Returning used/opened makeup

sweetie

Hmmmm. This post really made me think. But I still don't have a problem with returning makeup that doesn't work especially when the S/A's seem to really use the return policy as a selling tool. I was at a MAC counter earlier this week experimenting with some MSF's and trying to decide and the S/A who was helping me constantly told me "well just take it home and try it you can always bring it back within 30 days". I personally appreciate the option of being able to return makeup that does not work for me. God knows I've wasted enough money through out the years on stuff that just wasn't quite right at home. I am not one to abuse the return system (whatever the definition of abusing is) but I will very rarely purchase from somewhere that I can not return and purposely choose to shop at those stores with a good return policy. The policy is there to make sure that customers are happy so I don't feel bad for utilizing it.

Now I have to admit that I never thought about all the makeup being destroyed. That does make me a little sad
ssad.gif
as someone else stated. I also agree with the poster about attachment which is why I'll try and try to make an item work before returning. But if i can't get it to work then back it goes. And it's OK.

mochabean

I hate returning makeup too. But I only return things that I can't use due to skin reaction, color not what I expected, or I break out. So first I try to sell things here on Specktra or swap it. Then if thats a no go, I'm able to return it. Suprisingly, if you order thru MAC online, they have no return date policy. I was able to return something I bought like 4 or 5 months ago for a full refund. I was suprised they would accept a return that late, but that's what they told me when I called them. And sure enough, I got my refund 2 weeks later.

akcmommy

I don't mind returning items that I have purchased but didn't like. If the MAs @ the counter were less stingy w/ their time and showed me how the color would actually look on my face, rather than my hand, i wouldn't be buying all of this stuff that doesn't work when I get it home.

ohshnappp

I do feel bad thinking about all the makeup that goes to waste, but it's not enough to keep me from getting my money back for things I know I'm not going to use. Ultimately, it is my money and it's the company that is offering the return policy. Of course, abusing the return policy is another story...

Eire3

I have a question...I would be grateful if someone could answer to this...

I bought almost a week ago the Studio Sculpt foundation. For the first three-four days of use I thought it was wonderful but now it's starting to break out my skin.
I'd like to exchange it with another foundation, I still have the recipe.

The problem is: I live in Europe, anyone knows if I can do this here?
I know that in US and UK it's allowed but I don't know what's the situation here...I'm really feeling I wasted 30 euros...I don't want my money back, just a product that won't turn my skin in an horrible mask...

TIA
smiles.gif

palatial

I've never returned anything although there are definitely a few things that were sold to me by a pushy MA that I have hardly ever used. I probably should have returned them but I usually end up convincing myself that I'll make it work somehow (then never do). If I ever got a product that gave me a rash or irritation or something I would return it right away.

Otherwise I usually end up selling stuff on here or on LJ because I hate to think of wasting it lol!
th_LMAO.gif

andrrea

I haven`t returned much makeup, but I don`t feel bad when I do. Sometimes when you look at something at home it just doesn`t work for you!!!

Enchantedcameo

I have only returned two things before a lipstick and lipstick primer that I bought from Mac and regreted buying it after I left. I felt really under pressure from the MA so I made a rash desicion. I felt really bad about returning but I ended up exchanging them for the Tempting Quad, Peachykeen blush and Luna CCB so I didn't feel so bad when I left the counter.

coachkitten

I am returning studio sculpt because it broke me out BADLY! I gave it three weeks. With any color product like eye shadows or lipstick I will just find a way to make it work but I can't keep a product that breaks me out. I NEVER return MAC products so I feel a bit bad.

OfficerJenny

I've returned two products to MAC.

When they gave me the wrong mascara.
When they gave me the wrong pigment.

I've never had anything that I absolutely could not work. Even if it isn't my favorite. But, I know that I wouldn't feel bad returning something if I felt the need to, because I rarely return anything.

LatinaRose

It always amazes me the things people feel bad over. If its an item I think I can sell here, I do. If its easier to just return it, I do. End of story.

inconspicuous

I think both ways on this matter. On the one hand, it's a damn shame that the makeup gets destroyed if it's been used, but on the other hand, MAC is a pricey makeup brand (though by no means the most expensive out there) and sometimes it's just not feasible to keep and use something that cost you a lot of money, but just won't work.

That said, I think if I bought some makeup and used it and then decided I didn't like it, I'd try to sell it on before thinking of returning it. As it is, I've only returned one thing to MAC - and that was just this past Sunday. I went in on Saturday and bought a bunch of eyeshadows, a powerpoint pencil, and asked for the 226 brush. Well, I was in a big rush, and the sales assistant rang everything up and I left. It wasn't until I was sitting at a restaurant some three hours later with my friend that I finally had the chance to go through my purchases, and realized he'd given me the 228 brush! Ordinarily I'd have kept it, since it was only £13, and either used it or sold it on. But this month money is ridiculously tight (Damn you, Hello Kitty, damn you!) and that £13 is what it costs me to get to work in a week. So, I returned it, unused, still in the slip and in the bag I'd bought it in the day before, and explained that I was given the wrong brush and just wanted to exchange for the right one. She was really helpful, but now I can't help but wonder if that brush will just be tossed, even though it never left the clear sleeve it came in...

romi79_2008

I don`t like the idea of returning used make-up but right now I would if I would be in states. Used to live in US, moved to europe to a country that has no Mac counter. I buy my stuff online in US send them to my parents and they send them to me. LAst month I bought among others painterly paint pot and I `m dissapointed with it because it`s not as creamy as the other ones I have and smells different, like old... so yeah I would return that without feeling bad over it

xxAngelxx

I have only returned one thing ever to MAC (a lip gloss that turned a very ugly orange on me). I tried to make it work, but it was just not happening. I exchanged it for a lip gloss I love.

I'm very careful about what I buy because I don't want to return anything. I never let anyone pressure me into buying and I FIND a way to make my purchases work for me.

I hate chronic returners though. Just because MAC is a large company doesn't mean many returns don't affect them. And when their money is affected, our costs rise. Just my 2 cents.

Curly1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by romi79_2008
I don`t like the idea of returning used make-up but right now I would if I would be in states. Used to live in US, moved to europe to a country that has no Mac counter. I buy my stuff online in US send them to my parents and they send them to me. LAst month I bought among others painterly paint pot and I `m dissapointed with it because it`s not as creamy as the other ones I have and smells different, like old... so yeah I would return that without feeling bad over it

You can return stuff through the MAC online store!

MacAddict09

Ive only returned one item, studio sculpt foundation and I need to try to figure out what shade I am now. I dont feel bad about returning a foundation but other things Id rather swap them. Like mythology, it was the first es I bought and I cant make it work on me.