things. Another lady here shared that with us couple years ago. She talked about how not spending so much money on frivilous things, allowed her to do fun things like, go to concerts, go away for the weekend, extended travel...all because she started saving money.
When I started it was hard and I slipped up now and again, but it does get easier! Let's keep chatting on this! You have lots of support here!

Thank you so much for the tips! I think the lust list is something I should definitely follow!
I also learned again this month that buying new things from the internet doesn't seem to work out for me that well. I either don't like the product or the shade is not what it seemed. I need to shift my mentality that one failed thing does not make a failed year. Still ten more months to go!

I am honestly very grateful to have you ladies to talk to here! There is nobody I know irl that is (that much) into makeup that they would even understand I need a budget to contain myself.

Little update: I got the Dior order cancelled. I did pick up one item from the three that I ordered at a 25% discount somewhere else which puts me over my budget. I also replaced an eyebrow palette with that discount but I am granting myself to not count this towards my budget because I only buy a product like that every 2 years to refresh.

I am making a little breathing room as well, decluttered a bunch of old lipsticks along with some powders that I never ever used anymore but still let sit. I have enough to still use without buying more!
In other news, we had a huge tree fall down because of a storm and had a little breakdown at work which led to a conversation that was much needed. I will however not distract buy buying things but am just trying to get it out of my head now!

Again, very glad you ladies are allowing me to take up space here! and while it is a marketing scheme, happy valentine to all :)

lenchen

These are really great tips! The experiences v. Things really hit home for me and I've been trying to do that for the last few years..

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...
  • MAC Strobe Cream (original)
  • Milk Makeup Blur Liquid Matte Foundation - Porcelain
  • NARS RCC - Chantilly
  • Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
  • Hourglass Veil Translucent Setting Powder
  • MAC Prep and Prime 24-Hour Extend Eye Base
  • ABH Eyeshadow - Stone
  • Bobbi Brown Downtown Cool Palette - Brunette (brows), Cool Grey (lid)
  • Revlon So Fierce! Mascara
  • The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder - 02
  • wet'n'wild Liquid Catsuit High Shine - mix of Mauve It Over + Caught You Bare Naked

fur4elise

Thank you so much for the tips! I think the lust list is something I should definitely follow!

I am making a little breathing room as well, decluttered a bunch of old lipsticks along with some powders that I never ever used anymore but still let sit. I have enough to still use without buying more!

Decluttering for the Win-Win! 🏆

More about how my lust list works ~ If I have added an item it is usually because it is a new release being played up and it caught my eye. What happens next is this:

• I wait for real world reveiws and swatches - This has helped with either eliminating the item from the list e.g. Poor quality product, colors wont' work, poor value for the money, etc. AND it keeps me from making a purchase I will not be happy with. I dislike having to return things!
  • I shop my stash! Like most I think I am drawn to things I already like. Chances are I have a suitable dup or very likely already have a similar item in my wardrobe...often this leads to me pulling it out and using it.
  • If the item survives the first two steps listed above, then I must really really like it ;) LOL! What I do is add it to my :heart: list (ulta, sephora, beautylish, brand website...). Then I wait until there is a sale / coupon. Sometimes I will end up purchasing the item, sometimes I don't.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I have a Google Doc that serves as a cumulative wishlist (I also use loves list/wishlist/favourites features on various sites). I have it broken down into sections (eyes, face, lips, multi-use, brushes/other tools), then further down into categories (e.g.: eyeshadow, mascara, foundation/tinted moisturizer/CC cream, lipstick). I add something when it catches my eye and wait it out for a while. Every so often I go through my wishlists/various sites, and if something that once caught my eye doesn't anymore, I take it out. And then I try to prioritize.

shellygrrl

Staff member
  • MAC Strobe Cream (original)
  • MUFE Step 1 - Hydrating Primer
  • NARS RCC - Chantilly
  • Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
  • MAC Eyeshadows - Omega (crease) and Indian Ink (lashline)
  • Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Baby Face (lid)
  • CoverGirl eyeshadow stick - Primadonna (inner corner)
  • Bobbi Brown Downtown Cool Palette - Brunette (brows)
  • surratt beauty Expressioniste Brow Pomade
  • MAC Blush - Next to Skin
  • MAC Lipstick - Blankety
  • Bite Beauty Matte Crème Lip Crayon - Glacé

shellygrrl

Staff member
  • NARS RCC - Chantilly
  • Bobbi Brown Downtown Cool Palette - Cool Grey (brows)
  • surratt beauty Expressioniste Brow Pomade
  • ABH Eyeshadow - Buon Fresco (lids and blended upward)
  • MAC Eyeshadow - Typographic (visible lid and lashlines)
  • MAC Lipstick - Blankety
  • wet'n'wild Liquid Catsuit High Shine - Caught You Bare Naked

fur4elise

heart-valentine-s-day-clip-art.jpg
Low / No Buy Journal 2020

February

Purchases ~ No color beauty products. Skincare focused.

eBay –
  • Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Melt Away Cleansing Balm 3.4 oz
  • Peter Thomas Roth (PTR) Firmx 360 Eye Renewal - Replenish
  • PTR Un-Wrinkle Eye Concentrate – I used up my ELANR Eye Matrix. Since I am having really nice results with other PTR products, I am going to give this a try.
  • PTR Peptide 21 Wrinkle Resist Serum (Backup)
  • Kopari Coconut Glow Shimmer Oil – I used a sample packet of this while on vacation and fell in love.
Beautylish –
Sonia G Sky Eye brush set
. Being super limited and missing the first release, I was not going to let this go by again. Technically this would push me over my set budget. So I chose to do flexible payments (a total of 3). Although I am tapping into my budget for March & April, it still leaves me breathing room for replenishing essentials and participating in the spring sales if I want too. I also purchased the Good Molecules Niacinamide Toner.

Total Spent: -$228.49 - However, I received my Rakuten payment (Cash to PayPal - The boosted giftcard option was not offered). This cut my out of pocket total to -$122.23. :thumbsup:

Favorites:heart:
I really like the Farmacy cleansing balm! It’s not that the Clinique was not effective…it just isn’t that pleasant of a product. I love the light “green” scent of the Farmacy.

Mascara Round Up: None this month

Marscara Rotation: Laura Mercier Caviar Volume; Hourglass Caution Extreme; stila Magnum XXX

Future Fringe: L’Oréal Bambi Eyes, TF Damn Girl; PMcG FetishEyes, MJ Velvet Noir

Used Up:
ELANR Serum .50 oz
PTR Peptide 21 Moisturizer
(the bottle lasted me 4 months)

Disposed Of:
Eyeshadow singles
(pans and pots – a total of 45 😳) UD, MUFE, Tarte, MAC, Ben Nye, Inglot ~ Showing no mercy, I emptied out a MUFE XL palette, along with several pots I have not reached for.

It’s funny! I swear the continuous onslaught of eyeshadow palette releases trigger me…to reevaluate my wardrobe and continue to declutter on a regular basis. A shot of bourbon on ice also does not hurt in helping the tossing process along. Hashtag FeelNoPain! ;)

Gave Away:
Becca x JH Champagne Pop Palette
(Don’t use and really don’t care for her); B&BW Shower Gel & Lotion (A gift – Unfortunately those products don’t agree with my skin 😔) First Aid Beauty samples; Clinque DD Hydrating Jelly (I have switched to a serum loaded moisturizer) = Happy Student Worker!

Since I went in hard for the Sonia G brushes, I gave away (to a sister in beauty ;) ) 4 WG brushes (good tools I don’t reach for). I also gave 2 Real Techniques blush brushes and a white MJ The Bronze brush to the same student above. I really coveted the MJ brush but it was too dense and blocky for how I wanted to use it. It is all good though. They will all go to good homes, thereby also making room for a couple of SG face brushes I would like to add when they restock.

On My Radar:

• Madison Reed Haircolor - 4VR Volterra Amethyst - Was on the list last month, but did not get it.
  • EL DW in Toasty Toffee & Henna – I am just about out of both shades. I do have a couple sample bottles of each, that should get me through until there is a sale.
  • PTR Peptide 21 Moisturizer (I opened my backup, but no rush)
  • Eyebrow Gel - (clear or colored)
  • MUFE Ultra HD Microfinishing Loose Powder – Hands down, still my favorite finishing powder. I am on the dregs of my current jar.
Big Girl Stuff:
If you follow higher ed. at all, you kind of know things are imploding all over the place
…or as I like to say on the daily, “Sh*t is hitting the fan!” For my institution, a continuing decline in enrollment has led to: Merging of programs, cancellation of programs, sudden layoffs, the offer of early retirement (for the 2nd time) to those who qualify, staffing restructure, budget cuts and mid-year budget adjustments…This in turn has led to and exacerbated fear, distrust, low morale, territoriality, toxicity…While I have been excited about all the good things we have been doing since May 19, it is hard not to be affected by these factors. The truth is things are not going to get better any time soon! So my colleague and I have doubled down on staying focused on what we do, continuing to work hard and advancing all good things library. I remain realistically optimistic!

Healthstuffs:
My back is definitely doing better.
I am able to do my cardio activities and weight training, pretty much full out. I think the stretching and ab work has really helped Still no dance fitness classes though. 😥 I am super leery of aggravating or reinjuring my back, so I am avoiding it for now.

I am really digging my Flexispot desk riser and Topo Mini mat! I think this has also helped my back! The first week I had it set up, I got so many compliments on the cool factor! Not only has it helped with my back, it has also helped with my energy and productivity. I easily stand for 3/4 of my work day and think nothing of it. The mat definitely makes this possible as my feet and legs feel really good.

Aside from a small window of gray day slump, I am in pretty good spirits. Spring is just around the corner! Which means more daylight, more sun, warmer days and getting outside. Something puppy loves too! All those things make me happy and motivate me.🌞

Homestuffs:
And with spring comes…duh, duh, duh! Spring Cleaning - aka Elise’s Annual Spring/Summer Dekrappification!
I am ready for this too! I think I am going to go in hard and really Marie Kondo my closets and drawers. I even scheduled a day off this week to do all things house. The upside is Bossman is away for 8 days. He is actually doing a “bucketlist” thing with his son. They towed his little car down to Florida to have custom work done. The car will be at the shop for the week. So he and his son are having a “guy’s” vacation. I am really happy for him. Good time to bond with his son, who also works for him too. This means I will have free brain cells, time and energy to get some other long overdue things done…like finish painting the lower level, touch up some areas, hang pictures and artwork, etc.

And that is all she wrote for February! For a winter month that is normally pretty quiet, it has been a busy month. I am okay with it! Coz' Spring! 🌺🌼🌸🌹
Wishing you all a fabulous week! x0x0x

Last edited:

VAL4M

HI,
Soooo I was good in February!
I purchased one dress on thredup 40$
MAKEUP
8 singles eyeshadows on the Give me Glow website .... for 100$ CAN the 23$ shipping charge kind of sucks but they finally had a lot of shades I wanted so I pulled the trigger

Next planned purchased
New running shoes.... I'm waiting for spring as we still have snow and rain and shitty weather but I need to buy those shoes a month before my marathon (May 31st) so I can ''break'' them

May 15th is Fluevog day so I want to buy the cutest oxford red shoes (they have a 15% discount on that day so that why I need to wait!)

MAYBE

Huda mint mini palette - I dont owned any Huda eyeshawdows, they never tempte me (light nude was cute but I know I had those shades) I dont owned the CP mint palette and I find Huda way prettier but I dont know will wait for review to see how they performed

Empties and DECLUTTER (it took me a couple of months but still proud of the amount I was able to use up)
1583284904524.png

NaomiH

I was a part of the old thread(s) but I haven't posted in Specktra for far too long. I had been doing so well for awhile but then I fell back into my old habit. 😩I'm now recommiting to going on a serious low buy and am working on using up my stash and am also working on destashing as well. 😊

r0mini0n

I was afraid to post this so I hesitated because I don't want to be the Debbie Downer in this thread, but my February was a fail and I need to document it somewhere to really keep reading this. In total I spent around 650$ on makeup, makeup tools and skincare (which as you know I picked up my most expensive serum with a very generous giftcard that led me to not pay much).

I don't know how I fell of the wagon even harder when I was already off, but I had a lot of stress situations these past months and February in particular was not a good month in my job at all. I had a couple of days off work in the last week of Feb, so I decided to back2Mac some items. The closest Mac counter to me is actually in France (I live about half an hour away from it) and being in a "holiday mood", I got a little too spendy. At Mac I qualified for four lipsticks (my mom was with me so she picked two and I picked two), but then I also picked up a blush and a prep and prime for my lips. Being located in a department store I stopped at the Estee Lauder counter to pick up my replacement foundation (which btw has gone up 5€ in my country, I don't know if this is a worldwide thing?)
Then I passed the Chanel counter and saw the brush I was wanting for ages but isn't available in my country anymore, so I snapped that up. And then of course I topped it off with a visit to Sephora - when in France I guess - where I racked up the highest of bills on things I didn't need or didn't need that soon (the Nars blush palette, two Nars lipsticks, a KVD blush that I love the tone but hate the packaging so that already went to my mom, three Guerlain products and a new Sephora micellar water).

I know it's done but I can't stop beating myself up over it, because at what time do I clean up my act...

The good news is that I really went through my collection and I decluttered even more: I did away with all my Mac blushes apart from two from last year and the new one, I got rid of at least 20 bronzers, 25 big lip crayons and 25 lipsticks. Most of these items were expired for some years and I just wanted to get rid of something. I only bought two new lipsticks to replace the decluttered ones so that is good I guess. I really need to take another look at my blushes and my eyeshadows and lipliners, I can't seem to declutter them that much. But at least now my storage has room to breath again and it's all put away neatly.

My focus is on this month and on April to try to be as good as possible. I had to buy two hairbrushes this month (does that count?) along with 2 replacement Beauty Blenders, but now I'm done with the replacements for a while. The only thing I will not be able to resist and will never tell myself not to get is the Les Beiges collection coming up, that has a special meaning for me.
I will however be more selective in my choices and limit it to three items. If those come online in March I will pick them up off the site and do a no buy in April (truly!). I will hold off now on buying anything until Les Beiges. And as May is my bday month I will ask for giftcards so I can use them for future repurchase of foundation and perfume (finished one the month and my other one is halfway through)

Looking back I realize that the first items I bought this month from that Asia Chanel collection were a mistake, I didn't need it. However I actually took back the lipstick I decluttered to my mom because I did away all my pink lipsticks, so sparkle or no sparkle I will be wearing that thing.
Lucky my mom is a good sport lol.

I am glad to get this off my chest. Thank you for letting me post these long rambles and I just want to say that you all did very well this February! I'm hoping to come in with few words myself in March/April!
TLDR: thanks for letting this be a place for me to share my journey, I am hoping it's more uphill from here on out!​

Latest posts