Resolution Low-Buy 2021

LadyBug13

February update:

Purchases: $45.38 (My blow dryer started shooting out sparks so I bought a new one, along with some hair gel)

Number of products used up: 5 (body soap wash, eye cream, niacinamide serum, 2 hair and scalp treatments)

Number of items decluttered: 2 (peach highlighter pretty old), foundation)

February observances: I revised the PMG Sumblime foundation but I decluttered it because it expired plus the shade I had (23), when applied, looked very yellow-based, but dried down reddish. If I want to revisit it, I'll try looking for a shade that’s more neutral. I'm also noticing that I enjoy focusing on having clear skin so that I can wear minimal makeup. Also, I didn't play around with eyeshadow and lip looks like I wanted.

March focus: Continue shopping my stash AND try out a new eyeshadow look and lip combo once a week.

fur4elise

I hope you're feeling better now!
Thank you Shelly! :heart: I am fortunate to say I am back to 100% in many ways. No lingering effects. I had moderate symptoms. The dead giveaway was the night before I went to get tested was the complete loss of taste and smell! After that the struggle was fatigue. No breathing problems or cough. The rest of the symptoms were that of mild flu/cold. I was shut down for 10 days. On the flip side it was the most rest I had in years. I've never binge watched so much Netflix and Prime like I did during that time.

shellygrrl

Staff member
  • Becca SSP - Pearl
  • Kosas Tinted Face Oil - 02
  • Kosas Revealer Concealer - 02, then 01 over the top
  • Fenty Beauty powder bronzer - Inda Sun
  • Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
  • MAC Prep & Prime 24-Hour Extend Eye Base
  • Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Faux Fur (brows)
  • surratt beauty Expressioniste Brow Pomade
  • mix of ABH Eyeshadows - Warm Taupe and Birkin
  • Ilia Limitless Lash Mascara

Last edited:

shellygrrl

Staff member
  • Kosas Revealer Concealer - 01
  • Hourglass Veil Translucent Loose Setting Powder
  • ABH Eyeshadow - Birkin

shellygrrl

Staff member
  • Bobbi Brown Downtown Cool Palette - Cool Brown (brows)
  • ABH Eyeshadow - Buon Fresco
  • Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Concrete Jungle

shellygrrl

Staff member
  • Bobbi Brown Downtown Cool Palette - Brunette (brows)
  • MAC Eyeshadow - Sumptuous Olive

lenchen

Thank you Shelly! :heart: I am fortunate to say I am back to 100% in many ways. No lingering effects. I had moderate symptoms. The dead giveaway was the night before I went to get tested was the complete loss of taste and smell! After that the struggle was fatigue. No breathing problems or cough. The rest of the symptoms were that of mild flu/cold. I was shut down for 10 days. On the flip side it was the most rest I had in years. I've never binge watched so much Netflix and Prime like I did during that time.
I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better!

shellygrrl

Staff member
Toward the end of March I ordered some stuff from EM Cosmetics to try out, and those products came in yesterday!

• EM Cosmetics Color Drops Serum Blush - Rose Milk
  • EM Cosmetics Micro-Fluff Sculpting Brow Cream - Universal Taupe
  • ABH Eyeshadow - Warm Taupe
  • EM Cosmetics Pick Me Up Volume and Length Mascara

shellygrrl

Staff member
  • MAC Paint Pot - Camel Coat

shellygrrl

Staff member
  • Kosas Revealer Concealer - 02 and 01
  • Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
  • ABH Eyeshadow - Warm Taupe

shellygrrl

Staff member
A no foundation and no eyeshadow face today...because I wanted to...
  • Tower 28 Bronzino Cream Bronzer - West Coast
  • EM Cosmetics Color Drop Serum Blush - Rose Milk

shellygrrl

Staff member
Forgot to mention no makeup was purchased by me during April.

• Becca SSP - Pearl
  • Tower 28 Bronzino Cream Bronzer - West Coast (also used lightly on the eyelids)
  • mix of Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Faux Fur + MAC Eyeshadow - Typographic

shellygrrl

Staff member
  • Makeup Geek Blush - Main Squeeze (through the crease)
  • Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Baby Face (to soften harsh lines)
  • ABH Eyeshadow - Birkin (lid)
  • NARS Afterglow Lip Balm - Dolce Vita

fur4elise

SpringFlowers.png

Yikes...it's been a minute. I cannot believe we are already 1/2 way through May...What the French Toast. Ummm, so this will be a catch-up for March & April.

Purchases:
March
~ The month started off with not much on my radar. I was hoping Benefit (my favorite) would put their brow pencils on sale. Ultimately, they offered a 3-piece, full size set almost 60% off. I was able to get my pencil, replenish my brow set and try out their Gimme Brow tinted gel. Speaking of brows, check out this quick tutorial from Wayne Goss. Spring calls for a refresh and I like trying out new application techniques.

Ulta – I thought I was going to skirt the Ulta 21 Days...Best intentions. However, there were a few items I wanted to replenish and to try.
  • Tarte Ultra Creamy Shape Tape – too good to pass up at 50% off. I was able to replenish and purchase the same shade I use in the original formula. I have also been using a super fluffy brush to apply concealer. A new technique that makes application even, smooth and helps dry the product quicker.
  • UDPP – I disposed of all my e/s primers in January (almost empty /past shelf life). I realized I miss using a primer, especially when I am doing a colorful eye and/or using more glittery shadows (minimizes fallout).

Beautylish Good Molecules – Discoloration Serum, (2) bottles of the long time OOS Super Peptide Serum and Niacinamide Toner. By the by, GM had finally arrived at Ulta. Yay!

April ~
Got a great deal on PTR Retinol Fusion serum (QVC) - Essentially 6 months supply that will allow me to determine if I get desirable results.

I also took advantage of the Sephora sale on sale for Marc Jacobs. I purchased the Accomplice Beauty Powder and 2 shades of liquid See-Quins I did not have. I did not buy anything else during the Sephora sale.

I also added two StriVectin products to my regimen - StriVectin Multi-Action Super-C Retinol Brighten & Correct Serum and Multi-Action R&R Eye cream.

Used Up / Disposed Of / Gave Away / Donated:
Used Up:
Sol De Janeiro Coco Cabana Cream
- Not sure if I will replenish this. I am loving the Bum Bum Cream. Curlsmith Double Cream Deep Quencher - opened back-up
Good Molecules Brightening Serum - I will not replenish this. I don’t feel it really did anything for me. the Ordinary Buffet; Buffet with Copper Peptides – opened back-up

Disposed Of:
PTR Potent-C Serum & Eye Cream
– Both were just about empty. I will not replenish these as I am trying the StriVectin Multi-Action Super-C Retinol Brighten & Correct and Multi-Action R&R Eye cream. Kate Somerville Retinol Serums – Old. Laneige Lip Mask (a few minis & half used full size). Assortment of mascaras (Hit expiration date)

Gave away:
Clothing, shoes, household item to – Goodwill

I also gave away a LE Chanel highlighter. It was a FOMO purchase, I never used; the Hourglass palette I purchased. It just didn’t do it for me. I also culled my stash for beauty samples. All were given to a student worker. I am so sad. She graduated last week.

I've stayed in / under budget and have made very few makeup purchases - Foundation and concealer. I am really loving both the Clinique Even Better Clinical Serum Foundation and corresponding Even Better All-Over Concealer. The formulas just seem to melt into my skin. It never feels heavy or mask like. My focus really has been on consistent skin care...and some days I am really loving the results. I am no spring chicken, so anything that plumps and minimizes wrinkles, I am on it. I mentioned the StriVectin and I am enjoying both of those products.

Speaking of taking care - FitGirl Stuffs...
I ditched the "cult" of Peleton after the two month trial. I just could not vibe with the feels. Just off to me. However, I did rediscover Les Mills programming - Body Combat, Body Attack, RPM, Body Pump...Again I am taking advantage of a 30 day trial. So far, I am loving it...and have not been this sore in eons. I also started a program called Omada, offered free through my health plan. While I am not having any health issues, I am overweight. I am trying to find a better new normal (post-competitive bodybuilding). I think a little guidance and accountability will be good for me! ;)

Work has been steadily busy from winter right into spring. The semester ended a couple weeks ago and I will be taking a breather for the rest of the month. I am ready for a break. It is going to be a "staycation" as hubs is already full tilt in his work season. It's all good! I will be working on some more landscaping and get the garden cleaned up and ready to be planted.

Okay, going to end it here, as this was a pretty lengthy post. As always wishing all of you well and hoping you are happy healthy and enjoying spring.

x0x0x

❤️ 🧡 💛 💚 💙 💜

Last edited:

shellygrrl

Staff member
  • Tower 28 Bronzino Cream Bronzer - West Coast
  • NARS Blush - Sex Fantasy
  • Bobbi Brown Downtown Cool Palette - Brunette + a little bit of Cool Brown (brows)
  • Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Baby Face (lid)
  • Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Concrete Jungle (lash line)
  • ABH Eyeshadow - Stone (crease)
  • NARS Afterglow Lip Balm - Clean Cut (haven't listed it during my past FOTDs but I've been wearing this a lot)

makeupbyomar

Hope I understand this thread correctly 😬

- Blot paper packs, by Life Brand and Clean & Clear
- Nanoblur, by Indeed

Only 2 episodes in and I've already used up 6 blot paper packs and 3 tubes of Nanoblur. 10 more episodes to go and the Summer heat begins... this week...🤪

Thank goodness, I mean Thank Production, that they / I have a budget for these.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I'm going to share the correct link to the original Low Buy thread from 2014, so you can see how it originated. (Most of those who participated in that have not posted here in several years.)

https://www.specktra.net/threads/resolution-low-buy-2014-who-wants-to-play.108645/

All these years later, the main point is still to encourage more mindful makeup purchases when they do occur and to use what we own.

I'll also note that the vast majority of us on Specktra are not professional makeup artists but enthusiasts, so we don't "need" a huge collection. At the same time, we still love makeup, so our stashes may contain more than most peoples' do but less than what a professional may need in a kit.

Latest posts